Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:41 pm

This didn't take long.

From Wikipedia: Nashville Waffle House shooting

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:43 pm

I doubt the dad will be charged. Illinois revoked his permit but Tennessee does not require a permit to possess guns. If the son was living in the Southern state and the guns were legally his, then there would likely be no law violation.

I don't think Waffle House has any more shootings than any other restaurant that is open 24/7. Many of their customers are intoxicated on drugs and alcohol in the later hours especially on the weekends. I can see why they would want to reduce the likelihood of having firearms there.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:47 pm

MPMalloy wrote:This didn't take long.

From Wikipedia: Nashville Waffle House shooting
The intent by a group of wikieditors is to post all mass shootings within 24 hours or less. I'll leave the reasoning alone.
You go over and under
I go through

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:55 pm

From NPR: Waffle House Murder Suspect Is In Custody
Nashville police tweeted that they have taken into custody the man suspected of opening fire and killing four people Sunday at a Waffle House in Tennessee.

Police said Monday afternoon that Travis Reinking was captured "moments ago." No further details were immediately released.
This story will be updated as the day progresses.

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:33 pm

Picked up a Henry Lever action .22 Carbine for $344 shipped. First time using Gunbroker...here is hoping it goes smoothly.
Man is a beast of prey

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:34 pm

the_alias wrote:Picked up a Henry Lever action .22 Carbine for $344 shipped. First time using Gunbroker...here is hoping it goes smoothly.
I never really had a problem on GB, but I'm an Armslist man. Face to face, I get to look it over first.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:00 pm

the_alias wrote:Picked up a Henry Lever action .22 Carbine for $344 shipped. First time using Gunbroker...here is hoping it goes smoothly.
Nice.

You get the one with the polished brass receiver or the plain blued one ?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:19 pm

I guess this one is for the yahoos who hold & point their cell phone like its a handgun....

TFB Review: WORLD’S 1ST PRODUCTION Ideal Conceal IC380

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:40 pm

I'd actually be intrigued by that if it locked with a key when folded up. It would then be in a locked case.
You go over and under
I go through

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:41 pm

Stercutus wrote:I'd actually be intrigued by that if it locked with a key when folded up. It would then be in a locked case.
Ditto... and definitely interested if it can be had in 9mm as alluded to at the end of the article.

Edit: more info here: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... al-pistol/

And here: https://www.idealconceal.com
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:06 pm

RickOShea wrote:I guess this one is for the yahoos who hold & point their cell phone like its a handgun....

TFB Review: WORLD’S 1ST PRODUCTION Ideal Conceal IC380

I'm all in as-is. I'm excited. If it is a reasonable price I think they will move a ton of those.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:18 pm

Model 89 Carbine 18" 500 S&W: "Whatever it is, it has to die". :D

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 pm

MPMalloy wrote:Model 89 Carbine 18" 500 S&W: "Whatever it is, it has to die". :D
Reminds me of dating a beautiful woman. Great to look at but very expensive.
You go over and under
I go through

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:05 pm

MPMalloy wrote:Model 89 Carbine 18" 500 S&W: "Whatever it is, it has to die". :D
It's more of a "Screw you, screw whatever's behind you and screw my shoulder." :lol:

Kind of like an M1 Garand chambered in .458 Winchester Magnum. It shouldn't exist, but it does and there's bound to be a few folks brave (or crazy) enough to want one.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:29 pm

I'm sure that there a number of them on the used market that were only fired once. :lol:

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:30 pm

MPMalloy wrote:I'm sure that there a number of them on the used market that were only fired once. :lol:
Reminds me of an article I read in "Guns & Ammo" about when the Model 29 .44 magnum first came out.

The article said that there was a few gun shops that had lightly used Model 29's that came with a fifty round box of ammo, minus a single round, because guys would buy the gun, shoot it once and go "Screw that."

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:41 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
It's more of a "Screw you, screw whatever's behind you and screw my shoulder." :lol:

Kind of like an M1 Garand chambered in .458 Winchester Magnum. It shouldn't exist, but it does and there's bound to be a few folks brave (or crazy) enough to want one.
If the old farts can shoot it....

Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:54 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/2 ... -yard.html

So a gentleman in Alabama killed a 820 pound hog with 3 rounds of .38.

We like to talk caliber here. I feel this is a great example of "shot placement matters more than caliber."

And he waited a day to weigh it, so it probably weighed more when it had more blood in it.

This suggests most guns will do their job if you are close enough and do your part.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:24 pm

RickOShea wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

If the old farts can shoot it....

Good point, Rick.

And I think it was that Gunblast video that brought the .500 S&W mag lever gun to my attention.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:28 am

Hogs have a well earned reputation of being in need of a tough bullet that holds together and penetrate deeply.

Now I've never seen an 800-pound one in my area. The ones in my area drop routinely when hit with a .357 180 grain Buffalo Bore out of a 16 inch barrel.

I have no doubt that a 38 special 158 grain round would be more than adequate for the hogs in my area assuming of course correct shot placement.

As for the lever action 50 S&W I've shot .444 as well as .45-70 lever actions with Buffalo Bore Ammunition. I have no experience with the the 50 but I suspect that the recoil from these other two rounds would be about equal. Recoil in those rifles are stout but manageable . The Buffalo Bore ".45-70 Magnum" are especially stout recoil wise.

I actually think this lever action in the 50 caliber S&W is probably more usable then in one of the 8 to 12 inch monstrosity revolvers. I'm being a bit judgemental here but excuse me if your revolver needs a bipod, perhaps you need a rifle.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:56 am

And here I am, just waiting for one of those new Marlin Trapper SS levers.....in piddly lil' .357 magnum. Image

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:18 pm

RickOShea wrote:And here I am, just waiting for one of those new Marlin Trapper SS levers.....in piddly lil' .357 magnum. Image

Is that a threaded barrel? I bet that has all sorts of cool things it can do :D I'm more interested in that than in a 500 S&W. For one, I"ll get more use out of it.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:42 pm

woodsghost wrote:Is that a threaded barrel? I bet that has all sorts of cool things it can do :D I'm more interested in that than in a 500 S&W. For one, I"ll get more use out of it.
Yup, threaded barrel. One of the early gun blogs said it had a polymer stock, which I really liked the idea of. But the Marlin site says that it's painted hardwood.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:25 pm

RickOShea wrote:And here I am, just waiting for one of those new Marlin Trapper SS levers.....in piddly lil' .357 magnum. Image

If I hadn't have sold my GP100 today, I'd be all over one of those.

So now I'm on the hunt for a replacement for my now gone GP100. I'm thinking either a Glock 17 or maybe a Ruger American in 9mm.

I might go with the Glock 17 since there's a ton of aftermarket support for it and parts are easily available. I do know I'll be picking up some stuff for my AR as well. Mags and ammo are number one on the list.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”