Firearms CHAT: [2020 - Year of the Squib]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

PistolPete

Re: Firearms CHAT: [2020 - Year of the Squib]

Post by PistolPete » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:09 am

Yeah, I'd avoid anything with corrosion at the primer.

In more exciting news, it looks like the rules are changing for pistol braces. If the internet is to be believed, this draft notice is likely to be published before the weekend.
https://princelaw.files.wordpress.com/2 ... -16-20.pdf

The frustrating bit is there are no hard regulation changes, every gun will be considered "holistically". Meaning if the examiner is grumpy that day you could be in violation of federal law. Consider the risk if this is published. One of the sections speaks to LOP and rather than give a length so people could verify they are in compliance, it just says it expects a pistol brace to be shorter than a rifle stock. That leaves all the grey area possible.

But if this turns from draft into law, and you have an AR pistol with a brace as well as a handstop, a two point sling and a magnified optic, looks like the ATF will start considering that an unregistered SBR.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:34 am

Yup...I may try to dry tumble some of the rounds with walnut shells instead of ss pins in my brass tumbler and see what happens.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

WillyWinchester
Favorite Zombie Movies: Train to Busan, Evil Dead, Day of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Resident Evil series

Post by WillyWinchester » Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:47 am

PistolPete wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:09 am
Yeah, I'd avoid anything with corrosion at the primer.

In more exciting news, it looks like the rules are changing for pistol braces. If the internet is to be believed, this draft notice is likely to be published before the weekend.
https://princelaw.files.wordpress.com/2 ... -16-20.pdf

The frustrating bit is there are no hard regulation changes, every gun will be considered "holistically". Meaning if the examiner is grumpy that day you could be in violation of federal law. Consider the risk if this is published. One of the sections speaks to LOP and rather than give a length so people could verify they are in compliance, it just says it expects a pistol brace to be shorter than a rifle stock. That leaves all the grey area possible.

But if this turns from draft into law, and you have an AR pistol with a brace as well as a handstop, a two point sling and a magnified optic, looks like the ATF will start considering that an unregistered SBR.
I know Q honey badger got specifically targeted.
Like Brotato... your nose is falling off.

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:01 am

WillyWinchester wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:47 am
I know Q honey badger got specifically targeted.
Yep. I've read through twice now and one of the factors in determining legality is the "intent of the manufacturer", so if you buy anything that is shown shouldered in any advertising material, that could be enough to outlaw it.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:29 pm

LOL. Ya reckon? :rofl:

TTAG - BREAKING: Texas AG Accuses Cheaper Than Dirt of Price Gouging

File this under things everyone already knew was going on. As we wrote the other day, no one likes high prices, but they’re part of the current market conditions. Consumers are seeing the effects of the laws of supply and demand on a daily basis as they shop for guns and, more acutely, ammunition.

But there’s a difference between market-driven price increases and outright gouging. Mention the term ‘gouging’ to just about any firearms consumer and one seller almost immediately comes to mind: the ironically named Cheaper Than Dirt.

Their eye-popping surge pricing dates back at least to the post-Sandy Hook gun run. Now — finally — the Fort Worth retailer’s business practices have attracted the attention of the Texas Attorney General.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:17 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:29 pm
LOL. Ya reckon? :rofl:

TTAG - BREAKING: Texas AG Accuses Cheaper Than Dirt of Price Gouging

File this under things everyone already knew was going on. As we wrote the other day, no one likes high prices, but they’re part of the current market conditions. Consumers are seeing the effects of the laws of supply and demand on a daily basis as they shop for guns and, more acutely, ammunition.

But there’s a difference between market-driven price increases and outright gouging. Mention the term ‘gouging’ to just about any firearms consumer and one seller almost immediately comes to mind: the ironically named Cheaper Than Dirt.

Their eye-popping surge pricing dates back at least to the post-Sandy Hook gun run. Now — finally — the Fort Worth retailer’s business practices have attracted the attention of the Texas Attorney General.
Took the AG long enough.

