Lube: What are you folks using?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Lube: What are you folks using?

Post by NT2C » Tue May 16, 2017 3:16 pm

What are you folks protecting and lubricating your firearms with these days, and do you like it?

Myself, I learned a long time ago that spray silicone is like the Best. Thing. Ever. Back in the 60s and 70s, before the family construction business really took off, dad was a foreman for Domino Sugar and used to always be bringing home interesting things from work. One of the things I liked a lot was the pure silicone spray they used on a lot of the packaging machinery. He'd collect a few mostly empty cans and bring them home for use around the house. The stuff was awesome at keeping my hunting and fishing gear rust free and lubricated.

Not having a connection for the commercial stuff any longer, I settled for using some of the homeowner grade sprays, which worked okay but wore off easily or got gummy because they were a blend, not pure silicone. (they are great for spraying the chute and impeller of your snowblower with, prior to use - keeps them nice and slick)

A couple of years ago though I found THIS STUFF and have been using it with great success ever since.

Edit: Can picture below

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Stercutus

Re: Lube: What are you folks using?

Post by Stercutus » Tue May 16, 2017 3:43 pm

I prefer Teflon lube when I don't use CLP. Slick 50 seems to work fine. I have been working on one can for about 15 years now.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue May 16, 2017 4:22 pm

A link that has been posted before but still relevant.

A test of 46 different products.
http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

My preference is CLP for semi auto actions and simple 3 in 1 oil for swabbing a bore or wiping down a blued firearm after it has been cleaned.

I do like silicone sprays for locks and hinges.

I also use WD-40 for fogging engines and equipment in a marine environment. That is where the WD comes from, water displacement.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue May 16, 2017 4:41 pm

raptor wrote:A link that has been posted before but still relevant.

A test of 46 different products.
http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667

My preference is CLP for semi auto actions and simple 3 in 1 oil for swabbing a bore after it has been cleaned.

I do like silicone sprays for locks and hinges.

I also use WD-40 for fogging engines and equipment in a marine environment. That is where the WD comes from, water displacement.
Well, that was an interesting read. His "hotdog" data was completely irrelevant of course because hotdog does not equal human finger in any way, but it was still a fun read.
I used to be a fan of 3 in 1, but in high school, I had a science professor who was a retired petroleum research chemist. The things that man taught us about petroleum and lubricants was fantastic. Anyway, he showed us that 3 in 1 used vegetable oil in its formulation and could go rancid. That's one reason why it gets so gummy and leaves a gummy film on things. After that I stopped buying it and using it.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue May 16, 2017 4:47 pm

CLP and Rem Oil for me!!!!

Rem Oil has teflon and CLP has a teflon knock-off, I believe. Not that it matters to me.

I've used fancy "gucci-oils" like MPro-7 and Hoppe's Elite (oil not the solvent) and others... didn't notice any performance difference worth the high price tag. The little dripper bottles are convenient though if space is a priority.

I also tried this fancy solvent a local store was pushing. It smelled like lemons and it froze up my Nickel Boron BCG in my AR so fast... so basically I stay away from anything "new and innovative".

I considered trying synthetic motor oil, I know a lot of old timers use motor oil especially in the winter.

In the end, cheap and easy and traditional works wonders for me.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Hokicake
BANNED

Post by Hokicake » Tue May 16, 2017 4:51 pm

I use this grey silvery goopy stuff on all my guns and it doesn't go away ever, I have it in guns that sit for 7 years untouched and it's still there like I just put it on.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue May 16, 2017 4:52 pm

Hokicake wrote:grey silvery goopy stuff
Never heard of that brand. Good talk.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Mikku

Post by Mikku » Tue May 16, 2017 5:12 pm

CLP to clean and MPRO or Slipstream to lube. Have tried a remoil wet and dry lubes and did not like them at all.

Hokicake
BANNED

Post by Hokicake » Tue May 16, 2017 5:29 pm

here it is! this is wut I have always used and took it on all deploys too.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/92400 ... t-1-oz-jar

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:24 pm

I use Froglube paste and liquid. I know it's very close to coconut oil and is practically roller coaster oil, I don't care. It's worked fantastic for me and I don't have to worry about it when my little brother is helping me clean the guns after a range trip and rubs his eyes without washing his hands.
I do two coats of the paste, and then relube either after every range trip or every friday with my EDC pistol. I live in hot and humid FL.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Tue May 16, 2017 8:08 pm

I use red car grease from Walmart and I use Ballistol.

