Rifle Scopes?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Erik

Rifle Scopes?

Post by Erik » Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:35 pm

Hello,

I just ordered a scope mount for my AK-47. Just today, a day or two before I get the mount, I realized I don't actually know ANYTHING about scopes.

Can I find a good scope for around $50, or do I have to buy an expensive scope? What brands/magnifications/types of scopes do you suggest?

I'll also be getting a scope mount soon for my Mauser K98. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Erik

hellion

Post by hellion » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:20 pm

it depends on application, and for both of those calibers I'd rule out any $50 scopes. The only gun I'd put a $50 scope on would be a pellet/bb or .22. a lot of times the recoil from the shot will mess up the focus and zero of the scope.

Aside from that how far out are you wanting to shoot with each, what kind of targets are you going to be shooting, is this hobby or competitive? Everything from EOTechs to Leupolds, just depends on the budget, and application.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Erik

Post by Erik » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:33 pm

I want scope good for shooting a zombie 200-300 yards out with the AK and 500 yards plus with the K98.

-Erik

Gun_Nut_2k1

Post by Gun_Nut_2k1 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:45 pm

The AK is not the gun to be shooting Zeds in the head at 300 yards. I would suggest an Eo Tech or a Trijicon for 75-100 yards shots.
GN
Oneswunk wrote:Interesting idea, but I still prefer the feel of wood in my hands.
tarzan wrote:Not a sound argument for having wood, in my opinion.
Tommy Tran wrote:Before I drop hammer on a 'clear' SG I full finger both tubes!

hellion

Post by hellion » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:27 pm

+1 to what gun nut said, I don't believe AK's are accurate enough at that distance to rely on that. I'd look into an EO Tech or ACOG for CQB on zeds

As for the mauser I'd look at something like like 3-9 x 40 at your local sporting good store. You should be able to pick something up for around $200-300 that will work
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

cougar

Post by cougar » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:49 pm

I have had fantastic luck with BSA scopes.I use their 33mm red dot on my Saiga AK and their whopper 8x32 on my M44 carbine. Affordable and reliable, cant beat them.
If I lite a cigarette, will you go away?

R.I.P HK33k

TheLastRifleMan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TheLastRifleMan » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:11 pm

Don't go overboard on magnification. Actually, a 2x shotgun scope would give you good light gathering, a wide field of view and enough magnification for the ranges an AK is capable of. Seventy five bucks will get you a decent one.

"If ye break faith with those who died,
We shall not sleep..."

Doctor Jest
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Doctor Jest » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:18 pm

I like A1 Optics scopes. Good quality, reasonable price.
I survived ZombieCon 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16!!!
Towanda wrote:When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

hellion

Post by hellion » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:07 am

cougar wrote:I have had fantastic luck with BSA scopes.I use their 33mm red dot on my Saiga AK and their whopper 8x32 on my M44 carbine. Affordable and reliable, cant beat them.
Have you had problems with the zero being disrupted by the recoil or the light breaking? I picked up a cheapie BSA at wal-mart on an impulse buy, for my AR. And after 18 rounds the dot disappeared, the light had some how broken from, I'm assuming, the recoil. I exchanged it but never threw it back on, I had already reset the zero on my carry handle and didn't feel like messing with it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

jetsiphon

Post by jetsiphon » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:14 am

I'm going to voice my own opnion here....

I don't think optics belong on an AK. There's really only one good mount, the side mount, and it's difficult to either use the iron sights or co-witness.

turan8

Post by turan8 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:31 am

Sorry, but that's crap.

Optics belong on an AK just as any rifle. Ever hear of the Kobra sight anyone? Tell me THAT doesn't belong on the AK....
Last edited by turan8 on Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Local AK expert at your beck and call for all PAW consulting services pertaining to Mr. Kalishinakov's marvelous creation.

turan8

Post by turan8 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:45 am

Here's a whole bunch of good AK optics choices....

Local AK expert at your beck and call for all PAW consulting services pertaining to Mr. Kalishinakov's marvelous creation.

jetsiphon

Post by jetsiphon » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:46 am

That's fine. If it works for you, great. If I were to use an optic though, it'd be the Kobra for sure.

My opnion is, why worry about it? Iron sights work fine, if you can't see 'em, get the XS tritium post. I just honestly don't think the AK system really needs 'em. Then again, I don't think any system needs 'em.

I've tried red dot sights on plenty of guns and they just don't work for me.

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:57 am

I like a little magnification at anything over 50 yards, if I've got the choice, especially for headshots. If you can do it with irons, bully for you, but I find optics an advantage even at comparitively close range, so I use 'em.

As for how MUCH magnification, that's sort of up to you. I've got a 4 power on my AR and my FA-91; I find it adequate at 50 yards but wish I had a little more at 100. Bear in mind I'm doing benchrest shooting; if I was running around and shooting stuff I might learn to appreciate a red dot sight real fast.

