Firearms Chat: [REDACTED - for your safety]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

flybynight

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by flybynight » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:52 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:14 pm
I'm trying to be optimistic and hope things will quiet down within the next couple weeks, but the pessimistic side of me is preparing for a dry run for the ZPAW.

Minus the zombies and Mila Kunis riding shotgun in my armored Explorer, of course.
We'll if you're not going to utilize her services. Dibs on Mila for shot gun duty
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:06 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I'm trying to be optimistic and hope things will quiet down within the next couple weeks, but the pessimistic side of me is preparing for a dry run for the ZPAW.

Minus the zombies and Mila Kunis riding shotgun in my armored Explorer, of course.
Okay, but I call dibs on Betty White for my shotgun riding partner. COVID-19 probably cowers in fear of her power. :crazy:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:53 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:06 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Okay, but I call dibs on Betty White for my shotgun riding partner. COVID-19 probably cowers in fear of her power. :crazy:
I think Death stopped trying to take her a long time ago and now just shows up at her house for tea and cookies every year. He just wants to check up on her and make sure she's doing ok. :clap:

If we're talking theoretical ZPAW partners, I'm thinking either Katheryn Winnick from Vikings or maybe Emma Stone from Zombieland for me.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:51 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:53 pm
NT2C wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I think Death stopped trying to take her a long time ago and now just shows up at her house for tea and cookies every year. He just wants to check up on her and make sure she's doing ok. :clap:

If we're talking theoretical ZPAW partners, I'm thinking either Katheryn Winnick from Vikings or maybe Emma Stone from Zombieland for me.
I'll go for Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Rec)...she said once on one of the late night shows that she bought her bf helicopter flying lessons, so he could fly one in a SHTF scenario. When asked why she didn't get the lessons for herself, she said that's because she was in charge of guns and ammo. Aw yissssss.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:00 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:53 pm
NT2C wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

If I am ditching the wife and going with a fantasy partner she is going to have to have a similar skill set so she can sew me up after a mutant slashes me open with a rusty machete. Therefore I am going with Stacey Naito.

https://www.staceynaito.com/

WE SHALL LIVE FOREVER AND RULE THE ZPAW!
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:04 pm

Managed to get a little shooting in at the backyard range this afternoon. Mostly just confirming zero on a few boomsticks......just in case the boogaflu/flugaloo kicks off. :crazy:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:11 am

So, ammo prices are going through the roof again, and people are buying tons of guns (gotta love that those words rhyme in English :awesome: )

I've got plenty of guns, and a decent supply of ammo, especially if I reduce my range trips.

Time to buy bayonets!
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:08 am

Langenator wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:11 am
So, ammo prices are going through the roof again, and people are buying tons of guns (gotta love that those words rhyme in English :awesome: )

I've got plenty of guns, and a decent supply of ammo, especially if I reduce my range trips.

Time to buy bayonets!
Shit, I knew there was something I was forgetting. I'm all out of rifle grenades too.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:42 am

I'm hoping this current panic buying is just a blip and it doesn't run straight through until election panic buying sets in.

I mean, I've got plenty so I'm not going to be running out anytime soon, but I am a little worried that increased prices will stick around for a long time. I just noticed right before the panic buying kicked off how .22 LR had come down to reasonable prices.

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:16 am

That is not an unreasonable concern. I may work on stocking up on some of the less popular calibers in my arms room (6.5 Grendel, .40S&W) as long as prices on those stay non-silly.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

A.C.E.
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Resident Evil

Post by A.C.E. » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:24 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:29 pm
A.C.E. wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:19 am
Help me firearms chat, you're my only hope!

I ordered a new handgun, paperwork came through all in order (takes a few weeks here), thought I'd just drive up to the store after work and pick it up. Turns out they sold their last one a couple days ago and are out of stock...

Delivery times in Europe are currently not awesome, or even predictable :(

How do I deal with these feelings ZS? My Emotional Support Range Officer said its perfectly normal to feel insecure and that it happens to everyone.
Would any of the other Nordic countries be a better place. Providing one could travel, at this time, of course.

I myself am waiting to hear that inter-state travel is being restricted until further notice, or some such. Things seem to going in that direction.

