Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Firearms Chat 5: #pewpewlife

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:50 pm

RickOShea wrote:Cabela's completes $4B merger with Bass Pro Shops

http://www.mcall.com/business/retail/mc ... story.html

Bass Pro Shops' $4 billion deal to buy Cabela's is officially complete, the two companies announced Monday....

....Shareholders of the Nebraska-based Cabela’s approved the merger in July, with shareholders receiving $61.50 per share. The remaining company will be privately held.

Both outdoor companies had humble beginnings. Cabela's was founded in 1961 when Dick Cabela started selling fishing flies through the mail from his kitchen table with his wife, Mary, and brother, Jim. Bass Pro got its start in 1971 when Morris began selling high-quality fishing tackle in his dad's liquor store in Springfield, Mo.
What does this mean for us preppers?

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:59 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
RickOShea wrote:Cabela's completes $4B merger with Bass Pro Shops

http://www.mcall.com/business/retail/mc ... story.html

Bass Pro Shops' $4 billion deal to buy Cabela's is officially complete, the two companies announced Monday....

....Shareholders of the Nebraska-based Cabela’s approved the merger in July, with shareholders receiving $61.50 per share. The remaining company will be privately held.

Both outdoor companies had humble beginnings. Cabela's was founded in 1961 when Dick Cabela started selling fishing flies through the mail from his kitchen table with his wife, Mary, and brother, Jim. Bass Pro got its start in 1971 when Morris began selling high-quality fishing tackle in his dad's liquor store in Springfield, Mo.
What does this mean for us preppers?
Monopoly.... especially since Gander is under and not rising again...

But.... I love Cabela's so hopefully the prices don't sky rocket. I've heard that Bass pro will focus on fishing, and Cabela's on hunting. Kinda like how it is now. Hopefully they improve their online shopping and prices to compete with Amazon and Walmart.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:34 pm

Cabela's and Bass Pro still have to compete with Academy, Big 5 and Dick's, so it's not like they're the only game in town.

Speaking of Gander Mountain, I scored one of their store display gun racks for a little over 20 bucks at a thrift store awhile back. I know the store in Lubbock closed recently (like in the last six months or so) so I'm fairly certain that it came out of that particular location.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:36 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:Anyone need a cannon?

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/v ... rce=Eloqua

Who doesn't?

Someday, long before I find a papered PPSH or SG-43, I'll own a cannon. Not sure what kind I'll start with, but I need several.
JeeperCreeper wrote:Are they handcrafted? Gotta be handcrafted...
They gotta have single-digit user numbers. I say looking at my 9x33/.357 Mini Mole project which has exactly two other users worldwide.

Shit, am I a gun hipster?

Oh god, I've got the beanie, and the facial hair, and the vintage flannel, and the microbrew, and the Subaru!

I think I may be too far gone!
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:59 pm

Dogan wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote:Anyone need a cannon?

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/v ... rce=Eloqua

Who doesn't?

Someday, long before I find a papered PPSH or SG-43, I'll own a cannon. Not sure what kind I'll start with, but I need several.
JeeperCreeper wrote:Are they handcrafted? Gotta be handcrafted...
They gotta have single-digit user numbers. I say looking at my 9x33/.357 Mini Mole project which has exactly two other users worldwide.

Shit, am I a gun hipster?

Oh god, I've got the beanie, and the facial hair, and the vintage flannel, and the microbrew, and the Subaru!

I think I may be too far gone!
I think so long as you don't have the Buddy Holly glasses, you're safe. :lol:

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:36 am

A kinda oldie, but still a goodie, from Dave...

Don’t Build a Shitbox: The Path and Prioritizing

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:14 am

RickOShea wrote:A kinda oldie, but still a goodie, from Dave...

I'll just ask: why is the optic in the less functional category? My understanding is a proper optic is the only piece of gear that might make up a little for skill? Or, in different words: the money you spend on gear would do more good spent on training, with the exception of good fighting optics.

