Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

woodsghost

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by woodsghost » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:28 pm

Dogan wrote:Problem: Broke college student need rifle light, prefer 18650 and sub $150.

Solution: Armytek? PFlexPro? Stremlight HL-X or 2L-X? Already stock 18650's.
Streamlight Plolytac. $30-$50.

Mounting hardware, can be $10 total.

I can post links when I'm a a computer.

If a 5.56 or similar, the Plolytac will be great. If 7.62x51, it will work, but maybe not a 10 year investment. It works good on my 12 ga for the last 250 rnds. Gonna keep testing till it dies.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:11 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Dogan wrote:Problem: Broke college student need rifle light, prefer 18650 and sub $150.

If a 5.56 or similar, the Plolytac will be great. If 7.62x51, it will work, but maybe not a 10 year investment. It works good on my 12 ga for the last 250 rnds. Gonna keep testing till it dies.
Polytac can run on 18650 or 123a only?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:58 pm

I put one of these on my .22 mag bolt action. No regrets. It's actually a pretty nice light and has stood up to getting banged around in the back of my pickup.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JR ... UTF8&psc=1
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:18 pm

Dogan wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

This one uses CR123a batteries. Mine might use CR123s. I should check that....

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88850 ... B001S0IN46

But I think mine advertises 1.5 hours on the brightest setting, and I only uses it for momentary flashes here and there when I do exercises in the apartment. So I"m not that worried about running the battery down. I should still get a spare though.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:23 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Dogan wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

This one uses CR123a batteries. Mine might use CR123s. I should check that....

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-88850 ... B001S0IN46

But I think mine advertises 1.5 hours on the brightest setting, and I only uses it for momentary flashes here and there when I do exercises in the apartment. So I"m not that worried about running the battery down. I should still get a spare though.
*rechargable* CR123a.... :)

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:06 pm

MPMalloy wrote:

Solution: Armytek? PFlexPro? Streamlight HL-X or 2L-X? Already stock 18650's.
I'm not familiar with the lights you mention, but I have a Streamlight TLR-6 on my Glock 26 & it has never let me down.
A TLR-6....on a rifle?
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:17 pm

RickOShea wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:

Solution: Armytek? PFlexPro? Streamlight HL-X or 2L-X? Already stock 18650's.
I'm not familiar with the lights you mention, but I have a Streamlight TLR-6 on my Glock 26 & it has never let me down.
A TLR-6....on a rifle?
A nod to the company.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:13 pm

They don't take 18650s, but I've got a pair of Bushnell Pro 150L (I think they're the 150 lumen ones. Might be the 200 lumen ones, I'm not sure) lights my AKs. I like them and they're like 30 bucks at Walmart.

I did have a Streamlight Poly Tac on my AKs before I got the Bushnell lights, so I'd probably go with Streamlight again if I were in the same boat.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:13 pm

Well since I had a second recoil pad on my shotgun to add some LOP, I decided to try the 3 inch mags again. While they were more manageable and comfortable, they still jumped a bit. To the tune of "Lets send a piece of picitinny into WG's thumb and take a bunch off." So I have a flap of skin about half the size of a dime hanging off. That sucked. It would not stop bleeding either till I found napkins and duct tape in the car. I thought I had a FAK in there, but apparently not. I've fixed that now.

When I got home my wife put lavender essential oil on there, and that helped quite a bit with the bleeding. She wanted me to maybe get stitches, but I"ll wait and let it heal. If it gets infected I"ll visit the doc, otherwise this is a chance to learn more medical stuff. I think it was pretty clean though. That much blood had to have washed out any foreign material.

But seriously, when it happened I let out a loud "not again!" using mostly four letter words. It is not getting injured that bothers me. It is recovery time. And "memories" that might persist and act up occasionally.

Also, again, nothing but 2 3/4 shells for me ever again. Not even if I should live to one hundred or one hundred and ten.

I would not hesitate to put 3 inchers through a heavier gun. But for HD, it is solely the smaller rounds.

I also got a 5 rounder HD gun thinking "why would I ever need more?" My next HD gun will have more capacity. Just what I"ve concluded.

I also found out Winchester's segmented slugs are rather amazing. Winchester and Federal are my top brands for shotgun HD rounds. Lots of other companies make good stuff, but those two are tops.

