How many mags do you consider "enough" for each gun?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

RonnyRonin

Re: How many mags do you consider "enough" for each gun?

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:45 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:27 am

It sounds like you are probably running Golden Tiger, which is good ammo.
It was actually a special run that SG ammo contracted I believe, unsure of the factory. 55g soft point; close enough to Wolf Gold (most everyone in my area's competition ammo) as far as zeroing and drop; but hopefully a bit better out of shorter barrels than m193. I am lucky enough to have a modest supply of Golden Tigger for my x39 ak as well.

My daily carry 9mm is Critical duty or critical defense by hornady, the primers appear to be sealed but not the bullet. This of course is the larger question of ammo rotation, I'm sure my thus far routine of many years is so long as to be unwise, but even once a year just seems unduly paranoid for modern ammo. I try to shoot a few several times a year just to make sure weak ammo hasn't caused any training scars vs. +P but I don't shoot through a whole magazine unless I find some stash of particularly old stuff I've forgotten about.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:40 am

RonnyRonin wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:45 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:27 am

It sounds like you are probably running Golden Tiger, which is good ammo.
It was actually a special run that SG ammo contracted I believe, unsure of the factory. 55g soft point; close enough to Wolf Gold (most everyone in my area's competition ammo) as far as zeroing and drop; but hopefully a bit better out of shorter barrels than m193. I am lucky enough to have a modest supply of Golden Tigger for my x39 ak as well.

My daily carry 9mm is Critical duty or critical defense by hornady, the primers appear to be sealed but not the bullet. This of course is the larger question of ammo rotation, I'm sure my thus far routine of many years is so long as to be unwise, but even once a year just seems unduly paranoid for modern ammo. I try to shoot a few several times a year just to make sure weak ammo hasn't caused any training scars vs. +P but I don't shoot through a whole magazine unless I find some stash of particularly old stuff I've forgotten about.
Your purchasing agent did a good job on that .223/5.56!

Critical Duty is sealed at both the neck and the primer. The neck sealant is a different kind which is not like the Russian colored *external* neck sealant. It is clear and goes deep in the case with the bullet. Federal does the same thing. I have not looked deeply into other US brands but I think I've seen some Winchester premium hunting ammo which is well sealed.

Critical Defense is not advertised as being sealed. So I'm betting it is not at all sealed. Defense and Duty are different animals made for different markets. Both are very good.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:39 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:20 am
...I also have color coded magazines and AR furniture for 5.56 vs 300 blackout. Anyone in my family can tell with a glance which AR takes which loaded magazine even if they don't recognize the specific rifle. I have no interest in wrecking a 5.56 barrel by accidently grabbing a magazine loaded with the wrong ammo. It's happened to other people...
Similar here. If a gun has a distinct paint job, its dedicated mags are also painted/Cerakoted to match. I also only use Lancer mags for 300BLK, and only PMags or GI mags (almost all aluminum, but a few steel as well) for 5.56. I do have a few Hexmags in the mix too, but but slowly rotating them out to friends and family. Nothing wrong with them but I’m hyper paranoid about somebody accidentally loading a mag full of 300BLK INTO A 5.56 upper and I really like the physical distinction for different calibers. Everyone who has access to my firearms (both of them, LOL) knows the system.

I only have two .308 rifles right now, one AR-10 and a Ruger Gunsite Scout...those mags only fit the rifle they go with.

For my two (and soon to be three) “odd” calibers, in addition to looking different if you are familiar with typical AR magazines, those magazines are very clearly marked and actually stored in a can that is also marked with the caliber: 6.8, 450BM, and now 350 Legend. Will likely just mark those 350L or similar.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Laager

Post by Laager » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:04 pm

aikorob wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:10 pm
the Mrs. asked about magazines---do we have enough.
so I had to do an inventory---not as many as I thought
back when there was ammo, we went to the range monthly, it was nice to have 4 or more loaded mags for rifles so we could shoot without reloading every 5 minutes
At least 2 for our EDC pistols

How many mags for each gun do you consider adequate?

