Firearms Chat: [REDACTED - for your safety]

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Re: Firearms Chat: Yeet Cannon 2 Electric Boogaloo

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:32 pm

Langenator wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:58 am
Stercutus wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:19 am
There was a time in this country where shooting a fleeing burglar in the back was frowned upon but accepted. That time has passed.
May depend on local law. There are provisions in the Texas code where, if someone is fleeing with your property, you may use the level of force necessary to recover/prevent escape with your property.
yup.

TEXAS CODE wrote:
SUBCHAPTER D. PROTECTION OF PROPERTY

Sec. 9.41. PROTECTION OF ONE'S OWN PROPERTY.

(a) A person in lawful possession of land or tangible, movable property is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to prevent or terminate the other's trespass on the land or unlawful interference with the property.

(b) A person unlawfully dispossessed of land or tangible, movable property by another is justified in using force against the other when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to reenter the land or recover the property if the actor uses the force immediately or in fresh pursuit after the dispossession and:

(1) the actor reasonably believes the other had no claim of right when he dispossessed the actor; or

(2) the other accomplished the dispossession by using force, threat, or fraud against the actor.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.

Sec. 9.42. DEADLY FORCE TO PROTECT PROPERTY. A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Acts 1973, 63rd Leg., p. 883, ch. 399, Sec. 1, eff. Jan. 1, 1974. Amended by Acts 1993, 73rd Leg., ch. 900, Sec. 1.01, eff. Sept. 1, 1994.
In Texas you have to meet all factors of Defense of Property to be Justified. Calling a lawyer, going to bed, etc, are not legal factors, just media hype.

The facts reported so far are that the actor told the other not to move or he'd shoot, and then the other moved towards the actor with the pickaxe [weapon] when he fired the first shot. OF course initial reporting is often wrong, and if the first shot was the lethal one we won't hear another report about this, because if it is determined that the first shot was the lethal one, then he may well have straight up selfdefense case, so no need for defense of property in the eyes of this 'reasonable, 20/20 hindsight' citizen. If it is proven that the second shot was the lethal one, and proven that the 'other' had dropped his weapon and was fleeing without any of the actor's property, he may have a problem with justified defense of property in regard to the second shot.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

moab

Post by moab » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:38 pm

Is it just me or do we never hear about gun battles with a positive outcome? Everyday they publicize shootings that are negative. But never any shootings where the good guy comes out on top. I have theories. But I don't want to sound like a whack a do.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:57 pm

moab wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:38 pm
Is it just me or do we never hear about gun battles with a positive outcome? Everyday they publicize shootings that are negative. But never any shootings where the good guy comes out on top. I have theories. But I don't want to sound like a whack a do.
You need to visit the NRA website. They don't catch them all but they post what they find.

https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/armed-citizen/

Also This Ain't Hell does a daily thing. Read their "Feel Good Stories"

https://valorguardians.com/blog/

Also I will tell you that many more such incidents take place that never hit the media ever. :shock:
Seems impossible these days but is true.

A report may or may not be made (probably not if no one gets hit), when the report gets filed it may or may not be restricted, it may or may not be requested and read by a media organization, that may or may not report on it. If it ever gets reported on locally at all then it may never make it in to major media and never makes the big news.

Never buy in to the lie that if it isn't in the news or on the net it never happened.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

moab

Post by moab » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:05 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:57 pm
moab wrote:
You need to visit the NRA website. They don't catch them all but they post what they find.

Also I will tell you that many more such incidents take place that never hit the media ever. :shock:

A report may or may not be made (probably not if no one gets hit), when the report gets filed it may or may not be restricted, it may or may not be requested and read by a media organization, that may or may not report on it. If it ever gets reported on locally at all then it may never make it in to major media and never makes the big news.

Never buy in to the lie that if it isn't in the news or on the net it never happened.
Ya. I follow NRA on twitter. That's the only place I see good guys shooting videos. Literally the only place. We want to get all hot and heavy tracking shootings. Let's track good shootings too. See how those numbers add up.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:55 pm

If you want a daily track follow This Ain't Hell. They don't just do gun fights though. They cover any kind of self defense stuff.
You go over and under
I go through

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:30 am

Alabama Arsenal just posted about the new CZ Bren Gen2.

