Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:11 pm

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:35 pm

Anyone see Palmetto State Armory's new Gen4 9mm ARs and their KS47 Gen2 lines?

Just saw them on their Daily Deals but haven't read anything.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:36 pm

roOism wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:08 am
Looking at AR pistols at the local shop today, and ended up liking the Daniel Defense MK18 and Sig MCX over everything else they had. Between the two the MK18 was noticeably less bulky, and the price point was similar enough.

Anyone have a preference? I'm leaning toward the Mk18, but not sure if there's something the Sig has that it doesn't that might make me reconsider.
I bought a Sig MCX hybrid "pistol" in .300 Blackout maybe like 3 or 4 months ago.

I think it is something like an 8 or 9 inch barrel.

The brace folds.

It makes for a really compact gun.

I haven't tried yet, but I bet I could get it to fit in a leather laptop bag

For now, for trips back and forth to the range, it fits perfectly inside a Dewalt tool bag.

Guns are icky!

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:01 am

Now for a 10mm barrel assembly for my Aero Survival Rifle.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:53 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:35 pm
Anyone see Palmetto State Armory's new Gen4 9mm ARs and their KS47 Gen2 lines?

Just saw them on their Daily Deals but haven't read anything.
They're really proud of those KS-47s, if the price is any indication.

If they would sell the lowers separately, I'd buy one in a heartbeat, but so far they're not listing them.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:30 pm

I was on their site last week and noticed right off the bat the lack of AK kits. Did they give up on the line after all the bad reviews?
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:21 am

Are you talking actual AK pattern guns, or the AR type that take AK mags?

The KS-47 is the AR that uses AK mags (and thus the lower is quite different). Not sure about actual Kalishnikovs.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:37 am

Langenator wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:21 am
Are you talking actual AK pattern guns, or the AR type that take AK mags?

The KS-47 is the AR that uses AK mags (and thus the lower is quite different). Not sure about actual Kalishnikovs.
Yes. AK pattern. They not too long ago had all manner of AK kits and built guns. Even had videos showing how to assemble the guns with their kits. They had issues with the quality of the builds/parts .
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:54 am

I'm just annoyed because I've been wanting to get a KS-47 lower for almost a year. They were out of stock, so I did the "email me when in stock" thing...which expired, because it had been so long.

Now they have complete KS-47 guns, but not just lowers (assembled or stripped), and no word of if or when they'll offer just lowers.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:30 pm

Are the KS-47 lowers different in any way from the CMMG Mutant lowers ?

Actually, come to think about it, I haven't seen the Mutant lowers for sale in awhile either.

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:16 pm

Other than price, no clue. CMMG was a good bit more expensive, I know that.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:53 pm

It's been awhile since I've seen a CMMG Mutant for sale in a long time, so I can't even remember what they were going for.

I think they were around 1500 bucks or so, but I could be wrong. I do know they were expensive, though.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:26 pm

From the BATFE, via an email:

Discontinuance of Accessory Classifications
Effective Immediately:

The Firearms Technology Industry Services Branch (FTISB) classifies firearms as defined by the Gun Control Act (GCA) and National Firearms Act (NFA) based on the configuration and the design features of the firearm as submitted by members of the industry.

Effective immediately, any requests for a determination on how an accessory affects the classification of a firearm under the GCA or NFA must include a firearm with the accessory already installed. Except in cases of conditional import determinations, FTISB will not issue a determination on an accessory unless it is attached to the submitted firearm.

If you have previously submitted a sample accessory for classification, FTISB will be returning your sample without classification. FTISB will contact you in the near future with further instructions to facilitate the return of your sample.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:34 pm

Anyone want to buy an online gun business ?

Summit Gun Broker's owner recently posted on the site that he's wanting to sell his business and retire. Whoever buys it, I hope they keep the site up because I like browsing it and seeing all the used guns they get in stock from the various auctions and sales they hit. I'd buy it, but I doubt I'd be able to run it properly or even get a loan big enough. :(

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:25 pm

I couldn't find these on Full30, so.....

Some interesting discussion. The argument being hits are not increasing despite increased magazine capacity, and most fights end after a few hits on target. So why do we need larger capacity mags? Don't worry as much about whether you will run out, and instead develop the right mentality and make your hits. It is an interesting idea and flies in the face of those arguing moar bullets, moar better.

