Firearms CHAT: [2020 - Year of the Squib]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

boskone

Re: Firearms CHAT: [2020 - Year of the Squib]

Post by boskone » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:37 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:09 pm
I've read that primers have the potential to contain some lead. I don't know if it's true, but she does not help with de-priming either and I clean up before she can help with the other steps.
They--at least some--use lead styphnate as a priming compound.

It's one reason pregnant women are recommended to stay away from shooting ranges. I've actually known people who shot a lot (competitive shooters, mostly) who've tested with concerning levels of lead.
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:33 pm
Speaking of lead exposure in kids, I'm still trying to figure out how in the hell my doctors in SE Texas figured out I had high levels of lead in my system when I was a kid.

I wonder if that had anything to do with the fact I lived maybe less than two miles from one of the big oil refineries in the city and could've been exposed to all sorts of nastiness.

Probably explains why I was sick a lot back then and had trouble learning in school.

Ok, so that last one may have been simply because I wasn't exactly all that bright as a kid, but the whole being sick a lot thing might have something to do with the close proximity to the oil refinery.
Lead causes cognitive issues. Removing lead from gasoline is linked to reduction in crime rates for that reason.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:54 pm

I'm (still) kinda looking to put fixed stocks on my ARs. For beard-friendliness reasons.

I'm tempted by the KP15, as it wouldn't actually be much if any more than the parts...however, then I'd have a spare lower running around, which I'd feel compelled to turn into another gun. :roll:

[edit]
Oh, I just remembered, dad's maybe interested in an AR. Hrm...

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:33 pm

Part of me kind of wants to build a Vietnam era style AR.

I've had that idea in my head for quite awhile, but I've always put it on the back burner because other things grab my attention and I forget about it.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:02 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:33 pm

I've had that idea in my head for quite awhile, but I've always put it on the back burner because other things grab my attention and I forget about it.
There are aspects of that style I don't care for (esp. as I prefer free-float barrels), but I'm kinda thinking that a fixed stock with a folding adapter would be more useful to me than a collapsible stock.

A collapsible stock probably makes sense for someone in body armor, and maybe for someone in like a thick coat, but mine are always fully-extended anyway except for transport.

It's just too bad that so far as I've found the Law folding adapters the only decent one on the market, and it's $200+.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:55 pm

boskone wrote:
Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:02 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

There are aspects of that style I don't care for (esp. as I prefer free-float barrels), but I'm kinda thinking that a fixed stock with a folding adapter would be more useful to me than a collapsible stock.

A collapsible stock probably makes sense for someone in body armor, and maybe for someone in like a thick coat, but mine are always fully-extended anyway except for transport.

It's just too bad that so far as I've found the Law folding adapters the only decent one on the market, and it's $200+.
Is the Law folding adapter made by Sylvan Arms or am I thinking of another company ?

As for the Vietnam era type AR, I blame the idea coming back in my head on the fact I got bored a couple days ago and watched the tail end of the first Rambo movie (First Blood, I think ?).

I saw Brian Dennehy grab one to go confront Rambo and I thought "I kind of want one of those."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:40 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Do a Son Tay clone....

Or a Colt 607....

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:41 am

boskone wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:54 pm
I'm tempted by the KP15, as it wouldn't actually be much if any more than the parts...however, then I'd have a spare lower running around, which I'd feel compelled to turn into another gun. :roll:
just be aware that there will be long lead times for the KP15 lowers. they have been pre-selling them since April, and are just now shipping. 1 of them that I ordered was delivered to my LGS Saturday, still waiting on the others
[well April is when I ordered mine, not sure how much before I ordered that they were taking orders.]

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:34 am

emclean wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 8:41 am
just be aware that there will be long lead times for the KP15 lowers. they have been pre-selling them since April, and are just now shipping. 1 of them that I ordered was delivered to my LGS Saturday, still waiting on the others
[well April is when I ordered mine, not sure how much before I ordered that they were taking orders.]
I pre-ordered one as well months back and it's been crickets. No idea when mine is going to ship.

