So I am taking the plunge for a carry permit. Holsters?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

Holsters

I agree ankle is the way to go. Discreet and comfortable
8%
Inside Waist carry is the most popular for a reason
76%
Pocket carry. I mean I have pockets why not use them
12%
Shoulder Holster. It was good enough for Dirty Harry
4%
Open carry?
No votes

Total votes: 25

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:30 pm

So I finally decided to get my carry permit here in TN. What are your thoughts on mode of carry? I have initially gone with an Uncle Mike's left leg inside ankle holster ( I am right handed). I will be using it for my Kahr CW380. I went with ankle holster as it is the least intrusive and I don't have to buy special belts.I thought this would be best while sitting and waist carry seemed like it would be uncomfortable. As I live in the South (God it's hot :oh: ) I didn't think shoulder holster was the way to go. If I like it I may upgrade to a better holster maybe leather? Thoughts?
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Re: So I am taking the plunge for a carry permit. Holsters?

Post by Beowolf » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:41 pm

Comp-Tac Minotaur is my favorite for inside the waistband. Galco for outside the waistband.

My personal preferences.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:45 pm

There are good, valid reasons to choose any one or several of those carry methods. There are no reasons or excuses to do any of them with a cheap holster.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:48 pm

I carry IWB between 7-10 o'clock in an AlienGear Cloaktuck 3.0 holster. Very fast to draw from, good concealment. I live in Florida and usually wear an undershirt but it's not needed with the cloaktuck because the part against your skin is neoprene and not leather.

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:18 pm

I would recommend a larger gun in a hybrid IWB. If your going to carry a gun that small may as well pocket carry it.

quazi

Post by quazi » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:32 pm

Do you think you're more likely to need a firearm in a hurry while sitting or while standing?

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:51 pm

In your particular case I think you'd be best served by the classic McClain holster....
Image.
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Hiroshima_Morphine
Favorite Zombie Movies: Gone With The Wind - wait maybe I just felt
like a zombie after watching it for the 100th time as a kid.

Post by Hiroshima_Morphine » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:52 am

Congrats! Wife and I recently sent in paperwork for our CCPs. Waiting for them to come back.

What I have heard from people who carry everyday is this.

There's no wrong way to eat a Reese's.

OK, I'm sarcastically summing up what I have heard. (Surprise!) But in a few more words, most people do not have a single mode of carry. Clothing, location and situation will determine the 'best' way for you to carry on any given day.A good holster to wear under your leather MC jacket on Saturday may not be the best to wear with your suit on Sunday.

Also, the best is the one you like and the one you will wear without fail.

Since it's the Kahr you showed us a few weeks ago, pocket might work. But is that where you want to carry it?

On open carry: I strongly disagree with this...

1) our culture has trained people to think gun = bad. You wear a gun and you make people nervous. You instantly change the dynamics of every encounter you have with people. And more business start putting up no carry notices. It's called a CONCEALED carry permit for a reason. Keep it secret; keep it safe.

2) If, God(s/ess/esses) forbid it, you ever are in a situation where your gun can save yours and others lives, wearing a gun is like wearing a target. The guy with a gun on would be the first one shot.
Commies to the left of me, Nazis to the right
Here I am stuck in the middle... with you?

Twitter: @AnonymityGone

URBAN ASSAULT

Post by URBAN ASSAULT » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:52 am

I like the SwapRig Revolution, it uses interchangeable Kydex pistol "skins" on a leather backing plate. A Kydex panel can also be inserted for additional stiffness if you prefer.

I bought it awhile ago and have been using it every day. Very happy with it so far. I can wear it IWB or OWB if I
prefer, I like that flexibility.

I normally carry a little M&P 9c, but when I feel the need with just a minute or two of work I can carry my big stainless Para Ordnance P14.45 using the same holster. In fact, SwapRig advertises that they can accommodate up to 250 different handguns, everything from a tiny NAA minimag to a .50 Desert Eagle.

One of these days I swear I'm going to buy a Viridian C5L 'cuz my old eyes suck, so for an extra 10 bucks I had SwapRig add a very strong magnet to the M&P skin to activate the ECR feature.

I know Alien Gear has the same concept but they currently didn't have a shell that would accommodate the Viridian. I called up Alien Gear to inquire if they might make a Viridian C5L shell and was politely shot down.

When I received my holster package not only was every piece wrapped in paper, there was a hand-written 'thank you' note from the owner.

Here is a link to the SwapRig holster...
http://www.swaprigholsters.com/Start_He ... s/1814.htm

-urban
Last edited by URBAN ASSAULT on Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When under imminent Predator attack, try to act all Thalidomide-y till they go away".-me
3%

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:39 am

This is rather like asking what color tie should I wear. There is a lot and I do mean a lot of personal preference involved.

