Interesting statement from Springfield

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Interesting statement from Springfield

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue May 15, 2018 7:59 pm

Putting this here in case conversations go sideways (please don’t y’all) and a mod has to punt... I won’t get into the root cause(s), but believe it’s OK to state that I agree with Springfield Armory and go out of my way to avoid Dick’s sporting goods even though it’s closer than Academy Sports, Cabela’s, etc. for me.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2018/05/04/sp ... Newsletter
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Interesting statement from Springfield

Post by raptor » Tue May 15, 2018 9:37 pm

Mossberg has also cut off Dicks...ummm .... I mean Mossberg has stated they will not sell to Dicks... :roll:

Hoo boy...

Dicks Sporting goods has has several suppliers terminate their business arrangements with them...What can I say other than they are living up to their name...Dicks.

BTW it ok to discuss the termination of business relationships just not the politics which is the root cause of the matter.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue May 15, 2018 10:17 pm

raptor wrote:Mossberg has also cut off Dicks...ummm .... I mean Mossberg has stated they will not sell to Dicks... :roll:

Hoo boy...

Dicks Sporting goods has has several suppliers terminate their business arrangements with them...What can I say other than they are living up to their name...Dicks.

BTW it ok to discuss the termination of business relationships just not the politics which is the root cause of the matter.
Hi-Point as well.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed May 16, 2018 6:46 am

I think they will be down to Berretta and handful of other foreign companies in no time.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed May 16, 2018 8:03 am

This could snowball quickly. Like if companies who have ancillary connections to shooting sports . Like Realtree, Escalade Sports. Ect. Decide it's in their long term interests to sever ties to Dick's also
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed May 16, 2018 8:42 am

flybynight wrote:This could snowball quickly. Like if companies who have ancillary connections to shooting sports . Like Realtree, Escalade Sports. Ect. Decide it's in their long term interests to sever ties to Dick's also
The icing on their failcake would be if Yeti also drops them as they continue to try to do damage control from what they did with the NRA.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed May 16, 2018 1:46 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
flybynight wrote:This could snowball quickly. Like if companies who have ancillary connections to shooting sports . Like Realtree, Escalade Sports. Ect. Decide it's in their long term interests to sever ties to Dick's also
The icing on their failcake would be if Yeti also drops them as they continue to try to do damage control from what they did with the NRA.
As much as I despise the status symbol of a $500 Gucci cooler that is YETI, that whole debacle was more about Marion Hammer of the NRA-ILA than actually YETI's doing. But then again, both parties make me roll my eyes.
Yeah but UnderArmour won't as they will sell their souls to the devil to sell a pair of sneakers.

On a side note, I hear-tell Ruger wants to drop them as well, but Ruger uses a distributor-network and not-factory direct so that will be a challenge. Plus they are publicly traded adn their shareholders recently required them to do a "gun violence study" so who knows what they'll let corporate Ruger to do.

Just hope for Vista Outdoors (savage and federal and others), American Outdoors Brands (S&W and T/C and others), and maybe Freedom Group (rem and marlin and others) will sever ties. I don't really see Freedom Group doing it but maybe... just maybe the other two will as Dick's only sells like 3 guns a year.

I also don't know why Dick's is sabotaging their Field and Stream stores as they really have their work cut out for them in competition with Cabela's/Bass Pro and now Gander Outdoor's comeback. Granted, Dicks and F&S sell overpriced garbage and I only go there to try stuff out to order online. Dick's was in financial trouble last year I believe so I think they are getting their free press but it may sink them more in the future.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed May 16, 2018 1:53 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
Yeti can't drop Dick's because Dick's exactly is the market they aim to sell to. The damage with the NRA is done, no need to get stupid.

Also the NSSF severed ties to Dicks.
Just hope for Vista Outdoors (savage and federal and others), American Outdoors Brands (S&W and T/C and others), and maybe Freedom Group (rem and marlin and others) will sever ties. I don't really see Freedom Group doing it but maybe... just maybe the other two will as Dick's only sells like 3 guns a year.
HiPoint is a Freedom brand. Remington and Colt are in bankruptcy so I doubt they will cut off a huge retailer or if their creditors will allow them to.
You go over and under
I go through

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed May 16, 2018 2:46 pm

Stercutus wrote:
HiPoint is a Freedom brand.
Me thinks that's a mistake (but it is a funny joke considering what the Rem RP9 looks like hahahaha). HiPoint is it's own company that I am aware of, but MKS is the distributor with Inland, which ended the deal with Dick's.

