Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:06 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:23 pm
How did I not know about this place?

http://unammo.com/
Neat. Another website to bookmark in my favorites folder. :clap:

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:19 pm

NT2C wrote:

That is one I can claim to have known about before they were popular. I'm such an ammo hipster.

They consistently have neat, hard to find ammo in small batches.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:38 pm

That time the Army packed guns like sardines for long term storage

In a move to test out ways to preserve small arms for future generations, Springfield Armory spent much of the late 1940s working on long-term storage containers which essentially canned racks full of guns, ready to use. This included packing 10 M1 Garands complete with their required accessories, into sealed air-tight metal canisters alongside bags of desiccant. The can-o-Garand held 10 rifles and weighed 175-pounds when loaded.

20 M1911A1 .45ACP pistols and 40 magazines. According to Springfield Armory National Historic Site, SA canned 59,920 M1911A1s at a cost of $1.57 each. Each can weighed some 90-pounds.

*Moar at link.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:56 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:38 pm

In a move to test out ways to preserve small arms for future generations, Springfield Armory spent much of the late 1940s working on long-term storage containers which essentially canned racks full of guns, ready to use. This included packing 10 M1 Garands complete with their required accessories, into sealed air-tight metal canisters alongside bags of desiccant. The can-o-Garand held 10 rifles and weighed 175-pounds when loaded.

20 M1911A1 .45ACP pistols and 40 magazines. According to Springfield Armory National Historic Site, SA canned 59,920 M1911A1s at a cost of $1.57 each. Each can weighed some 90-pounds.

*Moar at link.
I have checked and double checked and they didn't bury any of those in my yard as part of the testing and then forgot about them. :?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:56 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:19 pm
NT2C wrote:

That is one I can claim to have known about before they were popular. I'm such an ammo hipster.

Ah yes, small batch ammo, for the discerning shooter.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:16 pm

IIRC, "freedom Munitions" also sells (sold) small quantities for the discerning company-sized element.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:56 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:38 pm

<snip pic>

<snip pic>

*Moar at link.
I gotta be honest: a can that's like 5 Garands, 5 1911s, a few clips/mags for each, and a reasonable load of ammo would have been bitchin'.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:02 pm

the_alias wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:25 pm
Langenator wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:46 am
RapidM4 wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:16 am
Interesting discussion on the 10mm - http://proarmspodcast.com/015-10mm-harold-fish-case/
Would it kill people to provide a transcript? I don't like vlogs, and I'm not a fan of podcasts unless I'm driving long distance. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I can read stuff faster than they can talk.
I think a lot of podcasts don't come from a script - might be the reason they don't provide one.
Not a script - a transcript. Write down what was said. I don't even care if you don't clean it up.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:20 pm

This fits in more than one area so I'm going to post it here and a couple others.

Those of you who are Reddit users and in the area of NW Virginia, the subreddit r/VAGuns is having their Spring Range Day at The Cove on April 6th. More info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/VAGuns/comment ... _saturday/

Note: this is open to non-reddit folks too - everyone is welcome!

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:35 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:56 pm
woodsghost wrote:
NT2C wrote:

Man I'm seeing some really bad ideas for the first time on that site. I gotta get out more.

Fostech echo trigger. for those who like to accidentally get shot by their rangemates when they didn't realize the gun they just picked up has an echo shot.

Soda can launcher in an AR Upper. Great for sending cold drinks or TShirts to people in the stands of the sports area. Not only might the impact kill someone, but you're likely to be killed for wielding an AR looking device at a sporting event. Or for expensive skeet shoots. PULL! no I'd rather drink that beer. Now if the internal dimension of the 'tube' would allow for mortar shells then, WINNING!
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:07 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:35 pm
NT2C wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:56 pm
woodsghost wrote:
NT2C wrote:

Man I'm seeing some really bad ideas for the first time on that site. I gotta get out more.

Fostech echo trigger. for those who like to accidentally get shot by their rangemates when they didn't realize the gun they just picked up has an echo shot.

