Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

w3rdtoyamama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series.

Re: Firearms Chat 6: Year of the 10mm

Post by w3rdtoyamama » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Springfield, again, is a day late and a dollar short!
Not saying they are bad, they just take their time :awesome:
Czechnology wrote:Lots of people enjoy saying "Move" when people complain about their local/state laws, but that's a churlish, ignorant thing to say.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:57 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:42 pm
A couple vids....
Mud Test: Brownells BRN10-A
Springfield Armory XDM 10mm – The 10 We Have Been Waiting For
If more PCCs were made for Springfield magazines, I'd buy the new XDm 10mm in a heartbeat.

I wonder if they use (IIRC) S&W-dimension mags with the cutouts moved?

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:09 pm

flybynight wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:42 pm
w3rdtoyamama wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:58 pm
Convince me I do not need anymore handguns, esp compact handguns.
Childreth's law states that the number of handguns a person acquires admits a map to the 2-sphere that is non-trivial (i.e. non-homotopic to a constant map), when the 2nd Betti number of M is positive. This means the 2nd cohomology group has positive rank (by the universal coefficient theorem for cohomology), so it has a non-zero element. The properties of Eilenberg–MacLane spaces then give a corresponding non-trivial map f from M to the infinite-dimensional complex projective space CP∞, since it is a K(Z,2) Eilenberg–MacLane space. The space CP∞ can be realized as a CW complex with exactly one cell in each even dimension and no cells in odd dimension, while M can be realized with no cells in dimensions above 3, so by the cellular approximation theorem there is a map homotopic to f that maps M into the 3-skeleton of CP∞, which is the 2-sphere. Minus .01 of course

Plus compact handguns make you look fat
But I am fat! :?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:20 pm

I have been playing with my pistols lately and have decided that some must go or at a minimum no longer be considered as first line choices.

I am trying not to be a hater but the full size 1911 is simply too slow, heavy, bulky, low capacity and ergonomically antique in comparison to a modern poly striker fired pistol. It looks cool with a Garand, is accurate and the .45 out a 5" barrel is nice but that is about it. It is not "revolver bad" but it is bad enough. Museum piece. Deadly museum piece, but still.

Also DA autos anytime; the question is why? The answer is IDK. Proper training, equipment and skills negate any advantage. I see some gifting going on there.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:15 am

Stercutus wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:20 pm
Also DA autos anytime; the question is why? The answer is IDK. Proper training, equipment and skills negate any advantage. I see some gifting going on there.
I can't answer for you obviously, but for me the answer to that question is being able to carry hammer down on a loaded chamber means never having to rack a slide when I might not have two hands available. Since I walk with a cane, that's kinda important for me and why I carry the CZ clone if I know I'm going somewhere that's an elevated threat environment. A small consideration, no doubt, but still a valid one.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:11 am

flybynight wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:42 pm
Childreth's law states that the number of handguns a person acquires admits a map to the 2-sphere that is non-trivial (i.e. non-homotopic to a constant map), when the 2nd Betti number of M is positive. This means the 2nd cohomology group has positive rank (by the universal coefficient theorem for cohomology), so it has a non-zero element. The properties of Eilenberg–MacLane spaces then give a corresponding non-trivial map f from M to the infinite-dimensional complex projective space CP∞, since it is a K(Z,2) Eilenberg–MacLane space. The space CP∞ can be realized as a CW complex with exactly one cell in each even dimension and no cells in odd dimension, while M can be realized with no cells in dimensions above 3, so by the cellular approximation theorem there is a map homotopic to f that maps M into the 3-skeleton of CP∞, which is the 2-sphere. Minus .01 of course

Plus compact handguns make you look fat
:rofl:

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:47 pm

w3rdtoyamama wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:21 pm
I've asked before, but why is there such hate for Springfield? I've shot a lot of guns and they have some of the ergos as anything I've shot minus highend guns (talking 2x or more the price). I look forward to buying the XDM 10mm. I'm really regretting my purchase of the G40, I love that it's optic ready, but damn even in my mitts its hard to hold on to comfortably, plus the trigger on glocks is awful.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:09 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:47 pm
w3rdtoyamama wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:21 pm
I've asked before, but why is there such hate for Springfield? I've shot a lot of guns and they have some of the ergos as anything I've shot minus highend guns (talking 2x or more the price). I look forward to buying the XDM 10mm. I'm really regretting my purchase of the G40, I love that it's optic ready, but damn even in my mitts its hard to hold on to comfortably, plus the trigger on glocks is awful.
I think for the most part people don't dislike Springfield, but Springfield doesn't seem keen to jump ahead on trends and kinda halfass things.

E.g. the XDs (good pistol, well-timed, the 9mm was stupidly late, and the knurling was wildly excessive), or the M1A in 6.5 Creedmoor (only if you want the Loaded package). In both cases, the guns are mechanically fine, but some of the decisions are questionable.