I couldn't find anything about HiPoint being a part of Freedom Group/Remington Outdoor nor its holding company, Cerberus.
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed May 16, 2018 3:40 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Stercutus wrote:
Me thinks that's a mistake (but it is a funny joke considering what the Rem RP9 looks like hahahaha). HiPoint is it's own company that I am aware of, but MKS is the distributor with Inland, which ended the deal with Dick's.

I couldn't find anything about HiPoint being a part of Freedom Group/Remington Outdoor nor its holding company, Cerberus.
You are correct I was thinking of the other high quality gun maker DPMS.
You go over and under
I go through

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed May 16, 2018 4:41 pm

Stercutus wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

You are correct I was thinking of the other high quality gun maker DPMS.
HAHAHA very true... at least the DPMS got a lot of people into an AR for $400 and they do make a decent AR10 in the G2 series.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed May 16, 2018 4:58 pm

Ancillary to shooting sports... Let's be clear here. Dick's has openly declared their hostility to a segment of the American public. The loss of my patronage is just as forgone as the implicit intention to also not support with my buying dollars any manufacturer who continues to do business with them in a alternate retail location. No matter what their product line may be.

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed May 16, 2018 6:21 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:Just hope for Vista Outdoors (savage and federal and others), American Outdoors Brands (S&W and T/C and others), and maybe Freedom Group (rem and marlin and others) will sever ties. I don't really see Freedom Group doing it but maybe... just maybe the other two will as Dick's only sells like 3 guns a year.
On that subject, REI has more-or-less severed ties with Vista Outdoors until Vista complies with "common sense solutions".

I elected to sever ties with REI until they acquire some common sense to apply to their solutions. Was even about to buy a bunch of stuff from 'em.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed May 16, 2018 6:47 pm

boskone wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:Just hope for Vista Outdoors (savage and federal and others), American Outdoors Brands (S&W and T/C and others), and maybe Freedom Group (rem and marlin and others) will sever ties. I don't really see Freedom Group doing it but maybe... just maybe the other two will as Dick's only sells like 3 guns a year.
On that subject, REI has more-or-less severed ties with Vista Outdoors until Vista complies with "common sense solutions".

I elected to sever ties with REI until they acquire some common sense to apply to their solutions. Was even about to buy a bunch of stuff from 'em.
I'm a very obnoxious person when I want to be. One of my favorite hobbies is when I go to REI (window shop for other online retailers) is to walk around with my buddies and when I see a staff member, I'll say something loud so that the staff can overhear like "Hey, this place is just like Cabela's... I bet the gun section is upstairs next to the climbing wall". Generally, the sales associate will either look at me and kinda chuckle... or look absolutely enraged.

I had an incident once where I was talking about REI's fictional gun section in the parking lot and got some negative words from the driver of the Patagonia-Subaru-Prius-with-roof-rack-bumper-stickers that I was parked next to... I guess she did not find my sarcasm humorous as "hunters are not sportsmen and only have small genitalia". I probably ruined her day but it made mine.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed May 16, 2018 7:45 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
boskone wrote:

I'm a very obnoxious person when I want to be. One of my favorite hobbies is when I go to REI (window shop for other online retailers) is to walk around with my buddies and when I see a staff member, I'll say something loud so that the staff can overhear like "Hey, this place is just like Cabela's... I bet the gun section is upstairs next to the climbing wall". Generally, the sales associate will either look at me and kinda chuckle... or look absolutely enraged.

I had an incident once where I was talking about REI's fictional gun section in the parking lot and got some negative words from the driver of the Patagonia-Subaru-Prius-with-roof-rack-bumper-stickers that I was parked next to... I guess she did not find my sarcasm humorous as "hunters are not sportsmen and only have small genitalia". I probably ruined her day but it made mine.
Did you prove her wrong by displaying your genitalia to her?

