Firearms Chat: [REDACTED - for your safety]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by yossarian » Fri May 08, 2020 12:30 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:54 pm
I'm trying to be good and not buy a new gun this year or at least hold off until PSA releases their PS9 Glock clone.
So...you probably won't be buying a new gun this year.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri May 08, 2020 8:22 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Someone convince me I don't need a Smith and Wesson EZ 9mm or .380 pistol.

It would seem the universe, YouTube, the Outdoor Channel and the Shooting USA TV show on the channel are conspiring to convince me to purchase either one of those pistols.

First, Outdoor Channel shows a bunch of commercials about the 9mm EZ model, then Jim Scoutten on Shooting USA shows off the .380 and 9mm models (including the new Performance Center variants) and finally, a bunch of reviews of the pistols pop up in my recommended feed on YouTube. :lol:

I'm trying to be good and not buy a new gun this year or at least hold off until PSA releases their PS9 Glock clone.

EZ is for limp wristed manny peddy's you MAGGOT! Now drop and give me 50!

You don't need a S&W EZ

[/convince]
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri May 08, 2020 8:35 am

yossarian wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:30 am
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
So...you probably won't be buying a new gun this year.
Probably not.

PSA keeps teasing their Glock clone on Facebook, but they never give an actual timeframe for release.

ETA: After some long deliberations, I've decided to not buy one of those Smith and Wesson EZ 9mm or .380 pistols.

I did a lot of thinking and figured I've got enough guns for the moment and there's a bunch of other stuff I can spend my money on. Well, that and I've run out of room in my safe.

And, no, buying a bigger safe is not an option. Mostly due to limited space in my house. That and all the safes I like are way out of my price range.

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Fri May 08, 2020 2:56 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 4:31 pm
The custom PSA lowers aren't just a lasered logo, it's stamped into the lower same as the serial number, which is also custom, so you could get, for example, serial numbers starting with ZS. ZS0001, ZS0002, etc. You can also get custom text for the safety like on the Virginia model here: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-vir ... eiver.html

(I'm thinking a safety that says SAFE / DEAD / DEADER)
ZS has done a run of lowers at least twice. One came from Aero Precision if memory serves. I'd have to check the safe to verify. I was thinking we got like $40 people in a group buy and it worked out to $120 a lower? The other ZS marked group buy was laser etched and cheaper. It's been a few years and the details don't come to mind very fast. :-)

And don't buy an EZ S&W! Anything they advertise that much can't be selling itself. Wait until the distributors are sitting on pallets of them and CDNN lists them for $189.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri May 08, 2020 4:12 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:56 pm
NT2C wrote:
The custom PSA lowers aren't just a lasered logo, it's stamped into the lower same as the serial number, which is also custom, so you could get, for example, serial numbers starting with ZS. ZS0001, ZS0002, etc. You can also get custom text for the safety like on the Virginia model here: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-vir ... eiver.html

ZS has done a run of lowers at least twice. One came from Aero Precision if memory serves. I'd have to check the safe to verify. I was thinking we got like $40 people in a group buy and it worked out to $120 a lower? The other ZS marked group buy was laser etched and cheaper. It's been a few years and the details don't come to mind very fast. :-)

And don't buy an EZ S&W! Anything they advertise that much can't be selling itself. Wait until the distributors are sitting on pallets of them and CDNN lists them for $189.
I wasn’t in on the first one...heard it went poorly, but wasn’t around then. I did get in on the one in 2012 w/Quentin Defense...got the lower # I wanted, and an upper anodized to match. Wish I’d have bought more, but was still in the military trying to buy a house and get ready to retire.

Love it!

In its current 6.8SPC-II guise:

Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri May 08, 2020 4:27 pm

PistolPete wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:56 pm
NT2C wrote:

CDNN had them for about 389 ish (could've been lower than that) last I checked.

If they ever do get down to 189 bucks, I might definitely pick one up then. CDNN has been sitting on a bunch of Walther Creeds for about the last year or so and they were 249 bucks for the longest time.

Now they're 269 bucks for some reason. Not sure if it's due to their popularity or if Walther told them to raise the price.

And if I do pick up a new gun this year, I'm thinking a Ruger PC9 carbine will be it. I don't yet own a PCC, so that might be my next purchase.

