Any incipient panic buying in your AO?

General discussions regarding topics that aren't covered in one of the other sub-forums. NO DISCUSSION OF POLITICS!

Moderators: ZS Global Moderators, ZS Postal Match Officers

aikorob

Any incipient panic buying in your AO?

Post by aikorob » Sun May 29, 2016 10:08 am

hard to keep politics out of this..................because that will be the driver

It seems that hardware and ammo stocks are up and prices have come down (except for .22LR--WTF?) ---just in time for the November follies.
If the Dems lose control---the current occupier will probably lash out in petulant rage with a flurry of "executive actions"----and panic will ensue.
If she wins---greater panic will ensue.

Has anyone seen or heard any rumblings toward such a panic? I have talked to a few folks, and while they have:
1. mentioned both scenarios
2. said "I probably need to start stocking ammo"

none of them have actually started buying anything
I have been behind the curve the past few times---not a good place to be---so I am doing my best to make sure it doesn't happen again.
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Any incipient panic buying in your AO?

Post by teotwaki » Sun May 29, 2016 10:40 am

No panic here. SOS. California is ahead of the curve banning or restricting pretty much everything.

I have seen some strange buy outs of camping and survival gear at three different stores. Storm proof matches gone. Iso-butane canisters gone. Zippo lighters gone. White gas gone. One store that is going out of business had all of their hiking boots cleaned out in one day. Probably other stuff that I missed.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun May 29, 2016 1:08 pm

No panic buying here. In fact if anything it appears that ammo is finally becoming available.
.22 rf is almost in general supply, except for walmart.

However the local significant uptick in unemployment and business downturn may have something to do with the fact ammo is becoming avilable. The dismal economic outlook and recent state elimination of tax breaks for prep gear, hurricane supplies may also impact the purchasing habits of our local community.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Sun May 29, 2016 1:57 pm

Things are the same in central Indiana, lots of everything except .22lr, which has never come back to pre-original panic status. I see it at some places at sometimes but always expensive. Other ammo prices are ok. I think it will be months before we see any changes, based on past panic patterns.

Oh, and I n b 4 de lock!
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

ManInBlack316
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ManInBlack316 » Sun May 29, 2016 3:10 pm

No panic buying in central Florida yet, 22lr is still unavailable at walmart but is available at local shops for decent prices. Mags are available locally, but overpriced as always so they may be available some time into the panic buying if it starts.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun May 29, 2016 3:45 pm

teotwaki wrote:No panic here. SOS. California is ahead of the curve banning or restricting pretty much everything.

I have seen some strange buy outs of camping and survival gear at three different stores. Storm proof matches gone. Iso-butane canisters gone. Zippo lighters gone. White gas gone. One store that is going out of business had all of their hiking boots cleaned out in one day. Probably other stuff that I missed.
Or it could just be summer.

And no, nothing. Pretty much everyone I know and work with owns a number of guns and no one seems the least bit stressed. In fact sales are a bit down. Someone was going to open another gun shop in our little town (sixth one if you don't count Walmart) but it seems to be on hold. I might shop some around Christmas time if there are some good sales out there.

The post Sandy Hook panic demand was the worst I have seen since the original AWB. I doubt we will see that again any time soon. If we do there is so much stock on the shelves and in warehouses I don't see how demand could outpace supply (of guns). The supply of ammo is much less elastic but I've caught up pretty much on everything (except .22) to weather another multi-year shortage.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Sun May 29, 2016 7:47 pm

Last couple of times I walked into a gun store with in the last 2 months. They were all or almost all sold out of sub compact pistols. They had full size and compact as far as the eye could see. I asked what the deal was and the guys behind the counters said women were all buying them up. That was all they were looking for. I applaud more ladies getting intersted I just wondered what the reason was. Oh and as everyone also stated 22 lr is still expensive and in less quantity.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Sun May 29, 2016 9:06 pm

aikorob wrote: If the Dems lose control---the current occupier will probably lash out in petulant rage with a flurry of "executive actions"----and panic will ensue.
Any evidence that this is true?
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun May 29, 2016 11:37 pm

Just the opposite here... Almost everything cheaper than I've ever seen it.

No limits on .22LR around here anymore either.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon May 30, 2016 10:23 am

I actually saw .22 rf in stock in retail stores in NOLA. So the supply is still there. To me the stock of .22 rf is good guage (no pun intended) of the firearm purchasing public.
The fact that more is becoming available indicates to me that panic buying is not occuring

I did see where a new record of firearm background checks occured in 2015. So I would assume at some we should see firearm sales slow albeit in relation to the recent very demand.

BTW please do keep the subject to panic buying and any shortages you have encountered.

Phoenix David
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I am legend, Omega man

Post by Phoenix David » Mon May 30, 2016 1:19 pm

Have seen a good deal more powder available, time to replenish my stock that had got low.
Nobody ever wishes they brought a smaller gun to a gun fight

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon May 30, 2016 9:34 pm

KYZHunters wrote:
aikorob wrote: If the Dems lose control---the current occupier will probably lash out in petulant rage with a flurry of "executive actions"----and panic will ensue.
Any evidence that this is true?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Post by Dragon80 » Mon May 30, 2016 11:03 pm

FlashDaddy wrote:Things are the same in central Indiana, lots of everything except .22lr, which has never come back to pre-original panic status. I see it at some places at sometimes but always expensive. Other ammo prices are ok. I think it will be months before we see any changes, based on past panic patterns.

