Firearms CHAT: [2020 - Year of the Squib]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Firearms CHAT: [2020 - Year of the Squib]

Post by RickOShea » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:16 pm

TFB - Ruger Completes Acquisition of Marlin Assets; Lever Actions In 2021

New Hampshire based firearms manufacturer and industry powerhouse has just announced that the acquisition of Marlin assets from the Remington bankruptcy sale is complete. The deal closed on November 23 and the $28.3 million purchase price was paid in full. Ruger is said to be moving Marlin rifle production in house and expects to see lever action models available later in 2021.

When will I be able to buy a Marlin manufactured by Ruger?

"Once the sale process is complete, we will begin the process of relocating Marlin Firearms assets to existing Ruger manufacturing facilities. Sometime after that, we will begin setting up production for new, Ruger-made, Marlin firearms. Our hope is to begin producing Marlin firearms sometime in the second half of 2021. Our intent is to keep true to the Marlin brand and ensure that its 150-year history and great products live on."
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:16 am

I'm very curious to see what Ruger does with Marlin's IP.

One kinda obvious option might be a "Wrangler-style" .22LR lever gun. Plastic furniture, cast parts where not structurally required elsewhere, etc. Not sure if it'd actually be all that much cheaper, but given the cost of Wranglers and 10/22s I think there's some potential.

It's way out of anything I know of from anyone, but I like the idea of a threaded .22WMR fed from rotary mags.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:22 am

boskone wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:16 am

One kinda obvious option might be a "Wrangler-style" .22LR lever gun. Plastic furniture, cast parts where not structurally required elsewhere, etc. Not sure if it'd actually be all that much cheaper, but given the cost of Wranglers and 10/22s I think there's some potential.

It's way out of anything I know of from anyone, but I like the idea of a threaded .22WMR fed from rotary mags.
I like the .22WMR cartridge and wish more guns were chambered in it. I'd love to see it as an AR conversion.

As for Ruger/Marlin, I'd love to see them bring back the Marlin 62 in .30 carbine. (for that matter, an AR in .30 carbine might be pretty sweet)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:47 am

boskone wrote:
Ruger made 10/22 magnums from 1998 - 2006.
https://www.gunbroker.com/Ruger-10-22-M ... ords=Ruger 10-22 Magnum& s=f

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:45 am

Hopefully they can make a lever action under Marlin's name that isn't garbage. The quality on Marlins in the last 20 years has been really sub par. The worst trigger I have on any gun I've owned is a recently made Marlin lever action- it's on par with a Hi-Point pistol, like throwing a 30 amp breaker. As well, the finish is total crap and I've heard lots of problem with cycling as well.

So if Ruger can make a Marlin the way Marlins used to be made, that's a big win. Also, a 22 magnum lever gun is a must. I've been after one for quite a while but never found one for the right price. People must hold on to them because I never see them used.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:17 pm

emclean wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:47 am
boskone wrote:
Was it those or was it the .17 HMR ones that Ruger stopped making and recalled due to the receivers cracking ?

Now that I think about it, it may have been the .17 HMR models.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:06 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:22 am
boskone wrote:

I like the .22WMR cartridge and wish more guns were chambered in it. I'd love to see it as an AR conversion.

As for Ruger/Marlin, I'd love to see them bring back the Marlin 62 in .30 carbine. (for that matter, an AR in .30 carbine might be pretty sweet)
Black Dog makes AR mags for 22WMR, but the rifle manufacturer they were making them for appears to be out of business.

This outfit clqims they're bringing out an AR in 22WMR "soon." might be worth keeping an eye on them.

https://garrowdev.com/
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:45 pm

emclean wrote:
boskone wrote:
Yup, but as I understand the recoil tended to cause the receivers to crack.

Also, lever guns suppress really well.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:48 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:45 am
Hopefully they can make a lever action under Marlin's name that isn't garbage. The quality on Marlins in the last 20 years has been really sub par. The worst trigger I have on any gun I've owned is a recently made Marlin lever action- it's on par with a Hi-Point pistol, like throwing a 30 amp breaker. As well, the finish is total crap and I've heard lots of problem with cycling as well.

So if Ruger can make a Marlin the way Marlins used to be made, that's a big win. Also, a 22 magnum lever gun is a must. I've been after one for quite a while but never found one for the right price. People must hold on to them because I never see them used.
There was a Henry .22WMR Frontier long-barrel on consignment at the LGS for $350 a while back, but I decided to be responsible and not buy it.

I have since determined that was dumb.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:59 pm

boskone wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:48 pm
PistolPete wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:45 am

There was a Henry .22WMR Frontier long-barrel on consignment at the LGS for $350 a while back, but I decided to be responsible and not buy it.

I have since determined that was dumb.
I've been in that same boat, Boskone.

I passed on a Swiss K31 straight pull for 75 bucks years ago because it didn't have a magazine. And being new to guns at the time, I didn't know that it'd be simple to find a replacement online.