Me likey.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb1BjtwKQB0&t=306s
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:22 pm

2018 FBI Uniform Crime Report is out...instead of rifles, the gub'mint really needs to look into banning knives & hammers and fists & feet. :crazy:

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/20 ... able-8.xls
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:39 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:22 pm
2018 FBI Uniform Crime Report is out...instead of rifles, the gub'mint really needs to look into banning knives & hammers and fists & feet. :crazy:

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/20 ... able-8.xls
Rome wasn't built in a day. Give them time.
You go over and under
I go through

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:54 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:57 pm
moab wrote:

There's also https://www.reddit.com/r/dgu/.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:37 pm

The best argument for 10/22 trunk gun carry I have ever seen. Includes bonus footage of proper tactics for the 10/22. Sound quality is terrible. Not Safe For Anyone.

You go over and under
I go through

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:48 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:37 pm
The best argument for 10/22 trunk gun carry I have ever seen. Includes bonus footage of proper tactics for the 10/22. Sound quality is terrible. Not Safe For Anyone.

I was educated. :clap:
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:00 pm

I was educated. :clap:
Once you have seen the light you can never go back.
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:03 am

I have this strange urge to buy a mask. Just for the sheer awesomeness
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:10 pm

I thought I would never write or utter these words:

"I bought an 870."

Because I have a Mossberg 590, and the shell lifter on a 590 stays up. You have to fight the shell lifter on an 870 because it stays down....in the way while trying to insert new shells into the mag tube.

But it is a tactical model with extended mag tube, and ghost ring rear sight. The previous owner added Magpul furniture and a Surefire flashlight.

I should be able to wring the 870 out next week...kinda like I did in this video:

https://youtu.be/Okwche4O0fQ

Guns are icky!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:02 pm

chills1994 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:10 pm
I thought I would never write or utter these words:

"I bought an 870."

Because I have a Mossberg 590, and the shell lifter on a 590 stays up. You have to fight the shell lifter on an 870 because it stays down....in the way while trying to insert new shells into the mag tube.

But it is a tactical model with extended mag tube, and ghost ring rear sight. The previous owner added Magpul furniture and a Surefire flashlight.

I should be able to wring the 870 out next week...kinda like I did in this video:

https://youtu.be/Okwche4O0fQ
I've got an 870 Express that I need to get a gunsmith to finish out grinding off the little nubs in the magazine tube so I can install the mag extension I have for it.

I did my best grinding the nubs down myself, but I'd like to see if a gunsmith can finish it out better. I'm getting binding issues and I honestly can't feel anything in the tube that'd cause it. So hopefully a smith could tell me what my issue is.

I only get binding issues when the mag extension is on, but not when it's set up like it was from the factory.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:10 pm

Fudge all that noise. I used a drill press to get rid of the mag tube detents. :crazy:
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:19 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:10 pm
Fudge all that noise. I used a drill press to get rid of the mag tube detents. :crazy:
I lived in an apartment at the time, so I didn't have access to a drill press. I ended up using a Dremel and a couple files to knock out the nubs.

I might try a different follower in my tube to see if maybe it's the follower that's causing the binding issue.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:26 pm

Did your mag tube extension come with a longer spring?

When I bought a Nordic tube extension for my one 1100, it came with a longer spring.

I also bought Nordic's mag tube to barrel clamp(s) and picatinny rail sections.

EDIT: I did have the gunshop counter guy show me how many dummy rounds he could shove into the tube. They were 2.75" long shells.

Guns are icky!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:33 pm

chills1994 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:26 pm
Did your mag tube extension come with a longer spring?

When I bought a Nordic tube extension for my one 1100, it came with a longer spring.

I also bought Nordic's mag tube to barrel clamp(s) and picatinny rail sections.

EDIT: I did have the gunshop counter guy show me how many dummy rounds he could shove into the tube. They were 2.75" long shells.
Yeah, it came with a longer spring. I bought a different follower to replace the factory one as well and I'm thinking the new follower could be the cause of the binding.

