Firearms Chat 4: #pewpewlife

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Firearms Chat 4: #pewpewlife

Post by ManInBlack316 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:21 pm

Okay, to make sure I understand the current process for not going through a trust:
Select my receiver that I wish to register as an SBR
Get passport photo and fingerprints done
Have local sheriff sign off on the form
Send forms and $200 to the ATF, wait for approval
Get approval and tax stamp back
Can now put my pistol upper onto the lower I just registered with the ATF
Correct?

I currently have an AR pistol and a standard 16" AR. My thought is to register the 16" receiver as the SBR, could I swap the pistol upper back and forth between the SBR receiver and the pistol receiver once it is properly registered? My goal is to be able to have my SBR, but keep the pistol receiver so that I can have my stuff in places where SBRs are not allowed or if I don't want to deal with NFA stuff while traveling to see family.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:40 pm

Yes.

You'll still have to engrave the lower with your name, city, and state though...you're "making" a new firearm and need to register it to you. You'll also list the serial number and manufacturer of the host receiver in another block on the form 1, but now have to have a registration for the SBR as well.

Strongly recommend a trust, regardless of the new need for finger prints so the asset can pass on /transfer without further taxation...who knows how long the $200 tax will last. Though I (regretfully) paid to have the first of ours drawn up, there are many examples available for free online and the largest expense will be simply getting it notarized.

Also bypasses the CLEO sign off requirement which is a real challenge in many jurisdictions.

You can list this lower as the first asset in the trust, or anything really. I started with some silver coins listed but have seen everything from a family bible to tools listed.

I just add to the schedule A (list of assets) whenever I buy another NFA item registered to the trust.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:14 pm

Ok so my Deadpool rifle build is out getting the cerakoting done. Should have it back in a couple of weeks and then I can fully assemble it. I had to go to hobby lobby yesterday to get some supplies for my sons school project that is due next week and decided to get some testors model paint for my spikes punisher lower. This is the finished product. Need to clean it up a though. I used a toothpick to apply the paint.

Now I think I have to do the safe/fire on all my AR's just because I can. I think I read somewhere that bad guys prefer to be shot with rifles that clearly display the safe/fire settings in color coded pictograms.

Now to start acquiring the parts for my next visualized project. I think I need a Civil War set of matched AR's along this line.

I understand how getting range time can be a pain at times. I was supposed get some trigger time this weekend but we ended up with my wife's nephew staying with us at the last minute as his parents had to work out of town this weekend. I have 12 rifles I need to get zeroed at some point soon. Not sure when as now that my sons baseball season has started I have lost Saturdays for the foreseeable future. Sad part is my shooting spot s literally a couple of miles down at the end of the street I live on.
Regulators mount up.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:15 pm

zobmiedown wrote:...

I don't want to like that...but I have to admit, I kind of like that! :crazy:
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:19 pm

91Eunozs wrote:...
I just add to the schedule A (list of assets) whenever I buy another NFA item registered to the trust.
Speaking of tax stamps... Two more came in today!

Only 1 remaining from my "pre-fingerprint required with a trust" binge last summer.

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:07 pm

Congrats on your tax stamps arriving. How long did they take? What calibers are they?
Regulators mount up.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:15 pm

I went to the range today. The white dot on my front sight came off. Also, I am no longer accurate with .40 S&W. This blows, real bad as I am invested in my Rugers & ammo. I may find someone to buy the firearms. The ammo, I dunno.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:30 pm

MPMalloy wrote:I went to the range today. The white dot on my front sight came off. Also, I am no longer accurate with .40 S&W. This blows, real bad as I am invested in my Rugers & ammo. I may find someone to buy the firearms. The ammo, I dunno.
Depends on how much ammo you have. You can sell ammo on gunbroker. Probably the other sites too. You can ship ammo through UPS. I think you may have to ship through an actual hub, not the little satellites they have in cities, but I could be wrong. You have to mark the ammo with an "ORD" label. It looks like this:

Shipping less than 50 lbs of ammo is fine. Shipping more than that gets expensive, IIRC.

If the price is right, folks will buy ammo.

So the white dot came off? What about filling it back in with white paint?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:33 pm

So I found out this is a thing:

9mm revolver!!!!!

https://www.czechpoint-usa.com/czechpoi ... m-para?l=1

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:33 pm

Do they still make those little bottles of Testors?

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:39 pm

MPMalloy wrote:Do they still make those little bottles of Testors?
Google "testors white enamel paint"

Found it on walmart and a bunch of other sites. Walmart is my litmus test for "available everywhere." :)

I'm not sure if it is in Walmart stores, but if it can be ordered online, it can probably be sent to a store and picked up or just sent to your house. A bunch of places seem willing to ship it.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:08 pm

woodsghost wrote:So I found out this is a thing:

9mm revolver!!!!!

Charter Arms makes (or used to make) one, Smith & Wesson still does and I know Ruger has some convertible models of the Blackhawk that fire 9mm as well.

Given the popularity of the 9mm Luger, I'm surprised there's not more companies making a 9mm revolver.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:19 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
Charter Arms makes (or used to make) one, Smith & Wesson still does and I know Ruger has some convertible models of the Blackhawk that fire 9mm as well.