I freaking love Ballistol! And I like red grease. But if temps are below -10F I have found Ballistol to work better than grease.

Actually, if temps are consistently below freezing I move to Ballistol. Otherwise, grease.

I also use Ballistol to clean, and to protect all my wood, metal, and leather. It is supposed to be pretty easy on the body too. Not a lot of harmful stuff. It has kind of a famous oder, but I like it.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Towanda

Post by Towanda » Wed May 17, 2017 12:44 am

I also use Ballistol.
Holding a grudge is like swallowing poison and expecting someone else to die.

SMoAF wrote:You could have your very own Trunk SMoAF. That'd HAVE to have some practical value for you.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed May 17, 2017 2:14 am

Boeshield T-9 has served me well for years now. But almost out so I got remoil as a backup.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

hornetguy

Post by hornetguy » Wed May 17, 2017 8:55 am

ballistol.....
It has kind of a famous oder, but I like it.
Yes.... although "famous" is probably not the descriptive term I'd use... more like 3 day old dog puke....
that stuff STINKS....

but, it is a pretty good lube.

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Wed May 17, 2017 10:47 am

<bumped and marked>

To answer the question- Hoppe's No. 9 usually, but any light oil in a pinch. I've used sewing machine oil, WD-40, 5w-20 motor oil, even veggie oil.
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed May 17, 2017 10:57 am

KJ4VOV wrote: I used to be a fan of 3 in 1, but in high school, I had a science professor who was a retired petroleum research chemist. The things that man taught us about petroleum and lubricants was fantastic. Anyway, he showed us that 3 in 1 used vegetable oil in its formulation and could go rancid. That's one reason why it gets so gummy and leaves a gummy film on things. After that I stopped buying it and using it.
I am not trying to be contradictory or justify my choices. I use it to simply wipe off finger prints and cover the bore and chambers of blued fire arms after handling them or a cleaning. It is cheap and handy. I think the can is 10 years old and only half used. :lol:

However 3 in 1 oil today (it is an old product and I have no knowledge of historical products) is basically naphthenic Oil and naptha. Per the MSDS only a maximum of 3% is anything but those products. Considering the high cost of vegetable oil vs that of petroleum based products I suspect that the 3% is basically what the oil patch refers to as BS&W.

It is in effect non-detergent oil.
http://www.concept2.com/files/pdf/us/mi ... -1-Oil.pdf

That said I also reviewed that test article again. I think I will try the frog lube for this purpose.

Thanks for bringing up this subject!

edited to add:
This is the MSDS for Frog Lube. It is basically food grade material.
http://froglube.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 3_8_12.pdf

This the MSDS for Break Free Aerosol.
http://www.sfm.state.or.us/CR2K_SubDB/M ... K_FREE.PDF

This is the MSDS for Rem Oil.
https://www.remington.com/sites/default ... Liquid.pdf

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Wed May 17, 2017 11:44 am

JeeperCreeper wrote: I also tried this fancy solvent a local store was pushing. It smelled like lemons and it froze up my Nickel Boron BCG in my AR so fast... so basically I stay away from anything "new and innovative".
Umm, "solvent" should have been a pretty clear warning. Solvents are not lubricants, they remove lubricants along with other things. When you applied it you basically decreased your gun, just as if you'd used brake or carb cleaner on it.
BTW, the "smell of lemons" tells me that it was most likely Limonene.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

LowKey
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead

Post by LowKey » Wed May 17, 2017 12:00 pm

For lube I use any of the following-
Coconut oil
Synthetic motor oil
White lithium grease (preference for food grade but it doesn't really matter).
GAA grease in a pinch.

For cleaning:
ATF
Limonene
Ed's Red if the bore has a LOT of fouling.

No need to spend a lot of cash on lubes.

Something I'd like to mention about lubing your firearms, or most other moving machinery for that matter.
If it slides/reciprocates use grease.
If it rotates use oil.

While there are exceptions to this, as a general guideline it works. There is a reason Glocks come with a grease on the rails and why the US military used to issue rifle grease as well as oil. Uncle Sam stopped issuing the grease because they wanted to simplify logistics with a three in one miracle product called CLP; short for Cleaner, Lubricant, and Protectant. It does all three things to an acceptable degree but does none of them as well as a product intended for a single one of those tasks. In other words it's okay but not optimal.

