Any incipient panic buying in your AO?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Re: Any incipient panic buying in your AO?

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:02 am

... sorry, was that political?
Here's the litmus test: if you have to ask the question, then yeah, it's probably political and shouldn't be posted.

Please let's keep this thread from being hijacked, then locked up by the mods. There are a multitude of forums where one can vent to one's heart's content about bans and such. This isn't one of them. So let's keep the focus on the topic at hand: supply, demand and potential imbalances to same.

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:44 am

Stopped into Bass Pro yesterday on my way home, looked like business as usual. They had plenty of .223/5.56 in stock. Pretty good foot traffic but nothing outside the norm.

I wonder if the shock of the talking heads has started to wear off, it seems like last time there was a big whoop-de-doo in the media people were buying shopping cart loads of whatever ammo they could get their hands on.
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:12 pm

roOism wrote:Stopped into Bass Pro yesterday on my way home, looked like business as usual. They had plenty of .223/5.56 in stock. Pretty good foot traffic but nothing outside the norm.

I wonder if the shock of the talking heads has started to wear off, it seems like last time there was a big whoop-de-doo in the media people were buying shopping cart loads of whatever ammo they could get their hands on.
Bass Pro is actually a good check. Since they are full retail people mostly they get shopped by people with money or by people who can't find what they need at discount stores. So if Bass Pro is getting hammered and sold out then the market is getting really tight.

If Bass Pro were really busy it would not surprise me though. Tomorrow is Father's Day.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:44 pm

I am at the local big gun show and there is a large crowd with lots of firearm arms and ammo going out the door. Surprisingly prices are a bit lower than I remember. They typically were more expensive and in line with Cabellas locally.
Last edited by raptor on Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:13 pm

After the repeated panic-buying of recent years, only to subside into a market glut, maybe people are getting jaded and recognizing that calls for stricter gun control will not automatically translate into a new assault weapons ban. I'm also wondering what percentage of "panic buyers" are actually speculators hoping to make a fast buck on over-hyped fear and alarm. Last but not least, I wonder that what extent new, non-"traditional" demographics might be gunning up, i.e. LBGT and women.

In general there seems to be a deep-seated unease about what may be coming down the pike in the next few months. Some of the concerns seem valid, others maybe less so, but the net effect will likely be continued strong demand for firearms and preparedness supplies.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:50 pm

I couldn't find any "AR-47s" in my AO. Must be all sold out.

http://buzzpo.com/dick-durbin-says-no-s ... -illinois/

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:14 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:I couldn't find any "AR-47s" in my AO. Must be all sold out.

http://buzzpo.com/dick-durbin-says-no-s ... -illinois/
http://palmettostatearmory.com/ks-47-ar ... /ar47.html
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

hondo

Post by hondo » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:54 pm

No panic around here, while gun shops have received emails from manufacturers saying be ready and place your orders due to being election year those emails went out few days before Orlando.

Wal Mart has plenty of 9,40,45, 223, 7,62x39 , in gun shops plenty of all kinds of black rifles and handguns.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:14 pm

raptor wrote:I am at the local big gun show and there is a large crowd with lots of firearm arms and ammo going out the door. Surprisingly prices are a bit lower than I remember. They typically were more expensive and in line with Cabellas locally.
OK a more detailed report...Lots of ammo even .22lr at semi-reasonable prices, about equal to mail order if you include shipping costs.

A lot or AR and AR uppers. There were a bunch of Ruger AR-15 for $675 to $699. This is the low end model. The funny thing was that the Mini-14 and Mini-30 were selli g side by side at $799.

Lots of Glocks, XD, S&W & Rugers in all shapes and sizes.
Very few AKs though and the few that were there were either used or CAI versions selling for $799 to $899.

I spoke to several vendors and they said business was great. They said the Father's Day weekend show is always busy and they always sell a lot.

I asked about why no AKs they said demand drives thier inventory and what I saw waa what people wanted.

While not exactly statistically siginfo can't in terms of sample size or process one can draw the conclusion that a majority of people of NOLA prefer ARs to AKs and Glock, XD, Ruger and S&W are the preferred hand gun in the area... at least this week anyway :D

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:53 pm

raptor wrote:
Very few AKs though and the few that were there were either used or CAI versions selling for $799 to $899.

I spoke to several vendors and they said business was great. They said the Father's Day weekend show is always busy and they always sell a lot.

I asked about why no AKs they said demand drives thier inventory and what I saw waa what people wanted.

While not exactly statistically siginfo can't in terms of sample size or process one can draw the conclusion that a majority of people of NOLA prefer ARs to AKs .....at least this week anyway :D
What is up with the people in New Orleans?!?!? :cry: Oh well, I"ll go caress my AK some more....
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:25 pm

I would not assume my observation was anything more than a one time anomaly. I would note that I saw a lot of 7.62x39mm going out the door. I also see a lot of AKs on the range.

