Have you had to draw your concealed carry, and why?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Mechphisto

Have you had to draw your concealed carry, and why?

Post by Mechphisto » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:37 pm

So here's a question pointed to people who do not have inherently dangerous jobs or avocations (no cops, bouncers, or drug dealers), and who don't tend to go looking for trouble (the thought of getting drunk and starting fights does not appeal to you)...
If you conceal carry, have you had to draw and if so, why?

I have spent most of my 40+ years in small "safe" towns, and in all that time only one been in a situation where I felt I would have been safer had I been carrying. But now I live in a rather high-crime city, and I'm applying for a concealed carry license this week.
I'm not necessarily afraid that once I have a "hammer" with me at all times, everything's going to start looking like "nails," but I would like to have a bit of a reality check with other "perfectly ordinary everyday people" who conceal carry.

Thanks for any feedback!

Stercutus

Re: Have you had to draw your concealed carry, and why?

Post by Stercutus » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:33 pm

When you say "had to" can you nail that down a bit? That could be a matter of perception.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Mechphisto

Post by Mechphisto » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:23 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:33 pm
When you say "had to" can you nail that down a bit? That could be a matter of perception.
Er, as in, have removed the firearm from the holster due to a perceived threat. Not sure what other meaning could be inferred from the question context :)

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:02 pm

Mechphisto wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:23 pm
Stercutus wrote:
Er, as in, have removed the firearm from the holster due to a perceived threat. Not sure what other meaning could be inferred from the question context :)
There are lots of ways of dealing with threats.

If a firearm was my only option I either failed somewhere or got caught unawares in an unexpected event, although if it were something that should have been foreseen that is also a failure.
You go over and under
I go through

Mechphisto

Post by Mechphisto » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:08 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:02 pm
Mechphisto wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:23 pm
Stercutus wrote:
There are lots of ways of dealing with threats.

If a firearm was my only option I either failed somewhere or got caught unawares in an unexpected event, although if it were something that should have been foreseen that is also a failure.
*sigh* This is why I didn't ask the question: "Have you ever thought about drawing your CCW but didn't because you realized it wasn't necessary." Nor did I ask, "I want to draw my CCW all the time, convince me not to."
I am literally asking for feedback for when people HAVE drawn and WHY they did. Ergo, I am presuming the person who HAS drawn DID feel it was their only option. It's implied in the very question. *headdesk*

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:47 pm

Sorry, I was trying to head off the poop slinging fight at that pass.

The answer to your question is twice that I can recall. One incident occurred about 25 years ago. In the day before cell phones people sometimes used public phones to make calls. I was making such a call at a gas station in not such a great area (it was an emergency and I was checking on my sister) when a man came up behind me and hung the phone up. He told me to get off the fucking phone because he had to order a fucking pizza.

It's rare that people are so brazen and aggressive with me (especially back then) I guess he felt that because he had three friends there with him in his car that he would be okay. He was pretty high, one of the first clues was that there was a phone right next to the one I was talking on. He had it in his mind that it was broken. Since I always go non-confrontational when I can I went ahead and got on the other phone and called my sister back while carefully looking around.

Dude actually got on the other phone and started ordering a pizza. Anyway at some point I had to write something down and I returned to my car to get a pen and paper. His friends saw me going through the glove box and I think they assumed I was retrieving a weapon and I see movement in the other car. Pizza dude returns to his car and when he does so I see in to the car that one of passengers has a pistol out. Since it was show and tell I pulled mine out as well, go to low ready and get behind the engine block of my car.

At this point they decide it is time to leave and they leave. So yeah, I almost got in a gun fight because some thug wanted to order a pizza.

The End

The other time was when I was driving through Houston and several homeless looking people came up on my vehicle at once at about 1am at a stop light. At this time car jackings were prevalent and I figured I was about to GTA'd. I pulled my pistol out and kept it low. One of the guys looked in the car and saw me holding the gun. At this point they suddenly acted like I had cooties and they all did a rapid back pedal.

Light changed, traffic moved and I was gone.
You go over and under
I go through

Mechphisto

Post by Mechphisto » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:18 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:47 pm
Sorry, I was trying to head off the poop slinging fight at that pass.
Ah, sorry to be snide, I guess I'm unfamiliar with what kind of slinging this question could evoke.
Thanks for the replies!

