Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9131
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by RickOShea » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:31 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:08 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:11 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:01 pm
Can you run a mid-length upper on a lower with a carbine weight buffer ?
A carbine weight buffer shouldn't be a problem.
Neat.

I guess if I have to, I can always pick up a different weight buffer.
Usually you'd want to run the heaviest buffer that will still cycle reliably (and lock the BCG back on an empty mag) while shooting the weakest ammo you plan on using. Ideally, you want the brass to eject and land around the 3 to 4 o'clock position. If the brass is landing at 1 or 2 o'clock, you could try running a heavier H or H2 buffer.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6861
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:22 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:31 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:08 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:11 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:01 pm
Can you run a mid-length upper on a lower with a carbine weight buffer ?
A carbine weight buffer shouldn't be a problem.
Neat.

I guess if I have to, I can always pick up a different weight buffer.
Usually you'd want to run the heaviest buffer that will still cycle reliably (and lock the BCG back on an empty mag) while shooting the weakest ammo you plan on using. Ideally, you want the brass to eject and land around the 3 to 4 o'clock position. If the brass is landing at 1 or 2 o'clock, you could try running a heavier H or H2 buffer.
I think I've already got an H2 buffer in my AR, but I'm not sure. I'll check it to make sure.

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9131
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by RickOShea » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:29 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:22 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:31 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:08 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:11 pm


A carbine weight buffer shouldn't be a problem.
Neat.

I guess if I have to, I can always pick up a different weight buffer.
Usually you'd want to run the heaviest buffer that will still cycle reliably (and lock the BCG back on an empty mag) while shooting the weakest ammo you plan on using. Ideally, you want the brass to eject and land around the 3 to 4 o'clock position. If the brass is landing at 1 or 2 o'clock, you could try running a heavier H or H2 buffer.
I think I've already got an H2 buffer in my AR, but I'm not sure. I'll check it to make sure.
It's fairly easy to check. A carbine weight buffer should have no markings on it. The others should have "H", "H2", "H3" stamped on the front end.


Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

boskone
* * *
Posts: 799
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Aggieland-ish

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by boskone » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:28 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:29 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:22 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:31 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:08 pm


Neat.

I guess if I have to, I can always pick up a different weight buffer.
Usually you'd want to run the heaviest buffer that will still cycle reliably (and lock the BCG back on an empty mag) while shooting the weakest ammo you plan on using. Ideally, you want the brass to eject and land around the 3 to 4 o'clock position. If the brass is landing at 1 or 2 o'clock, you could try running a heavier H or H2 buffer.
I think I've already got an H2 buffer in my AR, but I'm not sure. I'll check it to make sure.
It's fairly easy to check. A carbine weight buffer should have no markings on it. The others should have "H", "H2", "H3" stamped on the front end.
Could use an adjustable weight, and just fiddle with the weights until it runs like you want it.

...in theory, I suppose. I've never actually used one, the weights in my ARs worked fine. (Probably not so much anymore, what with the corrosion from an unfortunate and extended immersion in the gulf.)

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6861
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:36 pm

Rick, I just checked my buffer weight and it's marked with an "H".

So I'm going to assume it's not a carbine weight buffer. Looks like I ought to be good to go with a mid-length upper.

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9131
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by RickOShea » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:01 am

boskone wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:28 pm
Could use an adjustable weight, and just fiddle with the weights until it runs like you want it.

...in theory, I suppose. I've never actually used one, the weights in my ARs worked fine. (Probably not so much anymore, what with the corrosion from an unfortunate and extended immersion in the gulf.)
Yeah, used to folks would get a carbine buffer (three steel weights) and an H3 buffer (three tungsten weights). When trying to figure out what their rifle liked, they could take them apart and mix-n-match the weights to make H and H2 weight buffers....Or, get an H and H2 buffer and have what you need for a carbine and H3 buffer. :crazy:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6861
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:50 pm

So, change of plans.

Instead of buying the upper for my AR, I'm going with picking up a Romanian TTC Tokarev pistol. I've been considering getting one for awhile and I figure for a little less than what I'd pay for the upper, I could get a full gun instead of half of one.

The upper will still be purchased, though, just at a later date.

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9131
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by RickOShea » Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:42 pm

:rofl:


Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2416
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:44 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:50 pm
So, change of plans.

Instead of buying the upper for my AR, I'm going with picking up a Romanian TTC Tokarev pistol. I've been considering getting one for awhile and I figure for a little less than what I'd pay for the upper, I could get a full gun instead of half of one.

