Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by RickOShea » Tue May 15, 2018 7:12 pm

New Ruger GP100 10mm Match Champion

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue May 15, 2018 10:00 pm

Quick question for those of y'all who use Pmags.

I picked up a couple Gen M2 Pmags and from what I can tell, you're supposed to use a little top cover thing when you leave Pmags stored loaded otherwise they'll crack.

Problem is, my Pmags didn't come with the little top cover thing. So now I'm concerned that they'll crack if I leave them loaded long term without it.

ETA: I'm going to pick up a bunch of metal AR mags as well, so if I have to, I'll keep the metal mags loaded and just load the Pmags when I need to.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Tue May 15, 2018 10:05 pm

Unless somebody changed the definition, those little covers are dust covers--more a bonus than a necessity if you're worried about getting shmutz in your mags.

Never heard of them cracking for any reason aside from abuse and misuse.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue May 15, 2018 10:28 pm

Beowolf wrote:Unless somebody changed the definition, those little covers are dust covers--more a bonus than a necessity if you're worried about getting shmutz in your mags.

Never heard of them cracking for any reason aside from abuse and misuse.
That's the name I was thinking of. No clue why I said "top cover". :lol:

And given the fact my mags will probably spend most of their time sitting in an ammo can, it's not likely that I'll have to worry about dirt or other crud getting into them. Unless I drop them at the range or get really lazy about cleaning that is.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed May 16, 2018 6:35 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Quick question for those of y'all who use Pmags.

I picked up a couple Gen M2 Pmags and from what I can tell, you're supposed to use a little top cover thing when you leave Pmags stored loaded otherwise they'll crack.

Problem is, my Pmags didn't come with the little top cover thing. So now I'm concerned that they'll crack if I leave them loaded long term without it.

ETA: I'm going to pick up a bunch of metal AR mags as well, so if I have to, I'll keep the metal mags loaded and just load the Pmags when I need to.
IIRC, there were some issues with the early Pmags splitting, and people convinced themselves the dust covers would help avoid that. My understanding is they did take pressure off the feed lips, but the splitting was mostly coming from the rounds banging up into the lips as they fed, so the dust covers were more a placebo than anything.

I've never owned a Pmag, so take all that with appropriate salt. (Nothing against Pmags; I got a bunch of GI mags with all the fixin's for pretty cheap.)

Bearcat

Post by Bearcat » Wed May 16, 2018 8:21 pm

https://www.spicetac.com/products/banan ... tle-opener

What a waste of resources and money.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed May 16, 2018 9:21 pm

Mum shoots and kills armed robber outside school's Mother's Day lunch
An off-duty military police officer shot and killed a would-be armed robber as she was attending a Mother's Day luncheon with her seven-year-old daughter in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Footage of the incident shows the man pointing a handgun at a group of women and children outside a school.

The off-duty officer, named as Katia da Silva Sastre, pulls out her own weapon and shoots him in the chest at close range.

He falls to the ground and she kicks his gun away from his reach.

The suspect fired his weapon twice but did not harm anyone and died later of his injuries, local reports said.

The Sao Paulo State Government held a special ceremony for Ms da Silva Sastre, who was attending the event at the Colegio Ferreira Master school in Suzano.

"These people [criminals] get out of control easily," said the 20-year veteran as she received flowers.

"I did not know if his reaction would be to shoot the kids or the mother or the guard at the school door.

"I just thought about defending mothers, children and my own life and my own daughter."

Parts of Brazil are known for high crime rates but Sao Paulo's murder rate reportedly dropped last year.

DFAT's Smart Traveller website says "the incidence of violent crime, including muggings, armed robbery, kidnappings and sexual assault, is high. Thieves are often armed".
Pics at the website.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed May 16, 2018 9:47 pm

The video won't play for me on some sites....here's the YT...

Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu May 17, 2018 6:50 am

boskone wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Quick question for those of y'all who use Pmags.

IIRC, there were some issues with the early Pmags splitting, and people convinced themselves the dust covers would help avoid that. My understanding is they did take pressure off the feed lips, but the splitting was mostly coming from the rounds banging up into the lips as they fed, so the dust covers were more a placebo than anything.