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:52 pm

Someone else's story, but I was told of an romantic rendevous with someone met over the internet and it turned out to be an assault and robbery. Or attempted. A weapon presented led to an end to the romantic entanglement.

I have given someone on the side of the road a ride with a pistol under my leg and one hand on the steering wheel. I don't remember announcing I was armed either. Anyway, the dude was cool and I dropped him off.

It's in my signature below, but I avoid people who are trouble and I make sure to be home at a very decent hour. And I don't talk about having cash, valuables, or guns (not just cuz of opsec, but I don't actually have a lot of those anyway). Except at church....I talk about guns at church. We have a whole big group of us who shoot together every month. So I mostly avoid bad situations by avoiding where trouble people hang out and avoid being around when they are most likely to be active. And I don't make a habit of picking people up on the side of the road. I promise.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:09 pm

Twice, the first was traveling through ft worth returning from cooks children's hospital. Stuck in traffic, single cab bench seat truck, kid in rear facing seat center of bench.
Homeless guy jumps in the passenger seat holding a kitchen knife(yes, I probably should have had doors locked, it was an old truck with rather poor A\C {none} and manual windows, so I had to roll the passenger window down then come around to the driver side).
He threw a backpack in the floorboard and pointed his knife at me and said we are going to rillas (no clue who\what that is) I drew and said get out - we were rolling slowly, he got out. I took the next exit and stopped in the first open parking lot and called PD. His bag was still in the floor, officers went through it and found several wallets, credit cards etc from different people and a decent amount of crack. He had dropped the knife in my son's lap in the car seat, a steak knife from outback. Cops took a report, and we had a rather uncomfortable 3 hr drive with only one window down.

The second time went differently. It doesn't matter right or wrong - some decisions are permanent.

Regardless, if you carry - then you had better accept the fact that you may have to use it. If you don't believe you can, then don't.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:14 pm

Only time I've ever come close (sorta kinda half-drawn) was meeting a small bear in a dark neighborhood street while on an evening walk in the foothills of my town. The bear was running away from us but our car was parked in the direction the bear was running so I wanted to be cautious. I didn't feel threatened and was making noise, but it was dark enough I didn't have anything to lose by being at the low ready rather then fully concealed. The next night I carried bear spray on our evening walk as well.

Like woodsghost there are perhaps a few times I've made a gun more available then it needed to be but never for any reason other then an abundance of caution, I've been blessed to live in quiet and friendly parts of the world overall.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:35 pm

Twice, both back when I was young and stupid, neither of which I can talk about here because both times I was carrying illegally (damn near impossible to get a carry permit in NYC, then or now) and we have strict rules here about discussing illegal activities.

(I had written out both incidents and was getting ready to submit when I remembered that and erased them. Even mods can be forgetful and break the rules sometimes.)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:09 am

Only had to pull it once, but made it obvious a few times. I used to do some work as a contractor, and sometimes we would take jobs in the "Not so great" side of town. One of us was ALWAYS carrying. Usually me. I haven't ever had to pull it out, but I've had to tuck my shirt in behind it and make it fully visable as some folks would get a little to interested in our tools on job sites. They seemed to lose interest when they realized we were aware of them and were armed.
The only time I pulled was in the good section of town, we walked out the door to a house we were working in to a dude poking at our tools. I hollered, "brandished" it (pointing at the ground), and he took off like a cat on fire. Hopped in his truck and laid rubber on the way out. Called the cops, gave description, told them I brandished, and got a "ok, have a great day" .
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:05 pm

Six times. Twice where brandishing stopped the threat. Once when something went down and me and another guy both drew and waited for what next. ( Nothing, it was over before the echo's stopped ). Once when I meant to shoot , but couldn't and ended up using a pistol shaped club.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:15 pm

Never had to, thank goodness.

There were times I've reached for them or kept a handgun close by inside the home (I lived in various rentals, so apartment complexes and shady neighborhoods). Basically people kicking my for cuz they were drunk and confused, domestic disputes down the hall, fights in the parking lot, etc. Never had to brandish it, or anything.

