Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

woodsghost

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by woodsghost » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:43 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
RickOShea wrote:And here I am, just waiting for one of those new Marlin Trapper SS levers.....in piddly lil' .357 magnum. Image

If I hadn't have sold my GP100 today, I'd be all over one of those.

So now I'm on the hunt for a replacement for my now gone GP100. I'm thinking either a Glock 17 or maybe a Ruger American in 9mm.

I might go with the Glock 17 since there's a ton of aftermarket support for it and parts are easily available. I do know I'll be picking up some stuff for my AR as well. Mags and ammo are number one on the list.

You finally sold the GP100?!?!?! That thing has been a saga! What else am I going to do with my life?!? What reason do I have now to check the Firearms Chat?!?! This is why they don't actually end soap operas.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:01 pm

woodsghost wrote:You finally sold the GP100?!?!?! That thing has been a saga! What else am I going to do with my life?!? What reason do I have now to check the Firearms Chat?!?! This is why they don't actually end soap operas.
I guess the fourteenth time was the charm....but Claude ham mercy, whatever shall we do? Too bad he couldn't tag it like a shark, so we could follow it's future progress & travels.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:02 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
RickOShea wrote:And here I am, just waiting for one of those new Marlin Trapper SS levers.....in piddly lil' .357 magnum. Image

So now I'm on the hunt for a replacement for my now gone GP100. I'm thinking either a Glock 17 or maybe a Ruger American in 9mm.

I might go with the Glock 17 since there's a ton of aftermarket support for it and parts are easily available. I do know I'll be picking up some stuff for my AR as well. Mags and ammo are number one on the list.
Really the only thing you can replace that with is another GP100. I say buy one in the semi-perma cocked position too. Probably save a bundle.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:07 pm

Stercutus wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Really the only thing you can replace that with is another GP100. I say buy one in the semi-perma cocked position too. Probably save a bundle.
I hear tell Ruger has come out with a GP100...in 10mm Auto. :twisted:
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:41 pm

woodsghost wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

You finally sold the GP100?!?!?! That thing has been a saga! What else am I going to do with my life?!? What reason do I have now to check the Firearms Chat?!?! This is why they don't actually end soap operas.
Yes, the saga of Chimp's GP100 has reached its conclusion.

Oh, and I picked up a Glock 17 Gen 4 to replace it. Local shop had a sale and I just happened to have funds when they did. Usually I'm close to broke when the good sales pop up. :lol:

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:07 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Yes, the saga of Chimp's GP100 has reached its conclusion.

Oh, and I picked up a Glock 17 Gen 4 to replace it. Local shop had a sale and I just happened to have funds when they did. Usually I'm close to broke when the good sales pop up. :lol:
I think I need to buy a GP 100. Just to keep things going.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:58 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Oh, and I picked up a Glock 17 Gen 4 to replace it. Local shop had a sale and I just happened to have funds when they did. Usually I'm close to broke when the good sales pop up. :lol:
:clap:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:36 am

Not that this is "Buy a Glock Kool-aid" or anything. More like a slow creeping climb towards the inevitable.
You go over and under
I go through

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:18 am

Speaking of Glocks here is me running my stock Gen 3 19.

Ran this match after having smashed my thumb up with a hammer, caused me to fail to seat a mag in one stage :roll: :(

56 out of 94 I'm slowly climbing up the ranks...

Man is a beast of prey

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:34 pm

And bought a Gen 4 Glock34 brand new for $500 at the gun show. A rare deal.

:clap:
Man is a beast of prey

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:55 pm

I discovered why that ammo I bought cost less than other ammo.

Nothing 'spoldey and no malfunctions, but it didn't shoot all that well. Might try it in my other AR, see if it likes it better.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:15 pm

Langenator wrote:I discovered why that ammo I bought cost less than other ammo.

Nothing 'spoldey and no malfunctions, but it didn't shoot all that well. Might try it in my other AR, see if it likes it better.
And what ammo would that be so the rest of us know what to expect!
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:17 am

Bearcat wrote:
Langenator wrote:I discovered why that ammo I bought cost less than other ammo.

And what ammo would that be so the rest of us know what to expect!
Knowing how the Interwebz work, I want to test it in my other rifle(s) before I go making generalizations and naming names.

