Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Stercutus

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by Stercutus » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:34 pm

A lot of states of similar policies. NC, for example had (I think still has) requirements to get a pistol permit from the sheriff before making a handgun purchase. This is a carryover from the Jim Crow days to keep blacks from getting easy, legal access to defensive firearms.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:22 pm

flybynight wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:12 am
Well like I said. Not really interested in the pistols. But once the double stack pistol comes out. The carbines can't be far behind. Be pretty cool to have a carbine with a 15-20 round mag for under four hundred in 10 mm auto.
I'm almost embarassed to say it, but Hi-point carbines are actually ugly enough I don't want one. I'm usually one for form over function, but it's like they intentionally designed a gun I would hate. The Hi-tower bullpup shell is kinda tempting, but then you're just a hundred or so short of a Ruger PC-9 or PC-40.

(I do kinda want a PC-9 or PC-40 with a Magpul Backpacker stock. Slap some aperture sights on it, a red-dot or low-mag prism scope, and I think it'd be a dandy pack/truck gun.)

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:47 pm

boskone wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:22 pm
flybynight wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:12 am
Well like I said. Not really interested in the pistols. But once the double stack pistol comes out. The carbines can't be far behind. Be pretty cool to have a carbine with a 15-20 round mag for under four hundred in 10 mm auto.
I'm almost embarassed to say it, but Hi-point carbines are actually ugly enough I don't want one. I'm usually one for form over function, but it's like they intentionally designed a gun I would hate. The Hi-tower bullpup shell is kinda tempting, but then you're just a hundred or so short of a Ruger PC-9 or PC-40.

(I do kinda want a PC-9 or PC-40 with a Magpul Backpacker stock. Slap some aperture sights on it, a red-dot or low-mag prism scope, and I think it'd be a dandy pack/truck gun.)
I have a PC-9 with a RDS on it and it would make an ideal pack gun for the truck if not for the need for the barrel to be greased where it enters the receiver. That tends to get grease on everything until you say "screw it" and just leave it together. Now, if someone came out with a cover for that they'd probably make a few bucks.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:08 pm

moab wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:07 am
MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:06 am
From The Des Moines Register
'Clarity' on firearms

Michael Ware, chairman of the Iowa Firearms Coalition, said the order’s provisions around firearms permits brings some clarity to a patchwork of responses from county sheriffs.

Ware said his organization has been “bombarded” with questions from Iowans about how to navigate the issue.

“Sheriffs have a great deal of control and a great deal of responsibility in their 99 respective counties,” he said. “And, unfortunately, the fact of the matter is that leaves the possibility for 99 different policies. And so to have the governor say these are prudent and wise best practices, let’s adhere to these — that helps a lot.”

Currently, Iowans must submit their permits to acquire handguns in person to their local sheriff’s office. However, some counties have closed their buildings to the public to limit the possible spread of the virus.

Reynolds’ order directs each sheriff’s office to create procedures to allow applications for permits to acquire handguns and permits to carry firearms to be dropped off on site without interaction with staff, as well as by mail and online where possible.

“It looks to me like this is a wise way to move forward,” Ware said. “This route employs social distancing and gives people an option to exercise their rights.”

Reynolds’ order also said that state permits to carry weapons will not expire while the proclamation is in effect. However, it doesn’t change federal requirements around background checks.

Iowans undergo a federal background check when they first receive their permit, and they do not have to undergo a new background check each time they purchase a firearm while their permit is valid. Iowans seeking to purchase firearms on a technically-expired Iowa permit will have to undergo a background check at the point of sale, Ware said.
This is just to acquire a firearm correct? Not a concealed weapons permit? You have to ask the sheriff to approve it?! Sounds like bullshit to me. Sheriffs have way to much power in IA IMHO. You don't even have to go thru the sheriff here in CA to buy a gun. Just for concealed weapons permits.

I get the point. That they streamed lined their process for the corona virus. But the process to have to go thru the sheriff is problematic.
One needs to see the Sheriff for either a Permit to Acquire or a Permit to Carry (handguns).

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:36 am

NT2C wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:47 pm
I have a PC-9 with a RDS on it and it would make an ideal pack gun for the truck if not for the need for the barrel to be greased where it enters the receiver. That tends to get grease on everything until you say "screw it" and just leave it together. Now, if someone came out with a cover for that they'd probably make a few bucks.
Hard to see for sure from a quick web search, but it looks like it's basically just a cylinder with 4 lugs?

I'd think that would be simple enough to design and 3d print something. Might even be able to just do it in vase mode (single layer deep) and be strong enough for simple storage.

