Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by NT2C » Sun May 06, 2018 12:25 pm

Am I a bad person because I want to take Barney the Dinosaur cake pans and use them to make ballistic gelatin targets?
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun May 06, 2018 12:28 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:Am I a bad person because I want to take Barney the Dinosaur cake pans and use them to make ballistic gelatin targets?
Are you going to add the colors? Purple, green, and yellow?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun May 06, 2018 1:21 pm

woodsghost wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:Am I a bad person because I want to take Barney the Dinosaur cake pans and use them to make ballistic gelatin targets?
I don't know. Can you do that with ballistics gel?

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun May 06, 2018 1:40 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun May 06, 2018 2:34 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
I think the simplest way would be to use clear gelatin and put a paper or plastic image on the back/flat part.

Another idea would be to make several different batches of colored gelatin and cut them up and piece them together on your master molded copy.

It probably just depends on how much time you want to put into it. :)

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sun May 06, 2018 3:09 pm

woodsghost wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
I think the simplest way would be to use clear gelatin and put a paper or plastic image on the back/flat part.

Another idea would be to make several different batches of colored gelatin and cut them up and piece them together on your master molded copy.

It probably just depends on how much time you want to put into it. :)
Unless automatic weapons were involved I think I'd go simple. Full auto would demand full color though. Maybe even with entrails.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun May 06, 2018 4:06 pm

I forget what the company name is, but there's a place in the UK that makes ballistic gel torsos with bones and organs. I've seen them used on Forged in Fire during the final tests and looked them up.

They're pretty expensive at close to 400 bucks a pop, though.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun May 06, 2018 6:10 pm

For $400 you can buy swine all day long for the same purpose and have bacon, ham and pork roast at the end of the shoot. Now they may be somewhat shredded but ...hey it's bacon.

Edited to add. The swine should be swiftly euthanized before testing with a head shot.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun May 06, 2018 6:29 pm

raptor wrote:For $400 you can buy swine all day long for the same purpose and have bacon, ham and pork roast at the end of the shoot. Now they may be somewhat shredded but ...hey it's bacon.

Edited to add. The swine should be swiftly euthanized before testing with a head shot.
Hard to put that on TV though. I agree, having some food at the end of that would be rather useful. I think hog hunting is a pretty useful testing ground.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun May 06, 2018 8:41 pm

raptor wrote:For $400 you can buy swine all day long for the same purpose and have bacon, ham and pork roast at the end of the shoot. Now they may be somewhat shredded but ...hey it's bacon.

Shredded bacon is still bacon. Well, it's more like bacon bits, but still. :lol:

And I like bacon. :D

I'm pretty sure I can find a land owner or farmer out here who wouldn't mind some extra cash and help trying to eradicate the feral hog problem.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun May 06, 2018 8:49 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Shredded bacon is still bacon. Well, it's more like bacon bits, but still. :lol:

I'm pretty sure I can find a land owner or farmer out here who wouldn't mind some extra cash and help trying to eradicate the feral hog problem.
If I had that here I'd be all over the opportunity. But we just have a few coyotes. And while they are edible, I understand most chose not to.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun May 06, 2018 8:53 pm

woodsghost wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

If I had that here I'd be all over the opportunity. But we just have a few coyotes. And while they are edible, I understand most chose not to.
Coyotes are an issue here too, Woodsghost. Farmers out here routinely carry rifles in their tractors to deal with them when they pop up.

And you're more than welcome to come to Texas and help out with the feral hog problem, by the way. We can always use a few more shooters in the fields. :D

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 07, 2018 7:05 am

When I was in Texas we offset the cost of the deer lease by trapping hogs live eating corn from the feeders and then selling them live to the local Mexican Restaurants. I want to say they went for about $.50 a pound. You could harvest them if you wanted to but most were there for the deer.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Mon May 07, 2018 1:03 pm

When I went to ROTC Advanced Camp at Ft Lewis (circa 1995), they used a stuffed Barney in a boot to demonstrate the 'toe popper' mine.

The winner of the best platoon for the day (fastest construction of 10m of triple standard concertina obstacle) got Barney's head.