As far as retro rifles, I put together an A1-ish clone last year. Something about those triangle handguards is just sexy. I don't shoot it often, but it's fun to use and instantly recognizable. As well, the triangle handguard shoots nice off a flat surface and the 20" barrel makes for a nice sight radius and nice velocity.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:04 pm

I'm leaning towards making a 20 inch barrelled rifle instead of a carbine like Rick posted. Mostly because I already own a 16 inch barrelled AR and I just like the looks of the retro rifles.

I know Brownells made one in the same style as what I saw on "First Blood", but they discontinued it awhile back.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:34 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:04 pm
I'm leaning towards making a 20 inch barrelled rifle instead of a carbine like Rick posted. Mostly because I already own a 16 inch barrelled AR and I just like the looks of the retro rifles.

I know Brownells made one in the same style as what I saw on "First Blood", but they discontinued it awhile back.
That one in First Blood looks like my first AR, a Colt SP1 (R6000). I bought it in '92 and it was in like-new condition, but the serial number dates it as a 1970 production gun. I think Colt made this model up until around '82.

Trapdoor A1 buttstock, A1 pistol grip, slab side upper and lower receivers, large screw pivot pin, current style CH, forward assist serrations on the BCG (even though no FA on the upper), flat slip ring, A1 birdcage FH....

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:00 pm

I really want to build out an AR with wood furniture and a side charger upper without the gas block so it functions as a straight bolt action.

Given the incredible cost of wood furniture and the very limited options available in wood, I expect I'll have to learn how to make it myself. I'm confident in being able to make the forgrip I want. It's the stock and pistol grip I have doubts of. I think I've figured out in theory how to make a thumbhole stock work with two pieces that connect. I'm not confident in being able to figure out how to physically craft it accurately enough the pieces fit together properly.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:15 pm

Try making it out of something less demanding to get the shape down, perhaps? Like laminate a bunch of foamboard or something and get your shape down with woodworking tools, then step up to cheap lumber, then whatever you want for the actual stock.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:48 pm

Thanks Boskone, that's a great idea on the foam board. I'll remember that when I get around to trying it.

Basically, I'll be trying to get a more classic wood "hunting rifle" look. Partly I want to push my wood working skills and see if it's possible. Partly I think it would look beautiful and unique (functional art). And last, I delight in messing with certain people's preconceptions of firearms (art can be about challenging preconceptions right?). :lol:
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:54 am

Pro tip: If you're looking to buy bulk brass for reloading, a 5 gallon bucket holds about 3,000 pieces of 223 brass.

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:19 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:54 am
Pro tip: If you're looking to buy bulk brass for reloading, a 5 gallon bucket holds about 3,000 pieces of 223 brass.
Where do you find powder and primers these days? :|

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:51 pm

boskone wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:19 pm
Where do you find powder and primers these days? :|
In my reloading room. I've been through a couple of these panics so I tend to store consumables, like primers and toilet paper.

Powder is still easy to find online, but paying a hazmat fee for a single pound is a pain. Hodgdon allows you to order directly from them, even. Primers on the other hand have been gone for 6 months.

- Mark Twain

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:54 pm

How are y'all cleaning your gun cleaning mops (assuming you guys use them) and with what ?

I was going through my garage yesterday and I found one of my old cleaning kits and a lot of the stuff is still usable, but some of the mops are kind of nasty. I was thinking of stuffing them in a mesh bag and bleaching the hell out of them, but I started to wonder if there was anything specific to these things that others used.

Or do y'all just toss them when they get too dirty rather than attempt to clean them ?

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:09 pm

Toss 'em.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:27 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:54 pm
How are y'all cleaning your gun cleaning mops (assuming you guys use them) and with what ?

I was going through my garage yesterday and I found one of my old cleaning kits and a lot of the stuff is still usable, but some of the mops are kind of nasty. I was thinking of stuffing them in a mesh bag and bleaching the hell out of them, but I started to wonder if there was anything specific to these things that others used.

Or do y'all just toss them when they get too dirty rather than attempt to clean them ?
Are you talking about a shop tag? Toss them. Get a new bag at Walmart or Harbor Freight or Autozone or some similar.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:49 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 4:27 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:54 pm

Are you talking about a shop tag? Toss them. Get a new bag at Walmart or Harbor Freight or Autozone or some similar.
No, I'm talking about those little screw in mop (not sure what they're actually called. I've always just called them mops.)things you see in those multi caliber cleaning kits Walmart and others sell.

