Firearms Chat: [REDACTED - for your safety]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by NT2C » Sat May 16, 2020 10:34 pm

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sun May 17, 2020 6:38 am

boskone wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:16 pm
Langenator wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:59 pm
boskone wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:12 pm
I was going to go to the range this weekend, but around Wednesday the chance of rain was 90% until early afternoon. My favorite range turns into a mud pit pretty easily, so that pretty much scrubbed range-time.

Instead, what it did was rain enough to make the range a mud pit, but not enough to really do anything useful. :|
Marksman, Gunsmoke, or CCC?

We got just over an inch at my house. But a whole lot less than the 2-4" the weather scaremongers at KBTX were worrying us about.
Gunsmoke. It seems to turn muddy if it's so much as misty. :roll: CCC is too much money (though I'd love to get some time on their longer ranges), and I just haven't gone out to Marksman yet.

We got a bit less an inch (south end of Navasota). I figured if they said 4 inches, we'd get two, but it wasn't even that much.
I live out east of Bryan, so Marksman is only 10 minutes for me. Gunsmoke is like 30, so the choice is easy. I've only shot at CCC for 3-gun. Nice facility, but as you say, pricey.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sun May 17, 2020 10:20 am

RickOShea wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:29 pm
Duty tax is another weird thing.... I ordered a bayonet lug and bayonet compatible mag tube extension for a Rem 870 from a Canadian store and wasn't charged a duty. Then another time, I ordered a lefthand bolt for my Tavor rifle from Canada, and had to pay a duty ($26 USD, IIRC). I guess "accessories" and "parts" fall into different categories as far as duty is concerned?
Duty is at the discretion of the border officer, in my experience, and they can see how much you've brought in recently.
I've brought back $700 (cad) worth of stuff and been taxed, I've had a $600(cad) Brownells order ship through unscathed, I've had a $40 part taxed.
I once brought home a $300 air rifle which was legally a firearm in Canada (>500fps at the muzzle), and was told to have a nice day after showing my receipt and license.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun May 17, 2020 10:26 am

NT2C wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:34 pm
You need to alternate one up/ one down and push harder. They will fit.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun May 17, 2020 10:42 am

I think he likes it....

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun May 17, 2020 12:57 pm

Langenator wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 6:38 am
boskone wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:16 pm
Langenator wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:59 pm
boskone wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:12 pm
I was going to go to the range this weekend, but around Wednesday the chance of rain was 90% until early afternoon. My favorite range turns into a mud pit pretty easily, so that pretty much scrubbed range-time.

Instead, what it did was rain enough to make the range a mud pit, but not enough to really do anything useful. :|
Marksman, Gunsmoke, or CCC?

We got just over an inch at my house. But a whole lot less than the 2-4" the weather scaremongers at KBTX were worrying us about.
Gunsmoke. It seems to turn muddy if it's so much as misty. :roll: CCC is too much money (though I'd love to get some time on their longer ranges), and I just haven't gone out to Marksman yet.

We got a bit less an inch (south end of Navasota). I figured if they said 4 inches, we'd get two, but it wasn't even that much.
I live out east of Bryan, so Marksman is only 10 minutes for me. Gunsmoke is like 30, so the choice is easy. I've only shot at CCC for 3-gun. Nice facility, but as you say, pricey.
Way back when I was still actually living in CS, I'd've probably gone to Markman as well. They're pretty much the same distance for me now, though.

I went out to CC for an Appleseed shoot, and that's about it. Back when it was only $300/yr I tried to inquire about membership, but never got a response. :p

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sun May 17, 2020 3:34 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 10:42 am
I think he likes it....

I want someone to make (or import) the Polish Beryl (arrow) version of the AK.

Actually, I'd pay extra for one with the max allowed number of parts made in Poland. Or here, by a Polish company. Because the Poles are awesome and screw the Russians.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun May 17, 2020 8:48 pm

Langenator wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:34 pm

Actually, I'd pay extra for one with the max allowed number of parts made in Poland. Or here, by a Polish company. Because the Poles are awesome and screw the Russians.
I sold it a few years ago, but at one point I had all the Polish parts (except for the folding front sight) needed to turn my 5.56 Radom Archer into this version of the Beryl....

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon May 18, 2020 12:06 am

RickOShea wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:48 pm
Langenator wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 3:34 pm

I sold it a few years ago, but at one point I had all the Polish parts (except for the folding front sight) needed to turn my 5.56 Radom Archer into this version of the Beryl....

Purdy :)

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 18, 2020 2:21 pm

Hmm, I broke the stock on one of my 870 Shotguns. Apparently it was in the safe crooked and got slammed off kilter. I guess 56 years is a good long service life.
You go over and under
I go through

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon May 18, 2020 3:29 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 2:21 pm
Hmm, I broke the stock on one of my 870 Shotguns. Apparently it was in the safe crooked and got slammed off kilter. I guess 56 years is a good long service life.
Ouch.

Time to upgrade the stock now ?

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Mon May 18, 2020 5:04 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:29 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Ouch.

Bummer.
Now you can justify that bigger safe.
BullOnParade

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 18, 2020 7:38 pm

BullOnParade wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:04 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
Ouch.

