Firearms Chat 4: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Re: Firearms Chat 4: #pewpewlife

Post by NT2C » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:10 pm

50 rounds of 9mm down range, followed by 50 rounds of .45 ACP. Shooting at full sized B27 silhouette targets at 75 yards I surprised myself and actually managed to get some on paper once I figured out where I needed to aim at that range. I guess I'm not as bad as I thought, or the practice is paying off. I'll never be a competition shooter, and these are EDC guns, not target pistols, so I'm pretty happy just getting hits on paper.

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:53 am

MPMalloy wrote:Maybe I should use something that has magnification built in instead of having to mount two separate things?
Honestly that decision comes down to what you need and what you're comfortable with.

The short list:
* Magnifiers as a rule have lower quality glass than scope or RDS, not sure if this is actually something the average shooter would notice.
* Variable power scopes don't work as well as RDS for RDS stuff at 1x due to scope shadow. There's also a lot of variables advertised as 1x-Nx that wind up being 1.1x-1.3x bottomed out, which is an issue unto itself especially if you shoot close quarters with both eyes open.
* Magnified RDS don't do scope things as well as scopes at range due to lower magnification. There is I believe an Eotech 6x magnifier that makes this division blurrier, and adding an etched RDS with BDC will make this division blurrier yet.
* Dead batteries are much less of a concern than they used to be with the rise of etched RDS reticles at lower price points.
* RDS + mag is generally better suited for 300 yards and under.
* Variable scopes are better suited for 25-600+ yards and a bit slower pace shooting.
* Fixed low magnification scopes/RDS do a lot very well but have their own drawbacks. The 4x ACSS/ACOG won't clear a room as comfortably as a 1.5x or an RDS, but it'll make you more effective at range.

YMMV. This is just info I've gathered reading about this very issue. Personally I run an RDS on my pistol, a 3-9x on my defensive rifle and a 4x on my 22. They all have their niche.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:01 am

Dogan wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:Maybe I should use something that has magnification built in instead of having to mount two separate things?
Honestly that decision comes down to what you need and what you're comfortable with.

The short list:
* Magnifiers as a rule have lower quality glass than scope or RDS, not sure if this is actually something the average shooter would notice.
* Variable power scopes don't work as well as RDS for RDS stuff at 1x due to scope shadow. There's also a lot of variables advertised as 1x-Nx that wind up being 1.1x-1.3x bottomed out, which is an issue unto itself especially if you shoot close quarters with both eyes open.
* Magnified RDS don't do scope things as well as scopes at range due to lower magnification. There is I believe an Eotech 6x magnifier that makes this division blurrier, and adding an etched RDS with BDC will make this division blurrier yet.
* Dead batteries are much less of a concern than they used to be with the rise of etched RDS reticles at lower price points.
* Variable scopes are better suited for 25-600+ yards and a bit slower pace shooting.
* Fixed low magnification scopes/RDS do a lot very well but have their own drawbacks. The 4x ACSS/ACOG won't clear a room as comfortably as a 1.5x or an RDS, but it'll make you more effective at range.

YMMV. This is just info I've gathered reading about this very issue. Personally I run an RDS on my pistol, a 3-9x on my defensive rifle and a 4x on my 22. They all have their niche.
I want to go out to 100m max. Say a 3x ?

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:37 am

MPMalloy wrote:Back from the range. I am going to the range again tomorrow (when you retire, you gotta stay active).

For those who use a magnifier, what is working for you? I'm going to need one, & I don't have much experience with optics. I am using a Vortex Spitfire AR prism scope. Maybe I should use something that has magnification built in instead of having to mount two separate things?
Where do you currently have the Vortex mounted on the receiver? IIRC, that prism sight has something like a 4" eye relief....if you have to move it further forward so you can mount a magnifier behind it, that may give you eye relief problems when you aren't using the magnifier.
whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

the_alias
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by the_alias » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:55 am

My new AIWB holster from Keepers Concealment arrived yesterday.

This is what an AWIB holster should be - I see so many holster companies pretending they have an AIWB holster and it's basically a more vertical regular IWB holster. It's a joke and I'd say they're either ignorant by accident or worse, by choice.

Worth the money and wait time.
Man is a beast of prey

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:11 am

RickOShea wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:Back from the range. I am going to the range again tomorrow (when you retire, you gotta stay active).For those who use a magnifier, what is working for you? I'm going to need one, & I don't have much experience with optics. I am using a Vortex Spitfire AR prism scope. Maybe I should use something that has magnification built in instead of having to mount two separate things?
Where do you currently have the Vortex mounted on the receiver? IIRC, that prism sight has something like a 4" eye relief....if you have to move it further forward so you can mount a magnifier behind it, that may give you eye relief problems when you aren't using the magnifier.
It's pretty close to my eye. I don't have any problems seeing thru it as it is right now. I just want to be able to go out to 100m if I have to. I'm open to a new optic.

HarlequinHal

Post by HarlequinHal » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:24 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Dogan wrote:

The short list:

I want to go out to 100m max. Say a 3x ?
I tried the red dot + magnifier route and it didn't work that well for me (YMMV). I ended up with a Millet DMS-1 mounted on my GSR. It's a bit heavier but is rock solid, the reticle is a 1 MOA dot surrounded by a 10 MOA circle (donut-dot) and can be illuminated but doesn't have to be. The 1.0 setting appears to be an actual 1.0, and magnification goes out to 4x.

