Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Locked
User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3162
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:02 pm

I got a Desantis dual carry holster for my LC9. It turns out my body does not conceal a LC9 in any way. I'm done with IWB holsters for this pistol.

I love the holster. From now on I will only carry this pistol with OWB holsters and jackets or Hawaiian shirts.

My S&W snub is so far the most concealable pistol I have owned. Some .380s might work. But I'm rather surprised with this finding.

Skinny guys have a tough time.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

boskone
* * *
Posts: 737
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Aggieland-ish

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by boskone » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:39 pm

I can't help with the skinny thing, but I've really liked the DeSantis Nemesis I bought to pocket-carry my EC9s.

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3162
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:57 pm

boskone wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:39 pm
I can't help with the skinny thing, but I've really liked the DeSantis Nemesis I bought to pocket-carry my EC9s.
Being skinny is both a curse and a blessing. I look very fashionable. Very hipster. But even with baggy clothes I cannot really conceal anything. Well, not much, anyhow.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4500
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:02 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:57 pm
boskone wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:39 pm
I can't help with the skinny thing, but I've really liked the DeSantis Nemesis I bought to pocket-carry my EC9s.
Being skinny is both a curse and a blessing. I look very fashionable. Very hipster. But even with baggy clothes I cannot really conceal anything. Well, not much, anyhow.
Slim. If I could just be slim. And not ugly. :clownshoes:

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2897
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by flybynight » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:48 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:57 pm
boskone wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:39 pm
I can't help with the skinny thing, but I've really liked the DeSantis Nemesis I bought to pocket-carry my EC9s.
Being skinny is both a curse and a blessing. I look very fashionable. Very hipster. But even with baggy clothes I cannot really conceal anything. Well, not much, anyhow.
What holsters besides the dual carry have you tried? If a snubby conceals well, that little Ruger should be easier. T shirt for the covering garment?
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2897
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by flybynight » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:28 pm

Back when I was a much younger and thinner fbn I used to carry full size single stacks from 4 o'clock to sob , strong forward can't . Appendix carry otq?
ETA you are using a belt made as a gun belt right?
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7852
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by NT2C » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:55 pm

flybynight wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:28 pm
Back when I was a much younger and thinner fbn I used to carry full size single stacks from 4 o'clock to sob , strong forward can't . Appendix carry otq?
ETA you are using a belt made as a gun belt right?
This works well for us older, fatter guys too.

My summer EDC is a M&P Shield 45 in a DeSantis OWB thumb break leather holster with a strong forward cant, topped with a Hawaiian shirt. My winter EDC is a full sized CZ75 clone (EAA SAR B6P) in a MASC holster that's a twin of the DeSantis I use for my Shield 45, just sized for the CZ, topped by an appropriate layering of hoodies and outer jacket/coat. The smaller Shield was my choice for carry under the Hawaiian shirts because I felt the CZ would really print a lot. The other day I had to carry the CZ though (friend wanted to examine the DeSantis holster and try it out) and after a full day carrying it I asked several good friends that I'd spent time with that day if they'd noticed it printing and every one of them said they hadn't realized I was carrying at all. They all thought I'd left my EDC home for some reason.

I guess being a fat old fart has its good side.

My biggest issue though is with the weight of all my EDC crap. Pistol, mags, keys, wallet, knife, meds, etc. all add up, and most of my weight (285lbs @ 6'2") is in my gut, so even a good heavy leather pistol belt tightened to unmerciful levels (which eliminates any possibility of IWB) struggles to keep me from mooning the general public, so I wear suspenders too, under my Hawaiian shirt or hoodie. You slim guys struggling to CCW may have to adopt a similar style of dress.

(on the plus side, I get a hella lot of compliments on my shirts)
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9097
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by RickOShea » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:32 pm

SMH. Other people's kids....


Arrest is made in vandalism of monument honoring MOH recipient Michael Murphy

"Police arrested a 14-year-old boy and charged him with vandalism on Friday after a memorial to a slain Navy SEAL and Medal of Honor recipient was found smashed to pieces at a Long Island lake."




Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7852
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by NT2C » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:38 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:32 pm
SMH. Other people's kids....


