Firearms CHAT: [insert chat title here]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Re: Firearms CHAT: [insert chat title here]

Post by PistolPete » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:12 pm

BullOnParade wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:07 am
A little off topic; can anyone recommend a stocking Tasmanian Tiger dealer in the states? Looking at a new bug out bag, no one seems to have it in Canada and none of the dealers I've contacted have gotten back to me. I've heard one good review on ordering direct, that may be the way I go, but considering all options at this time.
Botach carries that brand.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:08 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:12 pm
BullOnParade wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:07 am
A little off topic; can anyone recommend a stocking Tasmanian Tiger dealer in the states? Looking at a new bug out bag, no one seems to have it in Canada and none of the dealers I've contacted have gotten back to me. I've heard one good review on ordering direct, that may be the way I go, but considering all options at this time.
Botach carries that brand.
Walmart has a bunch of TT brand stuff on their online sales website. https://www.walmart.com/search?cat_id=0 ... rect=false

https://tasmaniantigerusa.com/dealer-locator.php

https://tasmaniantigerusa.com/online-retailers.php
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:41 pm

Thanks guys. I'll wade through the US dealers list. Neither botach or walmart have the SW TAC 25 listed. Maybe it's too new. Seems a perfect balance for the size of bug out bag and grey man without compromising on tactical features I love in other bags.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:02 pm

I'm contemplating selling a couple of my empty ammo cans to fund other firearms related purchases.

I've got a plastic 25mm ammo can I'm not using right now (used to just hold a couple Mosin ammo pouches) and I'm figuring that one might be an easy sell since it can be multi-purpose.

I also figure I'd sell off a couple of the .30 cal cans I have since I mostly use the big .50 cans to hold my ammo.

What do y'all think ?

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:12 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:02 pm
I'm contemplating selling a couple of my empty ammo cans to fund other firearms related purchases.

I've got a plastic 25mm ammo can I'm not using right now (used to just hold a couple Mosin ammo pouches) and I'm figuring that one might be an easy sell since it can be multi-purpose.

I also figure I'd sell off a couple of the .30 cal cans I have since I mostly use the big .50 cans to hold my ammo.

What do y'all think ?
There'll be ammo again some day. :(

See grandson, this is an ammo can, we used to fill it to the top with ammo.
What's ammo grandad?
Nevermind, I'm tired.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:05 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
What do y'all think ?
Is there strong demand for ammo cans where you live? Around here the 30 cal cans go for $7 or $8. You'd have to sell a lot of them to fund raise for a significant purchase.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:00 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:05 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
What do y'all think ?
Is there strong demand for ammo cans where you live? Around here the 30 cal cans go for $7 or $8. You'd have to sell a lot of them to fund raise for a significant purchase.
Not really. Ammo cans are pretty common in my AO. So much so that my FFL has two big ass pallets full of them.

Screw it, I'll just keep them and fill them with ammo once supply catches up with demand. Whenever the heck that'll be.

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:03 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:00 pm
PistolPete wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
What do y'all think ?
Not really. Ammo cans are pretty common in my AO. So much so that my FFL has two big ass pallets full of them.

Screw it, I'll just keep them and fill them with ammo once supply catches up with demand. Whenever the heck that'll be.
I use ammo cans for a lot of non-ammo uses. They're tough and reasonably weather resistant, so I have a few tools in one, the hooks for my cargo net in one, etc.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:22 pm

boskone wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:03 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:00 pm
PistolPete wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
What do y'all think ?

I use ammo cans for a lot of non-ammo uses. They're tough and reasonably weather resistant, so I have a few tools in one, the hooks for my cargo net in one, etc.
I'm boring, I just keep ammo in mine. :lol:

Though I have used one to hold a bunch of Mosin ammo pouches I traded a suit rack for at a local thrift store.

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:55 pm

I built up a decent collection of ammo cans going to the UAF gunshows in Fairbanks. I would usually not see any guns I could afford, so I'd buy an ammo can or two to convince myself the trip was worth it.

I got some 60mm mortar cans and 40mm grenade cans. I like the 40mm ones quite a bit, but the 60mm ones I wouldn't trust the handle to hold up if they were loaded with anything heavy.

I need to figure out where they all went though, they got scattered to the four corners of the earth during all of my moves.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:20 pm

The biggest cans I've got are a bunch of .50 cal ones. They're a mix of USGI and the aftermarket ones Sam's Club sells around the holidays.

The rest are .30 cal cans. Those are also a mix of USGI and the Sam's Club ones.

The only odd one is the plastic 25mm one I picked up at a yard sale last year and that one's just been sitting in my closet since then. There used to be a guy who sold various size cans in the parking lot of Lowe's or Home Depot in Odessa or Midland, but o haven't seen anything from him in awhile.

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:41 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:20 pm
The biggest cans I've got are a bunch of .50 cal ones. They're a mix of USGI and the aftermarket ones Sam's Club sells around the holidays.

The rest are .30 cal cans. Those are also a mix of USGI and the Sam's Club ones.

