Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

chills1994

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by chills1994 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:53 pm

Took the Sig MCX/Hybrid in .300 Blackout to the range yesterday.

I had bought two long flat bladed screw drivers so I could adjust the gas regulator. It seemed to run just fine with subs with the exception that it wouldn't lock the bolt back on the last round fired.

Reaching in with the screwdriver from the muzzle end , I got the gas regulator switched to the + setting, and the bolt locked back just fine.

:clap:

Oh....yeah...I am really digging the EOtech's reticle. I used to poo poo EOtechs all the time. Shooting at circular paper plates at various distances...makes for real easy targets...just make sure everything is concentric.

Guns are icky!

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:02 pm

w3rdtoyamama wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:51 pm
chills1994 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:42 pm
according to Clint Smith (of Thunder Ranch fame)...something like 80% of all people shot by handguns survive.

Also, according to him "handguns put bullets into people...rifles put holes through people."
Well probably because 80% are drivebys and barely hit the leg, let alone a vital organ. Kind of an exaggeration, but whatever :clap:
Yeah...from a data collection standpoint, I don't know how one would go about quantifying or classifying handgun wounds to extremities...

especially if you consider hitting the femoral artery in the leg would most likely cause a person to bleed out in like 30 seconds.

Guns are icky!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:22 pm

Anyone use one of those Magpul B.A.D levers ?

I'm considering getting one for my AR and I just wanted to get some opinions on it.

Would I be wasting my money on one or is it a worthwhile upgrade to my AR ?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:51 pm

chills1994 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:02 pm
w3rdtoyamama wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:51 pm
chills1994 wrote:
according to Clint Smith (of Thunder Ranch fame)...something like 80% of all people shot by handguns survive.

Also, according to him "handguns put bullets into people...rifles put holes through people."
Well probably because 80% are drivebys and barely hit the leg, let alone a vital organ. Kind of an exaggeration, but whatever :clap:
Yeah...from a data collection standpoint, I don't know how one would go about quantifying or classifying handgun wounds to extremities...

especially if you consider hitting the femoral artery in the leg would most likely cause a person to bleed out in like 30 seconds.
Heyjackass does the best job of that I know.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:16 pm

chills1994 wrote:
That's because unless you are literally "loaded for (grizzly) bear", handgun rounds suck. They aren't the rootin' tootin', instant death, hammers of God people think they are.

Here's an oldie-but-goodie video that hasn't been posted in a while. NSFW.

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:54 pm

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:15 am

I was listening to a video talking about the recent releasing of M16A1 and other retro type rifles. The maker of this particular video mentioned in passing that if you don't already have a stable of ARs, he does not recommend starting with a retro (AR) M16A1. Any ideas why someone might say that? Or do most of you feel an A1 style AR would be fine for a "first AR?"

Sooner or later I"ll finally get another rifle. I"m wanting to get one of the retro A1s or a retro XM177E2 copy (or both, eventually). Both rifle types are available several places, but Brownell's seems to be one of the simpler solutions.

Thanks for any advice!
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:19 am

I don't know why he would say that but in my opinion the reason you don't want to Retro AR is primarily due to limitations on mounting of scopes ,lights and other accessories that we tend to like right now.

The scope mount on the original AR-15 was terrible compared to today's flat tops in that it went through the carrying handle via a single attachment point.

If you wanted to mount a light on it you had to use one of the funky attachments on the front post.

Still YMMV and I have several range toys that are not really practical. If you want one get one.

EDITED TO ADD
This is an example of what I am talking about.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/970584404/C ... pe-USE.htm

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/ ... _Scope.jpg

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:47 am

Woods' - I say do it. Either an original as a collectible or a retro because you can. Don't let Raptor's personal bias against 90mph tape influence your decision. Enough wraps and that light will not move.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:13 am

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:15 am
I was listening to a video talking about the recent releasing of M16A1 and other retro type rifles. The maker of this particular video mentioned in passing that if you don't already have a stable of ARs, he does not recommend starting with a retro (AR) M16A1. Any ideas why someone might say that? Or do most of you feel an A1 style AR would be fine for a "first AR?"

Sooner or later I"ll finally get another rifle. I"m wanting to get one of the retro A1s or a retro XM177E2 copy (or both, eventually). Both rifle types are available several places, but Brownell's seems to be one of the simpler solutions.

Thanks for any advice!
I would agree with the maker of the video, if, you wanted that AR as a working AR, for the reasons that raptor went into. If you just simply wanted an A1 as a collector's item or a range toy, then by all means, knock yourself out.

$0.02 @ $0.00 out-of-pocket cost. :mrgreen:

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:38 am

In looking for photos I ran across this auction of a High Standard 10B with when it was introduced was the ne plus ultra of "night shooting" in the late 1970s early 1980s it was built to have a d cell flash light mounted to it.
https://www.gunauction.com/buy/10508229

I made the mistake of buying one and traded it quickly. Just a reminder of why retro is not always practical. The shotgun was heavy the light mounted off center was also heavy and while it was great having a light it just was not practical. The lightbulb, even a mag lightbulb, tended to break due to the recoil.

When people talk about the good old days my reaction is generally to say they were not that great.

Yeah Yeah I know, I am an old codger ... now get off my lawn!

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:04 pm

if, you wanted that AR as a working AR
HA. This is the internet.