Arrest is made in vandalism of monument honoring MOH recipient Michael Murphy

"Police arrested a 14-year-old boy and charged him with vandalism on Friday after a memorial to a slain Navy SEAL and Medal of Honor recipient was found smashed to pieces at a Long Island lake."




Image
If there were any justice in the world his court sentence would include having to explain his actions to the next graduating class at BUD/S
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2897
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by flybynight » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:55 am

KJ4VOV wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:55 pm
flybynight wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:28 pm
Back when I was a much younger and thinner fbn I used to carry full size single stacks from 4 o'clock to sob , strong forward can't . Appendix carry otq?
ETA you are using a belt made as a gun belt right?
].

My biggest issue though is with the weight of all my EDC crap. Pistol, mags, keys, wallet, knife, meds, etc. all add up, and most of my weight (285lbs @ 6'2") is in my gut, so even a good heavy leather pistol belt tightened to unmerciful levels (which eliminates any possibility of IWB) struggles to keep me from mooning the general public, so I wear suspenders too, under my Hawaiian shirt or hoodie. You slim guys struggling to CCW may have to adopt a similar style of dress.

(on the plus side, I get a hella lot of compliments on my shirts)
Yea I remember us talking about this. I've wanted to try something that came to mind but just have not got around to it.
Back when elastic belly band holsters came out I played around with the idea. They worked but found them to be quite the nuisance. Based on what we talked about and my experiments with belly bands I got to wondering if wearing two belts. One in the normal manner through your pants belt loops holding your pants up. and then one under your pants but above your underwear . This one supported by suspenders and with all your EDC gear attached to. Gun, mags, knife, light, multitool. It would take a really stiff belt and be similar to a battle belt set up with suspenders, ]
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4500
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:42 am

I used a SmartCarry holster for awhile. I don't recommend it.

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7852
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by NT2C » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:22 am

flybynight wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:55 am
KJ4VOV wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:55 pm
flybynight wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:28 pm
Back when I was a much younger and thinner fbn I used to carry full size single stacks from 4 o'clock to sob , strong forward can't . Appendix carry otq?
ETA you are using a belt made as a gun belt right?
].

My biggest issue though is with the weight of all my EDC crap. Pistol, mags, keys, wallet, knife, meds, etc. all add up, and most of my weight (285lbs @ 6'2") is in my gut, so even a good heavy leather pistol belt tightened to unmerciful levels (which eliminates any possibility of IWB) struggles to keep me from mooning the general public, so I wear suspenders too, under my Hawaiian shirt or hoodie. You slim guys struggling to CCW may have to adopt a similar style of dress.

(on the plus side, I get a hella lot of compliments on my shirts)
Yea I remember us talking about this. I've wanted to try something that came to mind but just have not got around to it.
Back when elastic belly band holsters came out I played around with the idea. They worked but found them to be quite the nuisance. Based on what we talked about and my experiments with belly bands I got to wondering if wearing two belts. One in the normal manner through your pants belt loops holding your pants up. and then one under your pants but above your underwear . This one supported by suspenders and with all your EDC gear attached to. Gun, mags, knife, light, multitool. It would take a really stiff belt and be similar to a battle belt set up with suspenders, ]
I'm trying to visualize this the way you're visualizing it and failing. If the second belt, the one supported by the suspenders, is under your pants, that means everything attached to it is also under your pants, which makes access a bit of a problem, no? Also, with a holster on a conventionally worn belt and pants, when you draw from the holster the pants are what prevent the belt and holster from being pulled up and preventing the draw. With what you're suggesting I think there'd be a good chance, with a snug fitting holster, of trying to draw and having the holster and belt just ride up on you and wind up with the belt under your armpits and the gun still holstered. Not exactly the pose I'd want my corpse found in. :lol:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2897
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by flybynight » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:12 pm

Didn't say it was a fully realized idea . :oh: some kind of clip to keep it from pulling up? Practicing the armpit draw? I dunno I'll let you know.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9097
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by RickOShea » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:23 pm

Sounds like some of you Judys are just gonna have to hike-up yer skirts and get that man-purse....err...."European Carry All". :rofl:



Image





Just be careful your off-body carry bag doesn't get snatched...


Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2897
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by flybynight » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:17 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:23 pm
Sounds like some of you Judys are just gonna have to hike-up yer skirts and get that man-purse....err...."European Carry All". :rofl:



Image





Just be careful your off-body carry bag doesn't get snatched...