That's just one of a few times I've regretted not buying a gun.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:19 pm

emclean wrote:
Volquartsen and Magnum Research still make 10/22 style .22 magnums.....but they ain't for the poors.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:10 pm

Magnum Research still makes their 10/22 clone ?

I thought that was one of their products that got cut when Kahr took over. Or was it some other company that bought out Magnum Research?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:28 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:10 pm

I thought that was one of their products that got cut when Kahr took over. Or was it some other company that bought out Magnum Research?
They still show them on both the Kahr Arms and Magnum Research websites.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:46 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:28 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:10 pm

They still show them on their website.
Interesting.

I figured when Magnum Research got bought out, they'd have stopped producing them.

But I guess since Ruger's patent on the 10/22 expired awhile back, Magnum Research decided to bring them back. That or they've been doing so even before then and I just haven't been paying that much attention.

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:59 pm

The local place had a bunch of .300WSM.

They didn't have any guns in that caliber. I checked. Just in case.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:03 pm

Looks like Grandmaster Jay was arrested for pointing his bullpup at Federal officers. :clownshoes:

ETA: Always keep a handheld on your battle rattle.
Last edited by RickOShea on Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:31 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:03 pm
Looks like Grandmaster Jay was arrested for pointing his bullpup at Federal officers. :clownshoes:
Bet the idiot didn't see that coming.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Sat Dec 05, 2020 4:26 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:03 pm

ETA: Always keep a handheld on your battle rattle.
It's a shame. That rifle deserved better.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:09 pm

"The officers and TFOs advised they all perceived a threat from Johnson based on him aiming his rifle at them," the complaint reads. "All officers advised they were concerned Johnson might intentionally, or even accidentally, discharge a round at them."

Hmmm, I don't know why they think anyone in that group might do that. I thought they only shot each other accidentally.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:42 pm

3 year old: Papa! Papa! I can't find my pistol!

Me: Better fill out a police report. Do you have the serial number?

3 year old: ummmm.......

Wife: serial number is probably "Tylenol," since that is what was on the syringe she was calling her "pistol."

Me: I love those two.

My 3 year old daughter was telling me yesterday about how she is now carrying her "pistol" (cross draw style) and how she loads it with bullets she has made, just like Papa. She has a CCW.

We found her "pistol" in the middle of the room. That apple didn't fall far from the tree.

And for the record, I use factory ammo for SD/carry, but roll my own for practice. She has helped me many a time to make bullets.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:49 pm

yossarian wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:09 pm
"The officers and TFOs advised they all perceived a threat from Johnson based on him aiming his rifle at them," the complaint reads. "All officers advised they were concerned Johnson might intentionally, or even accidentally, discharge a round at them."

Hmmm, I don't know why they think anyone in that group might do that. I thought they only shot each other accidentally.
Maybe the officers were worried they'd been infiltrated by members of the group? :clownshoes:

Current Weather in My AO

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:59 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:42 pm

Wife: serial number is probably "Tylenol," since that is what was on the syringe she was calling her "pistol."

My 3 year old daughter was telling me yesterday about how she is now carrying her "pistol" (cross draw style) and how she loads it with bullets she has made, just like Papa. She has a CCW.

We found her "pistol" in the middle of the room. That apple didn't fall far from the tree.

And for the record, I use factory ammo for SD/carry, but roll my own for practice. She has helped me many a time to make bullets.
I'm going to just put this out there, not because I have any concerns about you being a bad parent, I don't, but out of an abundance of caution for her well-being and healthy development. Lead exposure in children is a serious problem and one which greatly affects their mental development. There is literally no safe lead exposure limit for children. Zero. Please consider if this is a safe activity for her and how it might expose her to lead.

Current Weather in My AO

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:09 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:59 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:42 pm

I'm going to just put this out there, not because I have any concerns about you being a bad parent, I don't, but out of an abundance of caution for her well-being and healthy development. Lead exposure in children is a serious problem and one which greatly affects their mental development. There is literally no safe lead exposure limit for children. Zero. Please consider if this is a safe activity for her and how it might expose her to lead.
Great to point out! I use coated bullets only. The Berry bullets or those with other full coatings. And she has been tested and came up great. The city we used to live in has a big "test all kids for lead exposure" program.

I've read that primers have the potential to contain some lead. I don't know if it's true, but she does not help with de-priming either and I clean up before she can help with the other steps.

Your advice is dead on for me and all other parents.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:33 pm

Speaking of lead exposure in kids, I'm still trying to figure out how in the hell my doctors in SE Texas figured out I had high levels of lead in my system when I was a kid.

I wonder if that had anything to do with the fact I lived maybe less than two miles from one of the big oil refineries in the city and could've been exposed to all sorts of nastiness.

Probably explains why I was sick a lot back then and had trouble learning in school.

Ok, so that last one may have been simply because I wasn't exactly all that bright as a kid, but the whole being sick a lot thing might have something to do with the close proximity to the oil refinery.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”