Covid-19 Leads to Surge of Guns & Ammo Sales

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Re: Covid-19 Leads to Surge of Guns & Ammo Sales

Post by 91Eunozs » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:38 pm

Swung by the Academy and Costco near work this morning just to see what was going on... crazy!

Line around the building to get into Costco; they’d let one person in as someone left. Didn’t bother going in.

Went into Academy and same deal as others are reporting...cleaned out except for really niche rounds, and the really expensive .308 ($2/round and up). Told my buddy who has a Petra that he was set...tons of 300 Win Mag in stock.

I did grab the last box of 6.8 and two of the last 6 boxes of cheap 300BLK, just because they were on sale at normal prices and I can always use more brass for reloading.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:24 pm

Homeless guy vs Asian Woman happened in my AO, I believe. Years ago I stopped using mass transit on a routine basis over this problem.

Yes, the Asian population freaked out over it.They have been making runs on the LGS. Sadly, no attending any schools on the matter. Lara suggested opening up my own school.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:39 am

jor-el wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:24 pm
Lara suggested opening up my own school.
If you do set up a class be sure to keep the class size to 10 or fewer and maintain "proper social distance" at all times. :D

BTW good to see you back.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:36 am

raptor wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:39 am
jor-el wrote:
If you do set up a class be sure to keep the class size to 10 or fewer and maintain "proper social distance" at all times. :D

You could have a billboard with a picture of yourself wearing N95 mask and holding a pistol with nitrile gloves on.
MASKED MAN SHOOTING SCHOOL
Take your PPE to the next level
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:05 pm

flybynight wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:36 am
raptor wrote:
jor-el wrote:

You could have a billboard with a picture of yourself wearing N95 mask and holding a pistol with nitrile gloves on.

Sorry but shooting and school in the title is not good PR.

Mask Man Shooting Training

echo83

Post by echo83 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:10 pm

Stopped by my LGS last week and it was the busiest I'd ever seen it. Pleasant, as always, but packed.

I picked up a bunch of 7.62x39, and was pretty amped to find a bunch of Chinese milsurp on stripper clips. They haven't had anything except Tula and Wolf on my last 4 visits and stripper clips are impossible to find. There was a better variety of it than usual, but less of it, if that makes sense.

Everyone there was focused exclusively on handguns and 5.56/.223. The counter displays were looking really thin.

Big credit to the store: 20 round boxes of 7.62x39 were still $5.25 apiece, as usual. No price gouging. The stripper clipped 7.62x39 was packed three clips to a package for $4.95. Corrosive, of course, and made in 1975.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:57 pm

Should be

Tactical Shooting While Wearing PPE

If it doesn't say tactical it doesn't count.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:24 pm

raptor wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:05 pm
flybynight wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:36 am
raptor wrote:
jor-el wrote:

Sorry but shooting and school in the title is not good PR.

Mask Man Shooting Training
Should be

Tactical Shooting While Wearing PPE

If it doesn't say tactical it doesn't count.
Bet you two get upset when it's called the Chinese Virus too :mrgreen:
MASKED MAN SCHOOL OF TACTICAL RESPONSE
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:04 am

Several gun and ammo web sties are showing banners with messages like "due to high order volume orders may take 7-10 days to ship". This is true of Grabagun.comwhich also adds "Firearm Shipments to PA & CA are Paused". Not sure what is going on there.

Bud's guns budsgunshop.com states "Our distributor network is currently prohibiting us from canceling or updating shipments. As a result, we are unable to cancel/modify orders after they have been placed" which may be geared to folks who made an order but then found it cheaper somewhere else and want to change or cancel. Not really sure on that one, does anyone have any light they can shed on that?

Midway midwayusa.comhas a huge page pop up that states, in part, that their order volume has increased dramatically and they have an 8+ day backlog that is increasing. It also states they have placed limits on many high demand products and that some things in their March and April flyers are already sold out. Because they don't know when they'll receive them again, they are not allowing back orders on these high demand products. Item 3 on their site says that their suppliers are also swamped and some have temporarily shut down. Item 4 states that their shipping partners are also swamped with orders and are taking longer to deliver. Item 5, they have stopped taking phone calls as their customer service folks are now working in shipping. And lastly, they have suspended their customer pickup service.