I personally prefer pocket carry but that like every other method carry has its compromises, advantages and disadvantages.

If you pocket carry, carry only the firearm in that pocket. Nothing else...ever.

Also not all pockets are created equal. Some will be either too small, too big or too shallow.

If you are sitting down drawing the CCW is difficult unless you stand up.

However when you are walking around pocket carry is very discrete and allows you to simply put your hand in your pocket as if you are getting your keys if you see something that makes you nervous.

The other reason I pocket carry is a risk of carjacking is very high in my area. They like to wait until you are in the car and put a gun to your head. It make drawing an unwise choice. Pocket carry (since it is discrete) allows me a reasonable probability to exit the vehicle, give them the car keys and retreat with my CCW and thereby chose to engage on my own terms or retreat as I deem appropriate.

Still this is all personal preference and opinion.

YMMV!

BTW I sit at my desk almost all day. I remove my CCW form my pocket and place it in a discrete place within arms reach in my office. This is how I get around the sitting issue with pocket carry at the office. Not all offices will let you do this and not all offices are as secure as mine where this is a safe thing to do.

Again YMMV.

Yes I know people will disagree and argue over what I do ... but too bad ... YMMV.

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:22 pm

I'll chime in and say you should at least try appendix carry, especially with such a small gun you should be able to wear just about anything you want (build depending). On holsters in general I am firmly team Kydex.

Appendix carry means I can carry in board shorts and a t-shirt, or in full winter regalia, gives you the best retention options, you can keep tabs on if you are printing, and you have fast access with either hand in any position. I use a slide-mounted pocket clip in conjunction with a "MIC" style trigger guard holster, while some people get antsy about carrying there you are plenty safe with a DOA and a quality holster.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:45 pm

Sure there is. I am going with a cheap test run. This is something I am trying for the first time. Here is an analogy from the mists of time. Sometime in the late 80's- 90's, depending on your location, the world decided roller skates didn't cut it anymore.Everyone was now wearing Inline skates :cry:. So one day you decided to buy inline skates. Now, you had an idea of what they would be like but you were not sure if this was for you. So did you go out and buy the most expensive pair right out the bat? If you were me you bought the cheapest and therefore ugliest and most uncomfortable pair there was. I remember them fondly I got them even cheaper because they were purple and no other guys were self confident enough (or cheap enough depending on your point of view) to purchase them.
yossarian wrote:There are good, valid reasons to choose any one or several of those carry methods. There are no reasons or excuses to do any of them with a cheap holster.

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:47 pm

Don't think it didn't cross my mind.
LowKey wrote:In your particular case I think you'd be best served by the classic McClain holster....
Image.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:17 pm

There's inexpensive and then there's cheap. Did you stick with those rollerblades long enough to make up your mind. If they were crappy and uncomfortable, how could you really tell if the concept in general would work? I'm not a holster snob and I certainly don't think anyone should go out and blow a months salary dollars on a custom horsehide carry rig for their first holster. But, especially with an ankle holster, you won't really get an idea of how comfortable it is to walk in, how complicated it is to draw from, how secure it is etc. from a cheap one size fits some. I honestly think that if you've looked at pro's and con's of ankle carry, and decided that it's limited applications fit somewhere in your plans then you'd get a better feel for it with a decent, mid-grade holster.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:27 pm

I learned that I didn't like that my ankles were locked in place and that I definitely prefer a brake on the front than on the rear. I am just testing if I like the mode of carry. Do I want to strap it on every morning, does it interfere with normal everyday tasks, is the weight of the gun a problem, can I see myself commiting to carry at all? It's really just to test the concept. If I decide it's something I want to then I will upgrade later.

yossarian wrote:There's inexpensive and then there's cheap. Did you stick with those rollerblades long enough to make up your mind. If they were crappy and uncomfortable, how could you really tell if the concept in general would work? I'm not a holster snob and I certainly don't think anyone should go out and blow a months salary dollars on a custom horsehide carry rig for their first holster. But, especially with an ankle holster, you won't really get an idea of how comfortable it is to walk in, how complicated it is to draw from, how secure it is etc. from a cheap one size fits some. I honestly think that if you've looked at pro's and con's of ankle carry, and decided that it's limited applications fit somewhere in your plans then you'd get a better feel for it with a decent, mid-grade holster.

brothaman

Post by brothaman » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:59 am

McClain carry is a seasonal choice. XMas only.