That said, I have an XD9 and and XDs-45, and lust after an M1A and Springfield 1911. So they're not losing my business over their...peculiarities. Though I'm tempted to sell my XDs, because the damned thing chews holes in my clothing with all of it's sharp corners; maybe I can get enough to convince myself I need a 1911.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:26 pm

boskone wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:09 pm
I think for the most part people don't dislike Springfield...
Well, except for that whole <political thing we can't discuss on ZS> thing last year.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:49 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:26 pm
boskone wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:09 pm
I think for the most part people don't dislike Springfield...
Well, except for that whole <political thing we can't discuss on ZS> thing last year.
Never owned one of their modern era guns. Just seem like another middle of the road maker in a crowded market with nothing in particular to draw me in.
You go over and under
I go through

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:08 pm

After buying and building glocks I've come to realize WHY there is such an after market for them. You absolutely have to swap out triggers, sights, and your mag release, optional but highly recommended is swapping the slide release for a larger one. All of those come standard on a Springfield. /shrug maybe I'm a fan boy but if I'm going to buy something I want it to work well out of the box, not need 4-5 things from the aftermarket right out of the box. I get that they aren't really innovating, they play it safe and come out with things after others, and I must have missed their political post or whatever.

I just see lots of vitriol on facebook, interwebz, etc anytime someone says the S word.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:37 pm

Sort for killing the chat :ohdear:

I’m having a brain fart about where to buy bulk reloading stuff. I’m running low on 9mm bullets and I remember there was an auction site that had lots of them. Or really, any site that sells 1000+ bags of bullets.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:40 am

The last time I bought some 9mm bullets for reloading was here https://outdoors.natchezss.com/products ... ng-bullets

But that was a long while ago. I’d be interested to see if there are cheaper (and just as reliable) vendors, so, let’s see what everyone else has...
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:17 am

FlashDaddy wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:40 am
The last time I bought some 9mm bullets for reloading was here https://outdoors.natchezss.com/products ... ng-bullets

But that was a long while ago. I’d be interested to see if there are cheaper (and just as reliable) vendors, so, let’s see what everyone else has...
That's the place I was thinking of. I think MP showed me that one a year or more ago and I forgot to bookmark it. I usually shop Midway or Midwest shooters supply or something and they are nice, but they usually don't have bulk stuff that's reasonable. Looking at Naches they have 1000 for about what I'd normally pay for 500.

I'm also trying to remember what the name of some of the different auction sites are. Gun broker has a reloading area but its expensive. I know there are others but I'm having a massive brain fart.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:38 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:17 am

I'm also trying to remember what the name of some of the different auction sites are. Gun broker has a reloading area but its expensive. I know there are others but I'm having a massive brain fart.
Auction Arms is the other big auction site. They changed to Gunauction.com a while back.

These guys might be worth checking out too https://www.berrysmfg.com
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:54 pm

So whats everyone's thoughts on Remington's TAC 13 vs. the TAC 14. Thinking about getting the TAC 14 in 20 gauge, figured I'd ask you all first. :clap:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:27 pm

Brekar wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:54 pm
So whats everyone's thoughts on Remington's TAC 13 vs. the TAC 14. Thinking about getting the TAC 14 in 20 gauge, figured I'd ask you all first. :clap:
Does Remington make a Tac-14 in 20 gauge yet ? I've only seen the Mossberg Shockwave in 20 gauge, but I haven't heard anything about a 20 gauge Remington Tac-14.

And the Tac-13 is the semi auto one, right ? If so, I kind of want one of those as well. I've got no real use for either the Shockwave, Tac-14 or 13, but I still want them. :lol:

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:47 pm

Tac 13 is the semi auto one yes...

20 Gauge Tac-14

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:49 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:27 pm
Brekar wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:54 pm
Does Remington make a Tac-14 in 20 gauge yet ? I've only seen the Mossberg Shockwave in 20 gauge, but I haven't heard anything about a 20 gauge Remington Tac-14.

And the Tac-13 is the semi auto one, right ? If so, I kind of want one of those as well. I've got no real use for either the Shockwave, Tac-14 or 13, but I still want them. :lol:
I would take a hard look at Black Aces Tactical. Here is a great vid discussing the TAC 13 and Black Aces. And other firearms news. It was a good episode.

https://www.full30.com/video/8a65f90388 ... 1bdac87b71

(new revolver speed loader info for revolver owners)
(VSKA info)
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:42 pm

I'll stick with the KSG for all my minimum length shotgun needs. It isn't any longer than the TAC14, has 3X the ammo, a rail and a butt stock.
You go over and under
I go through

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:55 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:42 pm
I'll stick with the KSG for all my minimum length shotgun needs. It isn't any longer than the TAC14, has 3X the ammo, a rail and a butt stock.
^^This

I cant watch the vid but I think it's the one that talks about the price of the Black Aces and how its coming in at almost half the price for the same gun.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:53 am

Personally, I really wonder about some people. Where's the weapon light? Gotta have a weapon light! :crazy:

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:02 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:53 am

Personally, I really wonder about some people. Where's the weapon light? Gotta have a weapon light! :crazy:
Looks fake to me. Nobody in their right mind would NOT have put a camo grip on that otherwise fine instrument of precision destruction
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:22 pm

flybynight wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:02 pm
NT2C wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:53 am

Looks fake to me. Nobody in their right mind would NOT have put a camo grip on that otherwise fine instrument of precision destruction
There is some work that needs to be done there. Laaaassser, Back up optic aiming device, BUIS, hammer spur extension, on board speed loader storage just to get the ball rolling.
You go over and under
I go through

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”