[EDIT] Also, just my general observation, but I suspect tritium sights on shotguns are not really necessary unless one lives in a state where one intends to do night hunting but is not allowed to use a red dot sight. If using a shotgun for HD, one will have a light, and this light will illuminate a Big Dot sight, though not necessarily a bead. I do believe the Big Dot type sights are VERY necessary on shotguns.

I"ll try to get some more practice in and maybe some night hunting this winter. If I still hold to these opinions after all that I'll share again.

On the other hand, I might use my rifle for night coyotes. :twisted: We will see.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:26 pm

Just my thoughts on the shotty for HD, mine was an 8 round Mossberg, just a bead front. At typical HD type ranges if you can't hit your target with just a bead sight you might as well just use the thing as a club.

In other news: Spent the day out at a friend's place and shot the shit out of a small patch of soybeans that was behind our targets. 200 rounds of 230 grain +P .45 ACP; 300 rounds of 124 grain +P 9mm; 100 rounds of 124 grain 9mm; 50 rounds of .40 cal (didn't get more info than that on the load); and a dozen or two rounds of 158 grain .38 cal. tends to tear up the beans a bit. We'll be paying for a bushel or two or three I think.

(Buddy rents a double wide that sits in the middle of the fields from the guy who owns them.)

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:34 pm

https://www.facebook.com/notes/us-pract ... 887697744/

IPSC World Shoot XVIII, France

The mission wasn't impossible after all. It was said that the accuracy standard on several stages would be too difficult for the Americans, the hit factors much lower than what we are used to. The theme song from Mission Impossible played as we marched into the opening ceremony. The match was certainly not easy, a World Championship shouldn't be. As the match progressed each of the six days, with US competitors shooting in all 12 of the time slots, and the support team working every hour, it became apparent we were in the hunt. The final results yielded several podium placements, but it wasn't until the awards banquet that the magnitude of our star on the world stage was evident....

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:30 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:Just my thoughts on the shotty for HD, mine was an 8 round Mossberg, just a bead front. At typical HD type ranges if you can't hit your target with just a bead sight you might as well just use the thing as a club.

In other news: Spent the day out at a friend's place and shot the shit out of a small patch of soybeans that was behind our targets. 200 rounds of 230 grain +P .45 ACP; 300 rounds of 124 grain +P 9mm; 100 rounds of 124 grain 9mm; 50 rounds of .40 cal (didn't get more info than that on the load); and a dozen or two rounds of 158 grain .38 cal. tends to tear up the beans a bit. We'll be paying for a bushel or two or three I think.

(Buddy rents a double wide that sits in the middle of the fields from the guy who owns them.)
What's a bushel of soybeans go for these days ?

Only thing I know is cotton because some of my cousins work the cotton fields and even the low grade stuff goes for about 3 to 4 grand. Higher grade stuff goes for a lot more.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:34 am

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:Just my thoughts on the shotty for HD, mine was an 8 round Mossberg, just a bead front. At typical HD type ranges if you can't hit your target with just a bead sight you might as well just use the thing as a club.

Only thing I know is cotton because some of my cousins work the cotton fields and even the low grade stuff goes for about 3 to 4 grand. Higher grade stuff goes for a lot more.
About 5 bucks a bushel is what my buddy says.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:55 am

woodsghost wrote:Also, just my general observation, but I suspect tritium sights on shotguns are not really necessary unless one lives in a state where one intends to do night hunting but is not allowed to use a red dot sight. If using a shotgun for HD, one will have a light, and this light will illuminate a Big Dot sight, though not necessarily a bead. I do believe the Big Dot type sights are VERY necessary on shotguns.
Right now I have an XS big dot barrel band on the 930. The 870 currently has a green fiber optic front sight. My old "heavy metal" 870 and Mossy .410 also have F/O front beads.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:42 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

About 5 bucks a bushel is what my buddy says.
So y'all would be out about 15 bucks or so ?

In other news, I was told the other day that the new Mossberg Shockwave shorty shotgun was illegal in Texas for a little while. According to some, it's now legal in my state, but it seems no one can give me a straight answer on if that's true or not.

