Firearms CHAT: [insert chat title here]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

boskone

Re: Firearms CHAT: [insert chat title here]

Post by boskone » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:03 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:47 pm
I wanted to try those Aguila mini shells, but I've read they don't work well in Remington 870s. I know there's a little adapter for Mossberg shotguns, but I can't find one for Remington shotguns.
Huh, if I had a 12ga pump I'd try some to see.

But now that I think about it, no-one in my family owns one, I don't think; seems like we go from 20ga pumps to 12ga autos, with O/U scattered across. (And my one uncle that adored SxS.)

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:05 pm

Followup: Federal makes "shorty" shotshells, which are apparently minishells but full-power. I'm not sure I see the reason, if the reduced length in pump shotties is questionable.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 10, 2020 11:51 pm

boskone wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:29 pm

(Re:minishells, autos seem to be the only guns that have issues in general; pumps even seem to tolerate them without a problem. I can't think of a single break-action that would have an issue at all.)
Mossbergs are reportedly not fond of them without an adaptor.

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:15 am

My wife got tired of all the additional reloading stuff I’ve accumulated this year (instead of using various friend’s gear) laying all over the house, and it was finally time to reclaim my work bench, so I picked up a cheap work cart from Harbor Freight:

Pretty good setup for most of my reloading stuff; case trimmer and case prep tool, plus miscellaneous stuff in the top tray, calipers, etc. and my small powder scale in the top two drawers:

Original plan was to just keep the rifle dies and plates in the first “big” drawer, and pistol gear plus my yet to be used press-mounted powder thrower in the second:

...but then I remembered I still needed a place for the bullets; powder and primers get stored inside the a/c’d house, but bullets and brass are fine out in the garage. What to do with this lot?

So I moved some stuff around and squeezed them in the various drawers...gotta come up with a better way than this though.

Once I finish processing those last 1,000 or so 300BLK cases (plus the .308 and 6.8 cases) sitting in the bottom of the cart, I’ll have room to store the press down there too.

—break, break—

Will eventually build a new work bench in the much bigger garage at the new place we close on next week. Tempted to inlay a couple T-tracks from Rockler to mount the press, but think I'll build a plate from Inline Fabrication’s quick change system into the top of the new bench to swap out the press, various tools, a vice, etc.

Or maybe just push the easy button and get one of their elevated mounts:

Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:02 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:50 pm
Well, I finally had to retire the camo grip tape I've had on my AK's grip for the past six years.

It got to the point where all the adhesive stuff was gone and the tape started to unravel. So I peeled it off, wiped away whatever adhesive residue had accumulated on my grip over the years and went back to the way it was before I put the tape on it.

Still kind of debating on whether or not I'll put more on (as soon as I buy another roll since I used up the last bit awhile back) or just leave it as is. I may just leave it as is since I don't think the grip tape really made much difference.

If I decide I want a grippy textured grip, I can always pick up the Magpul MOE+ AK grip with the rubber stuff over it. I think that's one of the few Magpul things Academy actively stocks. Pretty much everything else has been out of stock for awhile.
try cutting an old bike tire inner tube to size and slipping that over the grip instead of sticky tape stuff. or put the cammo tape on top of the innertube to keep sticky stuff off your grip.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:29 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:02 am
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Well, I finally had to retire the camo grip tape I've had on my AK's grip for the past six years.

It got to the point where all the adhesive stuff was gone and the tape started to unravel. So I peeled it off, wiped away whatever adhesive residue had accumulated on my grip over the years and went back to the way it was before I put the tape on it.

Still kind of debating on whether or not I'll put more on (as soon as I buy another roll since I used up the last bit awhile back) or just leave it as is. I may just leave it as is since I don't think the grip tape really made much difference.

If I decide I want a grippy textured grip, I can always pick up the Magpul MOE+ AK grip with the rubber stuff over it. I think that's one of the few Magpul things Academy actively stocks. Pretty much everything else has been out of stock for awhile.
try cutting an old bike tire inner tube to size and slipping that over the grip instead of sticky tape stuff. or put the cammo tape on top of the innertube to keep sticky stuff off your grip.
I might try that the next time I get the idea to mod my AK grip.

I think for now, though, I'm going to leave the grip as is.

