Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Stercutus

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:12 pm

I wish the CMP range in Talladega had memberships. I would pay $1K a year to join down there.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:44 pm

There's an outdoor range in Odessa that I know a few people go to, but I've never been there.

I think a yearly membership is around 150 bucks, but I'm not sure.

I just go to the private range on my cousin's land. It's free for me and all I have to do is let my cousin know when I'm planning on going there. I'm not quite sure just how far it goes out, though.

I don't own a rangefinder yet to check the max distance, but it's on my list.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:34 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:44 pm
There's an outdoor range in Odessa that I know a few people go to, but I've never been there.

I just go to the private range on my cousin's land. It's free for me and all I have to do is let my cousin know when I'm planning on going there. I'm not quite sure just how far it goes out, though.

Heck, now you got me thinking I might have to bring my 100 yard tape down with me when I visit your AO in a few days and spend a day expending some munitions with you. It'd be nice to stretch the legs on my rifles a bit and give my new scope a workout.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:27 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:10 pm
boskone wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:08 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:17 pm
I just assume... Texas... Deer lease... 500 yard range. That seemed to be the norm when I was there.
Well, sure...but I can deer hunt for free at my parents' place, it's just a bit too far to drive for a casual Saturday afternoon shoot. Might as well drop the $1k for the local tacticool club. :|
I think I paid $120 a year in Tyler but that was over a decade ago.
That's more in line with smaller ranges; CCC is a fairly extreme outlier.

There's just not much in the immediate area longer than 200yd, and I keep hoping someone finds a new place. :)

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:30 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Could rough it on Google Maps. Right-click one point, click Measure Distance, then left-click another.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:40 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I used my old laser rangefinder to mark off my backyard range. The measuring tool on Google Erf appears to be fairly accurate...

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:47 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:34 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Heck, now you got me thinking I might have to bring my 100 yard tape down with me when I visit your AO in a few days and spend a day expending some munitions with you. It'd be nice to stretch the legs on my rifles a bit and give my new scope a workout.
I've been meaning to do some function testing on some of my guns, so hitting the range with you would be fun, NT2C.

It's been a long time since I went to the range, so I might be a bit rusty. :oops:

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:51 am

boskone wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:27 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:10 pm
boskone wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:08 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:17 pm
I just assume... Texas... Deer lease... 500 yard range. That seemed to be the norm when I was there.
Well, sure...but I can deer hunt for free at my parents' place, it's just a bit too far to drive for a casual Saturday afternoon shoot. Might as well drop the $1k for the local tacticool club. :|
I think I paid $120 a year in Tyler but that was over a decade ago.
That's more in line with smaller ranges; CCC is a fairly extreme outlier.

There's just not much in the immediate area longer than 200yd, and I keep hoping someone finds a new place. :)
I haven't been to Arrowhead in years (the combination of the clientele and lack of oversight of the firing line was scary), and that was just for function testing of a shotgun. Do they go out to 200?

Marksman had a 100 yard range, but it's out of service due to their ongoing range rebuilding/restructuring. Right now they have a 25 yd pistol bay (it can also handle rifles for zero and such things), a 25 yd (max) steels bay, and a 2 station rifle bay that goes to maybe 40 yards or so.

Last I recall, Gunsmoke had 100 yards in their rifle bay.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:02 pm

California wildfire got Taran Tactical's shooting range, a couple of their ammo sheds, and part of the main building.

https://www.facebook.com/taran.butler/v ... 399523385/
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:29 pm

Langenator wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:51 am
I haven't been to Arrowhead in years (the combination of the clientele and lack of oversight of the firing line was scary), and that was just for function testing of a shotgun. Do they go out to 200?

Marksman had a 100 yard range, but it's out of service due to their ongoing range rebuilding/restructuring. Right now they have a 25 yd pistol bay (it can also handle rifles for zero and such things), a 25 yd (max) steels bay, and a 2 station rifle bay that goes to maybe 40 yards or so.

Last I recall, Gunsmoke had 100 yards in their rifle bay.
Not sure about Marksman, but Arrowhead and Gunsmoke both have 200yd ranges. Arrowhead's too scary, Gunsmoke's my usual place.