I'm all ears and interested in what the rest of you say. I just have heard this places on the interwebs, so I figured it is true. It makes sense to me.

Ok. Read some of the article. He says this:
Your very next purchase should be a quality Red Dot Sight (RDS) or other optic, depending on your use. A RDS is much better than iron sights for almost everything. They’re better in low light, for moving targets, aging eyes, holdovers, they’re faster, and more. It’s so much of a force multiplier that several of my friends put it in the “mandatory” camp. Don’t get me wrong, every rifle that I may actually use sports an optic of some sort. This is why it’s the very next item on the list.
I get it now. I"d just put the quality optic in the "yeah this is super functional" area of the graphic. :?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:11 am

Well,... I think because an optic isn't necessary. Even though we don't always do it, we should be build our skills with iron sights. Optics are really accoutrements. Preference, specialized, and not required. Now,.. I don't see my self running without and optic, but I don't see myself run without BUIS either. Also,.. optics are the first thing over the line. Make sense to me.

If you have sight issues, raise the line a notch.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:34 am

:awesome:

Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:20 pm

Off the subject of optics and iron sights (I've only got one optic and it's currently sitting on my Romanian AK), anyone know about the slab side Russian AK mags AIM Surplus is selling right now ?

The price seems a tad high to me, but they claim the mags are pretty rare. I kind of want to pick up a couple just for collector's purposes, but I'm a little hesitant to drop 60 bucks on a mag when regular mags can be had for less than 20 bucks.

ETA: These are the mags I'm talking about.
https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx ... oupid=1010

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:33 pm

woodsghost wrote:

I'll just ask: why is the optic in the less functional category? My understanding is a proper optic is the only piece of gear that might make up a little for skill? Or, in different words: the money you spend on gear would do more good spent on training, with the exception of good fighting optics.

I'm all ears and interested in what the rest of you say. I just have heard this places on the interwebs, so I figured it is true. It makes sense to me.

Your very next purchase should be a quality Red Dot Sight (RDS) or other optic, depending on your use. A RDS is much better than iron sights for almost everything. They’re better in low light, for moving targets, aging eyes, holdovers, they’re faster, and more. It’s so much of a force multiplier that several of my friends put it in the “mandatory” camp. Don’t get me wrong, every rifle that I may actually use sports an optic of some sort. This is why it’s the very next item on the list.
I get it now. I"d just put the quality optic in the "yeah this is super functional" area of the graphic. :?

How can a trigger be considered aesthetic when you basically can't even see it?? Unless it's skeletonized or chrome or something... which most aren't. I guess he never really tried to shoot a garbage mil-spec trigger on the upper end of the pull weight spectrum. I have like a 12 pounder that someone can try to see how "functional" that bad boy is/

And I'm pretty sure I bought streamlined and simple and light furniture for my AR's. Heck, basic Magpul MOE stuff is less gaudy than basic mil-spec garbage that melts.

Optics are useless. Just look at snipers. They use irons.

Oh, I didn't read the article. I just wrote an emotional response based on a Meme. It's 2017, it's what we do now HAHAHAHA :awesome:
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:48 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote: I guess he never really tried to shoot a garbage mil-spec trigger on the upper end of the pull weight spectrum. I have like a 12 pounder that someone can try to see how "functional" that bad boy is/

:roll: You truly have no clue who Dave is.
Last edited by RickOShea on Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:49 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

How can a trigger be considered aesthetic when you basically can't even see it?? Unless it's skeletonized or chrome or something... which most aren't. I guess he never really tried to shoot a garbage mil-spec trigger on the upper end of the pull weight spectrum. I have like a 12 pounder that someone can try to see how "functional" that bad boy is/

And I'm pretty sure I bought streamlined and simple and light furniture for my AR's. Heck, basic Magpul MOE stuff is less gaudy than basic mil-spec garbage that melts.

Optics are useless. Just look at snipers. They use irons.