The only odd one is the plastic 25mm one I picked up at a yard sale last year and that one's just been sitting in my closet since then. There used to be a guy who sold various size cans in the parking lot of Lowe's or Home Depot in Odessa or Midland, but o haven't seen anything from him in awhile.
Dunno if it'd be useful to you, but I think I've seen people mount rack gear in those 25mm cans, like radios and shit.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:22 pm

Thanks to a buddy who used to be one of the range officers at Quantico, and who always seemed to have a few dozen cans in the bed of his pickup, I do not lack for cans of all shapes and sizes. :mrgreen:

I have most of my steel targets and hanging chains in a 20mm can, the majority of my ammo in .50 cal cans, my shotgun ammo in 40mm cans, and my .380 ACP ammo fits nicely in a belted .30 cal can
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:09 pm

NT2C wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 10:22 pm
Thanks to a buddy who used to be one of the range officers at Quantico, and who always seemed to have a few dozen cans in the bed of his pickup, I do not lack for cans of all shapes and sizes. :mrgreen:

I have most of my steel targets and hanging chains in a 20mm can, the majority of my ammo in .50 cal cans, my shotgun ammo in 40mm cans, and my .380 ACP ammo fits nicely in a belted .30 cal can
If I had the space, I'd move some of my ammo over to 40mm cans. I should see if my FFL has any of those. I know he's got the .50 cal and .30 cal cans, but I'm not sure on the 40mm cans.

Although, now that I think of it, I probably don't have that much ammo where I'd need to put any of it in a 40mm can.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:06 pm

PSA finally released their Dagger Glock clone today and it sold out in about 15 minutes. :shock:

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:15 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:06 pm
PSA finally released their Dagger Glock clone today and it sold out in about 15 minutes. :shock:
Well, I'll be looking forward to the reviews.

And what was the final price?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:21 pm

boskone wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:15 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

No clue. They sold out before I could check the prices and PSA doesn't have the price visible after they sell out.

MSRP was supposed to be about 250 to 270 or so, so I'm going to assume PSA sold them at MSRP or somewhere in that neighborhood.

ETA: Just did a quick check on PSA and they don't have a price listed right now since they sold out of the Dagger pistols.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:10 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
All three of them gone that fast huh?
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:26 am

yossarian wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:10 am
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
It's PSA, not Kel-tec. There were at least 10.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:25 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:21 pm
boskone wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

No clue. They sold out before I could check the prices and PSA doesn't have the price visible after they sell out.

MSRP was supposed to be about 250 to 270 or so, so I'm going to assume PSA sold them at MSRP or somewhere in that neighborhood.

ETA: Just did a quick check on PSA and they don't have a price listed right now since they sold out of the Dagger pistols.
$300.00 for the PS9

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:32 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:25 am
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:21 pm
boskone wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

$300.00 for the PS9
That was the planned price, I wasn't sure if PSA actually managed to hit it.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:33 pm

boskone wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:26 am
yossarian wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Yeah and I'm pretty sure five of them will end up on Gunbroker or Armslist with a stupidly high price tag.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:47 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:33 pm
boskone wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:26 am
yossarian wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Yeah and I'm pretty sure five of them will end up on Gunbroker or Armslist with a stupidly high price tag.
That always happens, with anything. It'll continue to happen as long as idiots keep buying stuff for over-market.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:47 am

Well, it’s been well over a year, but with it being three weeks or more since I’ve seen anything other than bird shot and 350 Legend on the ammo department shelves, I finally broke out the press tonight to start ginning up the reload stocks. Started with the largest stock of spent brass....300BLk. Decapping the first couple hundred rounds was almost therapeutic..by the time I’d emptied the primer tray twice (1K rounds?), I was ready to just spend some time in the hot tub with some brown liquor and a couple tylenol!

My feet and back are killin’ me... LOL. Better toughen up for the zompocalypse!

Good thing I upgraded to the Lyman Cyclone tumbler...it was 3/4 full (optimum is 1/2), but it all fit in there with 5# of stainless steel pins, an oz or so of Dawn dishwashing soap, and enough hot water to cover the brass.

It’s cycling on the tumbler in the garage while I soaked away in the hot tub...will be in for a total of two hours. I like to clean my brass after popping out the primers and before any work on the cases...deburring primer pockets, sizing, etc. I’ll wash ‘em again for about an hour after case processing and inspection. Usually throw in some Lemi-shine in that step to get ‘em pretty before priming and loading.

I’ll get them out and rinse/sift out the brass from the pins and maybe hit the cases with some compressed air to speed the drying process before hitting the hay tonight...should get at least some of it processed and loaded by next weekend.

Edit: Why I like the Lyman tumbler; nesting bins to separate the brass and steel pins:

And a pain to sort the rest, because I can’t find the bigger magnet with the pull handle to drop the pins. This little one From an old hard drive (very strong for the size) works Ok to sift through the brass to get those ones sticking inside the cases:

After a few passes, plus tapping the tray on the towel and then picking up the pins with the magnet, I got the first 100 sorted... and higher than usual (for me anyway) spoilage: 9 that I’ll throw away (of 109, so 8.25% so far) with dents/dings in the case body. Probably fine, but not worth the risk for me:

Will get the rest sorted mañana...

I typically just load to the Hornady specs (I have the 9th edition book) with H110 (Hodgdon) powder for 300BLK..but it’s been awhile. Anyone here have a favorite pet load for 300BLK...supers and subs?
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”