Still, I'm going to have my gunsmith check it out and maybe get him to double check the tube to see if there's anything else that could cause a binding issue.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:39 pm

RickOShea wrote:Ruh-Roh…

Bodycam footage contradicts Sheriff's Office's initial account of how deputy shot homeowner

Body camera video footage of a deputy shooting and injuring a Simpsonville homeowner in June contradicts the agency's original account of the events leading up to the incident.

The video, captured by the Greenville County deputy involved in the June 14 shooting and released Monday morning, shows the deputy shot the man through the window of his house. Initially, the Sheriff's Office said the man was shot after he opened the door and pointed his gun at the deputy. In the video, the man never opened his door.

Update:

TTAG - No Charges For Deputy Who Shot Homeowner From Outside the Home

Back in July, I wrote about an incident in South Carolina where a deputy shot a homeowner from outside the man’s home. Now, local authorities have opted not to charge the deputy in the shooting....

The State Law Enforcement Division investigated the shooting and submitted findings to the state Attorney General’s Office, which recommended that no criminal charges be filed against Deputy Kevin Azzara....

The homeowner will pursue his civil claim for damages in court. Meanwhile the rest of us should take away a valuable lesson....I know a lot of gun owners and pretty much without exception, if you show up un-announced late at night, the person answering the door (not necessarily opening the door, but merely answering it) will have tooled up before doing so.

As such, we all risk being shot if seen through windows while holding a gun. So the moral of the story: Don’t allow visitors a clear line of sight into your home from the exterior.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:58 pm

TFB - CROM USA’s ZhuCROM – A Zhukov Handguard For Ruger PC Carbine

If you recall, CROM USA made a chassis for the Ruger PC Carbine that allows you to use a Magpul Mossberg SGA stock. Well they have taken another Magpul product and modified it for use on the Ruger PC Carbine. The ZhuCROM is a modified Zhukov AK handguard and it will be available soon.

I like the Zhukov handguard on my AK and it was a huge improvement for the Beretta 1301. If you do not want an aluminum handguard then this seems like a good upgrade. You can attach any MLOK accessory you want. A simple light and maybe a laser on the other side would be perfect. You can even attach handstops or a vertical grip to the bottom if you so desired.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:27 pm

Update:

TTAG - No Charges For Deputy Who Shot Homeowner From Outside the Home
I get that the alarm company sent him to the wrong house but I still wonder about charging him. His interpretation of events:

- Go to panic alarm call
- Find man pointing gun at him from panic alarm call address
- Respond to threat

Seems reasonable on the face of it, but hasty. It is not unexpected at all to find an armed homeowner during an alarm call. It took much less time to get out of the area of the perceived threat than it did to actively engage and respond to it. When in such situations these days I tend to err on the side of not shooting people. I imagine the county will lose in civil court, or at the very least the alarm company will lose under the "but for" rule.

For those inside the house I have said it before and I will say it again: Cameras. Invaluable little things that could have avoided exposing the homeowner to risk and avoided the whole thing.
You go over and under
I go through

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:49 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:58 pm
TFB - CROM USA’s ZhuCROM – A Zhukov Handguard For Ruger PC Carbine

If you recall, CROM USA made a chassis for the Ruger PC Carbine that allows you to use a Magpul Mossberg SGA stock. Well they have taken another Magpul product and modified it for use on the Ruger PC Carbine. The ZhuCROM is a modified Zhukov AK handguard and it will be available soon.

I like the Zhukov handguard on my AK and it was a huge improvement for the Beretta 1301. If you do not want an aluminum handguard then this seems like a good upgrade. You can attach any MLOK accessory you want. A simple light and maybe a laser on the other side would be perfect. You can even attach handstops or a vertical grip to the bottom if you so desired.
That's maybe functional (I just don't know, haven't use any of the items on that carbine), but...damn, that's ugly.

I wonder if Magpul has any intention to make a Backpacker stock for the PCC? That'd be neat.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:42 pm

boskone wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:49 pm
That's maybe functional (I just don't know, haven't use any of the items on that carbine), but...damn, that's ugly.
I tried a Zhukov on one of my AK's. I liked the idea of a longer handguard, but ended-up not liking the extra weight. It has a full length aluminum block that attaches to the barrel, and the polymer handguard is just a shell that slides over it. It added more than a pound of weight out on the front half....

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”