CCW While Hiking

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

CCW While Hiking

Post by 74 or more » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:34 am

Not sure if this is is the best place for this so please move if not. I've also seen a few threads a while back on here about this topic but i can remember what the rule are for reviving dead threads. So apologies all around.

I've been exploring different ways to carry concealed while hiking. Been thinking about this more and more now that I have kids. The 3 options i'm considering are the Hillpeople Recon bag (probably the most obvious choice), a fanny pack of some kind, or putting a Kifaru EDC Omni belt and Tombstone pocket on my Antero.

For some reason the fanny pack keeps peaking my interest. I think it's because it also makes a good option to keep in my car to go with my GHB. I like the idea that if i had to walk home i could just tuck this up under my pack and it becomes a comfortable way to carry and have easy access.

Thoughts anyone?
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: CCW While Hiking

Post by NT2C » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:51 am

Topic moved to Firearms area
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:54 am

In the ninety's the fanny pack was my preferred method of carry. I carried firearm, extra ammo, and work and personal related stuff in it. The trouble is the fanny pack is a ninety's thing . The best it can do nowadays is cover the gun from casual sight. Most people will associate it as a gun holster. At least I know I do.

ETA Have you considered a sling pack?

https://www.amazon.com/G4Free-Tactical- ... 155&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/ProCase-Tactical ... NrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Tactical-S ... ods&sr=1-9
Last edited by flybynight on Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:02 pm

Nothing says "I'm carrying a gun" quite like a fanny pack. If you want to send that message then go that route.

When camping, hiking and working outside the most comfortable, easiest option for me is open carry. This is not always possible.

The next best option for me is an IWB tuck with a large (and real, not a fake one) riggers belt securing the holster. This also requires a high quality holster. I prefer a leather one but this requires a T-shirt and outer shirt which is not as good when it starts to get hot.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:55 am

I think the fanny pack = gun is a lot more prevalent with gun people. I know several people who ware a fanny pack, and I know they are not armed.
YMMV, maybe my extended family is just weird

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:27 am

Stercutus wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:02 pm
Nothing says "I'm carrying a gun" quite like a fanny pack. If you want to send that message then go that route.

When camping, hiking and working outside the most comfortable, easiest option for me is open carry. This is not always possible.

The next best option for me is an IWB tuck with a large (and real, not a fake one) riggers belt securing the holster. This also requires a high quality holster. I prefer a leather one but this requires a T-shirt and outer shirt which is not as good when it starts to get hot.
Really? I've never thought that in my life. Nor have I ever heard anyone say thats what a fanny pack says to them. I usually carry IWB for small hikes but for longer day trips, that not going to work. Open carry is definitely the answer to my problem but i'm not trying to go down that road.
Montani Semper Liberi

My EDC/GHB

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:31 am

flybynight wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:54 am
In the ninety's the fanny pack was my preferred method of carry. I carried firearm, extra ammo, and work and personal related stuff in it. The trouble is the fanny pack is a ninety's thing . The best it can do nowadays is cover the gun from casual sight. Most people will associate it as a gun holster. At least I know I do.

I have a Maxpedition Noatak that i use as a gym bag. It would be fine on short easy hikes but for longer day trips i'd really rather have a normal backpack. I really can't believe a fanny pack screams "gun" that much. I must be living under a rock.
Montani Semper Liberi

My EDC/GHB

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:51 am

74 or more wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:31 am
flybynight wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:54 am

I have a Maxpedition Noatak that i use as a gym bag. It would be fine on short easy hikes but for longer day trips i'd really rather have a normal backpack. I really can't believe a fanny pack screams "gun" that much. I must be living under a rock.
At one time, people wearing fanny packs was the norm. Styles changed , people stopped wearing them....... except for the ccw people. Hence it kinda does scream gun . If you really want to go the fanny pack route . Here are my suggestions. Don't get one tactical colored. No black, camo, OD green. Desert. any of that. Go for fashion colors Lime green, blue , an all bright red might give the impression of red cross FAK.
Hang some innocuous items from it or sticking out of the pockets. Pen and paper, camera strap. Radio or digital music player.

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:00 pm

74 or more wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:34 am
Not sure if this is is the best place for this so please move if not. I've also seen a few threads a while back on here about this topic but i can remember what the rule are for reviving dead threads. So apologies all around.

