Bear's new XD-45... range report/pics added.

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Bear_B

Bear's new XD-45... range report/pics added.

Post by Bear_B » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:42 pm

Well... I did it. I finally got my XD-45. I went down to the gun shop today to see if my Kel Tec sold (it didnt, so I made a deal to trade it for a Kel Tec S2K in Glock format and that should be in next week)

But anyways... I saw under the cabinet a brand spanking new XD 45... and I was Juuuussst about ready to take it home when I saw its slightly larger and much more beautiful cousin...

The XD-45 Tactical.... with STAINLESS SLIDE!!!!

I picked it up and immediately fell in love... I did a little dealing with Mitch (the owner) and plunked my HK USP .45 on the table and I gave him my best big blue eyed puppy dog look and said "Trade?".

Well, I also plopped 50 bucks on the table but walked away with this brand new XD-45 Stainless, a 33 Round Glock mag for my soon to be had S2K... and a box of 200 grain .45 Gold Dots in +P.

I cant wait to get to the range tomorrow. :D

My new XD came with two 13-Round mags... the plastic holster, spare mag pouch, and speed loader.

Oh but coming home with a new gun feels good... :D

Here's a couple pics of my new baby. This purchase came shortly after my final decision to stick with handguns that do not require a manual safety to disengage, and had consistant trigger pull... which put Glock and XD at the top of the list.

I am sorely considering trading my SIG 226 in on a G26 for ankle carry.

Ramge report and range pics to follow!!!

(You guys knew I was gonna end up with one didn't you?)
Last edited by Bear_B on Sun Oct 08, 2006 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironsides

Post by Ironsides » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:52 pm

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)
URBAN ASSAULT wrote:Caustic chemicals and a man's scrotum should never be in the same place, at the same time.

"I was a highwayman. Along the coach roads I did ride"

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:55 pm

I couldn't be more proud.

Shmerlin

Post by Shmerlin » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:57 pm

not a glock...mutter...mutter...mutter.
Dinner Adventures, My restuarant review blog.

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:09 pm

You're actually MUTTERING at me? Oh wait... I get it... you're jealous! :P

Shmerlin

Post by Shmerlin » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:14 pm

Bear_B wrote:You're actually MUTTERING at me? Oh wait... I get it... you're jealous! :P
what ever ya got to tell yourself :lol:

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:21 pm

Shmerlin wrote:
Bear_B wrote:You're actually MUTTERING at me? Oh wait... I get it... you're jealous! :P
what ever ya got to tell yourself :lol:

Humph!!!

FlyBoy

Post by FlyBoy » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:43 pm

dam, it looks freaking HUGE in your hands...or is that your daugther holding that....

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:45 pm

It's my daughter. :P

Crappy pictures taken poor light I know... but the pics at the range tomorrow will be better I am sure.

FlyBoy

Post by FlyBoy » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:49 pm

Bear_B wrote:It's my daughter. :P

Crappy pictures taken poor light I know... but the pics at the range tomorrow will be better I am sure.
I'm glad you like it...I was seriously contemplating getting one last weekend...but a S&W 637 for CCW followed me home. 3 Weeks ago, I bought a Sig 226 and about a month 1/2 ago a Beretta 92as well....can't buy any more guns till after Christmas....and I'm moving in February.

Dam saving money!

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:07 pm

Someone give me a good holster recommendation for CCW purposes...

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:44 pm

Bear:

Did you just ask me how to CCW a 5" XD-45?

Shmerlin

Post by Shmerlin » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:47 pm

Gunny wrote:Bear:

Did you just ask me how to CCW a 5" XD-45?

...we're gonna need a bigger boat.

Bear, I know you're a pretty big dude, but i got to go w/ gunny on this, can you CCW something like that?

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:50 pm

Ummmm.... yes?

People CCW full sized 1911s regularly and this one is half the weight, and dimensionally not that different really. And I CCW'd my HK before I traded it off.

