Anyone have a clever way to secure firearms cheaply?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

williaty

Anyone have a clever way to secure firearms cheaply?

Post by williaty » Sun May 03, 2020 6:56 pm

Due to some good fortune, I now have guns I have no place to store securely. In the long run, I'd like to get a SturdySafe as they're the cheapest thing I've found that actually would give someone a hard time getting into it. However, that good fortune I mentioned didn't come with 2 grand to buy a safe. I don't want to just hide them in a closet or something but I can't afford a safe right now. I've seen a couple of Stack-On cabinets around the $200 mark but I really don't think they'd keep anyone out who had even a large screwdriver at their disposal. Does anyone know of something very cheap that's better than just hiding them under the laundry until I can save up and buy a safe?

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: Anyone have a clever way to secure firearms cheaply?

Post by NT2C » Sun May 03, 2020 9:18 pm

Do you rent a place or do you own it? If you own it get yourself a heavy screw eye about 3.5" - 4" long and lag it into a floor joist in a corner of a closet that's out of the way. Now get a length of vinyl covered 1/4" steel cable and appropriate hardware to put a loop on each end, preferably swaged if you have the gear for it or know someone who does. Attach one loop to the screw eye, stack the weapons in the corner and pass the eye through the trigger guard and then lock it to the eyebolt. This is similar to how a lot of shops lock their long guns in their racks. Not the most secure solution but it will prevent grab & go thievery and be a PITA for any burglar to have to deal with.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

williaty

Post by williaty » Sun May 03, 2020 9:22 pm

Hmm, that's not a bad idea. We do own the place, so we can get destructive/creative.

Right now, I'm considering taking a solid core interior door, cutting it down to fit the tiiiiiny closet I have, then using a proper deadbolt in that. It's an outswinging door, so I could reinforce the stops so anyone trying to kick their way in would be kicking against solid wood, not against the deadbolt. The interior and exterior walls of the closet are plywood, so it's not like they could just bust through drywall either. What do you all think of that one?

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun May 03, 2020 11:33 pm

I've posted about it on here before. I never finished my project, but I was gonna build a hot water tank gun cabinet.

Basically, hollow out a hot water tank, make a hidden lockable door. Put it in a closet with fake pipes.

What criminal ever tried to bust open a hot water tank?
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon May 04, 2020 8:22 am

NT2C wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 9:18 pm
Do you rent a place or do you own it? If you own it get yourself a heavy screw eye about 3.5" - 4" long and lag it into a floor joist in a corner of a closet that's out of the way. Now get a length of vinyl covered 1/4" steel cable and appropriate hardware to put a loop on each end, preferably swaged if you have the gear for it or know someone who does. Attach one loop to the screw eye, stack the weapons in the corner and pass the eye through the trigger guard and then lock it to the eyebolt. This is similar to how a lot of shops lock their long guns in their racks. Not the most secure solution but it will prevent grab & go thievery and be a PITA for any burglar to have to deal with.
I was going to say the same thing.

Another way to do it is to run a cable gunlock thru the action itself, and lock it around the floor mounted cable. that way you just unlock one gun at a time and don't have to unstring the whole lot to get the gun in the middle.

I don't trust just the trigger guard, many can be removed easily.

Image Image
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon May 04, 2020 10:55 am

Yes, some trigger guards are easy to open/remove, but so are cable gun locks so it's a toss up.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

raptor2
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor2 » Mon May 04, 2020 11:26 am

These are good suggestions.

One not mentioned. For firearms that are easy to disassemble, remove the bolt & firing pin and store those in a separate location. They are smaller and can be easily hidden or locked up elsewhere. (note not for Colt Woodsman or Ruger .22 w/oeasy takedown).

Personal opinion here:
A safe is not a panacea. They are frequently are easy to defeat by a knowledgeable thief. That and they scream "Hey over here! something valuable is here.!" They are big, heavy and difficult to hide without a lot of work.

My personal preference is to use an existing closet and have a simple removable panel built into the back or side of the closet with a simply stack on type safe behind the panel. Not that I have anything like that... but if i did, there would be shelving unit attached to the panel obscuring the panel.

I have also seen the stack on safes installed in the attic by simply screwing them to the floor.

