Garand or AR-15?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Which is better?

Garand
45%
AR-15
55%

Total votes: 71

Erik

Garand or AR-15?

Post by Erik » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:07 pm

Simple question: Which is better - a Garand or AR-15?

-Erik

SuFiPirate

Post by SuFiPirate » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:08 pm

Depends on what you want it for.

Master Shake

Post by Master Shake » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:15 pm

The two realy have nothing in common except that they're both used by the military.

AR15- modern, light, low recoil, hi capacity, known to sometimes have problems in the field.

M1- old, simple, like gettin kicked in the shoulder, stuck with 8 rounds.

I guess the only other thing is common is the price.
SRA, Expert Marksman (50 out of 50), USAF

tommygun

Post by tommygun » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:45 pm

Master Shake wrote:M1- old, simple, like gettin kicked in the shoulder, stuck with 8 rounds.
You forgot "built like a tank". Hard to fuck up a Garand.
Behold a pale horse, and the name of him who sat upon it was Death, and Hell followed with him.

theomegaman.org

Erik

Post by Erik » Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:45 pm

If you could only have one of the two abovementioned rifles to defend yourself against a civil or zombie uprising, which would you prefer? They cost the same and I'm buying one.

-Erik

Trebor

Post by Trebor » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:12 pm

I own five Garands. I have yet to buy an AR 15. 'Nuff said.
----
R.I.P HK33K - Gone, but not forgetten.

AwPhuch

Post by AwPhuch » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:13 pm

Apples to oranges man...

The A-1 is a mogetting ass stomping 30-06 thats its only flaw was the 8 round enbloc clip, you had to fire all of the rounds, you couldnt reload partial...either 8 or nothing, then the clip pops out with a very loud PING

The AR is a small ultra fast round, but has the removable mags and all that

You cant compare them...get the AR (its more modern, the ammo is cheaper, parts are cheaper, and you have 30 rounds in easy to reload mags), the M-1 is great, but not without major backup, but I guarantee you put a scope on that sucker you could easily hit someone at 800 yards or more!

Make sure you clean the teeny gas piston though..that was another of the M-1 major weakness..it carboned up rather quickly which means it wouldnt cycle properly (the little piston only moved about 1/2 inch)
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms - Should be a convenience store, not a Governmental entity
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

One Of None
Location: Homebrewing.... Disguise your drinking problem as a hobby!

Post by One Of None » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:32 pm

Depends what you want it for. 8 round internal mag or 30 round detachable mag.
http://www.deadseasonmusic.com/music" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Click me, crank me, buy me.
Dead Season has bubble gum. But they're still here to kick ass.
Your ass.
squinty wrote:
Sometimes I like it rough, I like the way it kicks me. But I need to have as much in the tube as possible - I'm a big bore capacity whore - so three inchers just won't do it for me.

Kalashnikov

Post by Kalashnikov » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:40 pm

M-14. All the stopping power of a 30-06, with the removable magazine versatility of an M-16.

Rus

Post by Rus » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:13 pm

Erik wrote:If you could only have one of the two abovementioned rifles to defend yourself against a civil or zombie uprising, which would you prefer? They cost the same and I'm buying one.

-Erik
Between those two, I'd go for the AR. Ammo is cheaper, magazine capacity is higher and more accessories ( esp. optics ) available.
BethDeath wrote:Ack no! I mean yes but no! Yes to the gun no to the pink. :)
RIP HK33K

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:33 pm

If I could have only one... hell, they both have such good strong points it's hard to say which one I would want... like others have already said it depends on what you want it for...

I would however lean towards the Garand, only because I have a love for the historical significance.

Da Law

Post by Da Law » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:50 am

I went with the AR-15.

As far as rifles go do not listen to Bear. He only knows pistols.

Ba-Boom-Ching!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though I like the AR because :

1. You can get 5.56 ammo cheaper than you can 30-06.
2. The AR is lighter.
3. You can get high-capacity mags (for now) for the AR-15 relatively cheap. With the Garand you are stuck with the 8 round clips.
4. The AR has more aftermarket parts you can buy to customize it.
5. I hate wood.

The M-1 Garand does however have its advantages over the AR-15 however.

1. Longer range.
2. More reliable.
3. More durable. You can use it like a club if need be.
R.I.P. Gary Buro Patrol Unit 124 Chesterfield County Police Department.
End tour of duty 05/04/2006 0120 hrs.

TheBlunderbuss

Post by TheBlunderbuss » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:57 am

AwPhuch wrote:... you had to fire all of the rounds...
NOT true.