Someone with a better 3d printing environment than I have might be able to come up with something. I need a print enclosure, I think, but don't have a good place to put one. :|

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:54 am

boskone wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:36 am
NT2C wrote:
Hard to see for sure from a quick web search, but it looks like it's basically just a cylinder with 4 lugs?

I'd think that would be simple enough to design and 3d print something. Might even be able to just do it in vase mode (single layer deep) and be strong enough for simple storage.

Someone with a better 3d printing environment than I have might be able to come up with something. I need a print enclosure, I think, but don't have a good place to put one. :|
Ideally, the cover would fit on like the receiver does (insert barrel and twist) so it stays on in storage our while carrying the pack yet is simple to remove with a twist and pull.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:54 am

NT2C wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:54 am
boskone wrote:
NT2C wrote:

Ideally, the cover would fit on like the receiver does (insert barrel and twist) so it stays on in storage our while carrying the pack yet is simple to remove with a twist and pull.
By description, it sounds like an interrupted thread? A standard threaded barrel with the sides cut off. I like the idea of a cover that threads on, I grabbed my takedown lever action on my way to work today to see if I can figure something out.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:21 am

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:57 pm
MacWa77ace wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:11 pm

And one of our full on anti gunners said yesterday to us 2A peeps, "you guys are lucky, you have guns for protection." :shock:
Did you let him/her know that can be fixed? Pretty quick? This is America, after all.
a little harder when they are starting off behind the panic buying curve.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:54 am

emclean wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:21 am
woodsghost wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:57 pm
MacWa77ace wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:11 pm

And one of our full on anti gunners said yesterday to us 2A peeps, "you guys are lucky, you have guns for protection." :shock:
Did you let him/her know that can be fixed? Pretty quick? This is America, after all.
a little harder when they are starting off behind the panic buying curve.
While I agree generally, guns seem to still be plentiful in Nebraska. Prices are not going high, that I see. It is the ammo which seems to be an issue. Buying 1 box of 9mm can be tough. And a new buyer won't know the places to check for private ammo sales.

A new buyer "training" seems out of the question.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:43 pm

BullOnParade wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:54 am
NT2C wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:54 am
boskone wrote:
NT2C wrote:

By description, it sounds like an interrupted thread? A standard threaded barrel with the sides cut off. I like the idea of a cover that threads on, I grabbed my takedown lever action on my way to work today to see if I can figure something out.
No, it's 4 equidistant locking lugs.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:33 pm

Ammo prices don't look to be falling again anytime soon. I was just over on Rock Island Auctions bidding on a few things and what ammo was going for was insane. I think even RIAC themselves were surprised because stuff was going for 2x their high estimate for some things, and .50 BMG or belted ammo was going even higher. One lot of 30-06 belted that was estimated at a high of $1,500 went for $4,500 :shock:

Gun prices were high as well. A damn Rogak P-18 went for $375 and that's without any mags.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:43 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:33 pm
Ammo prices don't look to be falling again anytime soon. I was just over on Rock Island Auctions bidding on a few things and what ammo was going for was insane. I think even RIAC themselves were surprised because stuff was going for 2x their high estimate for some things, and .50 BMG or belted ammo was going even higher. One lot of 30-06 belted that was estimated at a high of $1,500 went for $4,500 :shock:

Gun prices were high as well. A damn Rogak P-18 went for $375 and that's without any mags.
I suspect different sellers are having different experiences. My AK is pretty reasonably priced and it is not moving. I'm betting we are looking at different populations. Or different subsets of the US gun market.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:17 pm

One lot of 30-06 belted that was estimated at a high of $1,500 went for $4,500
Hmmm... now where did leave that can of links? I have plenty of delinked milsurp .30-06... How many rounds did you say it was?
You go over and under
I go through

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:37 pm

NT2C wrote:

.50 BMG and anything belted are pretty high on the specialty ammo pyramid. (Things like the .577/450 and anything ending in Nitro Express might be higher up.) But when Palmetto is selling East Bloc (Polish) 7.62x54R spam cans for over $200, yeah, prices are a bit high.

It took about 2 years for the ammo market to fully recover after Sandy Hook, and there wasn't potential upstream supply chain disruptions at that time. (Stores that sell guns and ammo may have been decreed 'essential,' but what about powder factories, lead and copper smelters, etc?). I'm going to guess it will be at least a year before prices come all the way back down, if not longer.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:47 pm

Langenator wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:37 pm
NT2C wrote:

.50 BMG and anything belted are pretty high on the specialty ammo pyramid. (Things like the .577/450 and anything ending in Nitro Express might be higher up.) But when Palmetto is selling East Bloc (Polish) 7.62x54R spam cans for over $200, yeah, prices are a bit high.

