Firearms Chat 4: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

brothaman

Re: Firearms Chat 4: #pewpewlife

Post by brothaman » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:47 am

WOOT! Just made a deal to sell a rifle! I just need to collect the monies and then I can order my Revolver! :awesome:
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:56 pm

My LGS called & my KG9 will be ready tomorrow. I will have a report next week. I will try & include pics. I have an imgur account & I could only upload about half my pics to it. It would just freeze. If anyone could help me, please PM.

Thanks.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:22 pm

RickOShea wrote:Reminds me of the old Stractech FAST thingie...

Yo dawg, I heard your like magazines, so I made a magazine for your magazines!
[/end stale meme]
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:24 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
brothaman wrote:I have some more money to save and then a 4 to 6 month wait, but I will absolutely post pics.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Sweet.

If Photobucket hadn't decided to be a bunch of greedy bastards, I'd have posted pics of the new guns I've bought over the past four years.

Time to find a new photo hosting site, I guess.
I prefer and recommend IMGUR. Straightforward, free, haven't experienced any BS with them.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:43 pm

Thanks, Dogan. When I decide to upload some pics, I'll check Imgur.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:18 pm

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:28 pm

RickOShea wrote:LOL, folding Glock...https://www.instagram.com/p/BXEaAX5A6HA/
It won't come thru for me. Could anyone post the pic/vid here?

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:38 pm

longy wrote:
Beowolf wrote:This thread reminds me I should clean and oil my guns.

Even though it's been pretty dry here, the general humidity in Virginia freaks me out. I try to keep my stuff well oiled. Don't think I'm overdoing it...
For blued carry guns, I recommend a double coat of paste wax. It wont tolerate solvent or oils, so you have to completely de-grease the gun with alcohol and then lube it with lockease graphite. I dont practice much with the carry gun. I dont want the wear and fouling on it, so I have a spare "practice" gun. On that, i just run a fresh squirt or 2 of Wd40 before each range trip.

They're your guns Zantra, I mean Longy... yeah... Longy... so use what you will, but WD-40 isn't a lubricant. In fact almost the opposite... The light machine oil suspension will prevent damage for one or two cycles (maybe) but if you're serious, you're likely doing damage to the reciprocating parts.

And paste wax?

Seriously?
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:19 pm

Longy recommends paste wax inside your "silencers" to get a few more dB of silence and enhanced rapidfire accuracy during CQB
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:23 pm

Why do I get the feeling Longy is actually Zantra or the recently banned Hokicake?

Also, WD40 as lube ? Really ? :?

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:30 pm

What a noob. Where does Longy think paste wax is going to come from after TSHTF? Everybody knows that in order to survive TEOTWAKI you'll have to be completely on your own, cut off from supplies. That's why I coat all of my weapons ( the pocket 9 and my shorty AR) with ear wax.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:43 pm

yossarian wrote:What a noob. Where does Longy think paste wax is going to come from after TSHTF? Everybody knows that in order to survive TEOTWAKI you'll have to be completely on your own, cut off from supplies. That's why I coat all of my weapons ( the pocket 9 and my shorty AR) with ear wax.
You use ear wax ?

I've been coating mine in bacon grease. Works great and whenever I fire off a shot, it smells like breakfast. :lol:

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:46 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
yossarian wrote:What a noob. Where does Longy think paste wax is going to come from after TSHTF? Everybody knows that in order to survive TEOTWAKI you'll have to be completely on your own, cut off from supplies. That's why I coat all of my weapons ( the pocket 9 and my shorty AR) with ear wax.
You use ear wax ?

I've been coating mine in bacon grease. Works great and whenever I fire off a shot, it smells like breakfast. :lol:
I tried that, some of the other members of my militia would lick all my guns when they got the chance. The ear wax has mostly put an end to that.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:57 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:You use ear wax ?

No wonder the feral hogs didn't know you were going to assassinate them!! Brilliant! They could neither hear nor smell your .22LR suppressed target pistol

My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:01 pm

longy wrote:
Beowolf wrote:This thread reminds me I should clean and oil my guns.

Even though it's been pretty dry here, the general humidity in Virginia freaks me out. I try to keep my stuff well oiled. Don't think I'm overdoing it...
For blued carry guns, I recommend a double coat of paste wax. It wont tolerate solvent or oils, so you have to completely de-grease the gun with alcohol and then lube it with lockease graphite. I dont practice much with the carry gun. I dont want the wear and fouling on it, so I have a spare "practice" gun. On that, i just run a fresh squirt or 2 of Wd40 before each range trip.
I prefer Armor All. When I pull my pistol it slides right out of the holster and my hand and hits the bad guy right between the eyes. "Bonk!!" and down he goes like a sack of potatoes without me even firing a shot.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:08 pm

yossarian wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
You use ear wax ?

I tried that, some of the other members of my militia would lick all my guns when they got the chance. The ear wax has mostly put an end to that.
Yeah, the only one licking your guns now is Lenny, but that's mostly because he's used to eating crayons and apparently ear wax has the same flavor.

Now if we could just get him to shut up about the damn rabbits.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:09 pm

teotwaki wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:You use ear wax ?

No wonder the feral hogs didn't know you were going to assassinate them!! Brilliant! They could neither hear nor smell your .22LR suppressed target pistol

Yep. And I've got a damn near unlimited source of bacon and bacon grease to lube my guns. :clap:

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:21 pm

Antics aside, I have a question.

Does anyone have really good recommendations for shotgun ammo used at night?

I know Federal and Winchester make loads clearly marked for law enforcement. I figure they will be more ideal for use at night.

Does anybody else out there use powders which might be more efficient at burning or might contain flash suppressants?

Thank you for any advice.

Weapon has a 18 inch barrel.

I"m thinking #4 will have a balance of penetration on people and .....less.... lethality on neighbors if there were ever to be a miss. It's better than the AK and my FMJs. Or the .38 for that matter. And it only has to be effective to 6 yards.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:25 pm

I think Hornady makes a shotgun load that uses low flash powder, Woodsghost. I know they make slugs, but I'm not sure about buckshot loads. All of my buckshot is a mix of Remington UMC and Winchester military grade stuff.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:44 pm

Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:57 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I think Hornady makes a shotgun load that uses low flash powder, Woodsghost. I know they make slugs, but I'm not sure about buckshot loads. All of my buckshot is a mix of Remington UMC and Winchester military grade stuff.
Forgot about them. :roll: I love their Critical Duty/Defense line. Thanks!

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:27 pm

Speaking of Hornady... When I first saw this I had to think for a second if it was April 1st.

$10 per round... might be cool if you're seriously into bench shooting or going for that last bit of fine tuning on a true precision rifle.

Edit: I'm a dumbass...old video. Very late april fools to me!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:07 pm

woodsghost wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:I think Hornady makes a shotgun load that uses low flash powder, Woodsghost. I know they make slugs, but I'm not sure about buckshot loads. All of my buckshot is a mix of Remington UMC and Winchester military grade stuff.
Forgot about them. :roll: I love their Critical Duty/Defense line. Thanks!
No problem, Woodsghost. I'd like to try out some of their shotgun shells too.

I'll probably pick up a box the next time I make an Academy run. I need some more 9mm and .45 ACP anyway.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:48 pm

This is a really good video on steel armor and 5.56 penetration.

TL:DW...

XM193 (55gr at 5.56 pressure) out of a 22 inch barrel (3200+fps) will not only penetrate AR500 steel, it will be very lethal on the other side.

M855 Green Tip (62gr, 5.56 pressure) does not penetrate AR500 armor, even when shot out of a 22 inch barrel.

Really neat.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”