Whenever the PSA Glock clone is released, I'll pick one up then, but I don't think it'll be available for awhile. PSA keeps mentioning them on Facebook, but they haven't said anything about a definite release date. They're supposed to make an announcement next week about it, though.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri May 08, 2020 4:35 pm

91Eunozs wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 4:12 pm
In its current 6.8SPC-II guise: Image
Nice! :D

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri May 08, 2020 8:11 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I got to shoot a .380 EZ a couple weeks ago. My nephew bought one for his fiancée, and they came out to my backyard range to break it in. It was a nice little gun....."little" being the operative word. It was noticeably smaller than I had pictured it. If you haven't yet, find one to finger bang and see how it fits in your Chimp-sized hands.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

PistolPete
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Fri May 08, 2020 8:42 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote: And if I do pick up a new gun this year, I'm thinking a Ruger PC9 carbine will be it. I don't yet own a PCC, so that might be my next
So I got a Ruger PCC maybe a year ago. It’s been dead reliable and pretty accurate for a PCC but I never really enjoyed it. It just seems so heavy for what it is. But one day I was playing musical optics and put a Strike Eagle 1-6 on it and for some reason I enjoy it way more now. It’s has a reason to be that heavy I guess. Now it makes sense in my mind. And for the first time ever I have a good use for a bullet drop compensator in a scope. The POI is like 8” lower for 147’s at 100 yards, so I can sight in for 115’s and use the second hash to get 147’s on.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri May 08, 2020 9:41 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:11 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I got to shoot a .380 EZ a couple weeks ago. My nephew bought one for his fiancée, and they came out to my backyard range to break it in. It was a nice little gun....."little" being the operative word. It was noticeably smaller than I had pictured it. If you haven't yet, find one to finger bang and see how it fits in your Chimp-sized hands.
There's a hardware store in my town that has both models in stock, so I may check them out when I get a chance.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat May 09, 2020 8:09 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 9:41 pm
RickOShea wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
There's a hardware store in my town that has both models in stock, so I may check them out when I get a chance.
All the hardware stores here stopped carrying guns a long time ago. I'd be interesting if Harbor Freight carried guns.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat May 09, 2020 8:29 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:09 am
I'd be interesting if Harbor Freight carried guns.
Oh gawd no... All they'd carry would be cheap Hi-Point knockoffs. :shock:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat May 09, 2020 9:22 am

NT2C wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 8:29 am
MPMalloy wrote:
I'd be interesting if Harbor Freight carried guns.
Oh gawd no... All they'd carry would be cheap Hi-Point knockoffs. :shock:
Interesting...not a 'good idea'.

Right there w/ya.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat May 09, 2020 10:36 am

MPMalloy wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
All the hardware stores here stopped carrying guns a long time ago. I'd be interesting if Harbor Freight carried guns.
There's at least four hardware stores in my AO that I know sell guns. I've bought guns from three of them and ammo from two of them.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat May 09, 2020 12:37 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
If you're kinda looking for a small pistol, I've been fond of my Ruger EC9s. If the easy racking is the attractive option, I can't offer a comparison there.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat May 09, 2020 5:02 pm

boskone wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:37 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
If you're kinda looking for a small pistol, I've been fond of my Ruger EC9s. If the easy racking is the attractive option, I can't offer a comparison there.
Initially, it was the easy racking that made it attractive, but I don't really need a gun that's super easy to rack. I'm still able to rack the slides on my handguns, but I was moreso thinking of my mother when I was looking at the Smith and Wesson EZ pistols.

Mom's got a little bit of arthritis in her hands, but not to the point where racking the slide on a handgun will trouble her. I figured if I purchased an EZ 9mm or .380, it'd be easier for her to use it instead of using my Glock 17.

Ultimately, it's up to my mother if she wants one and if she decides she wants or needs a handgun, I'll help her find one that she feels is right for her. I just figured the Smith and Wesson EZ would be an option.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sat May 09, 2020 5:09 pm

Anyone got ideas or thoughts on removing some rattle can from Magpul hardware? I bought a .22 AR15 forever ago, the previous owner put a craptastic rattle can camo job on it, and I hate it.

I swapped out the kgrip and Moe stock to match the miad and CTR off my center-fire AR, so I can play with them first. A few hours in the ultrasonic cleaner now and the paint is softer, but scraping it off is a slow go. I'm using a mix of about 2oz nail polish remover per quart of water.