Nice to know they finally got around to checking their emails because myself and plenty of others have been complaining about CTD to them for the past year.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:58 pm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:41 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:58 pm
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lol! I have about $15 in bullets and probably less than that in cash.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:41 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KIgvoJKovIg

A nice video from the president of Federal, CCI, Speer and Remington. In short: they are making more ammo than ever in our history, hiring new people ("hundreds," I assume spread across the brands), and shipping it all. But demand is kinda high right now, if you didn't notice.

He says there are 7 million new shooters in the US. I assume he means since 2020 started. As he said, if each buys 2 boxes of handgun ammo, that is 700,000,000 rounds of ammo the market demands now that it wasn't demanding in 2019.

And do we think people are buying just 2 boxes of ammo? So the market demand is beyond anything the ammo makers have ever seen.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:31 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:41 am
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KIgvoJKovIg

A nice video from the president of Federal, CCI, Speer and Remington. In short: they are making more ammo than ever in our history, hiring new people ("hundreds," I assume spread across the brands), and shipping it all. But demand is kinda high right now, if you didn't notice.

He says there are 7 million new shooters in the US. I assume he means since 2020 started. As he said, if each buys 2 boxes of handgun ammo, that is 700,000,000 rounds of ammo the market demands now that it wasn't demanding in 2019.

And do we think people are buying just 2 boxes of ammo? So the market demand is beyond anything the ammo makers have ever seen.
Told it like a boss.

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:25 pm

Shot my best ever group yesterday, right at a quarter inch. It was only a 3 shot group, which is basically cheating I know, but I only had 5 rounds loaded up with this particular recipe and wanted to shoot a couple over the chrono once I saw they had promise. It's the same rifle (Steyr 308) that gave me my formerly best group, right around .4". She's a keeper. It kind of makes me want to sell all my other guns and be monogamous. Mogunamous? Morifleamous?

- Mark Twain

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:39 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:25 pm
Shot my best ever group yesterday, right at a quarter inch. It was only a 3 shot group, which is basically cheating I know, but I only had 5 rounds loaded up with this particular recipe and wanted to shoot a couple over the chrono once I saw they had promise. It's the same rifle (Steyr 308) that gave me my formerly best group, right around .4". She's a keeper. It kind of makes me want to sell all my other guns and be monogamous. Mogunamous? Morifleamous?
Years, ago, dad and I (mostly dad) spent month tuning ammo for my shitty .223. We finally got one that, from a stable position, would cloverleaf.

Then discovered that it liked Remington Core-lokt just as well. (It's times like this I wish we had a facepalm emote.)

quazi

Post by quazi » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:24 pm

I won an auction on a Remington Rolling Block in 7mm Mauser yesterday. I'm pretty excited, as I had seen a number of videos about it and I have a thing for single shots. I'm not actually sure which specific model, year or country it was sold to yet. The seller had a ton of positive reviews though, and the description said it was in good shape.

This was kind of on a whim. I know people who have had them in the past who all said they were good rifles and they liked them. Of course after I bought it I started reading that the Remington Rolling Blocks in 7mm that were mostly sold to Latin American countries had deeper chambers cut than most bolt-action 7x57 rifles. Reading through random forums I have come across a bunch of different stories about how or why this is, but the most common one seems to be that in the 1920s they changed the specs of the 7mm Mauser cartridge to be slightly shorter which can cause headspace problems in the older Rolling Block rifles.

My mom's boyfriend insists that they shot the hell out of theirs with commercial ammo and never had a problem. I tend to be a cautious person and don't like to risk things.

As far as I can figure I've got three options:
1. Get a gunsmith to check headspace
2. Fire-form brass so headspace is not an issue
3. Rig the rifle up to shoot with a string, shoot some modern commercial 7x57 out of it and check the brass

I am pretty excited about the rifle, but over the years I've learned that I'm not good at finishing gun projects and should try to stick to stuff which is good out of the box.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:53 pm

quazi wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:24 pm
I won an auction on a Remington Rolling Block in 7mm Mauser yesterday. I'm pretty excited, as I had seen a number of videos about it and I have a thing for single shots. I'm not actually sure which specific model, year or country it was sold to yet. The seller had a ton of positive reviews though, and the description said it was in good shape.