I CCW my Glock 17 pretty regularly. 8)

Shmerlin

Post by Shmerlin » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:52 pm

Bear_B wrote:Ummmm.... yes?

People CCW full sized 1911s regularly and this one is half the weight, and dimensionally not that different really. And I CCW'd my HK before I traded it off.

I CCW my Glock 17 pretty regularly. 8)

Ahh... well ok then, I stand eduficated :P

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:55 pm

Shit. Teach me sensai.

Damage187

Post by Damage187 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:13 pm

Congratulations on the new nail-driver, man! 8)
GunDown wrote:I'm sitting here with a laptop in my lap, my 360 headset on, an empty bottle of rum on the table in front of me, and an AK47 leaning against my chair.

I rock so fucking hard right now I'm practically Bruce Campbell.

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:19 pm

Welllll.................... as far as CCWing my HK went, I had to carry that one mexican, or with a loose button down shirt in my Don Hume holster.

I have a Galco holster for the HK, but the cant on it left the butt sticking a bit too far in the wrong direction. I wanted to try this galco holster with my XD, but do you think I can find the F-ing thing anywhere? HELL no... now that I want to use it, I cannot find it ANYWHERE!

Anyhooo... I have been carrying my Glock 17 in one of those cheap glock holsters that I got on SMG, and even under a tee shit it carries well as long as the tee shirt is not tight fitting.

I am comparing my XD and my G17 side by side right now, and the XD is a fraction of an inch longer, and if I lay the guns on their slides the XD mag well is longer by about 1/3 of an inch... of course the fact that I am comparing a .45 to a 9mm does have something to do with that.

Carrying a full sized weapon does mean you have to choose a mode of dress that allows the carry of a full sized weapon of course. But I personally think that the advantages of carrying a full sized weapon over a compact weapon are pretty remarkable.

Ergo... if I am running around at night, or in a more dangerous situation then I would MUCH rather have a full sized pistol over a compact.

However, like I say I am also planning on picking up a G26 (probably trading one of my SIG 226s) for deeper concealed carry.

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:23 pm

I just tried my XD with a Uncle Mikes soft nylon holster, and ran the belt on the outside of the holster, and it works pretty dang well. I have to make some ajustments to get the thumb snap to fit better, but this mode of carry would easily allow me to carry in nearly every type of shit I own with the exception of close fitting tee shirts.

:)

Hawk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Strippers.

Post by Hawk » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:23 pm

as much as I love my para, I miss my XD-9, the same thing happened with me, I wasn't totally sure about which pistol to get (I had an idea, but wasn't sure) and he put the XD in my hand, and it just felt right! I may get the .40 4" soon.

Bear_B

Post by Bear_B » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:43 pm

The HK was a very ergonomic gun for me, and felt great in my hand... but I had some concern about its overall reliability.

Mags were hard to find unless you ordered them on line, and their customer service was CRAPPY.

SA however has always been a pleasure to deal with. This is actually my 3rd XD. I had the 9mm Tactical way back during the Clinton Gun Ban, and sold it on a whim, that I thougth would turn out more profitable than it did.

I had an XD .40 SC. I liked it a lot, but I got offered the HK and a thousand rounds of .45 ammo for the XD, and 80 rounds of defensive ammo. Hell, the financial gain was too obvious so I took the deal... and then wished had my XD back.

I had the chance to buy it back for around 200 bucks, cuz the guy was strapped for cash, but someone else came up with the cash faster than I did. :(

I have really been through the ringer with handguns over the last couple years... I made a few deals I regretted because I lost a shit ton of money... there are one or two that I really kick myself HARD for, and look back and shake my head wondering WTF I was thinking, and how did I ever do something so OBVIOUSLY stupid.

I wanted this particular deal not because XDs are "better" than HKs, but because the HK was probably 8 or 9 years old, and had an unknown round count, and a slight reliability issue, and unknown numbers of owners prior to me. The XD is brand new and of course comes with the factory lifetime warranty.