I've been exploring different ways to carry concealed while hiking. Been thinking about this more and more now that I have kids. The 3 options i'm considering are the Hillpeople Recon bag (probably the most obvious choice), a fanny pack of some kind, or putting a Kifaru EDC Omni belt and Tombstone pocket on my Antero.

For some reason the fanny pack keeps peaking my interest. I think it's because it also makes a good option to keep in my car to go with my GHB. I like the idea that if i had to walk home i could just tuck this up under my pack and it becomes a comfortable way to carry and have easy access.

Thoughts anyone?
I'm with the "fanny packs scream 'GUN'" crew on this. It's the first thing that has always popped into my mind when seeing one, even back in the day when they were very popular. Almost as soon as they were invented both bad guys and good guys started carrying guns in them.

That being said, you're overlooking your 4th option, switching to a less obvious firearm that's easier to carry concealed. You don't mention what your carry gun is but perhaps it's time to look at it and its purpose on your hikes. Protection, obviously, but from two-legged threats or four-legged ones? Or both? Like any other tool, there's no single "gun" that is best for all the various purposes a gun has, so maybe try tailoring your choice of firearm for hikes to something that closely meets all your needs, both for protection and concealment.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:14 am

NT2C wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:00 pm
I'm with the "fanny packs scream 'GUN'" crew on this. It's the first thing that has always popped into my mind when seeing one, even back in the day when they were very popular. Almost as soon as they were invented both bad guys and good guys started carrying guns in them.

That being said, you're overlooking your 4th option, switching to a less obvious firearm that's easier to carry concealed. You don't mention what your carry gun is but perhaps it's time to look at it and its purpose on your hikes. Protection, obviously, but from two-legged threats or four-legged ones? Or both? Like any other tool, there's no single "gun" that is best for all the various purposes a gun has, so maybe try tailoring your choice of firearm for hikes to something that closely meets all your needs, both for protection and concealment.
Ah you're right, I left that part out. My usual carry gun is a sub compact 9mm (XDS) that I carry appendix, IWB. If i'm worried about 4 legged predators it's a Kimber k6 .357. To most people these aren't hard to conceal. And they really aren't for me either but I have a bit of a gut. So when it comes to a more physically involved hike, it becomes uncomfortable. Simple walking around....not a problem. That's why i'm exploring other options.
Montani Semper Liberi

My EDC/GHB

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:54 am

74 or more wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:14 am
NT2C wrote:

Ah you're right, I left that part out. My usual carry gun is a sub compact 9mm (XDS) that I carry appendix, IWB. If i'm worried about 4 legged predators it's a Kimber k6 .357. To most people these aren't hard to conceal. And they really aren't for me either but I have a bit of a gut. So when it comes to a more physically involved hike, it becomes uncomfortable. Simple walking around....not a problem. That's why i'm exploring other options.
When I CCW with a fanny pack I had a physically intense job . Trust me on this , if IWB/OWB is uncomfortable to you on the more physically involved hikes. You're going to hate the fanny pack.

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:45 pm

74 or more wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:14 am
NT2C wrote:

That XDS is pretty small, about the same size as my Shield 45 and I've pocket carried my Shield. That might be an option for you, depending on your pockets. Or maybe pick up a smaller gun just to pocket carry when hiking? Maybe something like a Ruger LCP II? A small .380 or 9mm will do the job at typical confrontation ranges, especially during hiking weather when people are lightly dressed.

Just tossing ideas out.

moab

Post by moab » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:27 pm

I used to carry in a fannypack back in the 90's too. But I don't associate them with carrying at all. The general public never had that impression in the first place. It was only gun types that knew pistol fanny packs even existed. And it's really an old mindset if anything. Believe it or not fannypacks have been coming back in recent years. I would not think once about someone with a fannypack carrying a gun in it. I might think wow what a dork! But not that your carrying. Unless your walking around the woods with one and your RUGER baseball cap on. And a WINCHESTERS ARE FOR WINNERS! Tshirt.

When hiking you get a pass also. As there are so many different bags to carry your stuff in. A USGI fannypack is a great way to carry last ditch supplies. Meaning after I ditch my pack and everything else. I'll only be left with the fannypack. As I don't take it off. I keep one on with survival essentials in it. As it doesn't interfere with my packs waist belt. And the USGI ones are large. You can fit a lot more in one than a HPG Recon bag. Having said that. The HPG kit bags are a great option. They also don't interfere with your pack. And don't look like your carrying either. I use both a fannypack and HPG recon kit bag in my preps. While hiking I usually carry one or the other. Or both without a pack.

