Six Guns Every US Prepper Should Own + 2 More that are a good idea

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Stercutus

Re: Six Guns Every US Prepper Should Own + 2 More that are a good idea

Post by Stercutus » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:40 am

South Africa. There is a whole other problem set there. Thank you for your insights.

Without any working knowledge of the area at all I would think that a bolt action rifle in a .30-06 or larger (some big game caliber) caliber would be a requirement. But I have never been there,
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

delarey

Re: Six Guns Every US Prepper Should Own + 2 More that are a good idea

Post by delarey » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:26 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:40 am
South Africa. There is a whole other problem set there. Thank you for your insights.

Without any working knowledge of the area at all I would think that a bolt action rifle in a .30-06 or larger (some big game caliber) caliber would be a requirement. But I have never been there,
The chances of running into big game is slim to none. I lived in Mpumalanga for a few years and have had run-ins with hippo and elephant. Both can be handled with a 12ga and slugs - in fact, I think more handily than with a rifle unless you are going into the 375H&H and higher calibers.
99% of the game you are going to run into will be impala, baboon, monkeys, rabbits and such. Snakes are a constant problem, but with the exception of Mamba, most of them are easily dispatched with a slingshot or stick. Now leopard was a problem on the farm where I grew up. I seem to recall a picture in a MAN/Magnum magazine (local hunting rag) of an x-ray of a big male leopard's skull after being hit with some kind of buckshot. None penetrated. I suspect it was at a bit of a distance and not a full power load (low recoil?). It's been at least 30 years since I saw that, so don't quote me on it.
But yeah, a concealable handgun and a good 12ga will do just about anything you need done in the more civilized parts of Africa...now you go north and you'd better have at least an AK :mrgreen:

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”