So that's the extent of my "firearm self defense"... And I hope it stays that way
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:01 pm

The only time I've had to even unholster my carry piece outside of practice is to put down a moose that I hit on the highway. Hopefully I never need it for even that again.

moab

Post by moab » Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:20 pm

Twice. Once was a friend of a friend entering my house unannounced. The second was a perceived break in. Just drew my pistol. Never confronted anyone.
Last edited by moab on Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:02 pm

Well, if we are talking about house/appt experiences too.....

I came home from Christmas one year and the door of my apartment was ajar. I drew my CCW, grabbed my light, and cleared the place. Later I decided that was dumb and resolved to call the cops next time.

About a year later, as I'm coming home from Christmas visiting, I see my apartment door is ajar. Having Dejavu I called the cops and said "I got back from a trip. My apartment door is open. I'd love to have an officer take a look." 2 officers showed up and went through. Nobody in the apartment.

I later found out that bug sprayers were going through and didn't know the door was odd and needed special attention to make sure it latched. After some discussion with the apartment manager, the door was fixed.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:04 pm

My wife just reminded me of one incident that happened a year or two back.

We have two driveways on one end of our property, a paved one that comes up to the two-car garage that's attached to the house, and a gravel one that branches off of that and leads off to my shed (which the previous owner/renter used as a garage for his dirt track car) and then back down to the street. The section between the two driveways is long enough to park a couple of vehicles and a trailer and that's often what we use it for.

One day I had just walked out of the garage and was getting into our old Dodge pickup when a dirty white work van pulls up by our mailbox and then slowly pulls forward and blocks off that driveway and the passenger gets out and started walking fast up the driveway towards the garage. Just that there was enough to get the guard hairs up as now I can't use either driveway (my big white truck was parked ahead of me) but I still had a way out through my yard and down the neighbor's driveway. The guy coming up the driveway was looking all around the area as if looking for who might be watching but seemed to not see me by the pickup until I yelled out to him that he was on private property (and pointed out the sign on the house) and told him to leave. At that point, he changed directions and started coming towards me saying something like, "Umm, ah, I just wanna ask you a question..." and his buddy starts to get out of the van, still leaving it running blocking my drive. As he's saying this the guy keeps looking around him and back over his shoulder at the house and now all the alarm bells in my head are going off. I then put my hand up and told him to stop and that he was on private property and needed to leave. He again ignored me and now his friend is halfway up the drive and I'm pretty sure this is turning into a home invasion/robbery scenario so I dropped my cane and pulled my shirt clear of my sidearm with my left hand and yelled at both of them that this was their third and final warning, they were trespassing on private property and needed to leave, NOW. At that point, the driver ran for the vehicle and the guy from the passenger side who was now about 20' away turns and starts walking away, yelling back at me, "Man, you crazy! Crazy!" before getting in the van and the driver taking off. Never saw them again after that. Could I have misinterpreted a simple "stop and ask for directions"? Yes, that could have been what it was, or it could have been something else. Regardless, the situation made me uncomfortable and the guys disregarded two very clear verbal instruction and a private property sign and continued to advance on me. Had they not stopped I probably would have drawn and where the situation went from there is an unknown I don't want to ponder. I hate being disabled and unable to quickly retreat or seek cover in such a situation. Had I been younger and fitter I would have been sprinting around the truck and put an engine block between us while I tried to find out what was going on. I'm still not sure I handled this correctly.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:32 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:04 pm

We have two driveways on one end of our property, a paved one that comes up to the two-car garage that's attached to the house, and a gravel one that branches off of that and leads off to my shed (which the previous owner/renter used as a garage for his dirt track car) and then back down to the street. The section between the two driveways is long enough to park a couple of vehicles and a trailer and that's often what we use it for.

