Deer Rifle conundrum

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Deer Rifle conundrum

Post by The Twizzler » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:11 pm

So I grew up in a non gun home but started to get interested in firearms 5 years ago. I want to hunt deer succesfuly this Fall. My choices are 7.62 Enfield,and Mosin Nagant, both with irons or a scped 30/30 Marlin. As no one ever taught me I am lookin for advice and tips. I tried hunting last year with no luck.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

quazi

Re: Deer Rifle conundrum

Post by quazi » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:21 pm

It seems like any of those would work, but I've never hunted deer.

My first inclination would be towards the scoped .30-30. What kind of scope is on it?

What kind of ranges would you expect to be shooting at?

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:31 pm

It is a 3x9 Redfield I think from the 70-80 year range. I am wondering what I should look for and a time of day to hunt. I am thinkinking sub 200 yards.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:11 am

Another vote for the marlin. Conventional Bubba wisdom holds .30-.30 as the most sacred of deer killers. Lighter and handier then the surplus guns as well I assume. definitely get the scope out in crappy (cloudy, darkish) weather and see how clear it is in less then ideal circumstances.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

hondo

Post by hondo » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:54 am

For hunting most important is to scout where deer is, which rifle that is second issue, but rule of thumb is one that you are most proficient.

Good luck.

Ad'lan
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Rabid (1977)

Post by Ad'lan » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:25 am

Which firearm you use is really academic compared to how well you shoot it, knowing what ranges you are sighted for, and how to accurately judge that range.

Knowing how to find the deer, either by stalking or predicting where they will be, is far trickier.

Are you hunting public or private land?
Do you use a stand or blind or hunt from foot?
What is the cover like, what ranges will be open to you?
What do the deer in your AO feed on at various times of the year?
Does Rifle Season coincide with the rut?
Are scents, baits or similar legal?
My Guide to making your own Bowstring
My Guide to making your own Flint Arrowheads
My Guide to Fletching
My Guide to Primitive Fletching
Cymro wrote:Seriously, I'm not sure I'd fuck with Ad'lan if he had his bow with him. I just don't see that ending well.
Please Check out my PAW Story, Fagin

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:50 am

Either the Enfield or the Marlin. Neither will help you hunt though. Successful hunting involves a lot more than grabbing a gun and heading to the woods.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:55 am

Stercutus wrote:Either the Enfield or the Marlin. Neither will help you hunt though. Successful hunting involves a lot more than grabbing a gun and heading to the woods.
This exactly. The best advice I can give is slow down. ( unless you're in a tree stand then sit still ) . The first day or two of a deer hunting vacation we always ran all over the mountain not seeing anything but tracks or a distant view of the south end of a north bound deer. by second or third day we would slow down and then start getting shot opportunities. Good luck.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:26 am

I always recommend stand hunting over bait (where legal) for those starting out with no guidance from someone on the ground. Where bait isn't legal find a good watering hole along a deer crossing trail set up a camera and wait for it. wait for it. wait for it. wait for it.....

Start off easy and work your way up to real hunting.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:13 pm

If you're stuck hunting public land, the shooting and scooting is a fun way to go. When I do the Scoot and Shoot thing, I think of it as hiking and goofing off in the woods with my rifle. My rule, and this is just me so don't thing its a great way to do things, is to walk easy for the first hour, then sit for a 30 minutes. Then slow walk for 30, then sit for 30. I take a book, too. I've caught more deer on the move while reading. It keeps me anchored and quiet. As far as scouting goes,.. its already too late for that in my AO. If you just want meat, a lot of guys are more willing to let you tag along or double up on a sit if your aim is to take a doe. Don't forget your Binos or a range finder if you have one. Don't forget your scent. Don't forget to hunt the wind (don't let them smell you). If you have a smart phone, download Hunt Stand. Its a good GPS app while showing you current wind conditions. Also will let you mark the map for crossings, sightings, raccoon poop and such. Take your scoped rifle.
Last edited by brothaman on Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

roscoe

Post by roscoe » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:15 am

If you have only one rifle, the 30-30 is a great choice. Quick shooting, light, handy, and powerful enough for everything in the lower 48. And now there are rounds customized for longer range (LeverRevolution), and heavier game (Buffalo Bore).

minengr

Post by minengr » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:38 pm

Location and wind direction are probably going to play a bigger role than which rifle you choose. I'll always take a scope over irons. Personally, I like a heavy duplex reticle when deer hunting. The majority of my deer hunting has been in fairly thick timber and it can get dark those last 10min of legal shooting time.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”