Oh, and I n b 4 de lock!

Still can't find much 22LR in ECI, have to travel to get any reliably but then again I don't buy/need much.
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Tue May 31, 2016 3:19 am

Standard mags seem to have been on a slow boil for the past few months here in NOVA, while there isn't a complete emptying of the selves yet, a few of my LGSs are reporting a fairly steady flow out and them having to increase inflow. I suspect that the various manufacturers have really cranked it up in anticipation of election season.

A local arsenal/gunsmith place that makes their own ARs told me they have an extended waiting period right now for parts.

I'd say that, more than anything, NFA items are what's happening in terms of "panic buying", but that is more a reflection of the rule change than the oncoming election...probably.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue May 31, 2016 12:04 pm

Stercutus wrote:....snip...Or it could just be summer.....snip...
I agree that it could be nothing but after all the years of living in this area it is just..... odd. I did not see the green canisters of Coleman propane get hit at all. That is what all of the cheapo Chinese gear uses. The boots disappearing was weird but that was probably just some small shoe store buying the whole stock.

This weekend is the local gun show and if I go I will report back to ZS about any trending.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue May 31, 2016 12:25 pm

In my area, I am not seeing panic buying. There are still residuals though; so, when the advertisements in the Sunday paper lists something like : "Limit 2 boxes of .22LR per customer" people tend to think there is a shortage and buy as much as they can. The talk has started though in some of the circles I frequent. Ammo is readily available especially if you are willing to go in with friends to by bulk amounts.

This time, I do not think party affiliation will have much to do with the scramble and I predict it will be quite large.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

12_Gauge_Chimp
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by 12_Gauge_Chimp » Tue May 31, 2016 1:37 pm

Not seeing any panic buying here in my AO, although I am seeing a bunch of idiots trying to sell their crappy guns for three times what the MSRP is on local sales boards.

Other than that, no panic buying here.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue May 31, 2016 3:55 pm

Asymetryczna wrote:In my area, I am not seeing panic buying. There are still residuals though; so, when the advertisements in the Sunday paper lists something like : "Limit 2 boxes of .22LR per customer" people tend to think there is a shortage and buy as much as they can. The talk has started though in some of the circles I frequent. Ammo is readily available especially if you are willing to go in with friends to by bulk amounts.

This time, I do not think party affiliation will have much to do with the scramble and I predict it will be quite large.
I think the .22lr "shortage" is on shaky ground. The last gun show I went to the Walmart resellers had tons of 550rd boxes (for $.09/rd) that was going out the door cheaper than that and very slowly. The last time I was in a store that had some cheap ammo with a 3 box limit the counter guy sold me 6 boxes (3 for me and 3 for the not present wife) and showed no real shortage on hand.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue May 31, 2016 4:24 pm

This what I remember seeing. March 2016 is a "new record" in that March 2016 had more gun sales than any previous March.
http://freebeacon.com/issues/march-sees ... gun-sales/

The headline is a truthful statement but it is somewhat fine point in that there were 2.5 million checks done in March 2016 vs. 3.3 million in Dec 2015 and 2.6 million in Feb 2016.

This is a link to the NIC checks by month since 1998 where I got my data.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/ ... h_year.pdf

Checks are at a high level but are starting to trend down after a very busy Nov & Dec 2015 and a still robust Jan & Feb 2016.

You will also note that Apr 2016 is likewise down vs Mar 2016.

Now what this does tell me is that there are a lot more firearms that will need ammo while at the same tie demand for firearms is trending down.

aikorob

Post by aikorob » Tue May 31, 2016 4:38 pm

raptor wrote:
Now what this does tell me is that there are a lot more firearms that will need ammo while at the same tie demand for firearms is trending down.
gotta feed your babies :lol:
I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue May 31, 2016 4:46 pm

Stercutus wrote:I think the .22lr "shortage" is on shaky ground.
Agree completely!! Hoarders are hitting WalMarts that do not stock that much ammo in the first place. Lazy people view an empty WalMart shelf as a sure sign of a "shortage". I can go online and buy 5000 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag .22 LR 40 Gr CPRN shipped to my door. Not 6 cents a round but no shortage either.

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Tue May 31, 2016 5:29 pm

This may have happened before but what is new to me this time is people buying easily sold items, on the cheap, with the intent to (some have said, "shamelessly") profit off of the next panic. I am not sure it is wise to try and depend on something like hysteria but I do admire the initiative.
I am not a 'gray man'. I am a brown man, coyote brown. With FDE highlights, of course.

emclean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido
Zombieland

Post by emclean » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:45 am

aikorob wrote:I have been behind the curve the past few times---not a good place to be---so I am doing my best to make sure it doesn't happen again.
I stumbled across a good compromise between expense, and return when the last major panic hit. that summer I had bought 12 stripped lowers for some thing like $35 each, and turned a couple around for $150 when no one had them.
the $99 plastic complete lowers I was able to unload for $300 each, and the LGS was very happy to get them.
AIM surplus has Anderson lowers for $40 ea right now.

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:57 am

Yep. No shortage. Its the power of marketing. I suspect this winter will be an extremely lucrative one for many.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Return to “General Firearms Discussion”