I've never owned a Pmag, so take all that with appropriate salt. (Nothing against Pmags; I got a bunch of GI mags with all the fixin's for pretty cheap.)
I hadn't heard about the splitting issue, but boskone is correct about taking the pressure off the feed lips. From what I recall, MagPul figured that magazine feed lips that have been spread too far apart are one cause of mag-related failure (leading to double feeds because the mag can't hold onto the rounds properly), and that pressure on the lips from being stored in the loaded condition can cause the lips to spread. So they came up with their dust covers that push down on the rounds a bit, to take the pressure off the feed lips.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu May 17, 2018 11:20 am

Hi-Point 10mm Carbine the new 1095

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Thu May 17, 2018 1:48 pm

RickOShea wrote:Hi-Point 10mm Carbine the new 1095

I just watched that today on the kommode... I love my 45 carbine. It jams with 255gr +P hardcasts, but runs decent with hollowpoints. Not bad for a smallish medium game hunting rifle if I wanted to.

That 10mm is pretty slick but the random accuracy issues scare me. Probably the plastic fantastic mounting rails.

On a side note, I stopped by Copper Customs once when I was living in Indiana to see if I could meet Tim. He wasn't there that day, but it is a cool shop that deals mostly super high end ARs and AKs.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu May 17, 2018 2:19 pm

Regarding the video of the Brazilian mom taking down the would-be robber, I noticed that she appeared to fire twice into his chest and the robber went down quickly. Looked like he wasn't expecting any resistance and expected an easy score.

The article states he fired twice, but I never saw him get a shot off. Only one I saw shoot was the off-duty cop lady.

I also noticed she almost got run over by one of the panicking mothers. Thankfully, the red car stopped quickly before she got injured.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu May 17, 2018 7:35 pm

Ugh.Image

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu May 17, 2018 7:41 pm

Ugh is right...

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu May 17, 2018 7:46 pm

Does anyone here have day-in, day-out experience with ankle holsters?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu May 17, 2018 8:39 pm

RickOShea wrote:Ugh.Image

Of all the old TV shows to reboot, why did they have to pick this one ?

Weren't there any others they could've picked ? Like "The Facts of Life" or maybe "Mama's Family" ?

Tom Selleck is and always will be Magnum P.I. to a lot of folks.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu May 17, 2018 10:11 pm

Reboot The A Team, but this time give them actual bullets, not just blanks.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu May 17, 2018 10:35 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:Reboot The A Team, but this time give them actual bullets, not just blanks.
Strangely enough, I'd actually watch a reboot of "The A Team".

Although, knowing how badly Hollywood can botch a reboot, they'd probably find some way to make it suck. :gonk:

Also, I wonder how badly this reboot of "Magnum P.I." will suck and how many episodes they'll get in before it gets cancelled.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri May 18, 2018 9:05 am

Does this get counted as another Parkland school shooting?

Ammo Box Falls from Military Chopper, Crashes Into School

EL PASO, Texas (AP) — Authorities are trying to determine how a box of ammunition fell from a military helicopter and crashed through the roof of an elementary school in Texas.

The Ysleta Independent School District says no one was injured when the ammo box hit Parkland Elementary School in El Paso on Thursday afternoon. The ammo box left a hole in the roof and caused a power outage in part of the building.

Officials at nearby Fort Bliss say they’ll reassess flight patterns as part of their investigation.

In a statement, 1st Armored Division Combat Aviation Brigade commander Col. Jay Hopkins said he was sorry for the damage and grateful no one was hurt.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri May 18, 2018 9:18 am

Hmmm....I take it that they box was not empty.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Fri May 18, 2018 9:44 am

MPMalloy wrote:Does anyone here have day-in, day-out experience with ankle holsters?
Not really, but I BRIEFLY used a cheaper (something universal, De Santis probably) ankle holster a few years ago with a Sig p290 RS. I wholly blame the holster, but it was near impossible to keep properly situated on my leg - constantly sliding down, rotating, etc.