Admin edit: I split this off into its own topic
Honestly I can not say, I know I should inventory them, but I tend to buy magazines either one or two at a time or in a number that can be divided by seven.

I just recently purchased 35 HK91 mags, then turned around and bought 21. 20 round AR mags, I buy in sets of 12.

For my semi automatic pistols I tend to buy them the same way, except for a bulk purchase I buy in number that can be divided by 5.

I blame it on my military time, we I first enlisted they used the 20 round M16 mags and we were still using the canvas M14 mag pouch. I happened to see a BAR belt and asked for that. I could carry 12 of the 20 round M16 mags with that belt. I )made sure that I had a few extra ammo in my butt pack and used my flak vest (after I got rid of the kevlar lining to carry four more mags.

When we were finally issued the 30 round M16 mags, I still went heavy on the ammo and used four of the M16 ammo pouches, with extra ammo in bandoliers and spare mags in my flak vest.

The thing is the military views magazines as expendable items, civilians do not. That is one of the reason that the M1 carbine has issues. They were not meant to be used more than once. But when they went on the civilian market all there was for sale were used magazines. Some worked and some did not.

A semi auto firearm will still chew up magazines, especially the AR10s when using non metal magazines. So I went to Lancers for both the AR15 and the AR10. granted it takes a wile, but if you pay close attention to your AR10 mags you will see it strips the feed lips a bit at a time.

I probably should empty out the Plano trunks to see exactly how many I have, but I'll put that off until I have some free time.

This is an older picture of my storage area, when my retired from the Air Force and we moved.

“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:15 pm

Laager, is that brown holster in the last pic the one you mentioned in the "My Job, My Hell" thread ? The Nambu I believe it was ?

On topic, I picked up two 33 round Glock factory mags and a pair of ETS 41 round mags before Christmas. So with the addition of those four mags, I'm up to 15 mags total for my G17 and PC9.

Laager

Post by Laager » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:36 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:15 pm
Laager, is that brown holster in the last pic the one you mentioned in the "My Job, My Hell" thread ? The Nambu I believe it was ?

On topic, I picked up two 33 round Glock factory mags and a pair of ETS 41 round mags before Christmas. So with the addition of those four mags, I'm up to 15 mags total for my G17 and PC9.
No, that holster is for my civilian 1946 Colt 1911, the first new firearm my Grandfather purchased. The Army issued that to me, and then told me I needed to dye it black. I could not do it, so I did a LOD and paid the army for it. There is another one dyed black on the shelf above it, breaks my heart to think about how many brown shoulder and hip holsters were ruined by using dye.
“Complacency kills. Paranoia is the reason I’m still alive.” If we do happen to make contact, I expect nothing less than gratuitous violence from the lot of ya.

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:51 pm

Laager wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:36 pm
No, that holster is for my civilian 1946 Colt 1911, the first new firearm my Grandfather purchased. The Army issued that to me, and then told me I needed to dye it black. I could not do it, so I did a LOD and paid the army for it. There is another one dyed black on the shelf above it, breaks my heart to think about how many brown shoulder and hip holsters were ruined by using dye.
What is it with dying these 1911 holsters black?
My grandfather carried a 1911 in ww-1 with the brown holster and my father carried literally the same 1911 & holster in ww-2 (since Grandfather had to buy and supply his own pistol back in 1918, he loaned it dad in 1943 cuz small arms were in short supply in the early days of ww-2).

The dye has to degrade the leather to some extent and a big black blob is likely as visible and big brown blob?!
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:52 pm

Laager wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:15 pm

Huh! Meanwhile, all the ones we used in the Navy were black.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Laager

Post by Laager » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:51 pm

raptor2 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:51 pm
Laager wrote:
What is it with dying these 1911 holsters black?
My grandfather carried a 1911 in ww-1 with the brown holster and my father carried literally the same 1911 & holster in ww-2 (since Grandfather had to buy and supply his own pistol back in 1918, he loaned it dad in 1943 cuz small arms were in short supply in the early days of ww-2).

