Do you like old guns but are interested in an AR?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

What's your opinion. I know you have one.

1. I like it
75%
2. HERESY! Kill it with Fire
25%
3. What is this wood, you speak of old timer?
No votes

Total votes: 16

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Do you like old guns but are interested in an AR?

Post by The Twizzler » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:50 pm

I don't own an AR but have thought about getting one. I generally prefer older guns not only due to history but also because I prefer wood over plastic. I give you the All American Gun stocks option. Well what does the hive mind think?
http://allamericangunstocks.weebly.com/ ... llery.html

"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Do you like old guns but are interested in an AR?

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:00 pm

MOAR!!! :mrgreen:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:22 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:01 am

I think they're gorgeous, but I'm not understanding that second (reciprocating?) charging handle on the left side of the chromed upper receiver.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:48 am

majorhavoc wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:01 am
I think they're gorgeous, but I'm not understanding that second (reciprocating?) charging handle on the left side of the chromed upper receiver.
I don't know for sure that is in the picture, but some people make straight pull bolt action ARs for ban-countries, ban-states, and shooting suppressed.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:19 am

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:48 am
majorhavoc wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:01 am
I don't know for sure that is in the picture, but some people make straight pull bolt action ARs for ban-countries, ban-states, and shooting suppressed.
I know a couple people who built semi-auto side-chargers for hunting. Their reasoning: when they get to their stand, they can slowly....and moar quietly....charge the gun, then bump the knob forward to make sure the bolt is fully in battery.....seems legit. Image
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:25 am

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:19 am
I know a couple people who built semi-auto side-chargers for hunting. Their reasoning: <snip> ....charge the gun, then bump the knob forward to make sure the bolt is fully in battery.....seems legit. Image
So, a second forward assist, then? :lol:

Seriously tho, thank you woodsghost and RickOShea for the explanations. Makes sense.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:03 pm

majorhavoc wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:25 am
RickOShea wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:19 am
I know a couple people who built semi-auto side-chargers for hunting. Their reasoning: <snip> ....charge the gun, then bump the knob forward to make sure the bolt is fully in battery.....seems legit. Image
So, a second forward assist, then? :lol:

Seriously tho, thank you woodsghost and RickOShea for the explanations. Makes sense.
I'm not buying it. Yes, sure, such guns exist but look at these things. Is anyone seriously going to take chromed and polished rifles hunting? With a 50 round drum? I'm seeing standard charging handles and gas blocks/tubes on those, which would indicate semi-auto, and the mags would indicate they aren't in anyplace with severe enough restrictions to require them to be bolt action. I don't know why they have the extra charging handle but I don't think it's for any of the reasons stated so far.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:39 pm

I think the shiny ones are just for showing off at the range. More of a "Look what I did to my AR." sort of thing.

I doubt any hunter is going to be taking a really shiny gun out in the field. Unless whatever they're hunting is blind, they'd be spotted before they even got their finger on the trigger.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:56 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:39 pm
I think the shiny ones are just for showing off at the range. More of a "Look what I did to my AR." sort of thing.

I doubt any hunter is going to be taking a really shiny gun out in the field. Unless whatever they're hunting is blind, they'd be spotted before they even got their finger on the trigger.
Hunters take stainless steel guns to the field all the time. They are more corrosion resistant. Depending on the type of hunting, the hunter could be 600+ yards from the critter. Even very close shots can and are taken with stainless steel guns. But turkey hunting is usually done with very subdued guns. I think all the duck hunting is done with subdued guns too.

A blind can help when using a stainless gun to hunt more sensitive game.

Yeah, the guns in the pics all look like show pieces/range toys.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:04 pm

While I am not a huge fan of the AR platform, I do appreciate beauty of craftsmanship.
As I approach that fabled milestone, my better half has already committed to a Turnbull TAR10 for my 40th birthday.
Fine wood and case hardened receiver - well worth a Google giggle. I'm still not quite capable of links\pics on this forum.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:05 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:56 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:39 pm

Hunters take stainless steel guns to the field all the time. They are more corrosion resistant. Depending on the type of hunting, the hunter could be 600+ yards from the critter. Even very close shots can and are taken with stainless steel guns. But turkey hunting is usually done with very subdued guns. I think all the duck hunting is done with subdued guns too.

A blind can help when using a stainless gun to hunt more sensitive game.