Since I live in Navasota, they're all about equally inconvenient. :) CCC would be awesome, 'cept the fee.

I joked about buying a stupid plot a few years back, because it was a 10 acre tract that had like 100ft of road facing. I can't think of a use for it other than a shooting range. :D

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:39 pm

You go over and under
I go through

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:36 pm

Anyone heard anything about the military surplus Romanian PSLs being recalled because of a third pin hole or what have you ?

A group I'm in on Facebook has a couple guys saying that the recent batch of them that Classic Firearms was selling are considered illegal for some reason. No one can provide any real info, so I'm calling BS, but Classic Firearms has now wiped their site of the ad for them.

Which now has me wondering just what the hell is going on ?

I wonder if this is like what happened with the first run of the IWI Galil Ace pistols.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:46 pm

Got out to the range with my 3 (current) favorite rifles, preparatory to possible deer hunting. They're all shooting between excellently and acceptably, with the M1 being the worst. I don't mind, since I really don't have much time behind the trigger with it. I do need to adjust the .243 up about an inch.

I'm still really digging the 6.5 Grendel, and looking forward to hunting with it. I love that round in an AR-15.

Academy's got the Axis IIs on sale for like $275 with a $75 MIR, which is really damned tempting in 6.5 Creedmoor. Can't decide if I want to go cheap and cheerful, or build out a 6.5 Creedmoor AR. Probably neither at the moment, unfortunately, since I have more responsible uses for the money. I mean, with the Garand, I technically have a long-range and heavy rifle. :roll:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:38 pm

I picked up one of the 6.5C Axis last year the OTD price was around $159 after hunting season. It is a cheap way to get in to the cartridge.
You go over and under
I go through

moab

Post by moab » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:46 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:36 pm
Anyone heard anything about the military surplus Romanian PSLs being recalled because of a third pin hole or what have you ?

A group I'm in on Facebook has a couple guys saying that the recent batch of them that Classic Firearms was selling are considered illegal for some reason. No one can provide any real info, so I'm calling BS, but Classic Firearms has now wiped their site of the ad for them.

I wonder if this is like what happened with the first run of the IWI Galil Ace pistols.
I haven't seen the PSL's in question. But the third axis pin hole is for making it automatic. Not as easy at it sounds. But still technically unlawful. Some other AK's came into the US back in the day with the hole riveted closed. Maadi and Chinese. And it was still considered illegal. And they had to be returned. Again, I have not seen the PSLs in question. Similar with kits. That's why they cut them the way they do. Although I have seen a few intact on milled Yugo's. I would be very surprised if anyone approved a PSL build with the third axis hole. But I guess it's possible. Even Classic should have noticed that right away and either sent them back or destroyed them.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

moab

Post by moab » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:49 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:38 pm
I picked up one of the 6.5C Axis last year the OTD price was around $159 after hunting season. It is a cheap way to get in to the cartridge.
I remember that. I so wish I'd had the extra $200 to throw at a 111 in .30-06. Or whatever ridiculously low price it was. I much preferred the older stock to the new ones too. They look like Star Wars stocks to me. lol. I found a 2018 model a while back that was going for around $300-$350(?). I'll pick one up eventually.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:50 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:46 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:36 pm

I haven't seen the PSL's in question. But the third axis pin hole is for making it automatic. Not as easy at it sounds. But still technically unlawful. Some other AK's came into the US back in the day with the hole riveted closed. Maadi and Chinese. And it was still considered illegal. And they had to be returned. Again, I have not seen the PSLs in question. Similar with kits. That's why they cut them the way they do. Although I have seen a few intact on milled Yugo's. I would be very surprised if anyone approved a PSL build with the third axis hole. But I guess it's possible. Even Classic should have noticed that right away and either sent them back or destroyed them.
I haven't seen them either, so I'm just going off info I got from guys in the group I'm in.

I'm sure Classic will fix whatever issue is happening, though. I guess if nothing else, the guys who ordered them will be getting a refund.