So it looks like this is a big, and drawn out, surge in sales. And a great example of why we always preach preparedness. But this pandemic will end, someday, and once again we will be able to "buy it cheap and stack it deep."
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:31 am

FlashDaddy wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:04 am
This is true of Grabagun.comwhich also adds "Firearm Shipments to PA & CA are Paused". Not sure what is going on there.
Both are under lockdown. Would have to look at the specific exemptions, but I'd be surprised if FFLs meet their definition of "life sustaining retail"

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:31 am

Confucius wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:31 am
FlashDaddy wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:04 am
This is true of Grabagun.comwhich also adds "Firearm Shipments to PA & CA are Paused". Not sure what is going on there.
Both are under lockdown. Would have to look at the specific exemptions, but I'd be surprised if FFLs meet their definition of "life sustaining retail"
You are of course correct:
State authorities will not begin enforcing the order until Monday morning, although the requirement to close remains in place, the governor’s office announced Friday night. Wolf issued the order with State Health Secretary Rachel Levine as part of Pennsylvania’s effort to slow the spread of coronavirus.

Wolf urged business owners who are uncertain whether they’re required to close to check a list provided by the governor’s office or contact the the Department of Community and Economic Development.

The governor’s office also filed a response Friday night to lawsuits claiming he overstepped his authority by including law firms and gun shops in his order directing non-life sustaining businesses across the state to close.
more at link:
https://www.mcall.com/coronavirus/mc-nw ... story.html

Edit to add this gem from the above article;
The suit said the state's gun shops “have been left with insufficient guidance as to their potential status as ‘life sustaining.“’

It also challenges Wolf’s order on Second Amendment and other constitutional grounds, saying the right to bear arms “is the epitome of life-sustaining.”
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:08 pm

Selling guns today. One went to a local gun store. One will go on GunBroker. One will likely be a private sale. One may or may not get sold (an antique and best to sell online but pistol sales are tough due to FFLs being reluctant to ship your pistol).

The shotgun went to the LGS, and got less than I wanted for the gun. About $100 less, but the ammo fetched about $50 more than expected, so good enough. I certainly didn't turn a profit, but my loss was lessened (made an actual profit on the ammo). I'll end up selling a pistol and a rifle. The rifle will go to auction. The pistol will probably go to someone in my network/family.

The other, antique, pistol can wait a bit. I likely will get the same price in 6 or 18 months. I don't think antiques are affected much by panic buying.

Ammo more than "guns" seems to be the thing to sell right now. Just my current experience.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:39 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:08 pm
Selling guns today. One went to a local gun store. One will go on GunBroker. One will likely be a private sale. One may or may not get sold (an antique and best to sell online but pistol sales are tough due to FFLs being reluctant to ship your pistol).

The shotgun went to the LGS, and got less than I wanted for the gun. About $100 less, but the ammo fetched about $50 more than expected, so good enough. I certainly didn't turn a profit, but my loss was lessened (made an actual profit on the ammo). I'll end up selling a pistol and a rifle. The rifle will go to auction. The pistol will probably go to someone in my network/family.

The other, antique, pistol can wait a bit. I likely will get the same price in 6 or 18 months. I don't think antiques are affected much by panic buying.

Ammo more than "guns" seems to be the thing to sell right now. Just my current experience.
Me too, especially in gun rich Alabama. Ammo demand is much higher and (based upon the sounds I hear around me today) being used up.
You go over and under
I go through

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:55 pm

Went to a blood drive today at the local Cabela's. Decided to run in really quick and get some gear for spring that I needed (life jacket). Didn't want to go in, but it is what it is.

Place was deserted. Except for the mob at the gun and ammo section. And it was a mob.

As far as handgun ammo, only thing they had plenty of was .40 and .38 special for defense loads. Couple big boxes of range 10mm.

Didn't look at rifle because I didn't want to get close to people.

