Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Locked
User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7948
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by NT2C » Tue May 08, 2018 12:09 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
yossarian wrote:
Stercutus wrote:


And I was just thinking the other day; "How could the Shockwave be even less useful?" With .410 it is essentially a 26" long pistol that requires two hands to operate.

But scary looking.
We haven't hit the bottom of the barrel yet. I'm holding out for the .410 with a chainsaw grip and their "road blocker" muzzle brake.
Add in one of those goofy looking box mags they have on their 12 gauge models and you'll be set. :lol:
A staggered box mag on this would almost make it useful.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9131
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by RickOShea » Tue May 08, 2018 12:43 pm

Needs an "arm brace". :awesome:

Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
Bearcat
* * * * *
Posts: 3950
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?
Location: Nasty Natti, Ohio

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by Bearcat » Tue May 08, 2018 5:06 pm

RickOShea wrote:Needs an "arm brace". :awesome:

Image
That legal?
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 13599
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Time Out

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by Stercutus » Tue May 08, 2018 5:11 pm

RickOShea wrote:Needs an "arm brace". :awesome:

Image
Getting rid of the turkey neck and adding a crappy stock stabilizer actually does make it more useful. By the time you get in to it for all that money you may as well have taken a $150 870, paid the permit and cut the barrel down. You will have a real stock and options. But all that takes time..



That legal?
Yep
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 13599
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Time Out

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by Stercutus » Tue May 08, 2018 6:34 pm

I wonder of the spammer pimping the fake money and passports will also sell fake ATF lic. That might go around here.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3201
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by woodsghost » Tue May 08, 2018 7:00 pm

Stercutus wrote:
RickOShea wrote:Needs an "arm brace". :awesome:

Image
Getting rid of the turkey neck and adding a crappy stock stabilizer actually does make it more useful. By the time you get in to it for all that money you may as well have taken a $150 870, paid the permit and cut the barrel down. You will have a real stock and options. But all that takes time..



That legal?
Yep

My understanding is SBSs need a mother-may-I to cross state lines. If using full power (not low power Judge) ammo, specifically 000, 5 pellet, 3 inch stuff, I can see this being useful with the arm brace. The .410 seems to group tighter. And I simply will not shoot a 12 ga with an arm brace. Not happening.

In certain states this could be very useful inside 40 y/m.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
Bearcat
* * * * *
Posts: 3950
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?
Location: Nasty Natti, Ohio

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by Bearcat » Tue May 08, 2018 9:05 pm

Stercutus wrote:
RickOShea wrote:Needs an "arm brace". :awesome:
Getting rid of the turkey neck and adding a crappy stock stabilizer actually does make it more useful. By the time you get in to it for all that money you may as well have taken a $150 870, paid the permit and cut the barrel down. You will have a real stock and options. But all that takes time..



That legal?
Yep
I thought that because it couldn't have a pistol grip when it left the factory, adding one afterwards would require a tax stamp.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9131
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by RickOShea » Tue May 08, 2018 10:01 pm

Bearcat wrote:
I thought that because it couldn't have a buttstock when it left the factory, adding one afterwards would require a tax stamp.
FTFY.

Shotgun

18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(5) and 27 CFR § 478.11

The term “Shotgun” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder....
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9131
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by RickOShea » Wed May 09, 2018 4:39 pm

CMP Publishes Pricing on Milsurp M1911 and M1911A1 Pistols

You know those 1911 pistols that gun owners have been eagerly waiting for since they were finally authorized under the National Defense Authorization Act? Well the Civilian Marksmanship Program has them and they’ve just announced pricing. But to get one, you’ll have to be lucky.

First, the Secretary of the Army only released 8000 pistols (the number is capped at 10,000 per year). And given the demand for them, the CMP will be selling them through a lottery system....

....Yep, they’re not cheap. But as our own Jon Wayne Taylor told me, “A$$h@les like me will still buy the first ones we can.”



Image
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

boskone
* * *
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Aggieland-ish

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by boskone » Wed May 09, 2018 7:59 pm

RickOShea wrote:CMP Publishes Pricing on Milsurp M1911 and M1911A1 Pistols

You know those 1911 pistols that gun owners have been eagerly waiting for since they were finally authorized under the National Defense Authorization Act? Well the Civilian Marksmanship Program has them and they’ve just announced pricing. But to get one, you’ll have to be lucky.

First, the Secretary of the Army only released 8000 pistols (the number is capped at 10,000 per year). And given the demand for them, the CMP will be selling them through a lottery system....

....Yep, they’re not cheap. But as our own Jon Wayne Taylor told me, “A$$h@les like me will still buy the first ones we can.”
Well, nuts; that's out of my price range at the moment. I could get a "better" 1911 for the same cost or cheaper, but something with some history would be cool.

Maybe next year. :?