Here are some ideas why:
1. For the cost of an original, or a retro, you can build one yourself and add a gunshow flashlight, 'scope,' broomstick, advanced quick-draw-super-claw-dual-fling sling, folding-super-mega-9-in-1 bipod, super cert c, d, t and p-mags, real-like moss and tree camo coat w/ hideaway cleaner kit, and a laser emitter of any color you choose and get a free box of ammo.
2. While performing #1, it is more likely that you will mingle with the shooting community in some way, aid that market and the economy.
3. While performing #1 and #2 you will probably get out and shoot more.

So, yeah, what Raptor and MM said. Still, if you purchase a XM177E2 and a MAC(V)SOG t-shirt, you'll fit right in at your local VFW. Although a life member, I find that, locally, everyone over 75 that goes regularly was MAC(V)SOG.
Henry David Thoreau

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Asymetryczna » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:05 pm

P.S. I didn't see the video.
Henry David Thoreau

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:33 pm

On the retro discussion our agency recently acquired about 100 M16A1 that were from the Post-Vietnam era. That was about a year ago. These had not been fired since before 1980 but were stored well and new condition.

Taking them to the range was no joy at all. The musket length barrels, the carry handle upper, fixed stock etc all showed how far we have come and why AR's have gone the way they did. Our armorer has spent the last year acquiring new uppers and the rifles are pretty much the same as a modern rifle these days.

If you want one just to have one go ahead. Just don't kid yourself that it is a better choice for anything other than show.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:38 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:33 pm

SNIP
The musket length barrels, the carry handle upper, fixed stock etc all showed how far we have come and why AR's have gone the way they did.
SNIP
Actually this reminded me of the best AR feature at least as far as I am concerned. The adjustable stock IMO was the best improvement to the AR. The others are nice but that ability to adjust the length of pull did more for me for comfort and accuracy than anything else.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:46 pm

I've got big monkey arms (think Clyde from "Any Which Way You Can") and even I dislike the fixed stock on ARs.

I got a chance to handle an older Colt AR (I think it was an SP1) at a gun show a few years back and the fixed stock just felt awkward to me. I mentioned that to the dealer and he told me "Yeah, the fixed stock sucks if you're not like 7 feet tall and have orangutan arms. Actually, it sucks even then too."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:51 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:15 am

Thanks for any advice!
Well, in the case of the Brownells retro rifles, they have original spec 1/12 twist barrels.....so you are probably going to have problems with the longer 62 - 77 grain boolitz not stabilizing.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:14 pm

Thanks everyone! If there are more thoughts, I'm all ears.

I'm thinking it looks cool, they range in weight (unloaded) between 5.5-6.5 lbs, and would make a nice woods bumming gun. With 55gr 5.56, of course.

The idea would be to specifically NOT add accessories. Except a sling. Just leave it stock.

If the LOP was bad I could add a fixed entry length stock. Keep most of the look with a different LOP.

The only social work it would be asked to do is help me defend my fox hole at my BOL. If no other guns made it with me. And it was actually fox hole time.

Mostly I'm interested in a super light weight gun that throws the 55gr well and looks cool. :) My AK weighs 10.5 lbs, loaded (with optic). For that weight I could carry a XM177 and 5 loaded 30 rnd mags. Depending on laws I could break it in half and carry that in a pack while camping.

The rest of what you all have said is extremely helpful. Thank you.

EDIT: I am also wanting an AR I can spend time learning the platform with so I'm not just an AK guy. And in theory, if I knew some bad guys were wearing AR 500 type armor, the full power 55gr 5.56 out of a 20 inch barrel would give some decent effective range. But that is pretty theoretical.

And I could sing the Green Berets song while shooting or woods bumming. That is a big bonus feature.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:33 pm

If you shoot lefty like me, the lack of a Brunson bump/brass deflector on those retro rifles is no bueno.

I went with Colt 723/Diemaco C7 style uppers for my retro middy and IDF Katsar clone builds....Still has that A1 carry handle flair, but with the added comfort of a brass deflector.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:14 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:33 pm
If you shoot lefty like me, the lack of a Brunson bump/brass deflector on those retro rifles is no bueno.

I went with Colt 723/Diemaco C7 style uppers for my retro middy and IDF Katsar clone builds....Still has that A1 carry handle flair, but with the added comfort of a brass deflector.

Is that a Meprolight sight?

Was that carry handle mount difficult to find?

Also....that flaslight attaching to the bayonet lug is very cool.

As always Rick, you have the best pics/best "toys".

EDIT: I am going to listen to that doctor's youtube video on the way into work tonight.

Guns are icky!

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:17 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:05 pm
P.S. I didn't see the video.
Right at 8:00 he makes the comment, and that caught my attention.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:19 pm

chills1994 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:14 pm
Is that a Meprolight sight?

Was that carry handle mount difficult to find?
Its a Mepro M21-CH. It came with the carry handle mount. If all you needed was the mount, they can usually be found on Amazon or eBay.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:41 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:46 pm
I've got big monkey arms (think Clyde from "Any Which Way You Can") and even I dislike the fixed stock on ARs.

I got a chance to handle an older Colt AR (I think it was an SP1) at a gun show a few years back and the fixed stock just felt awkward to me. I mentioned that to the dealer and he told me "Yeah, the fixed stock sucks if you're not like 7 feet tall and have orangutan arms. Actually, it sucks even then too."
^^^These are some....odd....statements.^^^

I have no problem with A1 stocks. They are about the same length as where I typically run my collapsible stocks.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:17 pm

Hey everybody.

I am getting ready to attach my mount to my AR and put the scope on. It occurred to me that I have never done this before. Who has a good YouTube channel for this?

Thank ya, thank ya vury much. (THE KING LIVES emoji)!

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”