Image
It's a Kilt sicko
Image
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2897
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by flybynight » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:23 pm

Plus if I did wear a dress I'd be strapped in style... Just cause

Image
Last edited by flybynight on Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3162
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:41 pm

For me...

I was wearing a 1.5 inch wide webbing belt. I have a leather belt about as wide that I can try.

I'm realizing the leather thumb break makes the back of the pistol WAY wider and causes more printing.

Wearing the pistol in the small of the back (5-6 o'clock) helps it disappear.

My CCW instructor suggested overshirts rather than just t-shirts. That is what I'll have to try. OWB and outer shirts. I know pocket carry is handy, and I can do that. The pistol still prints in my pants. There is not much fabric there.

I have carried a 3 inch .38 Rossi and a 1 7/8 inch S&W. The Rossie was fairly easy to conceal with just a t-shirt (still printed a little), but the S&W was the easiest to carry and be discreet with it's 2 finger grips and short barrel. I think wood grips would have been even more discreet. It road deep in appendix carry and had an open top cheap POS Blackhawk holster.

20/20 hindsight, I kinda wish I had not sold the S&W, but I love my LC9. I love the gun and I love the ammo. I'm pretty sure I'll get another snub at some point, but further down the line.

And I need to start learning holsters and probably just always wear 2 shirts. My wife says my fixed blade knife keeps displaying itself, so I probably need more concealment anyway. And I probably won't have my weapon in a perfect fast-draw position. But CCW is already a basket of compromises.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4500
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:58 pm

I wear a 5-year postal belt. I have since I was a teenager. I carry appendix. I am round. I print loudly when I sit. :(

User avatar
MacWa77ace
* * * * *
Posts: 1948
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:39 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.
Location: South East Florida
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by MacWa77ace » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:48 am

flybynight wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:17 pm
RickOShea wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:23 pm
Sounds like some of you Judys are just gonna have to hike-up yer skirts and get that man-purse....err...."European Carry All". :rofl:



Image





Just be careful your off-body carry bag doesn't get snatched...


Image
It's a Kilt sicko
Image
Image
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel


Image
Image

User avatar
the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 5988
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:51 pm
Location: Not Here.

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by the_alias » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:48 pm

Looking at getting a 6.5 Grendel AR upper for hunting - hit me with some recommended manufacturers for accuracy please? :D
Man is a beast of prey

User avatar
Brekar
* *
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:22 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...
Location: Earth

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by Brekar » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:26 pm

For those talking about proper belts for a holster, I use this belt with my Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe to conceal a full sized M&P Pro .40. Between the 2 together I can carry it all day and never print in the least. I'm 6'2" 280 for reference.

Bullhide Gunbelt...

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7852
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by NT2C » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Brekar wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:26 pm
For those talking about proper belts for a holster, I use this belt with my Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe to conceal a full sized M&P Pro .40. Between the 2 together I can carry it all day and never print in the least. I'm 6'2" 280 for reference.

Bullhide Gunbelt...
Almost identical to my belt. Combined with an OWB leather pancake holster and a Hawaiian shirt I can carry my full sized SAR B6P or my Shield 45 without any printing problems. I'm 6'2" 285, so almost your twin.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2897
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by flybynight » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:59 am

NT2C wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:07 pm
Brekar wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:26 pm
For those talking about proper belts for a holster, I use this belt with my Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe to conceal a full sized M&P Pro .40. Between the 2 together I can carry it all day and never print in the least. I'm 6'2" 280 for reference.

Bullhide Gunbelt...
Almost identical to my belt. Combined with an OWB leather pancake holster and a Hawaiian shirt I can carry my full sized SAR B6P or my Shield 45 without any printing problems. I'm 6'2" 285, so almost your twin.
I have a 14 oz mulehide ccw belt that's the cat's meow. But it's too nice to wear to work or crawling under a car ect. So day in day out I wear this
https://www.amazon.com/DeSantis-Steel-B ... B073D6K36G
Won't last as long. Not as nice but plenty good to conceal carry
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9097
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by RickOShea » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:28 pm

Hmm.....wonder when, or if, this will wend it's way to the top?

(Reuters) U.S. appeals court upholds right to carry gun in public
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Locked

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”