Mine is an older version, but newer ones go up to 6x and you can get them with a new BCR reticle that's precalibrated for 5.56 out to 500 yds. Again, I've been very pleased with mine.

http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/dms/

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:04 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:Back from the range. I am going to the range again tomorrow (when you retire, you gotta stay active).For those who use a magnifier, what is working for you? I'm going to need one, & I don't have much experience with optics. I am using a Vortex Spitfire AR prism scope. Maybe I should use something that has magnification built in instead of having to mount two separate things?
It's pretty close to my eye. I don't have any problems seeing thru it as it is right now. I just want to be able to go out to 100m if I have to. I'm open to a new optic.
Well, there are plenty of 1-4x24 illuminated scopes out there, and they run the gamut in price....ya get what ya pay for (and don't forget, you'll need a scope mount)...

https://www.midwayusa.com/

If you like that prism-style, there are some fixed 3x versions...

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms ... -acss-5-56

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/52541 ... icle-matte

https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-SP ... B00HYRGNLM
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:22 pm

Full-auto Glock w/ 100 round C-Mag:

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:09 pm

PSA has 10 pmags and a Vortex Strikefire II for $178 not sure how good the optic is but hey 10 pmags and an optic for under 200 is pretty good deal I believe.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/vortex-s ... 3a00+Email
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Langenator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zombieland, Shaun of the Dead (and Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series if they ever make them into movies)

Post by Langenator » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:35 pm

Academy and Cabela's both list the Strikefire for $179, Optics Planet at $159.

So that's basically the PMags for free. Or $2 each.
Fortunis Fortus Paratus

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:48 pm

Langenator wrote:Academy and Cabela's both list the Strikefire for $179, Optics Planet at $159.

That's why I posted it. I don't know the quality of them.... but Shit I think I'm going to have to get it. but I keep buying PMAGs. I have over 60 now. plus the 50 regular metal ones. sigh. #GunProblems

ETA: By "them" I mean the optics....
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:19 am

I'm been using a Sig Romeo 5 for a little while. It's doing fine. It seems to take a beating. $160 at Wallyworld dot com.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:13 am

Halfapint wrote:
Langenator wrote:Academy and Cabela's both list the Strikefire for $179, Optics Planet at $159.

That's why I posted it. I don't know the quality of them.... but Shit I think I'm going to have to get it. but I keep buying PMAGs. I have over 60 now. plus the 50 regular metal ones. sigh. #GunProblems

ETA: By "them" I mean the optics....
Midway has sales periodically on new M2 30 rnd PMAGS pack of 10 for 79.99 plus shipping. Sometimes it'll coincide with a free shipping deal. [In case you don't want the optic.]

[the optics planet one is a demo]
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:21 pm

Fwonking S&W is trying to screw me out of my $75 rebate. :vmad:

They won't honor my receipt from PSA. This after telling me more than a month ago that the claim had been accepted.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:41 pm

The KG9 is basically sighted in. I will be working on the report this weekend.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:43 pm

Got my four free pistol mags, holster, and mag pouch from Springfield Armory a few weeks ago, no problems.Image

ETA: Submitted my info and Bud's receipt online on April 10th, received my stuff on June 2nd.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:01 pm

Unofficial Rules of Buying Ammunition Online
  1. The site with free shipping doesn't have your ammo.
  2. When shopping for multiple calibers or ammo types whatever savings you find on one type will be offset by the price of the other type(s) on the same site.
  3. The amount of any discount will be inversely proportional to shipping costs.
  4. Ammunition with the largest rebate will have the longest shipping time.
  5. Whatever ammo you need immediately will be backordered.
  6. You can have the sale price, or you can use your coupon code, never both.
  7. Whatever time you normally get deliveries, ammunition deliveries will always take place after it's too late to go to the range.
  8. The ammunition you're completely out of will always arrive last.
  9. The person delivering your marked ammunition orders will always be an anti-gunner.

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:03 pm

Finally got my new upper..... $130 shipped. DPMS Slick Slide. Couldn't pass that up. Picked it up and realized how light it was. Then realized it didn't have anyway to attach a dust cover, and no forward assist.

It's VERY clean, like the way it looks along with the SS bbl. need to go out and shoot it and see how it fires.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:03 pm

Ruh-roh....

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:10 pm

RickOShea wrote:Ruh-roh....

Sig should recall every single one.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:15 am

Omaha Outdoors? Now that's a company I'd want to do business with. Any company that would go through their own testing like this, of a product they only sell, not manufacture, and then create such an effective public announcement of their findings is a company with moral integrity and values.

And yes, Sig needs to address this quickly, probably with a trigger redesign and recall.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:00 am

['youtube]Sig video was here[/youtube]
Wow, from the pictures I've seen I thought it was a smallish handgun. It looks very big, I'll haveta read the specs. :oops:
To me it looked like it fired but didn't cycle in the slowmo?

I have a bunch of P320's I can sell you, never fired and only dropped once, and then fired... wait...

Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:07 am

MacWa77ace wrote:

['youtube]Sig video was here[/youtube]
To me it looked like it fired but didn't cycle in the slowmo?
Since the guy was just standing there, dropping it on the floor right in front of himself, I should think that they pulled the boolitz and powder from the cartridges. Image
Last edited by RickOShea on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”