Soda can launcher in an AR Upper. Great for sending cold drinks or TShirts to people in the stands of the sports area. Not only might the impact kill someone, but you're likely to be killed for wielding an AR looking device at a sporting event. Or for expensive skeet shoots. PULL! no I'd rather drink that beer. Now if the internal dimension of the 'tube' would allow for mortar shells then, WINNING!
I guess binary triggers are something not everyone agrees on.

Can cannon....is marvelous. Launch cheap soda or beer cans, line up friends with shotguns or rifles or machine guns, and have them shoot it out of the air. Or shoot steel with cans. Or any other target. It is pretty cool and a cheap and fun party trick. My preferred weapon for shooting cans on the move is the shotgun. With the rifles and machine guns we had to have a proper area and proper angles.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:59 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:35 pm

Soda can launcher in an AR Upper. Great for sending cold drinks or TShirts to people in the stands of the sports area. Not only might the impact kill someone,
RIP Maude Flanders
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:45 am

yossarian wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:59 pm
RIP Maude Flanders
She was a good woman. She is still missed.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:22 pm

This just in.

M&P15-22 Consumer Safety Alert

PRODUCT AFFECTED:
ALL models of M&P15-22 rifles and pistols manufactured before February 1, 2019.

STOP USING YOUR M&P15-22 UNTIL IT HAS BEEN INSPECTED AND YOUR BOLT REPLACED (IF NECESSARY).

http://swmysql-stage.eastus.cloudapp.az ... fety-alert
woodsghost wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:07 pm
I guess binary triggers are something not everyone agrees on.

Can cannon....is marvelous. Launch cheap soda or beer cans, line up friends with shotguns or rifles or machine guns, and have them shoot it out of the air. Or shoot steel with cans. Or any other target. It is pretty cool and a cheap and fun party trick. My preferred weapon for shooting cans on the move is the shotgun. With the rifles and machine guns we had to have a proper area and proper angles.
How far do the cans go?
We use hand held clay pigeon throwers or just throw the clays in the air by hand. at ~.06 each that's 90 shots for the same price of a sixer of cheap beer. And then we'd drink the cheap beer.

So what's your favorite cheap beer [and to keep OT] to shoot at, or drink after using firearms, or drink after just thinking about using firearms, or chatting about firearms?
I went with Milwaukie's Best back in the day when funds were low. But wouldn't think of shooting at it, let alone spill a drop.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:47 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:01 pm
We replicate convoy dust conditions and torture an Arsenal SLR104FR (AK74 in 5.45x39) with horrific moon dust, filth and rocks.

The AK didn't handle the InRange mud test all that well but how will it do with dust and sand?

Convoy Dust Test: M4gery / AR15

Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:36 pm

New FK BRNO PSD Multi-Caliber Pistol Released at IWA Outdoor Classics

Every gun nerd on the planet was either all about the possibilities of the 7.5 FK round designed solely for the FK BRNO Field Pistol or highly skeptical of the performance benefits it claimed; sadly the $7,500 cost of entry was too high for many to find out for themselves. FK BRNO heard the plea for a more “affordable” model and have designed a polymer frame version of the Field Pistol, the FK BRNO PSD. Today, the pistol made its public debut at the IWA Outdoor Classics in Germany.

While the rest of the world got both a 5-inch and a 6-inch version of the Field Pistol, the US only saw the 6-inch version. The new PSD is pretty close in size to the 5-inch Field Pistol but sports a more economical polymer frame and redesigned slide that is pre-milled for a Trijicon RMR.

The new pistol should come in at right around $2,000 USD once the ATF approves the importation of the polymer framed PSD.

One of the more interesting aspects of the PSD is the ability to shoot not only the 7.5 FK cartridge but also 10mm and 9mm Luger with nothing more than a barrel change. When we spoke with Rob Pincus about the new gun, he indicated that the pistol won’t even need a spring change when swapping calibers.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:51 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:22 pm
This just in.

How far do the cans go?
We use hand held clay pigeon throwers or just throw the clays in the air by hand. at ~.06 each that's 90 shots for the same price of a sixer of cheap beer. And then we'd drink the cheap beer.