I ended up getting rid of the Sig for other reasons so the holster went too and I never went back to it... Unsure if you were looking for general advise or what, but I'd toss out that a good holster you can walk with for extended periods is a must - if you have some buddies that have some to try, I'd do it. Sounds silly, but if you can try some on at a store and do jumping jacks or something to give it a good test beyond walking 20 feet and back I'd recommend it.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri May 18, 2018 9:49 am

Shooting Now 'Contained' At High School Near Houston; Injuries Confirmed
May 18, 201810:06 AM ET By Bill Chappell Updated at 10:38 a.m. ET

Police were called to Santa Fe High School after shots were reportedly fired on Friday morning.

A shooting was reported at a high school near Houston on Friday morning, with local media reporting that a gunman entered Santa Fe High School and began firing. The school was put on lockdown, but the situation is now "contained," officials say. Several witnesses said the attacker was armed with a shotgun.

The Santa Fe Independent School District issued an update stating:
"This morning an incident occurred at the high school involving an active shooter. The situation is active, but has been contained. There have been confirmed injuries. Details will be released as we receive updated information. Law enforcement will continue to secure the building and initiate all emergency management protocols to release and move students to another location. All other campuses are operating under their regular schedules."
The shooting in Santa Fe, Texas, reportedly began before 8 a.m. local time. It's not yet clear what the status of the gunman is. Several ambulances and Life Flight medevac helicopters were called to the school.

Citing a parent who was at the school, local TV ABC 13 reported that a number of ambulances left the school carrying wounded people.

A student at the school told the station she had been sitting in art class when someone entered with a gun and began firing. The student said she fled — and that she saw a student who had been wounded in the leg.

Another student named Paige told the station that she was in a classroom a few doors down from where the shooting started.

"I heard really loud booms, and I didn't know what they were at first," she said, adding that she realized what the sounds were after she heard students screaming.

Paige said she and others took shelter in an area behind a stage, after being told to wait before trying to leave immediately. The student said that she and others had trouble staying calm – but that there was not a moment when she felt like what happened wasn't real.

"It's been happening everywhere," Paige said. "I always felt like eventually it would happen here. I wasn't surprised, I was just scared."

Officers from the Galveston County Sheriff's Office and the nearby Harris County Sheriff's Office responded to the scene; so did agents from the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

As they exited the school, students left behind their backpacks to be checked by police, and then filed onto a nearby grassy area alongside row of school buses. Images from the scene showed that some students were then searched by officers.

The same school was the site of a false alarm about a shooting back in February. In that case, students and teachers reported hearing "popping sounds" outside, as Houston Public Media reported.

This is a breaking news story. As often happens in situations like these, some information reported early may turn out to be inaccurate. We'll move quickly to correct the record and we'll only point to the best information we have at the time.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri May 18, 2018 9:51 am

00dlez wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:Does anyone here have day-in, day-out experience with ankle holsters?
Not really, but I BRIEFLY used a cheaper (something universal, De Santis probably) ankle holster a few years ago with a Sig p290 RS. I wholly blame the holster, but it was near impossible to keep properly situated on my leg - constantly sliding down, rotating, etc.

I ended up getting rid of the Sig for other reasons so the holster went too and I never went back to it... Unsure if you were looking for general advise or what, but I'd toss out that a good holster you can walk with for extended periods is a must - if you have some buddies that have some to try, I'd do it. Sounds silly, but if you can try some on at a store and do jumping jacks or something to give it a good test beyond walking 20 feet and back I'd recommend it.
Thank you. I am looking for a way to carry my G26, along with my G19 as my primary.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Fri May 18, 2018 10:26 am

MPMalloy wrote:
00dlez wrote:

Thank you. I am looking for a way to carry my G26, along with my G19 as my primary.
Again, far from an expert, but especially with the bulkier G26, I'd definitely encourage some due diligence with holster selection - Loaded that's 1.6 lbs tied to your ankle, any running or extended periods of activity will need something strong to lock that down and keep it where you need it.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”