They'll probably be pissed, but it beats sitting in federal prison over a third pin hole that should've been taken care of prior to being imported.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:59 pm

moab wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:49 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:38 pm
I remember that. I so wish I'd had the extra $200 to throw at a 111 in .30-06. Or whatever ridiculously low price it was. I much preferred the older stock to the new ones too. They look like Star Wars stocks to me. lol. I found a 2018 model a while back that was going for around $300-$350(?). I'll pick one up eventually.
I don't mind the new stocks, they still shoot comfortably.

The only stock I've ever had which I actively dislike the looks of is my .223 Sportsman '78; it's bulky, grey, plasticky garbage. It also shoots stupidly well, and I'm afraid to fiddle with it. :|

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:23 pm

Gotta love a town with a shooting range called the Pistol Palace Brothel. :awesome:

Pistol Palace Brothel

1028 Main St, Lewiston, ID 83501
(208) 798-0909

https://g.co/kgs/BZJmF3
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:16 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:23 pm
Gotta love a town with a shooting range called the Pistol Palace Brothel. :awesome:

Pistol Palace Brothel

(208) 798-0909

Add BBQ, and they'd probably never need to close.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:34 pm

boskone wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:16 pm
NT2C wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:23 pm

Pistol Palace Brothel

(208) 798-0909

Add BBQ, and they'd probably never need to close.
Yup.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:54 pm

So I was cleaning my Tokarev today and I noticed something odd on the trigger.

Y'all know how the Feds require that goofy looking safety lever to be added on the Tokarevs, right ? Well, I noticed that whatever arsenal or whoever installs the safety lever also adds a little nub on top of the trigger to interact with the safety. It's basically a small bit of round stock that's inserted into a hole that's drilled into the top of the trigger.

Part of me is now thinking that if one wanted to, one could grind down that bit of round stock and not have to remove the entire import safety lever, which would then leave two big holes in the frame. Now the import safety would be nonfunctional, but act now as a sort of plug instead.

I'm not personally planning on messing with my Tokarev trigger, but this was just an observation I made. Everything I've seen regarding this is usually just folks removing the import safety altogether and no one mentions grinding down the nub on top of the trigger itself.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:05 pm

So, a while back, I got myself a PSA KS-47. For those not familiar with PSA's terminology, that's their 7.62x39 AR that uses AK mags. Why? Because why not?

So far, I've taken it to the range, and it's had some serious reliability issues.

First time, put 100 rounds through it. Toward the end, things jammed up, and I had to 'mortar' the gun to get the bolt unstuck. When the bolt went forward, the firing pin fell out of the magwell. I pulled the BCG, found the FPRP still in place. Put everything back together and wondered if PSA used the same assembly monkeys as Century.

Second trip, I had the firing pin pull the same trick 3 times in less than 30 rounds. Took it home, pulled the firing pin, then compared it to the FPs from a couple of my other ARs. Discovered that the flange on the FP that keeps the FP behind the FPRP was visibly narrower than on the other two pins (one a CMMG, the other another PSA)

Got a new firing pin (Fail Zero), went back to the range. This time I had 19 dud rounds out of maybe 95 rounds fired (or attempted to fire.) All Wolf ammo. All of the duds had visible dents in the primers. So right now I'm not sure if it's 1) Crappy Wolf quality control (all of the previous rounds fired through this gun were Wolf. I had 1 light strike/dud, figured it was par for the Wolf course.) 2) Dirty Wolf ammo gumming up the firing pin channel (yay direct impingement!) or 3) hard Wolf primers.

Could also be a combination of 2 and 3 I guess.

So I'm going to get some pipe cleaners and give the gun a thorough scrubbing. I've also got some Barnaul 7.62x39 I'm going to take. And I'm going to take an SKS and an AK and see if the dud/light strikes fire through them.

For my further info, does anyone have a primer hardness list/scale for 7.62x39, especially the East Bloc steel stuff? Which brands have softer primers, which ones harder?
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:29 pm

I just stumbled across a $400 BCG. :shock: The Surefire Enhanced BCG.

And I thought I splurged on a TiN BCG.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”