Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by RickOShea » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:59 am

raptor wrote:That said I have never understood the appeal of a bump stock.
Or the necessity...

http://www.facebook.com/militaryarms/vi ... 376300053/
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:00 pm

raptor wrote:That said I have never understood the appeal of a bump stock.
I bought one years ago, attached it, shot it once, hated it, and then threw it away. I'm always up for anything that "pushes the limits" but it wasn't accurate, sustained fire was unwieldy and over all didn't do anything except send money down the barrel faster.

It sucks the company is going out of business, but don't be a one trick pony.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:53 pm

What really sucks is the reason why the company is shutting down: that the ATF is most likely going to reclassify "rate increasing devices" like bump stocks as being afoul of "machine gun" regs. That's going to open a pretty big door....You can shoot 5 - 6 rounds per second with a stock mil-spec trigger, but you can fire 8 - 9 shots per second with a Geissele trigger? Then your Geissele trigger is also a "rate increasing device". With a bunch of 10 round mags (and decent speed reloads) you can get off around 100 shots in 60 seconds, but with 30 round mags (and fewer reloads) you can fire around 180 shots in 60 seconds? Then your 30 round mags are also "rate increasing devices"....and so on.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:22 pm

RickOShea wrote:What really sucks is the reason why the company is shutting down: that the ATF is most likely going to reclassify "rate increasing devices" like bump stocks as being afoul of "machine gun" regs. That's going to open a pretty big door....You can shoot 5 - 6 rounds per second with a stock mil-spec trigger, but you can fire 8 - 9 shots per second with a Geissele trigger? Then your Geissele trigger is also a "rate increasing device". With a bunch of 10 round mags (and decent speed reloads) you can get off around 100 shots in 60 seconds, but with 30 round mags (and fewer reloads) you can fire around 180 shots in 60 seconds? Then your 30 round mags are also "rate increasing devices"....and so on.
Reloading is never accounted for in cyclic rate of fire.

You can still bump fire without a bump stock. If your shirt tail and belt loop get classified as a machine gun by the ATF you can tell the girls you have an unregistered machine gun in your pants at all time.

Full auto fire is not very useful for legal purposes outside of actual combat, where if employed properly, can be useful. Bump firing which is essentially full auto with much less accuracy is little more than a toy.

The Vegas shooter was well off so he was able to throw money away bump firing. Also it seems he had an end game that involved not worrying about retirement. Since his target was a huge mass of people accuracy was near meaningless.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:35 pm

accuracy was near meaningless
That's right. Hate and hurting was all that he was after.

MG's are used for many things, one of which is suppression, or the keeping the heads of ones enemies down so that another group can move up and touch them. For this, I'd always choose the coax on the Abrams, if available.

There is no better suppression than accuracy.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:56 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:There is no better suppression than accuracy.
Isnt that the sniper creed? I know in plenty of wars precise aim stopped entire armies, a hand full of people strategically placed with accurate rifles taking an officer or someone out can an all out advance.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:01 pm

Stercutus wrote:Reloading is never accounted for in cyclic rate of fire.
But it is for sustained/effective rate of fire. Are you confident the Gub'mint will only account for one, and not the other?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:10 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Asymetryczna wrote:There is no better suppression than accuracy.
Isnt that the sniper creed? I know in plenty of wars precise aim stopped entire armies, a hand full of people strategically placed with accurate rifles taking an officer or someone out can an all out advance.
Asymetryczna has a good point. There are different schools of thought. One is to keep their heads down with small arms fire while you finish them off with, say, artillery, mortars, etc. Indirect fire and such.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:29 pm

MPMalloy wrote:Hey Everybody:

CBS World News Roundup (podcast) reported this AM that Slidefire, the maker of "bump stocks", is shutting down operations late May.
It sucks they're shutting down, but I hope they'll be back with some different products at some point.

Bearcat

Post by Bearcat » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:05 pm

Couldn't give a shit less that they are getting banned for all the reasons others have already said. They can have that one.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:21 pm

I had thought about buying a Slidefire stock for my AK, but I decided my money would be better spent on more ammo and mags.

As for Slidefire shutting down, I just hope the folks that work for them can find jobs elsewhere after they go down. That's where my concern lies. The higher-ups might be fine, but Joe Schmoe who works down on the factory floor is going to get screwed next month.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:39 am

RickOShea wrote:
Stercutus wrote:Reloading is never accounted for in cyclic rate of fire.
But it is for sustained/effective rate of fire. Are you confident the Gub'mint will only account for one, and not the other?
If the ATF can make a shoe string in to a machine gun and then back again then the only confidence I have in them is that they will do or say just about anything to please their political masters.
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:03 am

Stercutus wrote:If your shirt tail and belt loop get classified as a machine gun by the ATF
Gonna be an awful lot of naked people wait for their clothing purchase to be approved.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:17 am

RickOShea wrote:What really sucks is the reason why the company is shutting down: that the ATF is most likely going to reclassify "rate increasing devices" like bump stocks as being afoul of "machine gun" regs. That's going to open a pretty big door....You can shoot 5 - 6 rounds per second with a stock mil-spec trigger, but you can fire 8 - 9 shots per second with a Geissele trigger? Then your Geissele trigger is also a "rate increasing device". With a bunch of 10 round mags (and decent speed reloads) you can get off around 100 shots in 60 seconds, but with 30 round mags (and fewer reloads) you can fire around 180 shots in 60 seconds? Then your 30 round mags are also "rate increasing devices"....and so on.
Just wait until after its a rule. Then it'll be like , YEESSS, Gun oil IS a rate increasing device and therefore you are not allowed to oil your gun.