That said with price points of ARs locally going sub $600 and AKs pricing above $600 the pricing may have something to do with it right now.

Me I swing both ways ... AR or AK ... let the good times roll.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:30 pm

raptor wrote:I would not assume my observation was anything more than a one time anomaly. I would note that I saw a lot of 7.62x39mm going out the door. I also see a lot of AKs on the range.

That said with price points of ARs locally going sub $600 and AKs pricing above $600 the pricing may have something to do with it right now.

Me I swing both ways ... AR or AK ... let the good times roll.
Well I think your eyes are pretty good. I"ll bet AKs are up there in price because they move at that price, and the supply is relatively low due to both higher demand and less domestic manufacturing.

I have a place in my heart for ARs. Particularly when I start carrying upwards of 200 rnds :mrgreen:
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

tid
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days, Dawn of the Dead, Omega Man, Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead

Post by tid » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:22 am

nothing major in SW washington and NW Oregon. Ammo still on shelves. No 22LR on shelves in some locations, but I did see some banners on a couple of shops announcing "We have .22 LR!"

I think many is preppers did the right thing and began stocking up on magazines after the sunset of the 94 AWB. I did inventory on my mags for my primary "sewing machines", I am good to go.
NRA Certified Instructor Pistol, Rifle, Personal Protection in the Home
NRA Range Safety Officer
Glock Certified Armorer

ultra magnus

Post by ultra magnus » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:16 pm

Right now century has a pretty good stranglehold on the sub $1000ak market. There cost from distributors is always in flux and they keep it as high as they can get away with. They will jump $75 over night so dealers will slow down on there orders and century they will drop down $50 and orders will pick back up. They are constantly trying to feel out the most they can squeeze out of the ak market.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:53 pm

A local gun forum has a sub-forum for private ammo sales. I easily picked up some deals on ammo and the sellers said that they did not see any panic buying of their offerings.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:53 pm

Raptor said: Me I swing both ways ... AR or AK ... let the good times roll.
That's good - come the PAW you'll have a shooter, and a club....

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:03 pm

Went to Cabela's up in Buda today to pick up one of their exclusive to them gray storm cases (not even offered through Pelican). Tons of everything from guns to ammo...and no limits on any type of ammo and they even had shelf after shelf of every flavor of .22LR; again no limits.

I picked up a couple boxes of Mini Mags at $8.99 just because I couldn't stand to leave a whole shelf without grabbing something!

I did note the entire rack of Century Arms AKs (2 shelves, both sides), were $840-$900 and the rack of DPMS ARs were $600. Interesting...
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:43 pm

Everything seems normal even with everything going on with the .gov

But for me, I just decided to buy what I've been eyeballing for a while and I got the best price on a Father's day sale. So I guess sales and possible shortages made it a perfect storm of purchasing.

I wouldn't be impulse buying like so many have done before, I don't think it's very dire right now.
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:10 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:Everything seems normal even with everything going on with the .gov

I wonder if the market is still at the saturation level, or the ammo manufacturers are moving so much more compared to spring of '13 that there is still plenty on the shelves, which all on it's own would probably prevent a panic.

Like I said, AR/AK mags seem to be moving fairly briskly at a few of my LGS's(I've walked in a few times and seen the shelf empty). I'll also note that PSA stopped selling those D&H 30 rounders at $7 a pop and bumped them to $9 a pop.

hondo

Post by hondo » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:46 am

Not even price increase.

aikorob

Post by aikorob » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:18 pm

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Jul 09, 2016 6:39 pm

Went to Speciality Sports, a local favorite of firearms afficionados. Didn't seem to be any heavier traffic or sense of urgency than any other Saturday, though a clerk told me more women had been coming in with husbands/BFs to consider first-time firearms purchases, and there seemed to be more apparent first-time buyers looking for guidance on what to buy. So even though the fear channels have been waxing dire in their predictions of a hot summer, no one in my AO seems unduly concerned, though the events of the past week are stirring a fair amount of unease about where the country is headed.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:25 pm

I sent the son to the grocery to pick up a few things. This is normally a ten minute trip. He returned an hour later. He said there was a "huge line" of people buying groceries.

There were four people in line. You see our little grocery never has more than one person in line so four people in line just seemed crazy to him.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:57 pm

Kalifornia is seeing a huge spike in ammo sale thanks to more boneheaded legislation Guv. Moonbeam just signed. (Please no political discussion). The local Walmart glass cabinets are 95% empty. Up until then there was no big rush on ammo.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”