It took about 2 years for the ammo market to fully recover after Sandy Hook, and there wasn't potential upstream supply chain disruptions at that time. (Stores that sell guns and ammo may have been decreed 'essential,' but what about powder factories, lead and copper smelters, etc?). I'm going to guess it will be at least a year before prices come all the way back down, if not longer.
Great points about "essential businesses." I can assure you Hornedy was not closed by the Nebraska government, and I'd be surprised if they closed volentarely. I would expect the DOD and law enforcement agencies lobbied for the ammo supply chain to stay open. But I really don't know for sure.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:30 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:17 pm
Hmmm... now where did leave that can of links? I have plenty of delinked milsurp .30-06... How many rounds did you say it was?
It was this one:

(click for full-size image)

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:58 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:30 pm
Stercutus wrote:
It was this one:

That is some nice stuff but $200 a can does seem a bit high.
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:55 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:58 pm
NT2C wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:30 pm
Stercutus wrote:
It was this one:

That is some nice stuff but $200 a can does seem a bit high.
$0.90 per round.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:45 am

woodsghost wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:47 pm
Langenator wrote:
NT2C wrote:

Great points about "essential businesses." I can assure you Hornedy was not closed by the Nebraska government, and I'd be surprised if they closed volentarely. I would expect the DOD and law enforcement agencies lobbied for the ammo supply chain to stay open. But I really don't know for sure.
The .mil has their own supply chain, since I'm pretty sure Lake City makes all it's own components, including brass. So unless their supply of raw materials dries up, they'd be OK. And if the .mil is doing the isolation/minimal activity thing, they won't be using up much of their on hand supplies, anyway. (I know the PD I work for shut down annual firearms quals halfway through a scheduled day of shooting, even though it was an outdoor range and we didn't have more than 10 people out there at a time.)
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:29 am

Langenator wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:45 am
woodsghost wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:47 pm
Langenator wrote:
NT2C wrote:

The .mil has their own supply chain, since I'm pretty sure Lake City makes all it's own components, including brass. So unless their supply of raw materials dries up, they'd be OK. And if the .mil is doing the isolation/minimal activity thing, they won't be using up much of their on hand supplies, anyway. (I know the PD I work for shut down annual firearms quals halfway through a scheduled day of shooting, even though it was an outdoor range and we didn't have more than 10 people out there at a time.)
Supply chain manufacturers and suppliers (mills and foundries) are deemed essential in Ontario. The global supply chain is a vicious monster that must be fed. I work for a small stamping facility with automotive customers. If we were to fall short on an order and as a result an OEM facility has to stop production, we are fined something to the tune of $100k/hour until production starts again. Imagine if the government forced a supply chain issue that created debts of millions.

What may happen is ammo manufacturers could be forced to special order their materials, if the foundries aren't doing runs of certain materials as frequently, those who want it may need to commit to a larger portion. We experienced this with an industrial adhesive we use in a water heater assembly; our suppliers usually have some volume available and multiple users buy it up as they need. Most of those other users must be out of play, and we had to purchase a whole batch from the manufacturer.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:54 pm

Our LEA bought huge amounts of training ammo during the price dip the last few years. The same guy did the purchasing during the shortages and decided not to get caught short again and filled the armory up. For us the issue is the duty ammo which we replace every six months.
You go over and under
I go through

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:56 pm

My time with Armslist has been an adventure. I've got messages from some assholes. But I have heard from and met some WONDERFUL Americans! All men so far, but men who make the Red, White, and Blue really stir in my veins! The gun community can be weird, but I have met so many terrific people and I'm really proud to be a part of this subculture. The people who tend to actually buy what I'm selling also tend to have a "preparedness" bent in life. So I'm pretty sure I'm also rubbing shoulders with some of the local prepper community.

Yeah, it has been interesting!

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:06 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:56 pm
My time with Armslist has been an adventure. I've got messages from some assholes. But I have heard from and met some WONDERFUL Americans! All men so far, but men who make the Red, White, and Blue really stir in my veins! The gun community can be weird, but I have met so many terrific people and I'm really proud to be a part of this subculture. The people who tend to actually buy what I'm selling also tend to have a "preparedness" bent in life. So I'm pretty sure I'm also rubbing shoulders with some of the local prepper community.

Yeah, it has been interesting!
Tell us you cleaned up!

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”