Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

woodsghost

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by woodsghost » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:30 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:17 pm
Hey everybody.

I am getting ready to attach my mount to my AR and put the scope on. It occurred to me that I have never done this before. Who has a good YouTube channel for this?

Thank ya, thank ya vury much. (THE KING LIVES emoji)!
Attaching a scope ring to a picatinny rail? Or attach a carry-handle scope base to an AR carry handle? Or attach a T1 microdot to a base and then attach that base to a picatinny or weaver rail? What are we attaching? this sounds rather fun!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:33 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:41 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:46 pm
I've got big monkey arms (think Clyde from "Any Which Way You Can") and even I dislike the fixed stock on ARs.

I got a chance to handle an older Colt AR (I think it was an SP1) at a gun show a few years back and the fixed stock just felt awkward to me. I mentioned that to the dealer and he told me "Yeah, the fixed stock sucks if you're not like 7 feet tall and have orangutan arms. Actually, it sucks even then too."
^^^These are some....odd....statements.^^^

I have no problem with A1 stocks. They are about the same length as where I typically run my collapsible stocks.

It might've just been that one AR that had an awkward stock fit, to be honest. I haven't tried an A1 stocked AR since then, so my data is a bit skewed.

I used to dislike the grips on Glocks and now I own three of them, so I may find I like the A1 stock or similar if I can try one out again.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:43 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:33 pm
RickOShea wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
I've got big monkey arms (think Clyde from "Any Which Way You Can") and even I dislike the fixed stock on ARs.

I got a chance to handle an older Colt AR (I think it was an SP1) at a gun show a few years back and the fixed stock just felt awkward to me. I mentioned that to the dealer and he told me "Yeah, the fixed stock sucks if you're not like 7 feet tall and have orangutan arms. Actually, it sucks even then too."

I have no problem with A1 stocks. They are about the same length as where I typically run my collapsible stocks.

It might've just been that one AR that had an awkward stock fit, to be honest. I haven't tried an A1 stocked AR since then, so my data is a bit skewed.

I used to dislike the grips on Glocks and now I own three of them, so I may find I like the A1 stock or similar if I can try one out again.
I still appreciate the input earlier. I have shot the A2 stock and don't care for it. I think the A1 is a compromise between the A2 and the AK, and I wonder if that would be a good fit. But all of us have different body types and shapes, and I felt your message was "try it out and be aware it might be awkward."

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:29 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:43 pm

I think the A1 is a compromise between the A2 and the AK, and I wonder if that would be a good fit.
LOP is going to be fairly similar...

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:33 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:30 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:17 pm
Hey everybody.

I am getting ready to attach my mount to my AR and put the scope on. It occurred to me that I have never done this before. Who has a good YouTube channel for this?

Thank ya, thank ya vury much. (THE KING LIVES emoji)!
Attaching a scope ring to a picatinny rail? Or attach a carry-handle scope base to an AR carry handle? Or attach a T1 microdot to a base and then attach that base to a picatinny or weaver rail? What are we attaching? this sounds rather fun!
The AR has a full length picatinny rail that runs the length of the upper and the handguard. Both the scope and the mount are from Burris. The scope is a MTAC 1-4x24mm 30mm tube which is illuminated. The mount is a AR-PEPR QD w/smooth ring tops.

I do appreciate everyone's opinions. Thank you!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:36 pm

What's the difference in length between an A1 and A2 AR stock ?

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:40 pm

RickOShea wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Put me on the list of people for whom fixed stocks (A2 length) generally work just fine. I've got 2 in my safe - one with a standard A2 stock, one with an ACE skeleton. (For the record, I'm 6'2" with arms to match.)

I will say that an adjustable is right handy when I have to wear body armor, especially when doing CQB type shooting (i.e., standing upright, facing the target) as opposed to prone, kneeling, or sitting (aka, Camp Perry style).
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:41 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:36 pm
The internet says about 3/8 of an inch. I thought it was more than that. I guess I was wrong. I thought it was an inch.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:42 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:29 pm
woodsghost wrote:

I think the A1 is a compromise between the A2 and the AK, and I wonder if that would be a good fit.

Damn those are good looking guns. Than you for the pics and information!

I love me some East German goodness and the vintage USAF M16 furniture is amazing.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:48 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:41 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
The internet says about 3/8 of an inch. I thought it was more than that. I guess I was wrong. I thought it was an inch.
5/8".

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:59 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:42 pm
RickOShea wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

I love me some East German goodness and the vintage USAF M16 furniture is amazing.
Don't let that picture fool you. Even though a 5 foot tall, malnourished peasant can easily wield an AK....the AR is too long, unless you're a 7 foot tall orangutan. :roll:

According to K-Var, an AK with a Warsaw Pact length buttstock has an LOP of 12.625". An AR with A1 stock has an LOP of 12.875".....quarter of an inch difference.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:51 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:59 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:42 pm
RickOShea wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

Don't let that picture fool you. Even though a 5 foot tall, malnourished peasant can easily wield an AK....the AR is too long, unless you're a 7 foot tall orangutan. :roll:

According to K-Var, an AK with a Warsaw Pact length buttstock has an LOP of 12.625". An AR with A1 stock has an LOP of 12.875".....quarter of an inch difference.
I think positioning/ergonomics will be a big deal. I like to keep my AK low in my shoulder for good sight alignment. AR's traditionally were taught to run them high in the shoulder... as someone mentioned "Camp Perry style" (I am responding to this to add in my 2 cents, not to correct or directly reply to Rick or Woods as they know more than me).