I got the same situation with one of my sigs... and with my second sig it was a factory recertified deal, but even at that, there was two owners between factor recertification and my owning it.

But I still run into that whole "expensive mag, and hard to find accessories" situation that seems to be less of an issue with Glocks and XDs.

Lately I have been very much into Simplifying my life as much as I possibly can. So I have even been thinking of selling off all my revolvers as well, and just standardizing in .45 and 9mm.

Dont get me wrong, I love my revolvers, however I compete with autoloaders, and thus the bulk of my training and range time is spent with autoloaders.

I tried some stress shooting on a K5 type target last weekend with my Ruger GP100, and I noticed that my accuracy, while still combat effective, was less than stellar. I consistantly shot high when I shot at combat speeds. (fast pairs, etc...)

And my Ruger GP100, while one of the most enjoyable guns I have ever owned, is not very well suited for CCW carry, and its a hell of a big and heavy gun to conceal for a whopping 6 rounds of ammo. Wereas my 9mms offer me 3X that much ammo... faster reloads... higher accuracy and faster follow up shots.

Now before anyone jumps my case, yes I know I can train into that revolver, but hell with the price of ammo going up like it is... it would take me thousands of dollars to get to a point where I truly felt as comfortable with my revolvers as I do my autoloaders.

Moreover with the purchase of my XD45 I have been considering getting the 9mm version, so I can understudy the .45 with cheaper practice ammo in the 9mm.

A man could do worse than having an XD9 and an XD45 as his weapons of choice.

But I dont think I can get rid of my Glock 17... I simply love it TOO much, and TOO dearly.

Well, one might ask why not understudy the Glock 17 to a Glock 21 or even a Glock 20? Not a bad idea, but the Glock 17 and 21 are pretty different in size of grips, whereas the differance between the dimmensions of the XD9 and XD45 are far far less drastic.

Meaning that while I can probably conceal my XD45 with a reasonable level of comfort, I have my doubts about concealing a G20 or G21... I am a big guy, but hell a brick sized gun is hard to tuck away no matter WHO you are.

Also, I truly like the idea of SAs lifetime warranty... I have dealt with their customer service before and it was truly enjoyable. THey are great folks!

But seeing as how I am getting my S2K next week, I dont want to be without a Glock 9mm handgun to pair it up with.

So its looking to me like I am going to standardize in Glock and XD. I have found them similar enough that I can transition from one to the other seamlessly. I have shot compititions with both of them, and had no problems adjusting to the triggers like I did when I tried to shoot a SIG in a competition and short stroked the trigger on a couple occasions causing me to loose time and points.

Anarch

Post by Anarch » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:15 am

Gunny, Bear, you're both rotten bastards. Gimme a year and some change, and I'll be able to buy my own XD. Bastiges, I say, bastiges!

Rant aside, very nice pistol, Bear. Congrats on your latest purchase.
Shmerlin wrote:Cause, I'm thinking that it would kind of suck to see someone do the drunken Pee-pee dance off the side of a building and fall into a couple of landmines....

I mean it would be kind cool in an abstract way, but suck in real life.

Firedan
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead 04, Shaun of the Dead, I am Legend

Post by Firedan » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:20 am

Bear_B wrote:I have shot compititions with both of them, and had no problems adjusting to the triggers like I did when I tried to shoot a SIG in a competition and short stroked the trigger on a couple occasions causing me to loose time and points.
That Glock, "riding the trigger reset" will mess you up everytime unless you shoot Glocks exclusively. :wink: Enjoy the new flavor of the month. :p Just kidding! :lol: Seriously though, good buy. You know I'm not crazy about HK pistols.
Regards,

Dan

Rus

Post by Rus » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:33 am

Damn that's cool Bear... Good on ya!
BethDeath wrote:Ack no! I mean yes but no! Yes to the gun no to the pink. :)
RIP HK33K

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”