Bummer.
Yes to stock and no, I think I will take it to the next level. I installed some LED lighting in the gun room and when the lights came on I realized how crappy and messy everything was so I started cleaning everything up. Then it occured to me that rather than buying a new safe I could simply secure the gun room with some high security locks since it already has concrete walls on three sides. Just have to shore up the door wall with some heavy plywood and add a higher security steel door. It will be about the same price as a new safe but give me 250 sqft of storage instead of 3 sqft. Maybe need a dehumidifier too.

I can keep the safe for the safe queens.
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon May 18, 2020 8:52 pm

Just got the final payment on the small inheritance I got last year the one I bought a rifle and scope with.

Somebody talk me out of buying the integrated laser rangefinder for my digital scope. :crazy:

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Tue May 19, 2020 7:35 am

NT2C wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:52 pm
Just got the final payment on the small inheritance I got last year the one I bought a rifle and scope with.

Somebody talk me out of buying the integrated laser rangefinder for my digital scope. :crazy:
but it is so cool..... :clownshoes:

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue May 19, 2020 9:16 am

emclean wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:35 am
NT2C wrote:

Oh hell... Where's my credit card?

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue May 19, 2020 11:05 am

NT2C wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:16 am
emclean wrote:
NT2C wrote:

Curled up in a corner, crying?

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Tue May 19, 2020 11:14 am

Stercutus wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 7:38 pm
BullOnParade wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 5:04 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
Ouch.

Bummer.
Yes to stock and no, I think I will take it to the next level. I installed some LED lighting in the gun room and when the lights came on I realized how crappy and messy everything was so I started cleaning everything up. Then it occured to me that rather than buying a new safe I could simply secure the gun room with some high security locks since it already has concrete walls on three sides. Just have to shore up the door wall with some heavy plywood and add a higher security steel door. It will be about the same price as a new safe but give me 250 sqft of storage instead of 3 sqft. Maybe need a dehumidifier too.

I can keep the safe for the safe queens.
My wife has already been warned that I will mortgage the extra money to do this when we buy a house.
BullOnParade

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue May 19, 2020 12:17 pm

boskone wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:05 am
NT2C wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:16 am
emclean wrote:
NT2C wrote:

Curled up in a corner, crying?
Nah, it wouldn't be, unless it was thinking we didn't love it anymore because we haven't used it since my trip last year.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu May 21, 2020 5:48 pm

Spent a couple of hours today pricing hard cases for my BM59. The case it was shipped in is junk and falling apart so I'm looking to replace it. Right now I'm just looking at Pelican and Plano but not really happy with either of them. If the price is reasonable then the case is either that "Vault" crap or it's a size way too big. If the size is correct the price is over the moon. The best I've come up with are both from Plano, the 52" All Weather case for about $112 (too big a case for a 43" rifle IMHO) and the (lemme take a deep breath here because this is a mouthful) "Mil-Spec Field Locker Tactical Long Gun Case with Wheels - Single Gun Case" for about $199

What are some other brands I should take a look at? I'd like to get the price down to the $150 range for a good case.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu May 21, 2020 8:25 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:48 pm
Spent a couple of hours today pricing hard cases for my BM59. The case it was shipped in is junk and falling apart so I'm looking to replace it. Right now I'm just looking at Pelican and Plano but not really happy with either of them. If the price is reasonable then the case is either that "Vault" crap or it's a size way too big. If the size is correct the price is over the moon. The best I've come up with are both from Plano, the 52" All Weather case for about $112 (too big a case for a 43" rifle IMHO) and the (lemme take a deep breath here because this is a mouthful) "Mil-Spec Field Locker Tactical Long Gun Case with Wheels - Single Gun Case" for about $199

What are some other brands I should take a look at? I'd like to get the price down to the $150 range for a good case.
I've heard good things about the Pelican cases knockoffs Harbor Freight sells. I don't have one myself, though.

Pretty much all of my cases came to me secondhand via yard sales or incredibly lucky finds at thrift stores. Last case I picked up at one was a hard case for a Springfield Saint AR.

The other four hard cases I have are all Plano and the one soft case I have (the one I had my AK in when we went to the range when you visited my AO last year) is either a Drago or some other odd brand.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu May 21, 2020 8:43 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:25 pm
I've heard good things about the Pelican cases knockoffs Harbor Freight sells. I don't have one myself, though.
Can confirm, they are probably the same as pelicans or same factory. They work fantastic.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu May 21, 2020 10:17 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:43 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 8:25 pm
Can confirm, they are probably the same as pelicans or same factory. They work fantastic.
I have the large pistol case (I think I posted pics here somewhere a while back), and like it quite well.

If you use the pick'n'pluck, one trick I read that worked well for me is to spray it down with several coats of aerosol plastidip.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri May 22, 2020 8:24 am

I've had other people tell me about those Apache cases from HF, saying they're "just as good" as the Pelicans, but when I've looked at them in the stores they don't seem so great. Inevitably there will be one or two on the shelf with broken latches or hinges and that doesn't exactly inspire confidence in me. Then there's the online reviews, most of which seem favorable but a few of the more extreme tests have resulted in shattered Apache cases.

I'm not going to rule them out at this point. I want to take another look at them and see if they even have a size that will work for this and at a decent savings. I will note however that they seem almost identical to the Pelican "Vault" series that I have already ruled out. The search continues.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”