The upper will still be purchased, though, just at a later date.
I was recently looking into those, I was on another forum, and I was recommended to get a Yugo over the Romanian.

Mostly preference, but both are about the same price so it's worth looking into
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Zed Hunter
* *
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:02 am

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by Zed Hunter » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:25 am

I have 2 Romanian TT 33s plus a 9x19 barrel. Very fun. But be prepared to go to the next county to retrieve the brass.

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7948
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:10 pm

Does anyone know of an android app that makes it easier to find information on commercial cartridges, such as velocity, BC, etc.? My scope has a great ballistics calculator built in and allows multiple rifle profiles so you can switch between rifles and/or ammo, but you need to have the full information for each cartridge load you're shooting in order for it to be accurate. Yes, I can look it all up online at home but that doesn't help me at the range or in the field when I'm changing ammo (say going from a 40gr HP to a 30gr Vmax) if the box doesn't lift the BC, and most don't. I'd like to be able to just get that info quick and easy from an app.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4567
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:25 pm

Back to the range today. This is the first time I got mediocre CS. The Tula still sticks, but not as bad. I'll try to go back tomorrow.

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3203
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by woodsghost » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:33 pm

FYI:

Learning and bragging time:

I got to do some shooting today and decided to bench rest an AK with a Red Dot optic and get some groups.

TLDR? Got some good groups & learned a lot about red dot brightness and stock length affecting accuracy. Gun/ammo are about 2MOA, and that is cool. B)

All shooting was bench rested and used Golden Tiger 7.62x39. Sight was a Sightmark Wolverine. Distance was 100 yards. All were 5 shot groups.

Group 1 was about 2 inches tall by 6 inches dispersed across.

Group 2 was about 2 inches tall by about 5 inches dispersed across.

At this point I was pretty irritated and figured the gun was probably accurate and the side-to-side dispersion was probably me. My friend suggested I change my trigger position and that the spread looked like bad trigger control. I played with this and decided the stock might work better if extended (Zhukov). I was having trouble seeing a red dot on a red/white paper target, and so had dialed the brightness up till the dot seemed strong enough. Well, I decided to dial it back down till I could barely see the dot and this allowed me to get a better picture of the target. It also brought the dot more into a 2MOA dot rather than a 4+ MOA dot.

Group 3 was pretty much 2x2, with 1 flier. (Opened to 3 inches)

Group 4 was 2x2 with 1 flier. (Opened to 3 inches)

So I have decided the gun is probably 2MOA accurate. The ammo is probably 2-3 MOA accurate. Red dots really need the right brightness setting to get good accuracy and without it, I'm at best about 6 MOA with that combo. But trigger position and stock length really matter. These things can get lost when shooting from fixed stock length and shooting fast and close. It is good to practice those more basic fundamentals from time to time.

And deer season is coming....
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

boskone
* * *
Posts: 799
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Aggieland-ish

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by boskone » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:38 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:33 pm
I was having trouble seeing a red dot on a red/white paper target, and so had dialed the brightness up till the dot seemed strong enough. Well, I decided to dial it back down till I could barely see the dot and this allowed me to get a better picture of the target. It also brought the dot more into a 2MOA dot rather than a 4+ MOA dot.
This is why I wish there were more hybrid/illuminated reticle optics, like the Leupold Prismatic. The only current-production I know of offhand are Primary Arms with their ACSS reticle; that's fine, I suppose, if I could be assed to learn how to use it.

I put a 1x4 with an illuminated dot in the middle of the crosshairs on my hunting AR.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6861
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:03 pm

So I'll be placing my order for a Romanian Tokarev in the coming week and now I'm already planning on getting rid of the goofy import safety.

My problem is deleting the safety will leave two holes in the frame, but I figure any competent gunsmith could fix that issue since I don't feel comfortable doing the work myself. Or I could get a set of replacement grips that cover up the safety hole and be done with it. (Which I'll probably do anyway until I can get the holes filled)

So I guess my big question is for y'all who have Romanian Tokarevs is how yall deal with the added safety. Did y'all get rid of it and how'd you fill the resulting holes in the frame ?

Or did y'all just leave them as is and deal with the safety possibly interfering with the trigger pull and other function ?

Also, anyone got a reliable source for Romanian Tokarev mags and grips ?