Yeah, the guns in the pics all look like show pieces/range toys.
I don't doubt hunters take stainless guns into the field, Woods. I meant they probably don't take the really shiny ones like in the pics posted.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:45 pm

I've looked at these or similar sets before. I dig them. However the reason I don't like hunting with wood stocks is that I'm afraid to scratch them. My dad's guns all had wooden stocks. I would prefer to keep those stocks as is for sentimental and heirloom value.

A collapsible stock means I can hunt May bear with the same stock as November deer or February coyote,
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:29 pm

SRO1911 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:04 pm
While I am not a huge fan of the AR platform, I do appreciate beauty of craftsmanship.
As I approach that fabled milestone, my better half has already committed to a Turnbull TAR10 for my 40th birthday.
Fine wood and case hardened receiver - well worth a Google giggle. I'm still not quite capable of links\pics on this forum.
Lucky, lucky man.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:25 am

I might just need to build me another AR. :lol: I wonder how hard it would be to get a (faux) blued finish?

Maybe two: one to host a set of this furniture, and a WWSD2020. Split the difference of possible styles. :clownshoes:

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:49 am

boskone wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:25 am
I might just need to build me another AR. :lol: I wonder how hard it would be to get a (faux) blued finish?

Maybe two: one to host a set of this furniture, and a WWSD2020. Split the difference of possible styles. :clownshoes:
A dark blue anodized finish might be possible.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:45 am

NT2C wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:49 am
boskone wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:25 am

A dark blue anodized finish might be possible.
I'm sure duracoat comes in a suitable blue, maybe a ceracoat.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:55 pm

I guess I should let you in on a secret. Springfield (the old one not the new one) is probably the maker of pic #2. I can't verify it but there were these type of rifles sold by old Springfield in the 60's. I have seen ads in old gun magazines. They were hoping to sell them as a hunting rifle hence the wood. I know colt held a patent at this time so I am not sure of the legal issues but it was definitely marketed by Springfield as a modern sporting rifle. I guess they were ahead of the curve.

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:58 pm

Also, can't prove it but it looks to me like the stainless with the Beta mag may be in 7.62*51 not 556 based on the size of the magwell.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:51 pm

The Twizzler wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:55 pm
I guess I should let you in on a secret. Springfield (the old one not the new one) is probably the maker of pic #2. I can't verify it but there were these type of rifles sold by old Springfield in the 60's. I have seen ads in old gun magazines. They were hoping to sell them as a hunting rifle hence the wood. I know colt held a patent at this time so I am not sure of the legal issues but it was definitely marketed by Springfield as a modern sporting rifle. I guess they were ahead of the curve.
Odd....The rifle in pic #2 has stamped on the lower:

PWA (inside an oval)
Milan, IL
Cal. 5.56mm
Commando
Ser #

I did find an advert from Springfield Armory showing an AR with wood furniture....but it's from Springfield Armory, Inc., not the Federal armory that operated from 1777 to 1968.

"Here’s a vintage 1980s gun magazine advertisement promoting the Springfield Armory XM15 and its optional wood furniture."

Springfield Armory’s Forgotten AR-15: The XM15

Despite what several gunwriters are claiming, the Springfield Armory Saint is not their first AR-15 rifle. Their first was the XM15, introduced circa 1982-83. However, Springfield has very good reasons to try to sweep the XM15 under the rug.

It appears that in 1983, Springfield (or their fraternal sibling Rock Island Armory, Inc.) wrangled a ~$900,000 FMS contract for 2,000 “M16-type” rifles to El Salvador. For those who don’t remember, RIA specialized in Title 2 NFA items, while Springfield focused on Title 1 firearms. Dennis Reese was president of Springfield, while his brother David was president of RIA.

Colt caught wind of the XM15 contract and unleashed their lawyers against Springfield and their parts suppliers. Springfield Armory and Colt ultimately settled the suit in September 1984. While the majority of Colt’s patent rights should have already expired by the early 1980s, Colt’s argument was that Springfield and its suppliers were using Colt’s proprietary engineering drawings to manufacture the parts. It is my understanding that Springfield was permanently enjoined from selling their existing XM15 rifles. Moreover, Springfield could not use Colt’s proprietary drawings and information in the future manufacture or sale of AR-15/M16 rifles, unless Colt was later determined to have lost its trade secret rights.

*Moar at link

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:02 pm

Like old guns but like your M-LOK handguard too? Gotcha covered fam...!

https://hardwoodrails.weebly.com/store/ ... es%29.html

Current Weather in My AO

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:45 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:02 pm
Like old guns but like your M-LOK handguard too? Gotcha covered fam...!

https://hardwoodrails.weebly.com/store/ ... es%29.html
Lit & Proper.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”