Another thing to point out-
Most automotive lubricants will do just fine. They are engineered to deal with much higher operating temperatures than your firearms will ever deal with and to last for many more "cycles" than you will put them through. Arguments can be made both pro and con for detergents in some of them*, but by and large they are superior performers to most "Gucci" gun products but with a much lower price.

Firearms really aren't that demanding of their lubricants, especially if you pay even a bit of attention to firearms maintenance.

*"It's keeps the carbon from building up" vs "It attracts dust and dirt into the lube and turns them into abrasives".
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

LowKey
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead

Post by LowKey » Wed May 17, 2017 12:06 pm

Hokicake wrote:I use this grey silvery goopy stuff on all my guns and it doesn't go away ever, I have it in guns that sit for 7 years untouched and it's still there like I just put it on.
I thought you were just starting to buy guns and were asking for advice in other threads?
You've had multiple firearms for more than 7 years?

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed May 17, 2017 12:51 pm

raptor wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote: I used to be a fan of 3 in 1, but in high school, I had a science professor who was a retired petroleum research chemist. The things that man taught us about petroleum and lubricants was fantastic. Anyway, he showed us that 3 in 1 used vegetable oil in its formulation and could go rancid. That's one reason why it gets so gummy and leaves a gummy film on things. After that I stopped buying it and using it.
I am not trying to be contradictory or justify my choices. I use it to simply wipe off finger prints and cover the bore and chambers of blued fire arms after handling them or a cleaning. It is cheap and handy. I think the can is 10 years old and only half used. :lol:

However 3 in 1 oil today (it is an old product and I have no knowledge of historical products) is basically naphthenic Oil and naptha. Per the MSDS only a maximum of 3% is anything but those products. Considering the high cost of vegetable oil vs that of petroleum based products I suspect that the 3% is basically what the oil patch refers to as BS&W.

It is in effect non-detergent oil.
http://www.concept2.com/files/pdf/us/mi ... -1-Oil.pdf

That said I also reviewed that test article again. I think I will try the frog lube for this purpose.

Thanks for bringing up this subject!

edited to add:
This is the MSDS for Frog Lube. It is basically food grade material.
http://froglube.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... 3_8_12.pdf

This the MSDS for Break Free Aerosol.
http://www.sfm.state.or.us/CR2K_SubDB/M ... K_FREE.PDF

This is the MSDS for Rem Oil.
https://www.remington.com/sites/default ... Liquid.pdf
In my defense, I want to point out that I graduated from high school in 1974, and he was my science teacher in my freshman year. It is entirely possible, even probable, that in the almost half century since then the formula of 3 in 1 may have changed. :lol:

Current Weather in My AO

LowKey
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead

Post by LowKey » Wed May 17, 2017 1:00 pm

KJ4VOV wrote: In my defense, I want to point out that I graduated from high school in 1974, and he was my science teacher in my freshman year. It is entirely possible, even probable, that in the almost half century since then the formula of 3 in 1 may have changed. :lol:
So what you're saying is that whale oil was still a common lubricant and in use as automatic transmission fluid? :awesome:

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Wed May 17, 2017 1:29 pm

I use synthetic motor oil and synthetic wheel bearing grease a lot. I keep Synthetic Motor oil in a Squirt bottle and use it for lots of things. Also, I have this additive call Petron Plus that i occasionally use. Its really just ultra refined natural motor oil. Great stuff. But I don't think it's really any better. A thingy can only be lubed so much.
I will say that I'd be inclined to use anything really.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed May 17, 2017 1:34 pm

LowKey wrote:
KJ4VOV wrote: In my defense, I want to point out that I graduated from high school in 1974, and he was my science teacher in my freshman year. It is entirely possible, even probable, that in the almost half century since then the formula of 3 in 1 may have changed. :lol:
So what you're saying is that whale oil was still a common lubricant and in use as automatic transmission fluid? :awesome:
As a matter of fact, yes it was.

Current Weather in My AO

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Wed May 17, 2017 2:16 pm

On the matter of automotive products, I have found Sea Foam to be a good cleaner of carbon. And cheap.

I am also a fan of ATF fluid.

But really, for cleaning, I usually just use Ballistol, unless I am reducing large carbon deposits, then the Sea Foam gets used.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”