Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by NT2C » Fri May 18, 2018 11:04 am

00dlez wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
00dlez wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:Does anyone here have day-in, day-out experience with ankle holsters?
Not really, but I BRIEFLY used a cheaper (something universal, De Santis probably) ankle holster a few years ago with a Sig p290 RS. I wholly blame the holster, but it was near impossible to keep properly situated on my leg - constantly sliding down, rotating, etc.

I ended up getting rid of the Sig for other reasons so the holster went too and I never went back to it... Unsure if you were looking for general advise or what, but I'd toss out that a good holster you can walk with for extended periods is a must - if you have some buddies that have some to try, I'd do it. Sounds silly, but if you can try some on at a store and do jumping jacks or something to give it a good test beyond walking 20 feet and back I'd recommend it.
Thank you. I am looking for a way to carry my G26, along with my G19 as my primary.
Again, far from an expert, but especially with the bulkier G26, I'd definitely encourage some due diligence with holster selection - Loaded that's 1.6 lbs tied to your ankle, any running or extended periods of activity will need something strong to lock that down and keep it where you need it.
Velcroed to my leg hair would be about the only way I could see getting it to stay put.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri May 18, 2018 11:33 am

MPMalloy wrote: I am looking for a way to carry my G26, along with my G19 as my primary.
How often do you plan on dual carrying? Would something like an Undertech t-shirt or tank work?

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri May 18, 2018 11:39 am

RickOShea wrote:
MPMalloy wrote: I am looking for a way to carry my G26, along with my G19 as my primary.
How often do you plan on dual carrying? Would something like an Undertech t-shirt or tank work?

I dunno. I hadn't thought of anything like that.

Got her digits? :clownshoes:

MacWa77ace
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri May 18, 2018 12:22 pm

Dial 9 to get out.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri May 18, 2018 12:57 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:34

Dial 9 to get out.
Dial 8 for the Oaf Patrol :ohdear:

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri May 18, 2018 1:22 pm

I made joke & it wasn't funny.

It's the risk you take.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Fri May 18, 2018 4:40 pm

00dlez wrote:Anyone have any experience with Great Lake Holsters? Looking at maybe getting a IWB for my Glock 17 - limited reviews on their site and sparse info otherwise...

http://greatlakesholsters.com/glock-17- ... d-holster/

OR ... Anyone have strong opinions on a good G17 IWB holster that that can accept an TLR 1 Light equipped as well?

I'm looking for something that is on the minimalist side of things - it mainly lives in the nightstand drawer and would get clipped to gymshorts or similar when things go bump. The Great Lake holster isn't slim, but that fat, "easy" clip looks like it would suit my needs quite well.
MPMalloy wrote:
Stercutus wrote:Don't see how you can go wrong for $40.
Yeah. That little money if it doesn't work out.
Right you both are - purchased. Will review and update when it comes.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Fri May 18, 2018 8:07 pm

I need a PCC. Something small. Compact. I keep going with this "time to travel, I'll load up the AK. Maybe the 12 ga too." I feel a little foolish with hauling around a war kit with no war so far. I just hate to think I'd be some place with no gear.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri May 18, 2018 8:18 pm

woodsghost wrote:I need a PCC. Something small. Compact. I keep going with this "time to travel, I'll load up the AK. Maybe the 12 ga too." I feel a little foolish with hauling around a war kit with no war so far. I just hate to think I'd be some place with no gear.
A few posts ago there was a video review of Ruger's new PC9. It looked good. I will break down so you could store it in a small backpack. It has an adapter to take Glock mags.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri May 18, 2018 8:26 pm

I feel a little foolish with hauling around a war kit with no war so far.
Give it a few weeks
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Fri May 18, 2018 9:05 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
woodsghost wrote:I need a PCC. Something small. Compact. I keep going with this "time to travel, I'll load up the AK. Maybe the 12 ga too." I feel a little foolish with hauling around a war kit with no war so far. I just hate to think I'd be some place with no gear.
A few posts ago there was a video review of Ruger's new PC9. It looked good. I will break down so you could store it in a small backpack. It has an adapter to take Glock mags.
Not a bad idea. Those Roni Glock rigs seem pretty handy too. More expensive though. And I keep thinking about an AR in 9mm. But those Roni rigs are probably the way I will go.
flybynight wrote:
Give it a few weeks
That is a thought. I've been doing this every time I travel for about the last 6 years? I have got to where I pack a decently small pack now (1x medium ALICE & 1x chest rig). I used to fill a car and it was ridiculous what I"d bring. Just in case something happened while I was away for 7 days. But you never know when it will be needed....
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri May 18, 2018 9:15 pm

woodsghost wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:
Not a bad idea. Those Roni Glock rigs seem pretty handy too. More expensive though. And I keep thinking about an AR in 9mm. But those Roni rigs are probably the way I will go.
flybynight wrote:
Give it a few weeks
That is a thought. I've been doing this every time I travel for about the last 6 years? I have got to where I pack a decently small pack now (1x medium ALICE & 1x chest rig). I used to fill a car and it was ridiculous what I"d bring. Just in case something happened while I was away for 7 days. But you never know when it will be needed....
A pistol with a companion PCC should serve you well. The Roni looks interesting.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri May 18, 2018 9:56 pm

Beretta Cx4 Storm

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/cx4-storm/

Or maybe an Uzi would suit you better?

https://www.classicfirearms.com/uc-9-9m ... ding-stock

Current Weather in My AO

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat May 19, 2018 12:52 am

It's back, but for a limited time. Image

https://www.forgedfromfreedom.com/colle ... nd-t-shirt

Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sat May 19, 2018 1:36 am

Extar exp9
https://gun.deals/product/extar-ep9-lig ... obile=true

Or one of those AK 9mm imported by chiappa or someone... They take Glock or Beretta mags.