For CC I keep coming back to the Hybrid (Leather/Kydex) type IWB holsters like the Comptac Minotaur and the Crossbreed Supertuck. There's a ton of different brands. I like the looks of that Swap Rig Revolution setup that someone linked.
It stops being funny when it starts being you.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:39 pm

Aliengear IWB appendix carry or Galco OWB 4 O'Clock for me.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:17 am

Second for Crossbreed Supertuck, at least for IWB.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

minengr

Post by minengr » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:57 pm

Dark Star Appendix IWB for my Glock 43 is my current goto.
Bullet drop is physics, reading wind is voodoo

SRO1911

Post by SRO1911 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:41 pm

I have only been carrying for a few decades, and have only taught a few hundred classes - ymmv.

1. You may find a good cheap holster, you may also win the lottery.
2. Everyone is different, there is absolutely NO universal solution.
3. Carrying a gun should be comforting, comfortable takes time.
4. would you put a 100 dollar set of no name tires on your family wagon, then hit the highway? Buy a good holster.
5. Practice how you carry, carry how you practice.
6. Anywhere other than the poles or equator require seasonal changes, more than one good holster helps.
7. Carry the biggest thing you WILL carry - the 32 in your pocket is worlds better than hogleg in your safe that was too much trouble today.
8. Carry
9. Marketing is designed to inspire desire in everyone - dont be everyone.
10. The best holster and pistol for you, is what fits you best.

Now, all that being said - I used an ankle holster for many years carrying a S&W model 36 as a backup. I never had a significant problem, however I do now have problems with that ankle - doc blames the pistol.
My every day carry varies slightly depending on what I am doing. I alternate between an XD 45 tactical and a full size 1911 - each in their respective galco fletch owb with thumb snap (open carry is legal in Texas - I carry full size at work under an untucked polo "casual concealed"). This is my mostly season carry - in Texas (we only have 2 seasons, mostly hot and kinda cool) and would probably not be appropriate for people whos employer doesn't consider ammo a regular bonus.
In the kinda season, or the other rare occasions a jacket - suit or winter - I use a galco vertical shoulder holster.
Back up goes in a cargo pocket by itself in a sticky holster.
This is my preference - a fat guy whos office is a pickup, who shoots a lot, who is obligated to make people unhappy from time to time, who goes from the boardroom to the fire scene to the animal shelter to the cab of a dozer to .... sometimes in the same day.

HFlier

Post by HFlier » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:48 am

Been carrying for 15 years daily. Lessons learned. OWB is so comfortable I forget about. Therefore I carry always. I went through dozens of holsters before I settled on simple open top leather belt holster.

Started with tiny guns as I was paranoid. Now I carry a cannon and most people never even notice and oh well if they do. I don't carry open, but I am no longer paranoid a about a little printing.

Mouse guns are backup guns. Carry a real pistol. My thinking is if I need it I want to be sure it will get the job done.

Carry always, the run ins I have had that it may have come close to having to draw have been random encounters like going to the doctors office, pumping gas etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neptune Glory
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, The Crow (technically a Zombie!), Lost Boys (Vampires are Zombies, too!)

Post by Neptune Glory » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:50 pm

I carry two most of the time, a Glock 19 and a Glock 26. The G26 I also wear on my left ankle. The G19 I'm usually carrying in a SmartCarry holster, which I wear under my pants. It carries the G19 and a spare magazine held over my groin.

I work in a hospital, and often wear scrubs to and from work. With the SmartCarry, I don't need a belt. When I'm off work and just wearing shorts, I use it then as well.

Just my two cents,
-Neptune
"When it comes to justifiable use of deadly force, you should seek to avoid confrontation, unless you have no choice and your life is on the line. This is easier to say than to do because it requires that you be calm and peace-loving throughout your life, but ready to use deadly force at any moment."

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:12 pm

An update: I have been carrying for a week now. I decided to toss the upper calf strap as it was uncomfortable. I dont even see why they included it for this size holster as there is no movement of the gun without it. Currently I dont carry with a round in the chamber but that may change in time or I may switch to a snubby revolver. For now the holster seems to meet my needs and without the top strap is comfortable. For the money spent I am pleased :)

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:53 pm

Thought I posted on this thread. Probably spent fifteen minutes typing out all my thoughts only to forget to hit submit. ( or worse posted it to another thread that has nothing to do with this ). But anyway good thing I didn't since you like the ankle carry and I hated it. Uncomfortable, my job was physical and even if it didn't feel like it was a strain while working, I would end up walking different by the end of the night. Harder to access too. Good thing I never needed to while I was trying it out. But this just goes to show, to each their own. Glad you found something you like. :clap:

( still bet you eventually change to a owb or iwb holster )
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”