One day I had just walked out of the garage and was getting into our old Dodge pickup when a dirty white work van pulls up by our mailbox and then slowly pulls forward and blocks off that driveway and the passenger gets out and started walking fast up the driveway towards the garage. Just that there was enough to get the guard hairs up as now I can't use either driveway (my big white truck was parked ahead of me) but I still had a way out through my yard and down the neighbor's driveway. The guy coming up the driveway was looking all around the area as if looking for who might be watching but seemed to not see me by the pickup until I yelled out to him that he was on private property (and pointed out the sign on the house) and told him to leave. At that point, he changed directions and started coming towards me saying something like, "Umm, ah, I just wanna ask you a question..." and his buddy starts to get out of the van, still leaving it running blocking my drive. As he's saying this the guy keeps looking around him and back over his shoulder at the house and now all the alarm bells in my head are going off. I then put my hand up and told him to stop and that he was on private property and needed to leave. He again ignored me and now his friend is halfway up the drive and I'm pretty sure this is turning into a home invasion/robbery scenario so I dropped my cane and pulled my shirt clear of my sidearm with my left hand and yelled at both of them that this was their third and final warning, they were trespassing on private property and needed to leave, NOW. At that point, the driver ran for the vehicle and the guy from the passenger side who was now about 20' away turns and starts walking away, yelling back at me, "Man, you crazy! Crazy!" before getting in the van and the driver taking off. Never saw them again after that. Could I have misinterpreted a simple "stop and ask for directions"? Yes, that could have been what it was, or it could have been something else. Regardless, the situation made me uncomfortable and the guys disregarded two very clear verbal instruction and a private property sign and continued to advance on me. Had they not stopped I probably would have drawn and where the situation went from there is an unknown I don't want to ponder. I hate being disabled and unable to quickly retreat or seek cover in such a situation. Had I been younger and fitter I would have been sprinting around the truck and put an engine block between us while I tried to find out what was going on. I'm still not sure I handled this correctly.
It sounds to me...you made a defensive display vs brandishing, after a verbal warning. You were on your property...You didn't draw...

I'd say you were within your rights & restrained. i.e. - you didn't just start blastin'.

Good job.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:06 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:32 pm
NT2C wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:04 pm

It sounds to me...you made a defensive display vs brandishing, after a verbal warning. You were on your property...You didn't draw...

I'd say you were within your rights & restrained. i.e. - you didn't just start blastin'.

Good job.

You can see the driveways here. My white truck was exactly where it is in the picture. I can't remember for sure now if I was getting into the red Jeep (as pictured) or our blue Dodge. Guys from the van are in yellow, the driver is the one close to the van, the passenger is the one that kept approaching and is near the red star, which is me.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:17 pm

Ok. NT, I hear ya about getting older. I do.

williaty

Post by williaty » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:47 pm

Yes, twice.

1) Middle of the night I went out to check to see if the barn was locked. A wolf and I tried to round the same corner from different directions. He lunged at me, I shot at him. In retrospect, I've always wondered why he made an issue of it rather than running off. I wonder if he thought I was pushing him off a kill or something.

2) As I was exiting a convenience store, the occupants of the car at the drive-through window began to take umbrage at something the staffer inside did. Yells began. Seconds later, one of the back seat passengers pulled out a pistol, which caused the other 3 in the car to do the same. Being unsure I was about to be threatened just by proximity, I drew to low ready, while backing up, waiting to see if I could stay the hell out of it or was going to get drug in unwillingly. About that time, said staffer comes head first out the window swinging a scimitar of the crappy chrome variety of blade you find for $5 at the low-rent government surplus stores. The driver of the car was as baffled by this action as I was and he decided to nope the fuck out of there. As the car squealed tires across the forecourt and onto the road, the county Sheriff's deputy who was filling his cruiser at a pump finally turned to look at the noise with a "can't yall just give me at least a minute of peace?" look on his face. To this day I don't know what the fuck really happened there.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:30 am

williaty wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:47 pm
Seconds later, one of the back seat passengers pulled out a pistol, which caused the other 3 in the car to do the same.

[...]
About that time, said staffer comes head first out the window swinging a scimitar of the crappy chrome variety of blade you find for $5 at the low-rent government surplus stores. The driver of the car was as baffled by this action as I was and he decided to nope the fuck out of there.

That should not have worked.

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

williaty

Post by williaty » Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:54 am

MacWa77ace wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:30 am
That should not have worked.

Yeah, I really think the clerk's behavior was just so weird that the driver's brain said "Nope. I am not dealing with that. That is not part of the script." and took off.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”