I"m not coming down on one side or the other. I'm interested in what y'all have to say.

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iryhgwFXrp0&t=2s[/YouTube]
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:02 pm

I'd rather carry a few extra rounds than too few rounds. While it's unlikely that I'll get into a situation where I'll need the extras, it's also very unlikely that I'll get into a situation where I'll need my firearm. Why prepare and train for one and discount the other? Marksmanship is a vital skill, and rounds on target are a must if you're to stop the threat, but suppressive fire is also something to consider. In an active shooter situation having 36 rounds instead of just 6 means you have ammo that can be used to pin down a shooter that you may not have a direct line of fire on, which can give innocents time to clear the area. Very unlikely to happen? Sure, I don't deny that, but we prep and train for the "very unlikely" all the time and I see this as part of that.

For the record, even in the house I carry at least one spare mag; outside the house it's anywhere from two to four, depending on if I'm carrying a backup gun. Failures to fire happen sometimes and I don't want to even think about it, just dump the mag, tap in a new one, rack the slide and go. My 9mm is a double stack (18) but my .45 and .380 are both single stack (6-7) so how many actual rounds I might be carrying can go from a low of 13 to a high of 70+.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:13 pm

Since this is the year of the 10mm I went in and felt the new XDM10, compared to the glock20 I held there and the glock40 I own. This this thing is leaps as bounds above anything glock has put out! The trigger is massively better, about half the play. And the oversized slide release is so much easier to manipulate than the glock release for reloading.

The gf can’t shoot the G40 because her hands are small, she held this and loved it. Plus it holds as many rounds as the glock.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:28 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:13 pm
Since this is the year of the 10mm I went in and felt the new XDM10, compared to the glock20 I held there and the glock40 I own. This this thing is leaps as bounds above anything glock has put out! The trigger is massively better, about half the play. And the oversized slide release is so much easier to manipulate than the glock release for reloading.

The gf can’t shoot the G40 because her hands are small, she held this and loved it. Plus it holds as many rounds as the glock.
I've been tossing around the idea of a 1911 for a while, just 'cause I like 'em. Problem is that I already have a 7+1 single-stack .45; seems a bit redundant, however much I like the design.

Turns out RIA (and others) makes a 10mm 1911. They also make a 10mm "2011", though I'm a bit ambivalent on the dumbass flared mag well (it's a large well feeding a really narrow-mouthed magazine; the flare seems redundant).

I think I might know my next gun purchase. Unless I swing back around to a 10/22 takedown. Or a mkIV lite.

So many options, so little budget.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:36 pm

boskone wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:28 pm
So many options core needs, so little budget.
FTFY. :wink:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:30 pm

I actually kind of miss the RIA 1911 I used to have. I traded it to a friend for a Ruger P89 and my friend no longer has the gun. So trading the P89 for the 1911 isn't an option anymore.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:39 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:30 pm
I actually kind of miss the RIA 1911 I used to have. I traded it to a friend for a Ruger P89 and my friend no longer has the gun. So trading the P89 for the 1911 isn't an option anymore.
I heard RIA is a solid firearm. What are your experiences?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:52 pm

Instead of rewatching Gone With the Wind or Lawrence of Arabia, here's Clay Martin's 10,000 round XDm 10mm torture test....

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:53 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:25 pm
I couldn't find these on Full30, so.....

Some interesting discussion. The argument being hits are not increasing despite increased magazine capacity, and most fights end after a few hits on target. So why do we need larger capacity mags? Don't worry as much about whether you will run out, and instead develop the right mentality and make your hits. It is an interesting idea and flies in the face of those arguing moar bullets, moar better.

I"m not coming down on one side or the other. I'm interested in what y'all have to say.

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iryhgwFXrp0&t=2s[/YouTube]
If the claims of increased capacity but similar number of hits is true... I wanna know if the first shots are hits and later shots are "spray n pray"
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:55 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:52 pm
Instead of rewatching Gone With the Wind or Lawrence of Arabia, here's Clay Martin's 10,000 round XDm 10mm torture test....

Those Fed Hydros are pumping out some weak-sauce .40 S&W numbers sadly...

I really want this gun as I'm moving to Alaska. But I wanna see a real torture test...

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”