Firearms Chat: [REDACTED - for your safety]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

boskone

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by boskone » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:27 pm

flybynight wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:44 pm
Other possible contenders for the name change
Godzilla vrs. the Yeet Cannon
Loose lips sink ships but a Glock makes a Lousy Anchor
Quick draw Mac Boatface
Pistol Packing Safe Space
Flinging Bullets for Fun and Profit
Zombie Gun Chat ( Now with more bullets )
I nominate "Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo (it's just a movie reference, idiots)".

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:14 pm

boskone wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:27 pm
flybynight wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:44 pm
Other possible contenders for the name change
Godzilla vrs. the Yeet Cannon
Loose lips sink ships but a Glock makes a Lousy Anchor
Quick draw Mac Boatface
Pistol Packing Safe Space
Flinging Bullets for Fun and Profit
Zombie Gun Chat ( Now with more bullets )
I nominate "Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo (it's just a movie reference, idiots)".
Wow another vote for Boaty Mac Boat face. Exit polls show Boaty Mac Boat face winning by a landslide
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:06 pm

I'm voting for "Pistol Packing Safe Space." And if I lose, I'll have to make a motion again once we hit 50 pages.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:24 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:06 pm
I'm voting for "Pistol Packing Safe Space." And if I lose, I'll have to make a motion again once we hit 50 pages.
Our records show you already voted for Boaty Mac Boat face earlier today . You can't vote twice. So that/s eight votes for Boaty ( First Boaty chat thread )

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:43 pm

flybynight wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:24 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Our records show you already voted for Boaty Mac Boat face earlier today . You can't vote twice. So that/s eight votes for Boaty ( First Boaty chat thread )
That was the other woodsghost. The one with a beard. I'm the one with a mustache. I'm a totally different person.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:54 pm

flybynight wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:24 pm
woodsghost wrote:
That's a really odd username you've chosen for yourself but... okay, if that's what you really want I guess I can change it for you.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:36 pm

flybynight wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:53 pm
On a similar note. I was looking up some info on something from my hometown and ran across the story that since our moving away in 2006 my former area is now over run by urban coyotes.

https://torranceca.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 19603eeab4
Back in the '80s and early '90s my Great Uncle supplemented his retirement by trapping and removing 'yotes down at the beach. Those hotels, resorts, and condo associations would pay him $25 for each one he caught. Then he'd turn around and sell them to a couple fox hunting clubs for $50 each...apparently, fox hunters and their hounds enjoyed chasing coyotes just as well as foxes. IIRC, I think he was only getting around $10 - $15 for the pelts from the local fur buyer.

But he had to quit doing that back around '94. Someone brought in some coyotes from Texas, along with a new strain of rabies, and our state ended-up outlawing the transportation and sale of live coyotes.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:25 am

My vote is for: "Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 3 Revenge of the Zombie", secondary vote is "Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 3, The Search for Jeriah"
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:54 am

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:25 am
My vote is for: "Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 3 Revenge of the Zombie", secondary vote is "Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 3, The Search for Jeriah"
The one after that will have to be, of course, an "origins" throwback, so Yeet Cannon IV:Boogaloo Beginnings
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:04 pm

"Boogaloo" has been added to the list of banned words.

https://www.adl.org/blog/the-boogaloo-e ... -civil-war

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:29 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:04 pm

I thought only fascists' and communists' banned words ?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:44 pm

flybynight wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:29 pm
absinthe beginner wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:04 pm

I thought only fascists' and communists' banned words ?
I'd like to know who they think they are and on what authority they think they have to be able to ban words. And just because they say "Oh, we've banned that word now." that doesn't mean it just magically disappears from the vocabulary of everyone who has ever known about it.

Have they not heard that old saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." ?

ETA: Part of my question is genuine in that I have no idea who they are. I've never heard of the ADL.

I've heard of the SPLC, so I'm going to assume the ADL is a similar organization.
Last edited by 12_Gauge_Chimp on Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:48 pm

Completely off the subject of banned words, I was checking out my Tokarev yesterday and I noticed an issue with my magazine.

