Post it notes for sighting in targets...

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

chills1994

Post it notes for sighting in targets...

Post by chills1994 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:01 pm

The idea to do this came from the chat thread.

So I bought 3 inch by 3 inch and 2 inch by 2 inch post it notes from wally world.

I came up with two different configurations. The first is with a 1 inch gap:

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt11 ... p1drta.jpg

My theory being that I would try to steady the gun/scope just so.... that there were equal amounts of post it note, i.e. symmetrical, around the crosshairs.

What seemed to work best was the blue color:

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt11 ... w7cpe2.jpg

That was a seven shot group.

Then I tried the land surveyor type target configuration:

http://i603.photobucket.com/albums/tt11 ... g0vpue.jpg

That was trickier to get lined up on.

That day glow yellow color was horrible.

I would say the hunter orange color came in second place behind the blue.

The blue color surprised me, but I guess it provided the best contrast.

I have tried the day glow orange, green, and pink duct tape wally world. I have also tried the day glow Avery labels. Unfortunately, they don't make a 2X2 or 3X3 label that is day glow. Or at least I couldn't find it on their website.

I just thought I would throw this idea out there if you are looking for cheap target you could make yourself.

I

Guns are icky!

olbaid_dratsab

Re: Post it notes for sighting in targets...

Post by olbaid_dratsab » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:23 pm

I always wanted to try putting something like a cheap light offset behind the target to make holes pop a little more when viewed through a spotting scope. Maybe couple it an overhang of the target stand to block direct sunlight on the holes from the front so back lit holes contrast a little more. This is more because my spotting scope sucks and not all my rifle scopes have a high magnification...and walking down range to annotate dope sucks.

I have a scope level so its a little more forgiving with lining up cross hairs. Usually I just use a brown paisty.
Hellow fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you. Thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What?. Taxes. They'll be lower son. The Democratic vote for me is right thing to do, Philadeplhia. So do.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:54 pm

I have been using post it notes for years. They work great! You can use them to cover the bullet holes and reduce the number of times you need to change targets.

The ones with lines at regular intervals make sighting in that much easier.

chills1994

Post by chills1994 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:35 pm

olbaid_dratsab wrote:I always wanted to try putting something like a cheap light offset behind the target to make holes pop a little more when viewed through a spotting scope. Maybe couple it an overhang of the target stand to block direct sunlight on the holes from the front so back lit holes contrast a little more. This is more because my spotting scope sucks and not all my rifle scopes have a high magnification...and walking down range to annotate dope sucks.

I have a scope level so its a little more forgiving with lining up cross hairs. Usually I just use a brown paisty.
I am sure you have seen the bullethole stickers people put on the back of their cars, right?

So what I had done was take a can of 3M spray adhesive, and glued a piece of aluminum foil to a piece of carboard. Then I spray painted the foil side black.

When I shot it, it would flake off like those bullet hole stickers. So it was basically like a Shoot-N-C target.

I am sure there are other methods out there to make your own Shoot-N-C targets if you go to YouTube

Guns are icky!

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:49 pm

I think another cheap reactive target would be those little coloring pages they sell where you scratch off the black coating (kind of like what's on lotto scratchers) to reveal colors and draw designs.

Actually, the next time I'm at the dollar store, I might see if they have any and try it out myself and get back to y'all with my findings.

Off to the Dollar Tree I go.

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”