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed May 16, 2018 8:41 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
boskone wrote:

I think I met that lady in New Mexico one time. Either that or it was her sister.

Also, what is it with folks like that and pulling the old "Hunters/gun owners/people I don't agree with have small peckers" card ? I mean, can they not come up with a better insult ? :lol:

Bearcat

Post by Bearcat » Wed May 16, 2018 9:34 pm

Last edited by Bearcat on Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed May 16, 2018 9:52 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
boskone wrote:

I think I met that lady in New Mexico one time. Either that or it was her sister.

Also, what is it with folks like that and pulling the old "Hunters/gun owners/people I don't agree with have small peckers" card ? I mean, can they not come up with a better insult ? :lol:
I've found they seem to be pecker fixated. It s always on their minds. :rofl: They're dick heads

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed May 16, 2018 10:25 pm

Bearcat wrote:
Vista outdoors is selling off springfield and other black rifle makers they own. One report is saying they are selling off all their gun manufacturers, but they seem inclined to keep savage. http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018 ... -firearms/
Vista does not own Springfield Armory. Here's a list of Vista Outdoor's brands...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vista_Out ... _of_brands

List of brands:

Bee Stinger
Bell Sports
Blackburn
Bollé
Bushnell
CamelBak
Camp Chef
CoPilot
Cébé
Final Approach
Giro
Gold Tip
Jimmy Styks
Krash
Millett
Night Optics
Primos Hunting
Raskullz
Serengeti Eyewear
Simmons Optics
Tasco
Weaver Optics
Alliant Powder
American Eagle
Blackhawk!
Blazer Ammunition
Butler Creek
CCI
Champion
Eagle Industries
Estate Cartridge
Federal Premium
Force on Force
Gunmate
Gunslick Pro
Hoppe's 9
Independence Ammo
M-Pro 7
Outers
RCBS
Redfield
Savage Arms
Speer Ammo
Speer Bullets
Stevens Arms
Uncle Mike's
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu May 17, 2018 1:50 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
I already got warrants... but I should have done it and yelled "My body, my rights!" and "Free the ta-tas, down with the patriarchy"

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu May 17, 2018 1:57 pm

flybynight wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

I've found they seem to be pecker fixated. It s always on their minds. :rofl: They're dick heads
I mean, it's totally logical that a firearm equates to phallus

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu May 17, 2018 2:06 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
I already got warrants... but I should have done it and yelled "My body, my rights!" and "Free the ta-tas, down with the patriarchy"
I'd have made her buy me dinner first before that.

"No dinner, no show, ma'am.". :lol:

Back on topic, I've never been to a Dick's Sporting Goods (not even sure if there are any in my AO.), but with all the 2A hate they've been springing lately, I'm steering clear of them regardless.

Academy, Cabela's and the hardware stores that sell guns are who is going to be getting my hard earned cash. Matter of fact, my last two firearms purchases were made at a local hardware store and a local feed and seed type store.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu May 17, 2018 2:27 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
I'd have made her buy me dinner first before that.

"No dinner, no show, ma'am.". :lol:

Back on topic, I've never been to a Dick's Sporting Goods (not even sure if there are any in my AO.), but with all the 2A hate they've been springing lately, I'm steering clear of them regardless.

Academy, Cabela's and the hardware stores that sell guns are who is going to be getting my hard earned cash. Matter of fact, my last two firearms purchases were made at a local hardware store and a local feed and seed type store.
We have one here at one of the local malls. I've been in it a few times but was never impressed by their hunting section or firearms section. This just gives me a further reason to do my shopping elsewhere.

Current Weather in My AO

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu May 17, 2018 2:33 pm

Dick's kind of reminds me of Big 5 Sporting Goods, to be honest.

The Big 5 in Hobbs (probably about an hour or so West of me now) tends to focus more on their football and golf sections than anything else. Their firearms section is literally just one twelve foot section along with the knife selection. Even the ammo selection sucks.

Prices do too. Case in point, a brick of .22LR ammo (for example, the Winchester 333 stuff) costs 60 bucks a brick. I can get the same stuff at Walmart or Academy for a little over 20 bucks.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”