Oh, I didn't read the article. I just wrote an emotional response based on a Meme. It's 2017, it's what we do now HAHAHAHA :awesome:
Lol. You will make an honest man of me yet!

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:51 pm

RickOShea wrote:
JeeperCreeper wrote: I guess he never really tried to shoot a garbage mil-spec trigger on the upper end of the pull weight spectrum. I have like a 12 pounder that someone can try to see how "functional" that bad boy is/

Maybe true, but I think he is making fun of *me.* Which is fair.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:53 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Off the subject of optics and iron sights (I've only got one optic and it's currently sitting on my Romanian AK), anyone know about the slab side Russian AK mags AIM Surplus is selling right now ?

The price seems a tad high to me, but they claim the mags are pretty rare. I kind of want to pick up a couple just for collector's purposes, but I'm a little hesitant to drop 60 bucks on a mag when regular mags can be had for less than 20 bucks.

That is a good price for slab siders. Everything I know is they are heavy, sturdy, and collectable. You may find better prices if a batch have come into the US. But AIM usually seems to do good on AK mag prices. They are usually pretty competitive.

My memory is they were going for 2x that about 3 years ago.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:58 pm

woodsghost wrote:
RickOShea wrote:

I was making fun of the meme.

But I just read the article. Good points. But the meme is dumb

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:33 pm

woodsghost wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:Off the subject of optics and iron sights (I've only got one optic and it's currently sitting on my Romanian AK), anyone know about the slab side Russian AK mags AIM Surplus is selling right now ?

That is a good price for slab siders. Everything I know is they are heavy, sturdy, and collectable. You may find better prices if a batch have come into the US. But AIM usually seems to do good on AK mag prices. They are usually pretty competitive.

I'd never seen slab side AK mags before, so I had no idea if 60 bucks was a good price or not. Now I know that's a decent price, I might save up a little money and buy a couple. I might never use them as anything more than range mags, like the two 75 round drums I have, though.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:04 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
RickOShea wrote:

I was making fun of the meme.

But I just read the article. Good points. But the meme is dumb
Also, MIL-R-63997 says trigger pull should be between 5.5 lb - 9.5 lb, and MIL-C-71186 says it should be between 5.5 lb - 8.5 lb.....So if you have a 12 lb trigger, then that's not within the mil-spec, and should probably fall under the "Chinese flea market parts" warning Dave also gave. Image

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:37 pm

RickOShea wrote: Also, MIL-R-63997 says trigger pull should be between 5.5 lb - 9.5 lb, and MIL-C-71186 says it should be between 5.5 lb - 8.5 lb.....So if you have a 12 lb trigger, then that's not within the mil-spec, and should probably fall under the "Chinese flea market parts" warning Dave also gave. Image
Dang it.... I hate when my hyperbole's get proofread. :clownshoes:

And the only Dave I know is the guy from Wendy's... and dammit... he makes a mean burger....
Last edited by JeeperCreeper on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:38 pm

Who is this Dave?

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:39 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
woodsghost wrote:

I'd never seen slab side AK mags before, so I had no idea if 60 bucks was a good price or not. Now I know that's a decent price, I might save up a little money and buy a couple. I might never use them as anything more than range mags, like the two 75 round drums I have, though.
It seems all the "legit" imported AK mags are skyrocketing in price. My '74 really wants some, but they are running up in that price range

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:39 pm

MPMalloy wrote:Who is this Dave?
No, it's Jake... from State Farm

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:40 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:
RickOShea wrote: Also, MIL-R-63997 says trigger pull should be between 5.5 lb - 9.5 lb, and MIL-C-71186 says it should be between 5.5 lb - 8.5 lb.....So if you have a 12 lb trigger, then that's not within the mil-spec, and should probably fall under the "Chinese flea market parts" warning Dave also gave. Image
Dang it.... I hate when my hyperbole's get proofread. :clownshoes:

And the only Dave I know is the guys from Wendy's... and dammit... he makes a mean burger....
Wendy's was one of my jobs when I was in High School.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:47 pm

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”