I guess they're called brushes (the cotton ones, not the copper or bronze ones), but I've always called them mops.

And since they're too far gone to save, I'll just toss them. I can always grab some from Midway or Walmart for a buck or two if I need more.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:25 pm

Since we've solved my dilemma with what to do with dirty gun brushes, I've got another question.

On Remington shotgun barrels, what's with the star next to the shell size rollmark ?

Does that denote choke size, if any, or does that mean it's safe to shoot steel shot through it ?

I just noticed that rollmark today and I've never thought to see what it meant.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:30 pm

Random observation: I was in my local Academy today. Not there fun anything gun related, but I wandered over to that part of the store anyway, just to see.

The only handgun ammo on the shelves was 10 or so boxes of .500 S&W Magnum. No rifle ammo on the shelves at all. The only shotgun ammo was birdshot.

They did have some PMags in stock. Quite a few 10 rnd AR10 mags, which I have actually never seen in the wild before.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:21 pm

Via an email:
December 08, 2020

NOTICE OF DATA BREACH

Dear Customer,

Freedom Munitions recently became aware the personal information of our valued online customers may have been compromised as a result of unauthorized access through an e-commerce vendor. We are taking this seriously, and want to provide you with information about this incident that may affect you, as well as suggestions on actions you can take to protect your privacy and security.

What happened?

Freedom Munitions became aware of a possible security issue with the third party e-commerce system supporting online purchases. It involved attackers who accessed order information and used malicious programming code to steal credit card information used when our customers made purchases.

Our third party vendor determined how the situation occurred, how many customers might be affected, and what would be necessary to stop the problem. We believe the security issue has now been resolved successfully and all malicious code removed. We continue to monitor our system closely to insure there are no more attempts made to gain access to any information.

How did this affect customers?

Customers who made online purchases at FreedomMunitions.com between October 16 and November 26 were potentially affected.

Just because you made an online purchase during these dates does not automatically mean you are a victim of actual fraud. We want to fully inform all of our customers so you can take action to protect yourself from any potential or ongoing harm.

What information was involved?

The information that may have been viewed included your: first and last name, home address, email address and, for customers who made online purchases between October 16, 2020 and November 26, 2020 credit card data.

What should you do now?

As a precautionary measure, we recommend that you remain vigilant by reviewing your account statements and credit reports closely. If you detect any suspicious activity on an account, you should promptly notify the credit card company that issued your card.

Your credit card company should also protect you for any losses over $50 as long as you report any potential theft as soon as possible. You should also contact the three credit bureaus and place a free fraud alert and/or security freeze on your credit files. Their contact information is:

Equifax
P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374
1-866-349-5191 www.equifax.com
Experian
P.O. Box 2104
Allen, TX 75013
1-888-397-3742 www.experian.com
TransUnion
2 Baldwin Place P.O. Box 1000 Chester, PA 19022 1-800-888-4213 www.transunion.com

You are also entitled to a free credit report every year from each of these agencies at: www.annualcreditreport.com

What are we doing to help our affected customers?

We take this crime seriously. It was a crime against our customers and our business.

In an abundance of caution to safeguard your privacy, Freedom Munitions is currently working to secure additional protections to detect any other possible misuse of your personal information. We will notify you as soon as possible once these services are secured and in place to offer the greatest level of protection possible.

If additional information is required

We understand how this issue may be disruptive to you during the busy holiday season. We value your business. We believe in protecting your rights and this includes your privacy rights. We are committed to doing what we can to make this right for you.

We will get in touch with you with any updates. If you have further questions regarding this incident, please call 208-746-3668, or write to us at credit@kashca.us. The response line is staffed with personnel familiar with this incident and knowledge about what you can do to protect against misuse of your information. The response line is available Monday through Friday, 9 am to 5 pm, Pacific Time.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:57 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:25 pm
Since we've solved my dilemma with what to do with dirty gun brushes, I've got another question.

On Remington shotgun barrels, what's with the star next to the shell size rollmark ?

Does that denote choke size, if any, or does that mean it's safe to shoot steel shot through it ?

I just noticed that rollmark today and I've never thought to see what it meant.
It has something to do with the chamber. I can't remember what, though, sorry.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”