I've tried selling the parts as is, but no one's interested. If I can get them clean for minimum effort, I'll try again. I have no interest in them, as I wanted the AR to match my center-fire as close as possible. There's also an Moe handguard I will need to clean, haven't bought a replacement for that yet, I may not, depending on how the next two years go.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat May 09, 2020 5:46 pm

BullOnParade wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:09 pm
Anyone got ideas or thoughts on removing some rattle can from Magpul hardware? I bought a .22 AR15 forever ago, the previous owner put a craptastic rattle can camo job on it, and I hate it.

I swapped out the kgrip and Moe stock to match the miad and CTR off my center-fire AR, so I can play with them first. A few hours in the ultrasonic cleaner now and the paint is softer, but scraping it off is a slow go. I'm using a mix of about 2oz nail polish remover per quart of water.

I've tried selling the parts as is, but no one's interested. If I can get them clean for minimum effort, I'll try again. I have no interest in them, as I wanted the AR to match my center-fire as close as possible. There's also an Moe handguard I will need to clean, haven't bought a replacement for that yet, I may not, depending on how the next two years go.
There's a product called "Citri-Strip" here in the US that's pretty good for stripping paint from stuff. Not sure how it reacts on plastic, though.

I'm also not sure if y'all have it up there in Canada or maybe there's an equivalent for sale in your AO.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sat May 09, 2020 7:32 pm

I'll take a look around for it. Maxing the temperature on the sonic cleaner made it scratch away. I upped the nail polish remover in the solution. After this cycle I'll try using a brush.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat May 09, 2020 7:32 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:46 pm
BullOnParade wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:09 pm

There's a product called "Citri-Strip" here in the US that's pretty good for stripping paint from stuff. Not sure how it reacts on plastic, though.

I'm also not sure if y'all have it up there in Canada or maybe there's an equivalent for sale in your AO.
If not Citri-Strip, might try "Goo Gone". It's another citrus-based cleaner.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat May 09, 2020 10:05 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 5:02 pm
boskone wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 12:37 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
RickOShea wrote:

Initially, it was the easy racking that made it attractive, but I don't really need a gun that's super easy to rack. I'm still able to rack the slides on my handguns, but I was moreso thinking of my mother when I was looking at the Smith and Wesson EZ pistols.

Mom's got a little bit of arthritis in her hands, but not to the point where racking the slide on a handgun will trouble her. I figured if I purchased an EZ 9mm or .380, it'd be easier for her to use it instead of using my Glock 17.

Ultimately, it's up to my mother if she wants one and if she decides she wants or needs a handgun, I'll help her find one that she feels is right for her. I just figured the Smith and Wesson EZ would be an option.
Did you get to shoot my Ruger LCP II while I was down there?

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat May 09, 2020 10:32 pm

Was that the little .380 with the little rubber grip thing ?

If so, then yes I got to shoot it. The first shot out of it, the snap of the recoil made me bang my trigger finger off the trigger guard. And that kind of stung, but once I changed my grip slightly, it didn't do that again.

I actually preferred firing your Shield .45 to that little .380, to be honest.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat May 09, 2020 11:41 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 10:32 pm
Was that the little .380 with the little rubber grip thing ?

If so, then yes I got to shoot it. The first shot out of it, the snap of the recoil made me bang my trigger finger off the trigger guard. And that kind of stung, but once I changed my grip slightly, it didn't do that again.

I actually preferred firing your Shield .45 to that little .380, to be honest.
Yeah, the LCP II did that to me at first too, then I realized it needed a much tighter grip to shoot properly. Once I started gripping it very hard it tamed up considerably. I regularly shoot it one-handed now at the range.

Anyway, I asked because that's the same kind of recoil you get with the S&W EZ in either caliber. A friend of mine has the .380 and we did a little comparison and discovered that it's really hard to tell which one you're shooting just from the recoil. Something to keep in mind before you spend money on one. That Shield .45 though, I love that gun. I've had two people who wanted to buy it from me, and one of them is the guy who has the EZ .380, the other was a guy at the range out in Idaho. It's just a comfortable gun to shoot.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun May 10, 2020 12:36 pm

I was concerned that firing your Shield .45 was going to be uncomfortable, but it was more comfortable than the .380.

The .380 made me decide that subcompact pistols were not for me for two reasons, one being size and the other being harsher recoil than similar sized pistols in larger calibers.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”