There are so many other weirder looking waistbelts and fanny packs and consumer chest rigs for running and hiking. I don't see any of them screaming I'm carrying. People hiking generally don't think about people carrying. Unless you've got it showing. I wouldn't worry about either option conveying anything. Other than you've got some interesting backpacking gear. And even if you did open carry what are you worried about? So your protecting yourself from bears. No ones going to question you on it.

Lastly, who cares what anyone might "think" about your carrying. If they have a problem with it they're gonna keep their mouth shut and just move along past you on the trail. The only people that will give a shit are those that carry themselves. And even know what a HPG kit bag is in the first place. I guarantee you less than 5% of the people hiking aren't going to know what a kit bag is in the first place. And if anything you'll just be seen as a slight dork for carrying a fanny pack. Because a lot of hikers are just dorks in terms of fashion. Tending to wear what works for them. Rather than trying to maintain some hipper than thou Northface style going.

I think everybody needs to relax. If your that worried about it put in the top of your pack. And hope you have enough time to deploy it. Hell in Alaska and many northern states it's encouraged to carry. You wouldn't think twice if a guy had an open chest rig carry holster in the woods of Northern Montana. He'd be a fool not too.

My vote is very few people will think your carrying with any of the options you mention. And so what if they did? It's legal. And no ones gonna start a big conversation with you about it on the trail. Unless it's out of admiration. From a fellow gun person. Most all non gun people have no idea what gun types carry their guns in. And if they're uncomfortable with it your in the middle of the woods. Who's gonna say anything? And so what if they did? Move on down the trail.

That's my two cents. You get what you pay for. ;)
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:49 pm

For short hikes, I usually just carry as normal. For longer backpacking trips, I have a condor pouch that threads on my packs waist belt. I've modded the inside to hold my g27 and a spare mag with elastic to keep them in place.
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:18 am

moab wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:27 pm
Lastly, who cares what anyone might "think" about your carrying. If they have a problem with it they're gonna keep their mouth shut and just move along past you on the trail. The only people that will give a shit are those that carry themselves. And even know what a HPG kit bag is in the first place. I guarantee you less than 5% of the people hiking aren't going to know what a kit bag is in the first place. And if anything you'll just be seen as a slight dork for carrying a fanny pack. Because a lot of hikers are just dorks in terms of fashion. Tending to wear what works for them. Rather than trying to maintain some hipper than thou Northface style going.

I think everybody needs to relax. If your that worried about it put in the top of your pack. And hope you have enough time to deploy it. Hell in Alaska and many northern states it's encouraged to carry. You wouldn't think twice if a guy had an open chest rig carry holster in the woods of Northern Montana. He'd be a fool not too.

My vote is very few people will think your carrying with any of the options you mention. And so what if they did? It's legal. And no ones gonna start a big conversation with you about it on the trail. Unless it's out of admiration. From a fellow gun person. Most all non gun people have no idea what gun types carry their guns in. And if they're uncomfortable with it your in the middle of the woods. Who's gonna say anything? And so what if they did? Move on down the trail.

That's my two cents. You get what you pay for. ;)
I completely agree with you.
Montani Semper Liberi

My EDC/GHB

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:15 pm

Stercutus wrote:

fAnny pak, jeans or leather vests, Jacket in florida in the summertime [well any month but january], handlebar mustaches with sideburns, yeah its profiling.

OT: A rig like this that you can connect between your shoulder straps. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=96547

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

moab

Post by moab » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:36 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:15 pm
Stercutus wrote:

fAnny pak, jeans or leather vests, Jacket in florida in the summertime [well any month but january], handlebar mustaches with sideburns, yeah its profiling.

OT: A rig like this that you can connect between your shoulder straps. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=96547

HILLarious!
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:15 am

I personally can't stand chest packs - they are hot, and get in the way. I carry my trail CCW in a Wilderness SafePacker. It doesn't look like a holster, but holds handgun and a reload very readily accessible. I wear mine on the hipbelt of my pack normally, and it looks like a map folder, or something similar.

https://www.thewilderness.com/safepacke ... d-options/

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”