Given the popularity of the 9mm Luger, I'm surprised there's not more companies making a 9mm revolver.
Oh thanks Chimp! Now I have to peek at guns and then get back to constructive things :rofl:

EDIT:

The S&W looks amazing. The CZ is a full size with a pretty reasonable price tag. If compacts are what one is looking for, those Charter Arms, S&W, and Ruger LCR look like great choices!
Last edited by woodsghost on Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:32 pm

woodsghost wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

Oh thanks Chimp! Now I have to peek at guns and then get back to constructive things :rofl:
Welcome to my world, Woods. There's cookies on the table to your left and I think there might still be some beer in the fridge. :lol:

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:28 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:My SKS is now scoped. I can't wait to start blastin' commies with their own stuff!
One of my great frustrations in life is that the communists have not had the decency to invade and lose like proper 80's bad guys.
Yeah. I have my own AK and everything and they still haven't invaded like we were promised by every 80's action movie. I want to go shoot bad guys in a mall with Chuck Norris, blow up a Russian tank with Patrick Swayze (although since he's dead now I may have to settle for blowing up the tank with his ghost), and rescue POWs with Sylvester Stallone like those movies said I would be able to. :lol:
Don't forget Gene Hackman AND Patrick Swayze in 'Uncommon Valor' rescuing POW with rusty old WWII weapons, in Laos IIRC, I paid to see that 3 times in the theater.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

ImageImageImage

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:33 pm

MacWa77ace wrote:
12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:
woodsghost wrote:
MPMalloy wrote:My SKS is now scoped. I can't wait to start blastin' commies with their own stuff!
One of my great frustrations in life is that the communists have not had the decency to invade and lose like proper 80's bad guys.
Yeah. I have my own AK and everything and they still haven't invaded like we were promised by every 80's action movie. I want to go shoot bad guys in a mall with Chuck Norris, blow up a Russian tank with Patrick Swayze (although since he's dead now I may have to settle for blowing up the tank with his ghost), and rescue POWs with Sylvester Stallone like those movies said I would be able to. :lol:
Don't forget Gene Hackman AND Patrick Swayze in 'Uncommon Valor' rescuing POW with rusty old WWII weapons, in Laos IIRC, I paid to see that 3 times in the theater.
I totally forgot about that movie. :oops:

I actually used to have the DVD of it and watched it a couple times. I seem to recall Tex Cobb and Fred Ward (Earl from the Tremors series) were in the movie as well.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:50 pm

12_Gauge_Chimp wrote:

9mm revolver!!!!!

As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:02 pm

MPMalloy wrote:Do they still make those little bottles of Testors?
White-out followed by clear nail polish

John Titor was right

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:06 pm

or also this http://www.armslist.com/posts/5738943/c ... 5-revolver found quite a few on armslist

John Titor was right

zobmiedown

Post by zobmiedown » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:13 pm

Wal-Mart in my AO does not sell model kits or the Testors paint. I did pick up some at the Hobby Lobby across the street from my local Wal-Mart this last Monday that I used to do the Safe and Fire markings on one of my AR's. came out so well that I want to do the rest of my AR's. Not sure yet how it will stand up to gun cleaning chemicals yet but I don't typically submerge my lowers in the sonic cleaner anyway so it should be fine.

One bottle of the Testors paint should do a hundred or so rifles I would imagine. Now this thread has me thinking about using the bottle of orange that came in the paint kit for pistol front sights.
Regulators mount up.

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:33 am

91Eunozs wrote:
91Eunozs wrote:...
Speaking of tax stamps... Two more came in today!

Only 1 remaining from my "pre-fingerprint required with a trust" binge last summer.

I'm over 8 months and still waiting from just a hair before 'new rules' on my last one. Sent July 7 '16 IIRC. I did the same thing, I'm kicking myself for not getting a 308 stripped lower and registering it, but I was completely out of money. :oops: 3 items in four months was waaay over my gunfund limit.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

ImageImageImage

hondo

Post by hondo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:58 pm

ManInBlack316 wrote:Okay, to make sure I understand the current process for not going through a trust:
Select my receiver that I wish to register as an SBR
Get passport photo and fingerprints done
"Have local sheriff sign off on the form" The ATF has officially removed the requirement for your local CLEO to sign ... In short, no longer will anyone need permission from their local Chief
Send forms and $200 to the ATF, wait for approval
Get approval and tax stamp back
Can now put my pistol upper onto the lower I just registered with the ATF
Correct?

I currently have an AR pistol and a standard 16" AR. My thought is to register the 16" receiver as the SBR, could I swap the pistol upper back and forth between the SBR receiver and the pistol receiver once it is properly registered? My goal is to be able to have my SBR, but keep the pistol receiver so that I can have my stuff in places where SBRs are not allowed or if I don't want to deal with NFA stuff while traveling to see family.

hondo

Post by hondo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:00 pm

9mm revolver!!!!!

It is nice toy but build with such high tolerances , needs to be cleaned after 100 rounds or so, if gets dirty it starts jamming.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:01 pm

hondo wrote:

9mm revolver!!!!!

It is nice toy but build with such high tolerances , needs to be cleaned after 100 rounds or so, if gets dirty it starts jamming.
Ouch! Kinda removes the reason for owning a revolver. Have you owned one? Or have friends who own one?

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”