I am *NOT* trying to stir the tin-foil pot.
Nah, borders are essentially closed. And even if they weren't, which nordic country you live in doesn't really matter much. Gun ownership is similarly (and strictly) regulated and there are checks in place to prevent using the few loopholes that exist.

So far, I feel that Sweden is handling the pandemic fairly well.

Recommendations are for everyone 70+ to avoid social interactions entirely.

For everyone to work from home if at all possible.

Avoid all unnecessary travel.

Stay at home if sick in any way. Gov will cover sick leave to help employers (normally first day is unpaid and then employer pays for the 14 first days).

All higher education (students 15years and older) have moved online.

Law are Beeing prepared to close schools. Mostly to do with paid parental leave if school is suspended and also to secure childcare for people in "positions critical to society". Last I heard the law has been fast tracked and will be in effect from tomorrow, Saturday. So far, authorities are not yet recommending closing schools though.

Toilet paper is still sold out, because people are idiots.
My FAK
Cold Weather
Propane Forge
ZS #0091

I'm Swedish, there is no known cure.
sealegs wrote:I make it my business to never be caught w. my pants down, and IF I am, then the size of my junk and the fortitude of my stones will give me the initiative by sheer intimidation alone. :lol:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:23 am

Langenator wrote:
Time to buy bayonets!
Bayonets: Image

Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:15 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:42 am
NT2C wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:31 am

I would suggest a movie marathon. Start with all the "Rambo" movies and finish up with "Predator" and "John Wick". Although they might be tempting, avoid TV shows and made for TV movies, particularly old "A Team" reruns, as nobody ever hits what they're shooting at and it might negatively affect your accuracy when your new gun arrives.
I think Tom Selleck on "Magnum P.I." actually managed to hit a few bad guys from time to time.

Not sure since the only episodes I remember watching had Mako Iwamatsu as a samurai and a bunch of knock off Girl Scout art thieves. I don't think anyone got shot in either of those episodes.

Beat up, yes. Shot, no.
LOL, i streamed the girl scout episodes a couple months ago, it was a two parter. Can't remember if there was gunplay though, binged a bunch of 'em details kinda blur out that way.
IIRC usually 80's Magnum would wing 'em, unless it was a flashback to Vietnam, 2019 Magnum is a death dealer with a heart fo sho. 80's Magnum would get beat up almost as much as he'd hand out beatin's.
What about Simon and Simon, the 'old' Hawaii 5 O, and Dragnet, they would just wing 'em too. Jack Lord was an awesome shot, bullseyes at 50yds with 1' snubnose, from the hip no less. Jack Webb just as good at winging bad guys so they can face justice.

If Jack Lord and Jack Webb got married and had a child, her name would be Debra 'Jackie' Winger.

ImageImage
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:22 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:42 am
I think Tom Selleck on "Magnum P.I." actually managed to hit a few bad guys from time to time.
You don't remember Magnum's most famous/infamous kill?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:32 am

I didn't see that one, but now I know what inspired the similar scene in that Archer "Rampage" episode.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:34 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:32 am
I didn't see that one, but now I know what inspired the similar scene in that Archer "Rampage" episode.
Yup...

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:11 pm

Two people at work just ran out and bought ammo at lunch.

First person is a half prepper, with a ton of food/water stocked but a lightweight on the security side. one handgun only in the house hold for two people, and two full mags [that's it].
Second person just has a few guns and a CCL. Is not prepared really, even though they overhear and discuss with #1 and I our food preps and hurricane preps.

They both felt the need for more ammo today so went to the LGS. Both are women.

I've been telling both of them to stock more ammo for a few years. Apparently they never felt the need to have more than a box to shoot at the range despite my advice.

Anyhow:

LGS only let X number of people in at a time, and there was a queue outside.

Fiocchi 762x39 FMJ ammo was $35 for 20 rnd box.
And some no name 9mm FMJ was $23 for a 50 rnd box but it looks brass with brass jacket. [gold colored]
American Eagle 223 FMJ was $11 for a 20 rnd box.

#2 bought some JHP SD ammo too.