Phil
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead. Certain newscasts.

Post by Phil » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:36 am

This last week I completely stripped down my "American Enfield" Winchester, U.S. Rifle, .30 Cal. Model of 1917 (I just love that sentence for a name) to its constituent parts, cleaned the metal and set it in a new (to me) stock and set of handguards. I mentioned this rifle in the longarms subforum here: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=124797
I decided to stick with iron sights since there is no real way to get an optic on there and still retain quick loading from chargers.
So the rifle got brand new (old stock unused) front and rear handguards, and a genuine issue 1917 stock. Buttplate, swivels, handguard retainer, handguard band, front band/bayonet lug, and all new screws. The NOS handguards were even slightly unfinished and needed a coat of oil, so it's on its second coat of linseed as of this morning.
Now that I took the front sight off to get the front handguard/bayonet lug band on, I have to find a way to sight the thing in again. For years this rifle was able to do really tight groupings and could reliably hit targets out at 600yds. I'd like to regain that ability, but I know that with the new furniture, accuracy *might* suffer, but probably not much. This never was meant to be a match grade rifle; it's a very usable main battle rifle that needs to be able to hit a man-sized silhouette past 400yds. So, seeing as I want to reach out and touch some paper or steel plates, I need to find an outdoor range, preferably with 300+yds, somewhere in eastern/southeastern Pennsylvania.

Phil Forrest
"you will not laugh, you will not cry, you will learn by the numbers, I will teach you!"
GYSGT Hartman, FMJ

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:42 am

Phil wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:36 am
This last week I completely stripped down my "American Enfield" Winchester, U.S. Rifle, .30 Cal. Model of 1917 (I just love that sentence for a name) to its constituent parts, cleaned the metal and set it in a new (to me) stock and set of handguards. I mentioned this rifle in the longarms subforum here: viewtopic.php?f=109&t=124797

I decided to stick with iron sights since there is no real way to get an optic on there and still retain quick loading from chargers. So the rifle got brand new (old stock unused) front and rear handguards, and a genuine issue 1917 stock. Buttplate, swivels, handguard retainer, handguard band, front band/bayonet lug, and all new screws. The NOS handguards were even slightly unfinished and needed a coat of oil, so it's on its second coat of linseed as of this morning. Now that I took the front sight off to get the front handguard/bayonet lug band on, I have to find a way to sight the thing in again. For years this rifle was able to do really tight groupings and could reliably hit targets out at 600yds. I'd like to regain that ability, but I know that with the new furniture, accuracy *might* suffer, but probably not much. This never was meant to be a match grade rifle; it's a very usable main battle rifle that needs to be able to hit a man-sized silhouette past 400yds. So, seeing as I want to reach out and touch some paper or steel plates, I need to find an outdoor range, preferably with 300+yds, somewhere in eastern/southeastern Pennsylvania.

Phil Forrest
Right On!

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:30 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:29 am
MacWa77ace wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:02 am
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I might try that the next time I get the idea to mod my AK grip.

I think for now, though, I'm going to leave the grip as is.
I really like Macs idea of inner tube on the grip. In my experience, the Magpul plastic (no rubber) grip is nice and the Tapco SAW grip is very nice. I wish I would have got on the SAW train 8 years ago.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:03 pm

I'm liking the feel of the Magpul grip without the grip tape on it. I had a Hogue AK grip on it when I first bought it, but it just felt odd.

Same thing with the Hogue grip that was on that GP100 I used to have. Ended up replacing that one with a Pachmayr Diamond Pro grip that felt a lot better.

I've been thinking of trying one of those Tango Down AK grips for my AK, but I'm really liking the Magpul one I've currently got on it.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:03 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:43 pm

In my defense, I was using a gun I had zero experience with and that had probably last been sighted in when Teddy Roosevelt was still in office.
Well, that explains it. Roosevelt was damn near blind and a terrible shot. He left wounded game all over North America and Africa.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:14 pm

yossarian wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:03 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:43 pm

In my defense, I was using a gun I had zero experience with and that had probably last been sighted in when Teddy Roosevelt was still in office.
Well, that explains it. Roosevelt was damn near blind and a terrible shot. He left wounded game all over North America and Africa.
Given the age of the guy who loaned it to me (guy was pushing 100 when I hunted on his land and this was back in 2002), it wouldn't surprise me if that gun actually had been last sighted in at that point. :lol:

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:19 pm

Phil wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:36 am
I decided to stick with iron sights since there is no real way to get an optic on there and still retain quick loading from chargers.
So the rifle got brand new (old stock unused) front and rear handguards, and a genuine issue 1917 stock. Buttplate, swivels, handguard retainer, handguard band, front band/bayonet lug, and all new screws. The NOS handguards were even slightly unfinished and needed a coat of oil, so it's on its second coat of linseed as of this morning.
Now that I took the front sight off to get the front handguard/bayonet lug band on, I have to find a way to sight the thing in again. For years this rifle was able to do really tight groupings and could reliably hit targets out at 600yds. I'd like to regain that ability, but I know that with the new furniture, accuracy *might* suffer, but probably not much. This never was meant to be a match grade rifle; it's a very usable main battle rifle that needs to be able to hit a man-sized silhouette past 400yds. So, seeing as I want to reach out and touch some paper or steel plates, I need to find an outdoor range, preferably with 300+yds, somewhere in eastern/southeastern Pennsylvania.

Phil Forrest
Where did you find the screws for the rear sling loop? I've got an Eddystone M1917 that someone sporterized (cut down) the stock on. I've got all the pieces to put in back in military configuration but those two screws, and Numrich doesn't have them, and hasn't since I started looking.

Any other good sources?
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:10 pm

Try Sarco, they've got a lot of stuff related to Enfields and likely the Model 1917 as well.

Phil
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead. Certain newscasts.

Post by Phil » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:12 am

I got them from the big auction site. Query: 1917 enfield screw.
I got mine for $4 each. I just checked and don't see the seller I bought from but there are a bunch of others.
I might start a P14 / 1917 Enfield thread here. It would be good to see how many of us have these old MBRs, and collect our parts sources in one big list.
Phil Forrest
"you will not laugh, you will not cry, you will learn by the numbers, I will teach you!"
GYSGT Hartman, FMJ

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:39 pm

I found one. And I bought it. The last one.

Handy, because I actually only needed the one.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:47 pm

Anyone else having issues with Armslist not loading ?

I'm trying to look at the insanely overpriced guns for sale in my AO and I can't get the pages to load at all. I've checked my internet and it's not on my end, so I'm assuming it's something in Armslist's end.

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:16 pm

Seems to be working fine for me, and I have to live with Joe Bob's Country Internet.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:47 pm

Langenator wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:16 pm
Seems to be working fine for me, and I have to live with Joe Bob's Country Internet.
Yeah, but I hear they installed new string between the cans.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:34 pm

:lol:
NT2C wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:47 pm
Langenator wrote:
Yeah, but I hear they installed new string between the cans.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:36 pm

Langenator wrote:
It may just be something on my end then.

I'll give it a few minutes and try again.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:21 pm

This ammo shortage must be hitting folks harder than I thought.....

TFB - The Bayonet Mount from Geissele Automatics

If you have five Picatinny rail sections left Geissele Automatics now has a solution for you, called the “Super Stabby Bayonet Mount“, or SSBM for short – the name gives an idea of how serious the concept is. Made out of aluminum and available in three colors it is compatible with M16 Mil-Spec bayonet lugs & muzzle rings. The end result? See below.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:50 am

RickOShea wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:21 pm

If you have five Picatinny rail sections left Geissele Automatics now has a solution for you, called the “Super Stabby Bayonet Mount“, or SSBM for short – the name gives an idea of how serious the concept is. Made out of aluminum and available in three colors it is compatible with M16 Mil-Spec bayonet lugs & muzzle rings. The end result? See below.

Now we just need Stihl to make a mil-spec bayonet/saw with M16 lug and ring compatibility.

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:02 am

NT2C wrote:
Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:50 am
RickOShea wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:21 pm

Now we just need Stihl to make a mil-spec bayonet/saw with M16 lug and ring compatibility.
I have an on-again/off-again project to build an AR with as many AWB features as possible. The bayo lug was always a tricky part. This solves that problem. And I can even mount it on the side out of the way of a grenade/flare launcher. :twisted:
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”