User avatar
RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 9131
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Gulf Coast, AL

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by RickOShea » Wed May 09, 2018 8:32 pm

I'm not sure where to put this....but Deadpool uses guns on occasion, so I'll put it here.Image




whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2955
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by flybynight » Wed May 09, 2018 8:36 pm

boskone wrote:
RickOShea wrote:CMP Publishes Pricing on Milsurp M1911 and M1911A1 Pistols

You know those 1911 pistols that gun owners have been eagerly waiting for since they were finally authorized under the National Defense Authorization Act? Well the Civilian Marksmanship Program has them and they’ve just announced pricing. But to get one, you’ll have to be lucky.

First, the Secretary of the Army only released 8000 pistols (the number is capped at 10,000 per year). And given the demand for them, the CMP will be selling them through a lottery system....

....Yep, they’re not cheap. But as our own Jon Wayne Taylor told me, “A$$h@les like me will still buy the first ones we can.”
Well, nuts; that's out of my price range at the moment. I could get a "better" 1911 for the same cost or cheaper, but something with some history would be cool.

Maybe next year. :?
SHEESH Forget it. Too much. He's not just an A$$hole. He's a dumb one.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 13599
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Time Out

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by Stercutus » Thu May 10, 2018 7:01 am

Lots of Guns in DP2, nemesis is going to be Cable so lots and lot of guns. (and Fbombs)

You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 16804
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by raptor » Thu May 10, 2018 3:32 pm

I hate these guys.
They send me emails with offers.
They seem to know when I need something shiny.

One of these is enroute because ...
well .... well ...
leave me alone!...
I want one...
Take my money dammit!. :roll: :clownshoes:


https://www.southernohiogun.com/gallery ... olver.html

User avatar
Stercutus
* * * * *
Posts: 13599
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Time Out

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by Stercutus » Thu May 10, 2018 5:05 pm

raptor wrote:I hate these guys.
They send me emails with offers.
They seem to know when I need something shiny.

One of these is enroute because ...
well .... well ...
leave me alone!...
I want one...
Take my money dammit!. :roll: :clownshoes:


https://www.southernohiogun.com/gallery ... olver.html
That is a great price. hmmm...
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

User avatar
flybynight
* * * * *
Posts: 2955
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:30 am

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by flybynight » Thu May 10, 2018 5:21 pm

raptor wrote:I hate these guys.
They send me emails with offers.
They seem to know when I need something shiny.

One of these is enroute because ...
well .... well ...
leave me alone!...
I want one...
Take my money dammit!. :roll: :clownshoes:


https://www.southernohiogun.com/gallery ... olver.html
I know I've been looking at those for awhile. I also can't seem to curb the urge to buy one of those Star BM's everyone seems to have for right around $200. (outer voice ) What do I need with a four inch barreled , low capacity 1911 shaped 9mm ?
( inner voice ) SILENCE !!! PRODUCE THE PLASTIC GUN BUYING CARD NAMED VISA AND ORDER INSTANTLY !!!
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

User avatar
raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 16804
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:18 pm
Location: Greater New Orleans Area

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by raptor » Thu May 10, 2018 5:33 pm

Stercutus wrote:
That is a great price. hmmm...

I am a sucker for "cheap" used"quality" firearms. :?

There is a reason I do not go to used sports car lots.

flybynight wrote: ( inner voice ) SILENCE !!! PRODUCE THE PLASTIC GUN BUYING CARD NAMED VISA AND ORDER INSTANTLY !!!
That same guy talks me that way also. :lol:

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6860
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu May 10, 2018 6:19 pm

flybynight wrote:
raptor wrote:I hate these guys.
They send me emails with offers.
They seem to know when I need something shiny.

One of these is enroute because ...
well .... well ...
leave me alone!...
I want one...
Take my money dammit!. :roll: :clownshoes:


https://www.southernohiogun.com/gallery ... olver.html
I know I've been looking at those for awhile. I also can't seem to curb the urge to buy one of those Star BM's everyone seems to have for right around $200. (outer voice ) What do I need with a four inch barreled , low capacity 1911 shaped 9mm ?
( inner voice ) SILENCE !!! PRODUCE THE PLASTIC GUN BUYING CARD NAMED VISA AND ORDER INSTANTLY !!!
I've been fighting the same urge to buy one of those Star pistols as well. My inner voice keeps telling me that I don't really need one, but at the same time it's also saying "What the hell. Go for it. Who knows how long these things will stay cheap."

Lowest capacity gun I have at the moment is my Mosin and I think it needs another low capacity friend. :D

User avatar
Bearcat
* * * * *
Posts: 3950
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:03 pm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?
Location: Nasty Natti, Ohio

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by Bearcat » Thu May 10, 2018 6:31 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
flybynight wrote: I know I've been looking at those for awhile. I also can't seem to curb the urge to buy one of those Star BM's everyone seems to have for right around $200. (outer voice ) What do I need with a four inch barreled , low capacity 1911 shaped 9mm ?
( inner voice ) SILENCE !!! PRODUCE THE PLASTIC GUN BUYING CARD NAMED VISA AND ORDER INSTANTLY !!!
I've been fighting the same urge to buy one of those Star pistols as well. My inner voice keeps telling me that I don't really need one, but at the same time it's also saying "What the hell. Go for it. Who knows how long these things will stay cheap."