So what's your favorite cheap beer [and to keep OT] to shoot at, or drink after using firearms, or drink after just thinking about using firearms, or chatting about firearms?
I went with Milwaukie's Best back in the day when funds were low. But wouldn't think of shooting at it, let alone spill a drop.
I don't remember cans ever going more than 50 yards. But we have a berm we fire at and a really big hill behind that. And we fire downwards into a bowl (old dry river bed) with a huge hill as a backstop if shooting FA. If shooting shotguns I almost always have it tagged before it gets beyond 25 yards. :D

And when you are with men and women who have multiple guns that cost more than any car I am likely to ever own, worrying about the $.25 soda can and $.30 blank is not something that happens. Especially with mags being $10 each. :cry: Yeah, shotgun shells are about $.25 each, so that is another reason for me to stick with those.

No alcohol is consumed while guns are out and loaded. Not around me, anyway.

My choice of cheap beer? Honestly? Budweiser. Just strait Budweiser. Nothing fancy. I"m usually an Amber or Dark beer guy and I prefer it on tap. I am also usually done after 1, maybe 2 beers. I think of myself as a very cheap date. I"ll admit to also being a lightweight, which makes me an ever cheaper date. ;)

But my other friends and I used to have ATF parties. We would get together in the afternoon, shoot and smoke. Then go home and smoke, drink, and clean guns. Usually zombie movies played in the background, but I remember some Chuck Norris and Star Trek. And a few Star Wars animated episodes. I miss those days.

Damn zambies.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:09 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:22 pm
How far do the cans go?

Looking at the videos of it in action I'd say 75 yards would be about the max, but tennis balls would probably go almost 200. As for beer, my meds have not allowed me that luxury for quite a few years now, but back when I could I would say Rolling Rock, Schaffer (old NY brand), Schlitz (I worked for them for a summer), or PBR. For better commercial beer I was a confirmed Red Stripe drinker and I had a serious fondness for imported porters and stouts, especially Taddy Porter. I also had a fondness for Brooklyn Lager, but then again, the owners were friends of mine who were always bringing me beers to try. Ah... the good old days.

Back on topic for the thread, local gun show here tomorrow and the wife is letting me go. Alone. With a credit card that's mostly clean and has a high limit. Oh dear... :ohdear: :awesome: :crazy:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:40 pm

I always miss the gun shows in my AO.

Although if the quality of them has slipped any further than it was a few years back, maybe it's a good thing I haven't been able to go to one.

The gun shows in my AO seem to be more oriented towards the flea market type vendors and the garage sale crowd. I say that because those types of vendors outnumber the actual gun vendors by about 15 to 1.

And the few gun vendors there always seem to jack up their prices to insane levels (think post-Sandy Hook prices) and then wonder why they don't sell anything all weekend.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:41 pm

I'm not sure if "impressive" is the word I'm looking for but it sure is something. I've seen five stacked in a barrel before, never thought anyone would try to beat that.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:46 pm

yossarian wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:41 pm
I'm not sure if "impressive" is the word I'm looking for but it sure is something. I've seen five stacked in a barrel before, never thought anyone would try to beat that.
How in the blue hell didn't the guy not notice the problem after the second or third squib ? :shock:

I hope that guy bought a lottery ticket after Hi-Point emailed him the pic of his barrel. Dude came really freaking close to some serious injury.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:33 pm

Some of y'all may be interested in this, but my bayonet would block the light.Image

New Streamlight TL-Racker, Lumen Wealth for Your Shotgun

Streamlight dropped official news of the TL-Racker they debuted at SHOT 2019 to the excitement of many looking for a low budget forend light. The light will be available for both Remington 870 shotguns as well as the Mossberg 500/590 series of shotguns.

The TL-Racker brings some much-needed competition to the shotgun light segment. With an output of 850 lumens and 14,000-candela, beating out the Surefire DSF shotgun lights’ 600-lumen, 13,000-candela output at a small cost. The new TL-Racker requires the use of two CR123A batteries where the Surefire light only requires one.

The TL-Racker from Streamlight carries an MSRP of $225 but we have already seen street prices around the $120 mark on the web.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:29 am

600 Lumen is kinda bright,..
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:58 am

brothaman wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:29 am
600 Lumen is kinda bright,..
Depends on what you want to illuminate. The one on my shotty is 850 lumens:

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”