On an AK, bear in mind the dust cover mounts are SHIT and the Ultimak gas tube mounts only work with intermediate eye relief ("scout") scopes and non-magnifying red dot sights like the Trijicon Reflex or Aimpoint. If you want to mount a true riflescope, you'll need a siderail mount, so you can use scopes like those Turan8 listed.

Also, and this is just my opinion here, if people are telling you that you can't make a headshot with an AK at 300 yards, remember: What they're saying is, THEY can't make a headshot with an AK at 300 yards. Now, personally, I'm just getting good enough to make a headshot at 100 yards, with a scope, on any rifle So I haven't even tried 300. But I'm sure Turan8 will tell you, an AK can shoot straighter than most people can shoot, so practice practice practice, and see what YOU can do with it. I'm certain that with enough practice, a decent scope, and a good AK, you can make a 300 yard headshot.

turan8

Post by turan8 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:57 am

Well, the Kobra in my opinion solves the only thing many people gripe about AK's and that's the sights. It's an honest rant, because the rear AK sight is mounted in the middle of the rifle and dramatically decreases the sighting radius for the rifle.

The Kobra isn't just a good sight by russian standards, but by any standard--my Kobra gets 800hrs of battery life on two AAs and is adjustable in a wide variety of useful ways.

The fact of the matter is that many people who lament that the AK isn't a capable rifle at 300m are really talking about the ability of the AK sights to function at those distances. 300m shots at about the size of a head are no problem with my Kobra sight and decent ammo.

[edit---Thanks Jeriah, you hit the nail on the head.]

jetsiphon

Post by jetsiphon » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:04 am

So, then, other than the Ultimac that, from what I understand, makes the gas tube unable to take off for cleaning with out a tool, and the side mounts, which would require me to drill holes in my reciever, what other mounts are out there?

I'd maybe give it a shot on the AK, if someone can actually bring forward a system that works, is reliable, tough and doesn't cost 500 bux.

TheBlunderbuss

Post by TheBlunderbuss » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:12 am

Erik, I'm considering this thread to be a repost of your earlier post
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... highlight=

But since there's good info in both, I'm not burying either of them.

Just so you know you can continue your story about a topic in the same thread.

Dr Tran

Post by Dr Tran » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:14 am

I'm a scope guy on a low budget, so i get where you're coming from. You really aren't going to be hitting anything at 100yd+ with and AK, so i would choose a scope as if it were a hunting rifle. Try for just a 4x or something close in fixed power. It will be cheaper, more reliable, and most likely easier for you to maintain.

Try:
www.opticsplanet.net

They have good stuff from a lot of brands, and it will be useful even if your just shopping around.
"People sometimes ask me how I can be so cruel and sadistic. I tell them it's because I have the
heart of a young boy, in a jar on my desk next to my paperweight."
-Stephen King

FordGuy2001
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn 04. Resident Evil Films. Zombieland.

Post by FordGuy2001 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:17 am

I have had good luck with Bushnell. I have 2. One for my AR and one for my 10-22.
Fleet # ZS0021
shrapnel wrote: Pancakes, our cat, is more of a badass than any of the humans in the house.
raptor wrote:
America even in the midst of a recession is a nation of plenty; we should not allow children to go hungry.

Duxman

Post by Duxman » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:14 pm

The issue with variable scopes (3x-12x etc.) is that if they are not quality built scopes - you lose the zero - after several shots. Especially if the recoil is significant.

Keep this in mind when buying scopes.

Also depending on the "rings" and "mounts" that you buy - there is a quality aspect involved there as well. Cheap = easy to lose zero and break.

Leupold scopes are the best in Quality. I would highly recommend them if you want to do accurate headshots at 300 yards. Save up some money and buy the best.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/commo ... stid=34956

Most military scopes are usually rated for 2-4 MOA, at 300 yards, its very hard to score accurate headshots at that range. That is why most of them go COM.

So you would have to go with a sniper quality scope.

Keep in mind that ammo quality has a lot to do with the zero as well - if you use 62 grain 5.56mm SS109 ammo for example - your zero would be different if you used a 55 grain 5.56mm round. If you buy Wolf, that zero will be different from S&B's ammo.

Good luck with your choices.

turan8

Post by turan8 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:18 pm

Eric, does your AK have a side rail?

Also, Jetsiphon, what kind of AK do you have?

jetsiphon

Post by jetsiphon » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:46 pm

I have a Mak90.

turan8

Post by turan8 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:42 pm

Well, with not that much skill you can mount a side rail on your MAK 90. There is actually a MAK 90 specific mount manufactured by B-Square but I don't recommend it. It doesn't look so secure.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mpaign=657

I would recommend putting a side rail on, like the AK-74 rail from Kalinka optics.

Yes.....I know it's not much of an answer, but, for scoping an AK--it's the only way to go.

Politenessman

Post by Politenessman » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:51 pm

How about these guys?
http://www.scoutscopes.com/

I'm thinking about getting one for my SKS. Anyone used them or looked at them?
British by birth, American by choice.
Bespoke shooting accessories Retro Tactical - Get Yours here!

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”