I'm guessing everyone was trying to buy a gun. Maybe 30 people standing around in line bitching.

Crazy times, crazy times
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:23 pm

I just need to share the story of my selling my 12 ga buckshot.

I belly up to the counter with a big box of 12 ga buckshot. I'm chatting with the help and he is explaining their policy and how he will count it up and pay. He is a big shotgunner so we chatted about what buckshot loads we preferred for what, and what brands we liked as he counts things up. The owner perks up and wanders over. Behind me I hear...

"Oh Jesus!"

I look. The Help looks.

"Oh, well, I heard you two talking about an ungodly amount of buckshot and I had to see....

...that's a very unusual amount of buckshot for one person to own."

Me: "well, I'm not a usual guy."

Owner: "Nope."

It was between 300 and 400 rounds? I didn't think it was that much? I made more than they gave me for the gun.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:41 pm

As far as handgun ammo, only thing they had plenty of was .40 and .38 special for defense loads.
Fortay FTW every panic.... it has been amazingly consistent.
You go over and under
I go through

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:59 pm

What's the antique pistol?

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:08 pm

"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

quazi

Post by quazi » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:12 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:41 pm
As far as handgun ammo, only thing they had plenty of was .40 and .38 special for defense loads.
I remember back during the 2012 panic they ran out of 10mm locally, and didn't get any more for a looooong time (I"m guessing the ammo manufactures weren't producing it when other cartridges were in such huge demand). I saw that there was plenty of .40 S&W, so I broke down and bought a conversion barrel. I bought two boxes of ammo, then the supply of .40 in town dried up and I couldn't find any more of that either for the better part of a year. :gonk:

I don't know if Fairbanks, AK had a particularly large proportion of panic buyers or if they just didn't bother shipping ammo to AK when it sold so fast in the Lower 48, but either way I frequently had trouble getting ammo in that town.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:44 pm

So, yes, there's a lot of panic buying going on now and store shelves are getting emptied, but think of the positive side. A lot of anti-gunners are starting to see the light and reform their ways, and once this passes (and pass it eventually will), there's going to be an awful lot of nice, lightly used and NIB guns turning up at yard/garage sales. :crazy:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:57 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:44 pm
So, yes, there's a lot of panic buying going on now and store shelves are getting emptied, but think of the positive side. A lot of anti-gunners are starting to see the light and reform their ways, and once this passes (and pass it eventually will), there's going to be an awful lot of nice, lightly used and NIB guns turning up at yard/garage sales. :crazy:
I'm actually hoping that'll happen. I've sold a gun at a yard sale before, but I've never bought a gun at a yard sale.

And I live in Texas, where you'd think that'd happen more often, right ? :lol:

Barr
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Holy Trilogy of Dawn, Night and Day, Land of the Dead, Survival of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, Fido, Shaun of the Dead, hell all of them really

Post by Barr » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:47 pm

https://www.statesman.com/news/20200321 ... rock-h-e-b

Also I went to the local Cop Shop yesterday, and they were steadily running out of inventory. Every other gun store in town is out of the usual pistols (excluding the $1500 and up) and getting really low on AR-15's and ScatterGats of various gauges.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:Fuck it I'm Zombie Squad. I got this shit

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:43 am

Stercutus wrote:
Yep... Makes me want to grab a .40 for emergency purposes... But then again, I always have ammo anyways and don't rely on panic buying.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:58 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:57 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:44 pm
I'm actually hoping that'll happen. I've sold a gun at a yard sale before, but I've never bought a gun at a yard sale.

And I live in Texas, where you'd think that'd happen more often, right ? :lol:
I've never seen guns at a yard sale, at least beyond pellet rifles and the odd .22, though they're fairly common at estate sales.

I should go to more estate sales, I keep hearing about people stumbling into great workshop lots and the like.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:00 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:43 am
Stercutus wrote:
Yep... Makes me want to grab a .40 for emergency purposes... But then again, I always have ammo anyways and don't rely on panic buying.
I wonder what pistol has the most conversion options? Might be nice to have a panic-resistant option, even if it's not a go-to weapon.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”