Edited to add:

Not mine but same concept, albeit with a gun safe built into the wall:
Duco Ergo Sum

raptor2 is the new profile name for raptor.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=8190

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon May 04, 2020 11:46 am

Hiding, over securing them in a safe, is easier, cheaper, and quick. Also, I agree with r²'s comment about safes.

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Mon May 04, 2020 12:59 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 11:33 pm
I've posted about it on here before. I never finished my project, but I was gonna build a hot water tank gun cabinet.

Basically, hollow out a hot water tank, make a hidden lockable door. Put it in a closet with fake pipes.

What criminal ever tried to bust open a hot water tank?
Just make sure not to plumb it with copper, otherwise it's a target all on it's own.

I personally like a big safe for the fire protection, and while there are firearms in it, there are many more documents, electronic backups, irreplaceable books, and heirlooms in my safe.

Concealment is a big plus, but unfortunately mine is in the worst place possible, next to sitting outside, the garage.

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon May 04, 2020 1:51 pm

ZMace wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 12:59 pm
I personally like a big safe for the fire protection, and while there are firearms in it, there are many more documents, electronic backups, irreplaceable books, and heirlooms in my safe.

Concealment is a big plus, but unfortunately mine is in the worst place possible, next to sitting outside, the garage.
Ditto, on all points. Mine is anchored into the slab, and the pryable face of the door is just that: a face. It'd take some serious doing to get it loose.

What I plan to do on a build--and williaty might consider--is building a room to FEMA storm room standards. You'd have to do some gutting, but you'd end up with a nice, secure room.

In my current house, the only suitable room--windowless, preferably interior--is the guest bath, but a walk-in closet might also be suitable.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:15 pm

Building benches or other bulky furniture with hidden compartments isn't too hard with modest woodworking tools if you enjoy those sort of projects.

At a time I was moving into an unsecure dwelling I built a daybed out of scrap wood. There were shelves under it facing outward and loaded with board games. The back side was a hidden trunk with a large locked pelican case in it. To access it you had to know where to reach under the shelves on each side to pull on hidden drawbolts. Then pull the mattress off and lift the seemingly well screwed on board (the screws didn't go through). If the bolts were still secured, it just felt like a screwed on board. I don't think any burglar would ever find it.

My Mom asked for it when I sold the place. It's now a guest bed and she stores spare bedding in the hidden compartment.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Challenger007

Post by Challenger007 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:02 am

Well, someone needs to know exactly what you have in there in order to break into lockers. Alternatively, the weapon can be hidden in the toolbox. If several of these boxes stand one on top of the other, there will be tools in the upper one, who will guess that somewhere in the lower one there are weapons? Simple enough, but it might work. As the saying goes, "you need to hide in the most visible place so that no one pays attention."

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:32 pm

A job site tool box can be as hard to break into as most of the safes sold in big box stores, but costs way less. Choose the right style of padlocks and you have a pretty secure storage box. https://images.homedepot-static.com/pro ... 4_1000.jpg
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

eugene

Post by eugene » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:29 pm

If I didn't already have a safe, I think I'd go with some of these https://www.snapsafe.com/specialty-safes/under-bed-safe and then get some nice thick heavy lumber and build a whole bed frame around it.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:48 pm

I think concealment often beats security, both both is of course a plus. One family I knew growing up just threw an old cardboard refrigerator box over the gun safe in their garage, and I often place things in front of mine to just add another layer. I leave a very few guns out of the safe and just try to hide them well, if you can think like a burglar reasonably well I don't think its terribly hard to hide guns better than a quick smash-and-grabber could find; combined with a good cable it should be reasonably safe.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:28 pm

I really, really have to recommend against security through obscurity. Contrary to James Bond movies, the very idea makes any security auditor's skin crawl.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:39 am

boskone wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:28 pm
I really, really have to recommend against security through obscurity. Contrary to James Bond movies, the very idea makes any security auditor's skin crawl.
I don't know anything about that interwebby stuff, but it can be a part of an overall physical security plan. Just don't make it the only thing in the plan.

Layer your defenses.

Sigfried

Post by Sigfried » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:16 am

If your goal is simply to hide the gun before buying a safe, then consider hiding it in the ceiling area, this will make it less noticeable. Inexpensive high-quality safes can be looked for for purchase here https://www.thesafekeeper.com/gun-safes ... -long.html

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”