Well I have to replace the Kahr

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Well I have to replace the Kahr

Post by The Twizzler » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:54 pm

So as some as you know I bought a Kahr CW380 a while back for concealed ankle carry and was quite pleased with it. It looks great, it's very light, the sights are good, the trigger is excellent, it's quite accurate for such a small and light gun. I was willing to look the other way with failure to feed problems as Kahr recomends a 200 round break in period. This made sense as pulling back the slide was quite tough. It took a while to reach around 200 rounds as it has a 6 round magazine and, did I mention the slide being hard to rack? After 3-4 magazines I really didn't want to shoot anymore as slide rack was so darned tough (it's a double spring with very little space to grab on to.)

Well any ideas on a replacement within these parameters
1. sub 600 dollar gun-the lesser the better
2. Reliable
3. suitable for ankle or pocket carry, size and weight wise
4. thinner grip - Glock 17 and 19's are to thick for my preference so revolvers or single stacks for larger callibers
5. Not a sw bodyguard, Taurus, sccy pistol. I don't like their triggers
6. revolvers and surplus guns welcome as long as they are reliable and accurate
7. NO derringers :evil:
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Well I have to replace the Kahr

Post by ManInBlack316 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:35 pm

Ruger LC9s or S&W Shield? Both can be had somewhere a little over $300 if you shop around online, PSA sometimes has deals going for free shipping on either one, then whatever your LGS charges you for the transfer.
Edit: What about the Springfield XDS?

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:39 pm

How about a Glock 43 or 42 ?

Both are single stack guns and the frames are pretty thin. My only experience with either one is just handling each one at various gun shops out here, but they might fit your parameters, Twizzler.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:53 pm

-What about the LCP? Super cheap. And the LCP Custom is supposed to have a decent trigger (the red triggered one). Plus they just came out with the LCPII. I like my LCP a lot for CCW.

-I like the Bodyguard even though you said no. It's a great pocket gun, I think it is the best.

-I also like the Glock 42... but it is bigger than the bodyguard and LCP with the same capacity and caliber. But it's a Glock and probably shoots nice.

-Shields are cheap. But you're getting into bigger sizes, especially for ankle carry.

-Don't get a Diamondback DB9 no matter how small it is for a 9mm

Honestly, if you want a pocket gun, go Ruger or Smith... maybe Keltec as an honorable mention
If you want a single stack CCW that is slightly bigger than pocket, go XDS, Shield, Glock 43, LC9

But there are so many options now-a-days
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:12 am

Yea, I was looking at the LCP 2, glock 43, SW J frame, also maybe a Polish P-64 or Bulgarian or Russian Makarov. I have had a Hungarian Pa-63 before and currently own a CZ-82 (its a little heavy and large for this.) Possibly a 50's-80's Colt 2 inch 6 shot so called bankers gun in 38 special.

gunsandrockets
Favorite Zombie Movies: 1979 Dawn of the Dead
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:24 am

Ruger LCR revolver. It has a magic DA trigger pull. If single action trigger pull is important (probably not if you were happy with the Kahr), then get the LCRx, but the LCRx DA pull is not as good as the LCR.

What I love about the small revolvers is how customizable they are compared to autos.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:09 am

Doesn't Beretta make some small guns? Nobody has mentioned them, is there something wrong with them?

Personally I would go with a Bodyguard, SCCY, or Taurus.....
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:20 pm

woodsghost wrote:Doesn't Beretta make some small guns? Nobody has mentioned them, is there something wrong with them?

Personally I would go with a Bodyguard, SCCY, or Taurus.....
Only problem I have with the Beretta guns is they're way too small for me, but then again I do have pretty large hands and even the Glock 19 is a bit small for me.

The Pico (or whatever they call it) is pretty slim, about the same thickness as the average man's wallet with no money in it. The Nano is just slightly bigger, but has a much thicker frame and feels more like the LCP or LC9. Same size too, come to think of it.

I'd avoid the Taurus Curve simply because it's a goofy design that feels really awkward in the hand. It's almost like holding one of those Kimber Pepper Blaster pepper spray things, but with a curve in it. That and it's definitely not a lefty friendly design.

CG

Post by CG » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:22 pm

I'm still loving my Sig Sauer P238.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

Mad Mike
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead & world war Z

Post by Mad Mike » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:27 pm

JeeperCreeper wrote:-What about the LCP? Super cheap. And the LCP Custom is supposed to have a decent trigger (the red triggered one). Plus they just came out with the LCPII. I like my LCP a lot for CCW.

-I like the Bodyguard even though you said no. It's a great pocket gun, I think it is the best.

-I also like the Glock 42... but it is bigger than the bodyguard and LCP with the same capacity and caliber. But it's a Glock and probably shoots nice.

-Shields are cheap. But you're getting into bigger sizes, especially for ankle carry.

-Don't get a Diamondback DB9 no matter how small it is for a 9mm

Honestly, if you want a pocket gun, go Ruger or Smith... maybe Keltec as an honorable mention
If you want a single stack CCW that is slightly bigger than pocket, go XDS, Shield, Glock 43, LC9

But there are so many options now-a-days

Do you have some experience with the Diamondback? :?:

Smash05
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Smash05 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:37 pm

Radom P64
Those who are prepared to help themselves, are prepared to help others.