Lowest capacity gun I have at the moment is my Mosin and I think it needs another low capacity friend. :D
Let me save you both the hassle and disappointment. My brother bought a star model B about a decade ago give or take a few years. I liked his so much I bought one too. They shot great, but then the problems started. One day at the range, my brothers extractor, pin and spring broke and flew off the gun. We couldn't find the parts. The extractor on the stars is exposed on the right side of slide. Took months if not a year to find parts but we could never find an extractor that aligned with the pin hole. A gun smith had to fill the extractor hole and re drill the pin hole to fit the gun. Then my gun started jamming. I tried cleaning and oiling, different ammo and even replaced the recoil spring to no avail. Rather than sinking more money into it, I sold it. My brother ended up selling his at the same time.

TL;DR Spare parts for the star B's are very hard to come by, guns are junk in reliability.

ETA: Forgot to add that after the gunsmith smithed a new extractor to the gun, he had to weld and re-shape the end of the extractor on the little nub that grabs the bullet casing because the extractor wouldn't grab the casing.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.


User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3201
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by woodsghost » Thu May 10, 2018 8:05 pm

I saw that. It sounded interesting. I was particularly interested in the fact that it seemed investor driven. I was a little bent out of shape over it being Ruger, which is a company I like. But as the the....CEO?...said, it is only a report. A simple collection of data. But at it's heart it tacitly implies perhaps a gun maker might be responsible for the actions of criminals. Which is something that irritates me.


And if I remember the article, it sounded like there were a bunch of Catholic nuns who were investors in Ruger and upset at their making guns. I'm assuming the nuns were just at the investment meeting? I could have read it closer. But I like the idea of a bunch of nuns who are investors in Ruger.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
woodsghost
* * * * *
Posts: 3201
Joined: Thu May 16, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by woodsghost » Thu May 10, 2018 8:13 pm

raptor wrote:I hate these guys.
They send me emails with offers.
They seem to know when I need something shiny.

One of these is enroute because ...
well .... well ...
leave me alone!...
I want one...
Take my money dammit!. :roll: :clownshoes:


https://www.southernohiogun.com/gallery ... olver.html
I've been eyeing those since last fall. But a little LC 9 found a home and my wife said I already have revolvers. Which happens to be true. .......but i don't have a stainless one....
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

User avatar
12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Posts: 6860
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:21 pm
Location: Middle of nowhere, West Texas
Contact:

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu May 10, 2018 8:34 pm

Bearcat wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
flybynight wrote: I know I've been looking at those for awhile. I also can't seem to curb the urge to buy one of those Star BM's everyone seems to have for right around $200. (outer voice ) What do I need with a four inch barreled , low capacity 1911 shaped 9mm ?
( inner voice ) SILENCE !!! PRODUCE THE PLASTIC GUN BUYING CARD NAMED VISA AND ORDER INSTANTLY !!!
I've been fighting the same urge to buy one of those Star pistols as well. My inner voice keeps telling me that I don't really need one, but at the same time it's also saying "What the hell. Go for it. Who knows how long these things will stay cheap."

Lowest capacity gun I have at the moment is my Mosin and I think it needs another low capacity friend. :D
Let me save you both the hassle and disappointment. My brother bought a star model B about a decade ago give or take a few years. I liked his so much I bought one too. They shot great, but then the problems started. One day at the range, my brothers extractor, pin and spring broke and flew off the gun. We couldn't find the parts. The extractor on the stars is exposed on the right side of slide. Took months if not a year to find parts but we could never find an extractor that aligned with the pin hole. A gun smith had to fill the extractor hole and re drill the pin hole to fit the gun. Then my gun started jamming. I tried cleaning and oiling, different ammo and even replaced the recoil spring to no avail. Rather than sinking more money into it, I sold it. My brother ended up selling his at the same time.

TL;DR Spare parts for the star B's are very hard to come by, guns are junk in reliability.

ETA: Forgot to add that after the gunsmith smithed a new extractor to the gun, he had to weld and re-shape the end of the extractor on the little nub that grabs the bullet casing because the extractor wouldn't grab the casing.
Looks like you just saved me some money, Bearcat. Thanks for the info.

I guess I'll go back to my original idea of finding a decent Tokarev to go with my Mosin. Anyone got any leads on those ?

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7948
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by NT2C » Thu May 10, 2018 8:43 pm

Those Smiths are nice, and I do enjoy revolvers, but these puppies caught my eye and one or even two need to find their way to my truck and my front door entrance foyer. Just trying to figure out if that need is strong enough to forgo buying my long desired M-14 that was going to be purchased in the near future. No room in the budget for both. :(
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Locked

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”