Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Locked
User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17058
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by raptor » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:15 pm

flybynight wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:19 pm
KJ4VOV wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:10 pm
flybynight wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:49 am
You thread drifters ought to be ashamed of yourselves
We're chatting about firearms, aren't we? :mrgreen:
Oh I know. I just didn't really have anything to add and one of the things on my bucket list was to accuse someone else of thread drifting . So nothing but win for me.

:lol: with extra points for trolling a mod and catching a mod thread drifting ... :lol: :clap:


It is a chat thread but you are right lets move the chat back on topic.

These guys have used S&W model 64 trade ins for sale for $279. I bought one the last time they were on sale and they great for a DA K frame revolver.
https://www.southernohiogun.com/

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7486
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:00 pm

Wait, Southern Ohio Guns is still around ?

I thought they went out of business a few years back.

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 3314
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by flybynight » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:30 pm

raptor wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:15 pm
flybynight wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:19 pm
KJ4VOV wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:10 pm
flybynight wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:49 am
You thread drifters ought to be ashamed of yourselves
We're chatting about firearms, aren't we? :mrgreen:
Oh I know. I just didn't really have anything to add and one of the things on my bucket list was to accuse someone else of thread drifting . So nothing but win for me.

:lol: with extra points for trolling a mod and catching a mod thread drifting ... :lol: :clap:


It is a chat thread but you are right lets move the chat back on topic.

These guys have used S&W model 64 trade ins for sale for $279. I bought one the last time they were on sale and they great for a DA K frame revolver.
https://www.southernohiogun.com/
They also have the DA/SA / I think it it was last month they had the same guns for 250 or somewhere right around that price, It was hard not to give them my cc number. They also have those european style Beretta 92's for under 250. Those are the ones with the heel mag release. I like those too.

http://www.southernohiogun.com/gallery/ ... s-9mm.html
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17058
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by raptor » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:50 pm

The S&W 64 I bought was $289. The bobbed hammer ones were about $30 cheaper. My purchase was quite satisfactory.

The Beretta 92s offered here are not as nice as others elsewhere but these are about $30 to $40 cheaper so I would expect more wear.

I also bought a 92s from Aimsurplus. Mine was great. It was clearly used but quite serviceable. I have no problem finding magazines for this version. The heel release is easy to get used to but I use it only as a shooter.

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17058
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by raptor » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:52 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:00 pm
Wait, Southern Ohio Guns is still around ?

I thought they went out of business a few years back.
They are still around but my FFL hates them and will not buy from them. He said he had some issues with them. Caveat emptor. My one purchase went without a hitch.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7486
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:15 pm

raptor wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:52 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:00 pm
Wait, Southern Ohio Guns is still around ?

I thought they went out of business a few years back.
They are still around but my FFL hates them and will not buy from them. He said he had some issues with them. Caveat emptor. My one purchase went without a hitch.
My FFL guy says the same thing about Bud's. He never expands on why he dislikes them, though.

I've never ordered from them (I mostly use them for price comparisons), but I know a few guys local to me who have and they've all had very good dealings with Bud's.

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9427
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by RickOShea » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:28 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:15 pm

My FFL guy says the same thing about Bud's. He never expands on why he dislikes them, though.

I've never ordered from them (I mostly use them for price comparisons), but I know a few guys local to me who have and they've all had very good dealings with Bud's.
And as I've posted before, I've ordered a dozen guns from Buds over the last few years and have never had a problem. Once, during the height of one of the panics, it took almost two weeks for my LGS to get a gun I'd ordered (instead of the usual 3 or 4 days).....but Buds had a notice at the top of their site stating that there would be shipping delays due to higher than usual order volume, so it wasn't a surprise.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9427
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by RickOShea » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:33 pm

NEW: Palmetto State Armory PSA 9mm AKV

"Coming this fall from Palmetto State Armory: the PSA 9mm AKV, an American-made 9x19mm Parabellum Vityaz. The Vityaz is a Russian AK design based on the AK-74. For the AK lovers among us this should be a serious hit....

The PSA 9mm AKV will feature a variety of solid features including a folding brace – because it is a pistol, after all – that’s been approved by the ATF and will be made by SB Tactical exclusively for Palmetto State Armory. It will be available with more than one furniture option but the wood furniture happens to be my personal favorite. The gun is fed by Scorpion magazines."




Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
brothaman
* * * * *
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: SC

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by brothaman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:12 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:00 pm
brothaman wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:28 pm
Welp. Just bought a 475 Linebaugh revolver. Ridiculous Big Bore revolver ticked off my bucket list. :|
Nice! I always wanted a .480 Ruger... Is the barrel ported? I was shooting a .460 and with a ported barrel it handled better than most .44 magnums.
NAh. Its got a custom frame to keep the guard off your knuckle and has a 6-6.5 inch barrel,.. I think. I plan to load in the 480 range. Honestly, 480 didn't feel much different than 44 mag to me and loading down the longer 475 case should reduce that a little more. I likely load some strong 475s for gits and shiggles but those won't be the norm. I should have it this week.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

User avatar
brothaman
* * * * *
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: SC

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by brothaman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:15 am

RickOShea wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:18 pm
brothaman wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:28 pm
Welp. Just bought a 475 Linebaugh revolver. Ridiculous Big Bore revolver ticked off my bucket list. :|
Ruger is bringing back the No. 1 rifle in that caliber...….Maybe 2019 will be the "Year of the .475 Linebaugh".Image
Lol. 475 Game Chain-jah!!

I bought mine more for the gun and less for the caliber. I would have been just as happy with a 480 or 44 mag or something in 45. But I do like the 475 as a cartridge.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9427
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by RickOShea » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:15 pm

The STI International Costa Carry Comp....reported to be the .45 that "Thomas Magnum" will be sporting in the Magnum P.I. reboot.

Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 14250
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Safe On Base

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by Stercutus » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:38 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:15 pm
raptor wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:52 pm
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:00 pm
Wait, Southern Ohio Guns is still around ?

I thought they went out of business a few years back.
They are still around but my FFL hates them and will not buy from them. He said he had some issues with them. Caveat emptor. My one purchase went without a hitch.
My FFL guy says the same thing about Bud's. He never expands on why he dislikes them, though.

I've never ordered from them (I mostly use them for price comparisons), but I know a few guys local to me who have and they've all had very good dealings with Bud's.
Bud's is the low cost leader in the gun world. If they have stuff on sale you likely won't find it cheaper anywhere else. A lot of gun dealers hate Bud's.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 3762
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by woodsghost » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:52 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:33 pm
NEW: Palmetto State Armory PSA 9mm AKV

"Coming this fall from Palmetto State Armory: the PSA 9mm AKV, an American-made 9x19mm Parabellum Vityaz. The Vityaz is a Russian AK design based on the AK-74. For the AK lovers among us this should be a serious hit....

The PSA 9mm AKV will feature a variety of solid features including a folding brace – because it is a pistol, after all – that’s been approved by the ATF and will be made by SB Tactical exclusively for Palmetto State Armory. It will be available with more than one furniture option but the wood furniture happens to be my personal favorite. The gun is fed by Scorpion magazines."




Image
Wow! That is stunning. And I have to call BS on the brace. I have a friend who jokes about braces and how they are really SBRs. That one in the pic looks like it really is a stock. It does not look like it could even function as a brace. I like shorter guns, but try not to get stupid, people. No need to attract more regulations.

I like the idea of Scorpion mags. That seems smart.

The wood is beautiful.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
Halfapint
* * * * *
Posts: 4030
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:41 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?
Location: Central Cascadia

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by Halfapint » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:54 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:52 pm
Wow! That is stunning. And I have to call BS on the brace. I have a friend who jokes about braces and how they are really SBRs. That one in the pic looks like it really is a stock. It does not look like it could even function as a brace. I like shorter guns, but try not to get stupid, people. No need to attract more regulations.

I like the idea of Scorpion mags. That seems smart.

The wood is beautiful.
Looking at it, the back seems to have a Velcro strap on it that would function as a brace. However I agree, I want a brace, I even ordered a KAK blade, but with how things are going I have no idea if some ossifer say nope and holds me for a few hours while they look for something to pin against me.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 8942
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by NT2C » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:49 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:33 pm
NEW: Palmetto State Armory PSA 9mm AKV

"Coming this fall from Palmetto State Armory: the PSA 9mm AKV, an American-made 9x19mm Parabellum Vityaz. The Vityaz is a Russian AK design based on the AK-74. For the AK lovers among us this should be a serious hit....

The PSA 9mm AKV will feature a variety of solid features including a folding brace – because it is a pistol, after all – that’s been approved by the ATF and will be made by SB Tactical exclusively for Palmetto State Armory. It will be available with more than one furniture option but the wood furniture happens to be my personal favorite. The gun is fed by Scorpion magazines."




Image
Gonna be a bitch to find a holster for it so I can CCW it... :crazy: :ooh:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 3762
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:33 am

KJ4VOV wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:49 pm
Gonna be a bitch to find a holster for it so I can CCW it... :crazy: :ooh:
With the right pants it will be fine.

Image
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
brothaman
* * * * *
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: SC

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by brothaman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:51 am

WOOT WOOT! Got my 475!!

Image
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7486
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:29 am

That's a nice looking revolver, Brothaman. :clap:

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 6275
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:34 am

I just bought some SD insurance. USCCA. (shrug emoji). & ('meh' emoji).

User avatar
JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 2562
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:49 am
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations
Location: Yo Momma's House

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:56 am

That PSA 9mm is sick!

Also, I'm trying to sell a bunch of my firearms collection to downsize. If anyone is in the Pittsburgh area, and wants some toys, let me know. I will probably consider shipping as well to a trusted ZS member.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9427
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:00 pm

brothaman wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:51 am
WOOT WOOT! Got my 475!!
Nice. 5 shot cylinder?
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
brothaman
* * * * *
Posts: 1041
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: SC

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by brothaman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:53 pm

RickOShea wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:00 pm
brothaman wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:51 am
WOOT WOOT! Got my 475!!
Nice. 5 shot cylinder?
Si'. Got fat box of lead en route. I'm stoked.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator
Posts: 8942
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by NT2C » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:55 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:56 am
That PSA 9mm is sick!

Also, I'm trying to sell a bunch of my firearms collection to downsize. If anyone is in the Pittsburgh area, and wants some toys, let me know. I will probably consider shipping as well to a trusted ZS member.
I'm not that far from you and know a good FFL I can count on. Shoot me a list of what you think you'll be giving up and maybe we can work something out.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 17058
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by raptor » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:39 pm

I posted this link to ammunition testing by lucky gunner in a previous thread.


It is one of the best such gel test I have seen. I am not saying it the ne plus ultra all questions answered test but is a very consistent set of tests on a wide variety of ammo in .380, 9x19, .40 S&W, .45 ACP here:
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-d ... tic-tests/

As well as .38 spl and .357 (note the latter include 2 inch and 4 inch barrel results which is really quite interesting) here:
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolv ... tics-test/

Now Lucky Gunner recently posted 10mm results which again is interesting.
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/10mm-a ... gel-tests/


Here is their commentary on the 10mm tests vs. the .40 S&W tests.
https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/10mm-self-defense/

Locked

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”