The new stuff was 75 gr HPBT. I knew it didn't group as tight when I zeroed as the 69 gr Freedom that I'd used before (which I didn't have enough left to shoot the match.) That becomes more of an issue when the targets are out at 400-500m.

The rifle in question is a custom build for 3-gun with a 18" Nordic barrel, .223 Wylde, with a Gas Buster Comp and Seekins LM BCG.

Next range trip I'll take my DMR (CMMG 20" 1/7, Miculek comp) and see how it works with that. And maybe the PSA Freedom rifle whose kit I'm waiting for. The CMMG really liked 75gr Hornady Steel Match (which I've had a hard time finding since Newtown), so it might like this stuff.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Langenator

Post by Langenator » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:26 am

Another thing I learned at this match:

My pistol (M&P 9) has a red fiber optic front sight. This is the first time, or at least the first time in a really long time, that I've had it out in full, mid-day, no clouds in the sky, Texas sun. That red fiber optic was bigger than an Aimpoint dot, and actually made sight alignment tricky.

Front sight focus was easy, because my eye was pulled to that red dot like there was a tractor beam on it.

Getting that dot lined up in the notch (equal height, equal light), and getting all that lined up on the target, took more concentration, I think, than just plain black sights might have.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:20 pm

Langenator wrote:Another thing I learned at this match:

My pistol (M&P 9) has a red fiber optic front sight. This is the first time, or at least the first time in a really long time, that I've had it out in full, mid-day, no clouds in the sky, Texas sun. That red fiber optic was bigger than an Aimpoint dot, and actually made sight alignment tricky.

Front sight focus was easy, because my eye was pulled to that red dot like there was a tractor beam on it.

Getting that dot lined up in the notch (equal height, equal light), and getting all that lined up on the target, took more concentration, I think, than just plain black sights might have.
Interesting - maybe you need a thinner one? Dawson Precision has different widths, I've just ordered a .115 one for my G34

I run TruGlo TFX on my G19 and yeh when the sun is out, that green is super visible - I really like it though haha.
Man is a beast of prey

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue May 01, 2018 1:12 pm

Langenator wrote: Getting that dot lined up in the notch (equal height, equal light), and getting all that lined up on the target, took more concentration, I think, than just plain black sights might have.
I second the green front sight. I also use these and these seem to work well for me in day light.
https://www.amazon.com/TRUGLO-Brite-Sit ... B018IP2F1U

That said what I noticed (for me anyway) with these though is that at dusk and dawn (low light but not dark yet) is that they seem difficult to acquire. It is too light to see the illumination and too dark for transmitted ambient light.

Bearcat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Do I have to choose?

Post by Bearcat » Tue May 01, 2018 3:34 pm

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... uring-guns Vista isn't shuttering the firearms manufacturers as the title implies but they are selling the makers.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Jvandenhaus wrote:Zombie squad: If you aren't one of us, you wish you were.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue May 01, 2018 3:53 pm

Bearcat wrote:http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing- ... uring-guns Vista isn't shuttering the firearms manufacturers as the title implies but they are selling the makers.
Smells like appeasment to me. :vmad:
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed May 02, 2018 5:00 pm

MBest11x on YT is not taking things too seriously.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Wed May 02, 2018 6:26 pm

MPMalloy wrote:MBest11x on YT is not taking things too seriously.
Neither does his wife.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Wed May 02, 2018 8:23 pm

Was a bit tricky but I got the new Apex Trigger installed on my Glock. Reset feels very nice.
Man is a beast of prey

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Wed May 02, 2018 9:44 pm

Finally got off my ass and started taking real classes. Just completed the NRA's Defensive Pistol 1. The DP2 class is coming up in a few weeks. I need to get on the range more to get in fighting shape before the second class. I think I'm hooked as I'm eyeing the tactical rifle classes, too. :D :D :D

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri May 04, 2018 6:59 am

The AR market was flat out over crowded, I admit I took advantage of low prices. I have noticed a small uptick in prices since some gun makers have exited the market.
You go over and under
I go through

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri May 04, 2018 7:29 am

norcalprep wrote:Finally got off my ass and started taking real classes. Just completed the NRA's Defensive Pistol 1. The DP2 class is coming up in a few weeks. I need to get on the range more to get in fighting shape before the second class. I think I'm hooked as I'm eyeing the tactical rifle classes, too. :D :D :D
Awesome man! I"m glad to hear that!

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”