Blade$

Post by Blade$ » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:14 am

NOT true.
Absoluty. Although it was hard to do, thus rarely done in the field, it was (Ans still is) entirely possible to top up a Garand, without expending the bloc.

As for me, if you want solo defense from Zombies, no contest its an AR-15 all the way. On the other hand, if you are travelling in a well armed group and want a support weapon you can reach out and touch somebody with, Go Garand!
I got a monster in my closet, Someones underneath my bed, the winds knocking at my window, I'd kill it but it's already dead.
It waits till the midnight hour to come, To torture me for the wrongs I've done, It just sits there and stares me, And it won't let me get any sleep.

randomusername
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by randomusername » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:37 am

I'd say in the department of round capacity, replacement parts, manueverability go with the AR.

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:22 am

Okay, let me expand a little bit more.

Let's say there was a long-term zombie plaque, something that lasted for over a year or posisbly much more. In that case, I would presume there'd be limited cleaning supplies, repair parts, etc.

Which gun is going to survive not being cleaned/maintained as it properly should?

Will the AR eventually clunk out from being wet, dirty, banged around, and not receiving top-of-the-line maintenance?

Seriously, I really don't know, so I'm asking you that. This is because I really do expect a long-term zombie gun to suffer the above issues.

Will a Garand be any more likely to survive being wet/dirty/banged around/not receiving the best maintenance?

Also, how much does an M-14 cost these days?

Thanks,

Erik

Master Shake

Post by Master Shake » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:26 am

In zombie situation you'll want AR because you can kill 30 zombies instead of 8 without reloading. Basic maintnance should keep the AR is working order. Keep in mind, in a PAW the military will be everywhere. And what do they carry? M16's, M4's, and M249's. What do they shoot. 223/5.56. So you'll always be able to find more ammo, espesially if you were to run across a supplied unit.

and M14's cost more than m1's and AR's
SRA, Expert Marksman (50 out of 50), USAF

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:23 am

RE Cleaning the M1 Garand in SHTF conditions.

I know one Korean War vet who never cleaned his M1 as long as he was over there. He said every once and awhile he would take it down and rub the bolt face in the dirt to get the worst of the carbon out then put it back together. Tough weapon, I don't think I would want to try that with an M-16/AR-15 series weapon.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

hk33k

Post by hk33k » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:42 am

One thing to keep in mind about a Garand, do not on penalty if replacing expensive parts, shoot any ammo loaded with a heavy projectile(180gr hunting load) or loaded hot or you will need a new oprod. They also can be very picky with the gas pressure curve. Non milspec powders/charges can cause reliability issues. With inspec ammo the rifles should work 100%.

For a PAW situation I'd recommend an AR.
For a great rifle with lots of history, that will be used on a range, get a Garand.
Pat
0-1-25

Dave_M
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Dave_M » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:51 am

AR-15.
Dave Merrill
Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.
Civilian Scout wrote:No one buys a Taurus because it's the best option available.

failure

Post by failure » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:48 pm

As long as you're shooting relatively clean ammo a quality (bushmaster, colt) AR-15 should give you no problems. I shot 2 of mine sunday (bushmasters eating remington 55gr FMJ), 1000 rounds, no problems. I don't treat my AR-15s very well either, usually do continuous fire drills with buddies. They take the abuse very well.
Discretion is the better part of valor.

Duxman

AR15

Post by Duxman » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:32 pm

Let us not forget with modern ammo the powder burns much cleaner than the stuff they used in the 1960's and 1970's.

So I would definately recommend the AR for this reason:

Cost of ammo = much cheaper than .30-06 by a 3-1 ratio at least.

Practicing with it - wont kill your shoulder.

Easy to carry weight wise.

As a newbee's gun - it is much easier to use, reload etc. Your fingers can easily get cut if you push the bolt down while reloading those 30-06 rounds into your Garand.

I have an Olympic ARMs PC3 that is modified to look like an M4, and feeding it with over 1000 rounds of Wolf, it has yet to malfunction on me.

ais

Post by ais » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:01 pm

An AR-15.

Buy cheap, and she WILL shit on you.

Buy cheap, and buy twice.

Pay once for quality parts for an excellent rifle, and it will serve you longer than you can shoot it.
November Postal Match: 2nd Place

"The dead know only one thing: It is better to be alive." -Private Joker, Full Metal Jacket

Ashemaru

Post by Ashemaru » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:10 pm

AK-47.

...what? That wasn't one of the options? ... shit I'm sorry, force of habit :oops: .

"When your bow is broken and your last arrow
spent, then shoot, shoot with your whole
heart."

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”