I'll have to get out my AR and AK and compare. LOP might not be everything... we might have to measure the comb and cheek placement to sights.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:21 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:48 pm
woodsghost wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
5/8".

So it's not really that much of a difference?

Now I'm sitting here wondering just which style stock it was on the AR I handled years ago. I know it was a fixed stock, but that's about it.

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:13 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:21 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:48 pm
woodsghost wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
5/8".

So it's not really that much of a difference?

Now I'm sitting here wondering just which style stock it was on the AR I handled years ago. I know it was a fixed stock, but that's about it.
Actually, the ones in that picture look like they're both A2 'style,' but one is A1 length.

My memory of the actual, military issue A1 is a bit hazy, since I haven't handled one since 1996, at least. (My ROTC unit borrowed them from a local NG unit for training.) But here goes:

-A1 stock was a shiny(ish) black plastic. The A2 stock was a non-reflective dark gray, as seen in the photo above.

-Butt plate on the A1 was also black plastic, IIRC. A2 butt plate is checkered metal, and has a trap door compartment for holding a GI cleaning kit. (National Match service rifle shooters put a lead weight in the comparment)

Those are the differences that I remember.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:16 pm

I know it's arf.com, but this post has a good run down of the differences.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/What_ ... /4-307798/
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:13 pm

Langenator wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:13 pm
Actually, the ones in that picture look like they're both A2 'style,' but one is A1 length.

My memory of the actual, military issue A1 is a bit hazy, since I haven't handled one since 1996, at least. (My ROTC unit borrowed them from a local NG unit for training.) But here goes:

-A1 stock was a shiny(ish) black plastic. The A2 stock was a non-reflective dark gray, as seen in the photo above.

-Butt plate on the A1 was also black plastic, IIRC. A2 butt plate is checkered metal, and has a trap door compartment for holding a GI cleaning kit. (National Match service rifle shooters put a lead weight in the comparment)

Those are the differences that I remember.
A couple of those Brownells retro AR's that Woodsghost is interested in come with reproductions of the original style stock..... A one piece rubber buttplate (no trap door), single attachment screw, and sling swivel held in place with a roll pin. Kinda kewl. My old Colt SP1 came with the 2 screw, trap door A1 stock.

For historic reference...

Retro Black Rifle 601

Retro Black Rifle XM16E1

Retro Black Rifle M16A1

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:24 am

Brass deflector = good catch. It's like air superiority, as a rightie I just assumed...
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:37 pm

Damn....Dood took a nasty 7.62x54 ricochet to the face. Not a nice pic, but coulda been a helluva lot worse.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmrtv1XA6um ... litaryarms

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:00 pm

I got the scope & mount installed yesterday. Boresight & then dial it in, The indoor range in Johnston only goes out to 75 ft. :( I'll look for an actual rifle range. Issac Walton might have one. Last I heard, there is no rifle huntin' in Iowa, so rifle ranges aren't that prevalent. I see what happens.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:02 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:37 pm
Damn....Dood took a nasty 7.62x54 ricochet to the face. Not a nice pic, but coulda been a helluva lot worse.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmrtv1XA6um ... litaryarms
Damn, that's F'ed up. :shock:

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:56 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:00 pm
I got the scope & mount installed yesterday. Boresight & then dial it in, The indoor range in Johnston only goes out to 75 ft. :( I'll look for an actual rifle range. Issac Walton might have one. Last I heard, there is no rifle huntin' in Iowa, so rifle ranges aren't that prevalent. I see what happens.
The place I used to know does not seem to exist anymore. Have you looked at Banner range? Googeling them, they look promising. I Google image searched them. I would maybe give them a call?

And there is plenty of coyote hunting in Iowa. And Iowa legalized strait walled cratages for hunting deer (2017? 2016?), so now there are a lot of rifle hunters. And I was always jealous the bottom two rows of countries could rifle hunt deer while the rest of the state was limited to shotguns. But no more!!! If I move back I want a .357 bolt action. Or maybe a .44 mag, but probably the .357.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:43 pm

I am a sucker for reading gun periodicals.

So I picked up the Book of the AK47 tonight while at the grocery store.

There is a pretty good article on the 9X39 round. Yes, the same round the VSS Vintorez uses:

It is a subsonic round and Wolf ammo is starting to import it.

Could be a game chang-a... especially for you folks in states that allow suppressors.

Maybe the next .300 Blackout???

Some manufacturers are making AR bolts, and barrels for it.

Guns are icky!

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:42 am

chills1994 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:43 pm

There is a pretty good article on the 9X39 round. Yes, the same round the VSS Vintorez uses:

Could be a game chang-a... especially for you folks in states that allow suppressors.

Who, exactly, is making bolts and barrels? I have been trying to figure that out. Yes, I'm very interested, though I don't have any suppressors yet.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:38 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:42 am
chills1994 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:43 pm

Who, exactly, is making bolts and barrels? I have been trying to figure that out. Yes, I'm very interested, though I don't have any suppressors yet.
I will have to look that up in that article.

Just off the top of my head...Krebs...yes Krebs, the people known for their AK's, are supposedly making AR parts now.

I will be back in a few.

Guns are icky!

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”