The husband of #1 texted her a minute ago to let her know that he bought a Sig P365 micro subcompact today. and some more ammo. I don't know what he paid.

I never buy ammo by the box anymore but I do cost it by the round, and I'm pretty sure AK FMJ is overpriced at 1.75 per rnd even if it is Fiocchi. And I wouldn't pay .55 cents / rnd for AR 223 FMJ. 9mm FMJ @ .46 cents / rnd, nope.

I"m just worried about the toilet paper situation myself, I'm down to my last 64 rolls that I have to share with one female. :mrgreen:

And one of our full on anti gunners said yesterday to us 2A peeps, "you guys are lucky, you have guns for protection." :shock:
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:57 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:11 pm

And one of our full on anti gunners said yesterday to us 2A peeps, "you guys are lucky, you have guns for protection." :shock:
Did you let him/her know that can be fixed? Pretty quick? This is America, after all.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:40 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:23 am
Langenator wrote:
Time to buy bayonets!
Bayonets: Image

OK, tell me more about the baoynet lug on the second AR from the left. The one without the A frame front sight gas block. I need one like that for the upper build I'm working on.* Who makes it, what's it called where did you get it?

Right now I've got 3 Yugo Mauser bayos, and 1 each for an AK and an M16/M4 clone. Oh, and a wicked 17" long one for my Winchester M1917 rifle.

Need more M8s, and bayos for the M1A, Garand, and M1 carbines. The really hard to find (and expensive) ones are going to be for the Finn M39 and Swiss K31.

*Project is to put as many 'triggering' AWB-type features on a single rifle as I can.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:56 pm

Langenator wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:40 pm
OK, tell me more about the baoynet lug on the second AR from the left. The one without the A frame front sight gas block. I need one like that for the upper build I'm working on.* Who makes it, what's it called where did you get it?
That lug was cut off from the front half of an old clamp-on gas block....I think a Yankee Hill.

quazi

Post by quazi » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:43 am

Do you folks know if masking tape will corrode a blued firearm over time? I'm thinking of potentially having a "community" double barrel at my grandmother's house. We frequently have call to blast some animal there and there and bears frequently wander through. Most of my relatives have experience shooting firearms but it's a weird situation where a lot of guns get left there and people often don't know what's loaded in what. I figure if there was one shotgun with one barrel labeled "birdshot" and one barrel labeled "slug" that might help with the pest control problem.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:59 am

quazi wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:43 am
Do you folks know if masking tape will corrode a blued firearm over time? I'm thinking of potentially having a "community" double barrel at my grandmother's house. We frequently have call to blast some animal there and there and bears frequently wander through. Most of my relatives have experience shooting firearms but it's a weird situation where a lot of guns get left there and people often don't know what's loaded in what. I figure if there was one shotgun with one barrel labeled "birdshot" and one barrel labeled "slug" that might help with the pest control problem.
It will rust it faster. Masking tape is a paper or cloth base... That with its adhesive, it will hold moisture onto the bluing. May take a while, but will still do it, especially on the edges. Kinda like if you keep mud on a car, it will rust even if it's "dry" since it will cling and draw in moisture

Duct tape would be better. But it's adhesive will also hold some moisture. Or colored electrical tape so you can write on it.

I've never used it on bluing, but other metals... orange electrical tape is my favorite for labeling, especially steel ammo cans.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:03 am

quazi wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:43 am
Label maker. Just print out a single "S" and a "B" in the largest font. It's coated so it won't attract moisture, better adhesive, removable, and will last longer.

quazi

Post by quazi » Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:12 am

Hmmm, I don't own a label maker but I do have half a roll of labels around here somewhere.

I like the electrical tape idea. It probably wouldn't stick on that great but I imagine I'd be able to peel it off and clean it pretty easily. I've only got black electrical tape but my paint pen over top of it should work I would guess.

Are the cheap side-by-sides with hammers that Century imported a while back functional? I don't need a nice shotgun, but I would like something that was reasonably reliable.

Edit: I just re-read the part about labels being coated so they don't attract moisture. Maybe that would be the way to go over electrical tape. Although electrical tape doesn't seem like the kind of stuff that would absorb moisture (but I don't really know.)

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”