Barr
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Holy Trilogy of Dawn, Night and Day, Land of the Dead, Survival of the Dead, Diary of the Dead, Fido, Shaun of the Dead, hell all of them really

Post by Barr » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:02 pm

Mossberg Shockwave became legal in Texas on Sept 1.

https://blog.uslawshield.com/tag/mossberg-shockwave/

https://openstates.org/tx/bills/85/HB1819/

These should have the pertinent info for you.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:Fuck it I'm Zombie Squad. I got this shit

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:21 pm

Barr wrote:Mossberg Shockwave became legal in Texas on Sept 1.

https://blog.uslawshield.com/tag/mossberg-shockwave/

https://openstates.org/tx/bills/85/HB1819/

These should have the pertinent info for you.
Thanks, Barr.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:37 pm

RickOShea wrote:
woodsghost wrote:Also, just my general observation, but I suspect tritium sights on shotguns are not really necessary unless one lives in a state where one intends to do night hunting but is not allowed to use a red dot sight. If using a shotgun for HD, one will have a light, and this light will illuminate a Big Dot sight, though not necessarily a bead. I do believe the Big Dot type sights are VERY necessary on shotguns.
Right now I have an XS big dot barrel band on the 930. The 870 currently has a green fiber optic front sight. My old "heavy metal" 870 and Mossy .410 also have F/O front beads.
I'm using the XS Big Dot too, with tritium. Having shot targets at night, I don't think the tritium was super useful. Especially when considering I'll be illuminating the target with a light. But if no light is used, and the states I have hunted in don't allow lights, then that tritium makes sense. Otherwise, tritium would maybe make sense in a night time PAW Patrol (had to say it). In a disaster like Harvy I would not shoot anything without a light. But then, honestly, I'd probably only shoot pigs, rats, and other vermin.

Just where I'm at for the time being.

As for bead sights, I like them. The Big Dot is just a bigger bead. My hits and speed really improved with the Big Dot. But a Red Dot would be better.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:37 pm

woodsghost wrote:As for bead sights, I like them. The Big Dot is just a bigger bead. My hits and speed really improved with the Big Dot. But a Red Dot would be better.
LOL. Well, I have a Fastfire w/ an ADM QD mount on the 870, and an RMR w/ a LaRue QD mount on the 930. :awesome:

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:27 pm

RickOShea wrote:
woodsghost wrote:As for bead sights, I like them. The Big Dot is just a bigger bead. My hits and speed really improved with the Big Dot. But a Red Dot would be better.
LOL. Well, I have a Fastfire w/ an ADM QD mount on the 870, and an RMR w/ a LaRue QD mount on the 930. :awesome:
Well color me jealous! Lol I don't have a red dot on there yet. Only recently got my first for my rifle.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:18 pm

woodsghost wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
Well color me jealous! Lol I don't have a red dot on there yet. Only recently got my first for my rifle.
The Burris Fastfire 3 isn't bad. Unlike the Fastfire 2, you can change the battery without having to remove the mount....bad thing is, it uses a CR1632 battery, instead of the CR2032 like the Fastfire 2 (and just about every other micro/mini red dot).

As for the RMR, normally I wouldn't put a $500 red dot on a shottie. I originally got it to piggy-back on an ACOG, but ended-up not liking that set-up. So it was just sitting around, needing a home.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:58 pm

US Air Force Adopts Magpul GEN M3 PMAG

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/08/29/us ... gpul-pmag/

According to a document entitled, “USAF Authorized Small Arms and Light Weapons (SA/LW) Accessories (as of 28 July 17)”, the US Air Force has followed USSOCOM and the Marine Corps’ lead and adopted the 30rd Magpul GEN M3 PMAG in both Black and Tan. Specifically, they are authorized for use with the M4/M4A1 Carbine, GUU-5P (sic) Carbine, and M249 Automatic Rifle (sic).

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:13 pm

YAY! Just got the call, can go pick up my little LCP380! Sad part, the LGS has STUPID hours, and I wont be able to get it until Monday :(
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:54 pm

Halfapint wrote:YAY! Just got the call, can go pick up my little LCP380! Sad part, the LGS has STUPID hours, and I wont be able to get it until Monday :(
This will not stand!....Just burn a couple hours of sick leave or vacay. Image

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”