This is my rate increasing device.

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:40 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
Stercutus wrote:If your shirt tail and belt loop get classified as a machine gun by the ATF
Gonna be an awful lot of naked people wait for their clothing purchase to be approved.
You can wear pants, just not the belt loops. Might also be a restriction on the number of loops and the length of your shirt tail. The California version will look something like this:

You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:09 pm

What about "ass less chaps"? They may not need a waiting period. :clownshoes:

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:23 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
Just wait until after its a rule. Then it'll be like , YEESSS, Gun oil IS a rate increasing device and therefore you are not allowed to oil your gun.

This is my rate increasing device.

And what about Jerry Miculek? Does he need a tax stamp? (He was made before 1986, and thus the Hughes Act does not apply.)
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:58 pm

From NPR: Naked Gunman Kills 4 In Waffle House Shooting, Remains At Large
April 22, 20181:03 PM ET By Alexis Diao/AP

Updated at 4:15 p.m.

Nashville Police are warning residents to keep their doors locked and their eyes open for a partially nude man following a shooting early Sunday morning that left four people dead.

There is reason to believe, police say, that the suspect at large is carrying two guns that were not found during a search of the gunman's home.

A man wearing only a green jacket shot three people dead at a Waffle House. One person later died at a hospital where two others are being treated for injuries. Police say the suspect fled on foot, and is still on the loose. Eye witnesses tell police he stripped his jacket off near the restaurant, went back to his nearby apartment and put on a pair of pants. He was last seen wearing only black pants.

The police have identified the suspect as 29-year-old Travis Reinking of Morton, Ill. According to police spokesperson Dan Aaron, Reinking drove his pickup truck to the restaurant in Antioch, Tenn. and shot people talking in the parking lot, then continued on and opened fire inside.

A Waffle House patron who saw that the gunman was "apparently struggling or looking at" with his rifle, and took advantage of the moment by "rushing him," wresting the gun away and throwing it behind the counter - prompting the gunman to leave.

"He is the hero here, and no doubt he saved many lives," Aaron said. The patron suffered non-life threatening injuries, including a gash in his elbow.

Reinking was arrested by the U.S. Secret Service for being in a restricted area near the White House in July, 2017. He was subsequently released, Aaron said. Reinking's state firearm authorization was also revoked at the request of the FBI, and seized by Tazewell authorities in Illinois. Four of the guns seized were given to Reinking's father who, Aaron said, admitted to giving them back to his son. One of the firearms, the AR-15 was used in the shooting.

Waffle House called it a sad day for the restaurant's family.

Nashville's Mayor David Briley also took to Twitter to express his condolences.

Adding on Twitter, "There's clearly more to be said about these circumstances, but for now I ask Nashville to pray for and rally around these victims."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:40 pm

I'm gonna go well out on a limb here and suggest the shooter was taking mind altering drugs and maybe had mental problems. But the question on everyone's mind is that nobody saw a naked man running down the street at 2am and called the police. I mean being starkers in Waffle House is nothing new but on the street people will notice.

The ages of those killed and wounded are heartbreaking. None of over 30.
You go over and under
I go through

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:49 pm

No reports of a capture at this time.

Still at large. :x

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:51 pm

Reinking was arrested by the U.S. Secret Service for being in a restricted area near the White House in July, 2017. He was subsequently released, Aaron said. Reinking's state firearm authorization was also revoked at the request of the FBI, and seized by Tazewell authorities in Illinois. Four of the guns seized were given to Reinking's father who, Aaron said, admitted to giving them back to his son. One of the firearms, the AR-15 was used in the shooting.
SIMPLY AMAZING
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:03 pm

flybynight wrote:
SIMPLY AMAZING
In this case, the law did what it was supposed to do. Up to giving them to the father, who apparently gave them back to the shooter. I hope that is properly examined.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:29 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
flybynight wrote:
SIMPLY AMAZING
In this case, the law did what it was supposed to do. Up to giving them to the father, who apparently gave them back to the shooter. I hope that is properly examined.
I get the feeling the Waffle House killer's dad might be picking up some charges as well once all is said and done.

As for the killer, my money is on him being either doped up to his eyeballs on either prescription meds or maybe some form of illegal narcotics. Either way, he's a jerk and I hope the cops find him soon.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:07 pm

Waffle House bans firearms at all locations. I see how well that's working for them. :|
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”