This was kind of on a whim. I know people who have had them in the past who all said they were good rifles and they liked them. Of course after I bought it I started reading that the Remington Rolling Blocks in 7mm that were mostly sold to Latin American countries had deeper chambers cut than most bolt-action 7x57 rifles. Reading through random forums I have come across a bunch of different stories about how or why this is, but the most common one seems to be that in the 1920s they changed the specs of the 7mm Mauser cartridge to be slightly shorter which can cause headspace problems in the older Rolling Block rifles.

My mom's boyfriend insists that they shot the hell out of theirs with commercial ammo and never had a problem. I tend to be a cautious person and don't like to risk things.

As far as I can figure I've got three options:
1. Get a gunsmith to check headspace
2. Fire-form brass so headspace is not an issue
3. Rig the rifle up to shoot with a string, shoot some modern commercial 7x57 out of it and check the brass

I am pretty excited about the rifle, but over the years I've learned that I'm not good at finishing gun projects and should try to stick to stuff which is good out of the box.
7x57's a good, flexible round. I wouldn't seek out one to buy, but if I ran across the right deal would happily snag one.

I'd probably run it by a gunsmith to have it checked over. Not just the headspacing concern, but I'd probably do it for any firearm that old I wasn't personally familiar with. The only reason I didn't get my M1 Rifle checked was because I trust the CMP smiths.

quazi

Post by quazi » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:22 pm

Yeah, I should probably have a gunsmith check it out. Do you know how much that normally costs?

The thing that gets me isn't the expense, but that having a smith check it out would probably mean two additional trips to town. Going to town takes up most of a day.

I might check to see if my FFL has a smith though. Then maybe I could arrange to have it checked out by them.

I've bought surplus a couple times before, but that was once from the CMP and the other rifle was supposed to have had a complete work over by the Finns before being put into storage so I wasn't worried about either one.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:47 pm

quazi wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:22 pm
Yeah, I should probably have a gunsmith check it out. Do you know how much that normally costs?

The thing that gets me isn't the expense, but that having a smith check it out would probably mean two additional trips to town. Going to town takes up most of a day.

I might check to see if my FFL has a smith though. Then maybe I could arrange to have it checked out by them.

I've bought surplus a couple times before, but that was once from the CMP and the other rifle was supposed to have had a complete work over by the Finns before being put into storage so I wasn't worried about either one.
No clue, because smith prices vary so much.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:00 pm

quazi wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:22 pm

Have you asked the seller/previous owner if the headspace has been checked?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

quazi

Post by quazi » Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:21 am

NT2C wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:00 pm
Have you asked the seller/previous owner if the headspace has been checked?
I haven't, but that's a good idea. I don't why I hadn't considered that.

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:44 am

boskone wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:39 pm
Years, ago, dad and I (mostly dad) spent month tuning ammo for my shitty .223. We finally got one that, from a stable position, would cloverleaf.

Then discovered that it liked Remington Core-lokt just as well. (It's times like this I wish we had a facepalm emote.)
Man, I have been there myself, lol. While the effort is wasted, a gun that shoots great groups with factory ammo is a true treasure.

- Mark Twain

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:06 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:44 am
boskone wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:39 pm

Man, I have been there myself, lol. While the effort is wasted, a gun that shoots great groups with factory ammo is a true treasure.
Oh, I do love that rifle. It's beat-up, ugly, and the scope's basically shit these days; but it's easy-shooting, and dead-nuts accurate out to at least 150yd.

I don't shoot it much anymore, but that's mostly 'cause I don't need to. It's been holding zero for like 30 years.

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:41 pm

The leaked picture of the Keltec P50 looks interesting. I probably won't get one even if the reviews are good, but I could see it being pretty entertaining.

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:33 pm

quazi wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:41 pm
The leaked picture of the Keltec P50 looks interesting. I probably won't get one even if the reviews are good, but I could see it being pretty entertaining.
Reminds me a bit of the AR-57 design. It's a shame nobody picked up that design and started making those again. Of course, what does 5.7 ammo cost these days? $4 a round or something.

- Mark Twain

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:36 pm

quazi wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:41 pm
Yea, if it comes out, I give it a year before it's in a sci fi movie.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:14 pm

Is it too late to get one of these for Christmas?

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”