We impaled it on the tip of our guidon and kept it there the rest of camp. :twisted:
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon May 07, 2018 1:32 pm

I like T/C (and their crazy rebates), but the ole Ruger 10/22 will be tough to topple. Interesting to see what aftermarket support they can get. I like it. But their MSRP seems a little high, even though no one pays MSRP.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon May 07, 2018 3:47 pm

Langenator wrote:
When I went to ROTC Advanced Camp at Ft Lewis (circa 1995), they used a stuffed Barney in a boot to demonstrate the 'toe popper' mine.

The winner of the best platoon for the day (fastest construction of 10m of triple standard concertina obstacle) got Barney's head.

We impaled it on the tip of our guidon and kept it there the rest of camp. :twisted:
You... GLORIOUS BASTARDS!

I think I love you guys.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon May 07, 2018 4:31 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:I like T/C (and their crazy rebates), but the ole Ruger 10/22 will be tough to topple. Interesting to see what aftermarket support they can get. I like it. But their MSRP seems a little high, even though no one pays MSRP.
Since the T/CR 22 is "Compatible with most aftermarket 10/22® parts and accessories".....the aftermarket support should be pretty decent. :crazy:

But I believe the point of the T/C is to offer an out-of-the-box 10/22 with a lot of the most desirable aftermarket upgrades already on it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 07, 2018 5:17 pm

RickOShea wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like T/C (and their crazy rebates), but the ole Ruger 10/22 will be tough to topple. Interesting to see what aftermarket support they can get. I like it. But their MSRP seems a little high, even though no one pays MSRP.
Since the T/CR 22 is "Compatible with most aftermarket 10/22® parts and accessories".....the aftermarket support should be pretty decent. :crazy:

But I believe the point of the T/C is to offer an out-of-the-box 10/22 with a lot of the most desirable aftermarket upgrades already on it.
Yep, ext charging handle, ext mag release, scope base plate, FO sight. That is about $60 right there. Thing is Ruger could drop their prices and saturate the market quickly if they wanted to crush them.
You go over and under
I go through

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon May 07, 2018 5:32 pm

Stercutus wrote:
RickOShea wrote:

Yep, ext charging handle, ext mag release, scope base plate, FO sight.....
....rear peep sight, threaded barrel, BHO mags, upgraded trigger.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 07, 2018 5:45 pm

the threaded barrel is a pretty significant upgrade. That can cost $50-150 to have a shop do it. Trigger might be a wash. .22lr stock triggers are not all that bad normally.

I think the value is there. Pay more - Get more. Not everyone wants more.
You go over and under
I go through

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon May 07, 2018 10:55 pm

Mossberg’s Shockwave Now Available In Softer-Shooting .410 Bore

"A .410 Shockwave gives you Mossy’s venerable 590 receiver design (with the safety right where God intended it) and a six-round capacity. With all of the .410 loads available now, thanks to guns like the Taurus Judge and S&W Governor (think Winchester PDX1 or Federal Premium Personal Defense), there’s a nice selection of effective personal defense ammo to choose from."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue May 08, 2018 3:35 am

RickOShea wrote:Mossberg’s Shockwave Now Available In Softer-Shooting .410 Bore

"A .410 Shockwave gives you Mossy’s venerable 590 receiver design (with the safety right where God intended it) and a six-round capacity. With all of the .410 loads available now, thanks to guns like the Taurus Judge and S&W Governor (think Winchester PDX1 or Federal Premium Personal Defense), there’s a nice selection of effective personal defense ammo to choose from."

And I was just thinking the other day; "How could the Shockwave be even less useful?" With .410 it is essentially a 26" long pistol that requires two hands to operate.

But scary looking.
You go over and under
I go through

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Tue May 08, 2018 10:23 am

Stercutus wrote:

And I was just thinking the other day; "How could the Shockwave be even less useful?" With .410 it is essentially a 26" long pistol that requires two hands to operate.

But scary looking.
We haven't hit the bottom of the barrel yet. I'm holding out for the .410 with a chainsaw grip and their "road blocker" muzzle brake.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Moderator
ZS Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue May 08, 2018 11:43 am

yossarian wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

But scary looking.
We haven't hit the bottom of the barrel yet. I'm holding out for the .410 with a chainsaw grip and their "road blocker" muzzle brake.
Add in one of those goofy looking box mags they have on their 12 gauge models and you'll be set. :lol:

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”