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7948
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by NT2C » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:41 am

I pick up my BM59 on Monday. It's chambered in 7.62x51 NATO and I'm debating with myself if it would be prudent to have the headspace checked on it before firing any .308 rounds through it, just to be sure it'd be safe.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2416
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:28 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:03 pm
So I'll be placing my order for a Romanian Tokarev in the coming week and now I'm already planning on getting rid of the goofy import safety.

My problem is deleting the safety will leave two holes in the frame, but I figure any competent gunsmith could fix that issue since I don't feel comfortable doing the work myself. Or I could get a set of replacement grips that cover up the safety hole and be done with it. (Which I'll probably do anyway until I can get the holes filled)

So I guess my big question is for y'all who have Romanian Tokarevs is how yall deal with the added safety. Did y'all get rid of it and how'd you fill the resulting holes in the frame ?

Or did y'all just leave them as is and deal with the safety possibly interfering with the trigger pull and other function ?

Also, anyone got a reliable source for Romanian Tokarev mags and grips ?
The safety of why people recommended the Yugoslavian, cuz they have a trigger dingus safety like Glocks. Just figured I'd throw that out there again.

I would check Sportsman's Guide for mags, though. They might have some
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6861
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:07 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:28 am
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:03 pm
So I'll be placing my order for a Romanian Tokarev in the coming week and now I'm already planning on getting rid of the goofy import safety.

My problem is deleting the safety will leave two holes in the frame, but I figure any competent gunsmith could fix that issue since I don't feel comfortable doing the work myself. Or I could get a set of replacement grips that cover up the safety hole and be done with it. (Which I'll probably do anyway until I can get the holes filled)

So I guess my big question is for y'all who have Romanian Tokarevs is how yall deal with the added safety. Did y'all get rid of it and how'd you fill the resulting holes in the frame ?

Or did y'all just leave them as is and deal with the safety possibly interfering with the trigger pull and other function ?

Also, anyone got a reliable source for Romanian Tokarev mags and grips ?
The safety of why people recommended the Yugoslavian, cuz they have a trigger dingus safety like Glocks. Just figured I'd throw that out there again.

I would check Sportsman's Guide for mags, though. They might have some
I'm actually considering picking up a Yugo Tokarev next year and replacing the Glock style trigger with an original factory trigger.

The only issue aside from that is the magazine disconnect tab and I've heard varying opinions on whether to keep or remove it.

Some folks say get rid of it and it'll smooth out the trigger pull.

But others say if you get rid of it, you run the risk of having your mags fall out since the magazine disconnect tab supposedly helps keep the mag in place.

With the Romanian Tokarev, all I have to worry about is removing the stupid import safety and having two extra holes in the frame. Which is not a big issue since it's mostly a cosmetic issue.

And thanks for suggesting Sportsmans Guide. It's been a long time since I checked them out.

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9131
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by RickOShea » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:09 pm

Ugh....Just noticed PSA has their chrome-lined premium Mid-gas Mock Dissy uppers back in-stock. I had one years ago, but sold it to a buddy who liked it even more than I did.

I'm tempted to pick-up another, just for shits-&-giggles. I always thought they looked pretty sharp with a MOE handguard....and I still have the M7 bayonet I shortened the handle on to fit a dissy. :crazy:




Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3203
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by woodsghost » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:28 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:09 pm
Ugh....Just noticed PSA has their chrome-lined premium Mid-gas Mock Dissy uppers back in-stock. I had one years ago, but sold it to a buddy who liked it even more than I did.

I'm tempted to pick-up another, just for shits-&-giggles. I always thought they looked pretty sharp with a MOE handguard....and I still have the M7 bayonet I shortened the handle on to fit a dissy. :crazy:




Image
That gun is lovely and I always enjoy spending other people's money.

Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!

If everything is chill in 2020, I'll buy an AR in 2021. Till then, practice with what I got.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9131
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by RickOShea » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:46 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:28 pm
That gun is lovely and I always enjoy spending other people's money.

Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!
LOL. Yeah, that's always amusing. :rofl:
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2955
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by flybynight » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:15 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:46 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:28 pm
That gun is lovely and I always enjoy spending other people's money.

Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!
LOL. Yeah, that's always amusing. :rofl:
Come on. Give the guy a break. His wife won't let him buy that gun .




:twisted:
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7948
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by NT2C » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:55 pm

Some things just look... right

Image

Very happy to give this guy a home. :awesome:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3203
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by woodsghost » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:55 pm

NT2C wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:55 pm
Some things just look... right

Image

Very happy to give this guy a home. :awesome:
That looks beautiful. Nice job. You will have to let us know how it shoots!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Post Reply

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”