I was doing a functions check with some snap caps and I got a double feed. It was simple enough to clear, but now I'm wondering if my magazine has a weak spring. I can't disassemble it to replace the spring (I guess the floor plate is stuck or something), so repairing it is a bit impossible at the moment.

So I guess this gives me an excuse to go find some spare mags for my Tokarev now. Which is going to be hard since pretty much everywhere I've found is sold out at the moment. :gonk:

ETA: Well, I was able to disassemble my Tokarev mag. All it took was a small nylon hammer and a few taps on the floor plate and I got my magazine disassembled.
Last edited by 12_Gauge_Chimp on Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:55 pm

12_guage_chimp said: I'd like to know who they think they are and on what authority they think they have to be able to ban words. And just because they say "Oh, we've banned that word now." that doesn't mean it just magically disappears from the vocabulary of everyone who has ever known about it.
Terms like "Boogaloo" aren't banned per se (for the most part) but rather become part of the bewilderingly infinite, ever-expanding lexicon of "hate speech" or symbols.

https://www.adl.org/hate-symbols

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:17 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:55 pm
12_guage_chimp said: I'd like to know who they think they are and on what authority they think they have to be able to ban words. And just because they say "Oh, we've banned that word now." that doesn't mean it just magically disappears from the vocabulary of everyone who has ever known about it.
Terms like "Boogaloo" aren't banned per se (for the most part) but rather become part of the bewilderingly infinite, ever-expanding lexicon of "hate speech" or symbols.

https://www.adl.org/hate-symbols
I could get into a whole rant about "hate speech", but I've already been pecker-slapped by the mods once, so I'm going to shut up.

I'll just continue talking about guns and go to my happy place whenever something idiotic like this whole "boogaloo" mess pops up. Keeps me from putting my foot in my mouth and it keeps my blood pressure at a healthy level.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:15 pm

There are some great George Orwell quotes on perverting language for political ends, but I won't go there. Google is your friend.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:32 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:15 pm
There are some great George Orwell quotes on perverting language for political ends, but I won't go there. Google is your friend.
Can't control the signal, so control the message?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:56 pm

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:33 am

Anybody have any recommendations for shooting gloves? I have an outdoor 2 day pistol class this weekend and the temperature looks to be in the mid 40's as a high, with one of the mornings starting at 28°. Bleah.

My local stores don't carry much if any, and the gloves they do have just seem so bulky. I'm hoping to get some sooner rather than later so I can at least do some dry fire with it on before the weekend.

HarlequinHal

Post by HarlequinHal » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:49 am

I would recommend some cheap mechanics gloves from Harbor Freight or similar. They work like a charm.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:09 pm

norcalprep wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:33 am
Anybody have any recommendations for shooting gloves? I have an outdoor 2 day pistol class this weekend and the temperature looks to be in the mid 40's as a high, with one of the mornings starting at 28°. Bleah.

My local stores don't carry much if any, and the gloves they do have just seem so bulky. I'm hoping to get some sooner rather than later so I can at least do some dry fire with it on before the weekend.
Avoid anything with rubber like palm. Your hands will go from "cold" to "froze solid"
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:24 pm

Ho Ho Ho: The New HK SP5 – Heckler & Koch USA Drops A Real MP5

We have heard the pleas from the American pistol caliber carbine market countless times over the years: “why doesn’t H&K make a semiautomatic MP5 pistol for the civilian market?” Arguably the most iconic submachine gun in history, the H&K MP5 is highly coveted by shooters and collectors alike. However, the majority of authentic 9mm German roller-delayed firearms in the United States are uber-expensive, transferable select fire guns leaving us mere mortals to purchase clones made from parts kits or imports made on older manufacturing equipment. But now, my friends, our prayers have been answered – the HK SP5 is an authentic Heckler & Koch MP5 semiautomatic pistol available to consumers.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:53 pm

$2,799.00 :|

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:24 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:53 pm
$2,799.00 :|
That's about 200 bucks less than I had thought the MSRP would be. I figured it'd be closer to 3K or more.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”