But, the Ruger is tough to beat. If you have a nice budget, I love the CZ scorpion or the new CMMG lines with their rotary delayed blowback.

But but... If you're really patient, maybe grab an mp5 clone from PTR, zenith, or if PSA ever makes theirs...
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat May 19, 2018 11:47 pm

With FN/Browning officially taking the HP out of production, this could be the cat's ass....

New imported Hi-Power clone: The Tisas Regent BR9

With the iconic Browning Hi-Power out of production after more than 80 years, a Turkish company has stepped up to the plate with an increasingly popular clone....

....Now, as covered by Paul Levy in the above from Brownells, the Turkish-made Tisas Regent BR9 now being imported to the states by Ohio-based LKCI could fit the bill for those who aren’t trying to dump a lot of cash into a collectible Browning rollmarked gun. With a barrel that measures 4.6 inches long, it features either an all-black Cerakote or stainless finish and sports wood grips with a distinctive logo. The pistol ships with two 13-round magazines and weighs in at 1.84-pounds, unloaded. According to Levy, they have found standard Hi-Power accessories work.

Price on these new, if you shop around and depending on finish, is in the mid-$400 to low-$500 range, which is cheaper all day than any new Browning HP.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Sun May 20, 2018 1:06 am

I shot a classic Hi-Power for the first time last weekend. Superbly accurate, even though the dang thing didn't fit my hand. I think my whole index finger was in the trigger guard and I used my MCP joint to pull the trigger.

Anyways, if those clones drop to around $350, I'd probably try to snag one
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun May 20, 2018 1:18 am

I'm gonna give them a good look. I have an old 1970 Hi-Power I got from my Grandfather, but that thing is fairly worn-out and doesn't shoot very well.....Matter of fact, it's got a Zantra/longy....Ciener .22 kit on it right now.

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Sun May 20, 2018 10:32 am

For a multi caliber AR like PCC lol at the TKS ASR. I have three bolts and the barrels for .45 ACP 9mm .40 S&W and .357 Sig. Takes glock mags. For my G22 ihave 9mm and .357 Sig barrels, a G21 1st gen that I'm thinking I might get a 10mm barrel for and one for the ASR.
Last edited by Zed Hunter on Tue May 22, 2018 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun May 20, 2018 12:42 pm

Zed Hunter wrote:For a multi caliber AD like PCC lol at the TKS ASR. I have three bolts and the barrels for .45 ACP 9mm .40 S&W and .357 Sig. Takes glock mags. For my G22 ihave 9mm and .357 Sig barrels, a G21 1st gen that I'm thinking I might get a 10mm barrel for and one for the ASR.
Just looked it up, you can buy a full kit with 80% lower for $375. This fits a lot of the things I've been looking for in a PCC! Thanks
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun May 20, 2018 1:16 pm

Halfapint wrote:
Zed Hunter wrote:For a multi caliber AD like PCC lol at the TKS ASR. I have three bolts and the barrels for .45 ACP 9mm .40 S&W and .357 Sig. Takes glock mags. For my G22 ihave 9mm and .357 Sig barrels, a G21 1st gen that I'm thinking I might get a 10mm barrel for and one for the ASR.
Just looked it up, you can buy a full kit with 80% lower for $375. This fits a lot of the things I've been looking for in a PCC! Thanks
Link? For those of us who's google-fu is weak today?

Current Weather in My AO

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun May 20, 2018 1:25 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:
Halfapint wrote:
I believe they meant the TNW ASR, specifically this and that.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun May 20, 2018 2:03 pm

RickOShea wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:
Halfapint wrote:
I believe they meant the TNW ASR, specifically this and that.
Ah yes, thanks! I'd looked into these previously and I think one in 9mm/.45ACP/10mm would be a nice addition to my gear, what with 9mm and .45ACP being my two main carry gun calibers, and with a 10mm pistol purchase planned in the future.

Current Weather in My AO

Bearcat

Post by Bearcat » Sun May 20, 2018 2:59 pm

I forgot to post this yesterday when I found it. It's out of stock now but figured those interested could keep an eye out for it.

PSA had a midlength build kit for $299 with free shipping. http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-m ... e-kit.html

Coupled with this lower which I can pick up locally for $42 with tax https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1ANSL

And lastly a $20 rear sight with free shipping for prime https://www.amazon.com/Ozark-Armament-S ... op?ie=UTF8 Does anyone have any other suggestions for a cheap, quality, fixed rear sight?

Grand total for a complete AR-15 is $361. It doesn't get much cheaper than that! Especially for a quality budget AR. I didn't need nor want another AR but I couldn't pass up this good of a deal. I had to get one.

I will admit there are cheaper kits out there like these https://22mods4all.com/collections/firearm-kits-bundles that come with free float rails and whom seem to have a few decent reviews, no sights and they are all carbine gas systems if that matters.

Really can't go wrong either way for an entry/budget AR for less than $400.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”