The dye has to degrade the leather to some extent and a big black blob is likely as visible and big brown blob?!

The only thing I can think of is that some officer somewhere thought it up and implemented it for a bullet on his OPR. My favorite thought is that they Army never throws anything away (I've had to eat K rats and use ammo dated from the 1940s).

I prefer the natural brown to the black one. Both worked though.

Laager

Post by Laager » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:59 am

Here is a 1942 hip holster that I was issued while I was active duty. Imho I would rather have it in brown, instead of black.

Last edited by Laager on Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:42 pm

Laager wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:59 am
Here is a 1942 hip holster that I was issued while I was active duty. Imho I would rather have it in brown, instead of black.

I'm getting a 404 on your imgur links.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:52 pm

Back in 2007, I almost picked up a complete gun belt from WW2 with a 1911 holster just like that on it. Except it was brown and not black. It was also a heck of a lot more worn looking too. Laager's holster looks to be in much better shape than the one I almost bought.

I'm not sure if it still exists now, but there was an antique shop in Ruidoso, NM that had a bunch of WW2 stuff and the gun belt was amongst the other items. I didn't own a 1911 at that point (wouldn't be until March 2012 that I got mine) and I didn't want to drop 150 bucks on something I couldn't make use of, so I left it there.

Now I wish I'd have picked it up even just as a historical collectible. I've got a canteen cup and cover from WW1 (the cover and cup are both dated 1918), so the gun belt from WW2 would've fit right in with that.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:34 pm

I cut up the flap on one o'them holsters to fit a Ruger 45/22. :words:
Tony D Tiger

Laager

Post by Laager » Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:51 pm

tony d tiger wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:34 pm
A close friend of mine did the same thing, with the same pistol. We have been looking for his pistol for just about three years. 400+ acres is a very large search area, at least he lost it somewhere on his property.

Albert

Post by Albert » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:07 pm

My rifle uses clips, not magazines.

Yeah, ok, so it's an M1 Garand, which uses enbloc clips, which hold 8 rounds of .30-06 each. I have about 40 clips for it, along with a bunch of loose rounds, which I can put in the expended clips. That's probably enough for me, given that, in a fire-fight, I doubt I could hold the rifle after going through 320 rounds of .30-06 (It'd be glowing bright enough that I could use it to read by!). So, there's that, for whatever that's worth. :-)

Albert.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:07 pm

Laager wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:51 pm
tony d tiger wrote:
A close friend of mine did the same thing, with the same pistol. We have been looking for his pistol for just about three years. 400+ acres is a very large search area, at least he lost it somewhere on his property.
:rofl: :clap: :rofl:
Your buddy must've cut the flap OFF! :twisted:
I did not; just enough to facilitate closing and latching over the Ruger pistol's grip. :awesome:
Tony D Tiger

Laager

Post by Laager » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:58 pm

tony d tiger wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:07 pm
Laager wrote:
tony d tiger wrote:
I did not; just enough to facilitate closing and latching over the Ruger pistol's grip. :awesome:
Actually he lost the Ruger and the holster. He finally fessed up and we found out the holster was lost as well. He wants me to give him one of mine, maybe one year....
Last edited by Laager on Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:14 am

Laager wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:58 pm
tony d tiger wrote:
Laager wrote:
tony d tiger wrote:
Actually he lost the Ruger and the holster. He finaly fessed up and we found out the holster was lost as well. He wants me to give him one of mine, maybe one year....
Put it in your will. Either he dies first and it's not an issue, or you do and no longer give a damn.

Laager

Post by Laager » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:21 am

boskone wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:14 am
Laager wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:58 pm
tony d tiger wrote:
Laager wrote:

Actually he lost the Ruger and the holster. He finally fessed up and we found out the holster was lost as well. He wants me to give him one of mine, maybe one year....
Put it in your will. Either he dies first and it's not an issue, or you do and no longer give a damn.
i have been looking at just buying him a new one, more than likely one from El Paso Saddlery.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”