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:27 am

Another vote for the Shield - my 9mm version has, in my opinion, hit the sweet spot of concealability and shootability. It is remarkably accurate and the trigger is pretty much where I want it in a striker-fired gun - 5 lbs. or so.

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:07 am

Beretta Pico (.380) and Nano (9mm) are in the neighborhood of $300 new.

AND my wife is looking to sell her Pico, she bought it new and it literally has only been fired 12 times- we're too far away to do a F-T-F transfer.... but make me an offer and I'll take it to her and we can work out the legal logistics.

But on your FTF issue on the Kahr: what types of rounds are you using? Mrs. Morphine's Pico will only eat brass case round nose FMJ.
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:15 pm

Well that's nice of you but I choose the Kahr over the Pico when I bought it. I know little guns are finicky which is one reason I went with the cheap Uncle Mike's ankle holster. I am tired of being lead astray by the tiny pocket pistols. That is why I am thinking about a revolver. It's on the back burner for now though as the washer just went out so I have an expensive trip to Home Depot in my future.

Oh to answer your question I was using brass cased ammo it actually preferred Blazer ammo over Hornady and wouldn't feed Fiochi at all.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:18 pm

Check out a S&W model 638. It is lightweight has an excellent DA trigger, SA is possible and it is highly snag resistant.

The Ruger LCR is likewise an excellent choice.

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:36 pm

So if I did go with a revolver it's probably gonna be a 38 ( or maybe 22 lr or 22 mag :P ) I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on ammo was. I was thinking wad cutters vs hollow points.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:56 am

I use Speer Gold Dot +p 135 gr Short Barrel ammo in my S&W 638. They are not fun to shoot in a J frame. The Ruger LCR is much more comfortable with these loads.

I do not like wadcutters. YMMV.

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:36 am

The Twizzler wrote:So if I did go with a revolver it's probably gonna be a 38 ( or maybe 22 lr or 22 mag :P ) I was wondering what everyone's thoughts on ammo was. I was thinking wad cutters vs hollow points.
I use Remington target 158 grain lead semi-wadcutters in my S&W Model 637. I think hollow points are over-rated in general and particularly mediocre when fired from a snub-nosed small frame revolver. Rather than chase a chimera of super-lethal ammo, you should choose whatever ammo is accurate, reliable, and provides a reasonable level of muzzle blast and recoil (easy to do with a revolver).

It's ridiculously expensive, but I have on layaway right now a S&W Model 351PD .22 mag snub-nosed revolver. It is crazy light weight (aluminum cylinder and frame!), it holds seven shots and is very pretty. I plan on buying Hornady Critical Defense ammo for it.
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

doc66

Post by doc66 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:46 am

.22s are not defensive rounds.

Personally (and the opinion of others who have owned them), the LCR isn't worth it, you'll have the same problems you're having with the Kahr.

The LCR is a fantastic little revolver.

Get the Glock.
http://www.milcopptactical.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:30 am

gunsandrockets wrote: Snip...
Rather than chase a chimera of super-lethal ammo, you should choose whatever ammo is accurate, reliable, and provides a reasonable level of muzzle blast and recoil....snip
Well said! Quoted for truth!

This IMO is the best answer regarding any question about "what ammo is best" and the logic can even be extended to the "what caliber is best".

Try different rounds and see what works best for you (in terms of reliability and repeatable accuracy) in that particular firearm. With a new firearm you need to run about 200 rounds through it so this is great time to experiment with different ammo.

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:19 pm

doc66 wrote: Personally (and the opinion of others who have owned them), the LCR isn't worth it, ....

The LCR is a fantastic little revolver.
:shock:

Alllrighty then!

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:30 pm

doc66 wrote:.22s are not defensive rounds.
And why not? What makes the .22 wholly inadequate, yet a .380 or 9mm or .40 adequate?

Simply put, ALL the CCW handgun rounds are inadequate.

Or as I prefer to sum it all up, "brain hits matter!" :idea:

(And if you you would like to continue discussion of this topic, I suggest starting a new thread)

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:36 pm

gunsandrockets wrote:
doc66 wrote:.22s are not defensive rounds.
And why not? What makes the .22 wholly inadequate, yet a .380 or 9mm or .40 adequate?

Simply put, ALL the CCW handgun rounds are inadequate.

Or as I prefer to sum it all up, "brain hits matter!" :idea:

(And if you you would like to continue discussion of this topic, I suggest starting a new thread)
That's gonna be a long list that I think there have been several threads on already, but to sum it up: Penetration and reliability. 22lr can't pass the FBI penetration benchmark (380 just barely passes and is the bare minimum most people are comfortable with), and rimfire primers are inherently unreliable and this is something that can't really be addressed too much due to cartridge design.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

gunsandrockets
Sean of the Dead
Zombieland
The Walking Dead

Post by gunsandrockets » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:44 pm

The Twizzler wrote:So if I did go with a revolver it's probably gonna be a 38 ( or maybe 22 lr or 22 mag :P )...
About 22 rimfire revolvers:

One thing that should be mentioned is rimfire handguns require heavier strikers/hammers for reliable ignition of rimfire ammunition. This can be a particular annoyance in revolvers because the stiffer mainspring compels a significantly heavier DA trigger pull.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”